homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds like my sort of weekend, La Vie - glad to hear you were feeling well enough to enjoy it. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear - I seem to have been head hunted. Another headteacher has seen the art work I've done in my school (I teach just one afternoon a week) I have agreed to do another afternoon each week for her.

It's a battle to stay retired!!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just make sure your head stays firmly on your shoulders [Smile] Good luck!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thought the Scrabblists among you would like to know - I just got 175 points in Scrabble Blast for FIZZ.

One of the "Z"s on a double-letter square, the other on a triple-letter, and the "F" on a triple-word square.

How often is that going to happen? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done you!

I'm still trying to beat my personal best of 1237 in three rounds. It ain't easy but actually it does sharpen up your thinking and improve your vocabulary. As well as spark creativity as you "discover" words that apparently don't exist, but ought to. So thanks for that.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That game really is an incredible time waster, I love it!

Aussie guest has gone - we got up at 02:00 to run him to the station as his train was at 03:35! I've since checked and it arrived almost on time after a run of 48 hours and a couple of thousand kilometres.

Also last night was a party preparatory to a wedding today - the music was horribly loud but it is all over now. The food at the feast is best not discussed!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Ariel's right - word games definitely improve the mind. Especially cryptic crossword puzzles* - we often find ourselves building up a word from the elements in the clue, and looking it up to find if it actually exists ...

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... The food at the feast is best not discussed!

Because it was (a) so good we'll all be envious; (b) so bad you don't even want to think about it; or (c) so abundant that you can't move?

[Big Grin]

* The Grauniad is particularly good, and their entire on-line crossword archive is free, unlike the Times and the Torygraph.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly it was [b] - and we didn't go back to the wedding reception itself today as we couldn't face more of the same.

I have just heard the drums welcoming back bride and groom as the first night, or sometimes more, is spent at the bride's home.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Ariel's right - word games definitely improve the mind. Especially cryptic crossword puzzles* - we often find ourselves building up a word from the elements in the clue, and looking it up to find if it actually exists ...

This is where I fall down. I generally think of myself as a reasonably intelligent chap, but I've never managed to successfully get a single cryptic clue! I try every now and then. Maybe after seeing the answer, I can see how 1 in 4 works, but most remain a mystery even after you know the answer. I stick to Sudoku - pure logic.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Part of the key to cryptic crosswords is practice: once you've been doing them for a wee while, you get to know the "code". Roman numerals, abbreviations, musical terms, chemical symbols, acronyms, knowing that STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS ...

It doesn't hurt to be good at solving anagrams (apparently more likely if your left eye is the dominant one. No - I don't understand that either). A good trick for anagram-solving (passed on to me by a late fellow-cruciverbalist) is to write the letters to be sorted out in a circle, with the letter "E" (if there is one) in the middle.

There are also what D. and I call "crossword words" which seem to crop up regularly in crosswords but rarely in Real Life™, such as EYOT, UPAS (a kind of poisonous tree) and EGRET.

Oh yes, and 24 down is usually either ETNA or ANTE. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've seen those in retrospect, but it's never clear precisely which words in the clue form the anagram. It might a 6 letter word you're after, but the clue contains three 6 letter words. As a mathematician by training, I'm inclined first to calculate the number of permutations and if it seems to be a reasonable, I write them all systematically and see if any fit.

Yet some people can read something like "The fourth crow flies at midnight in this Siberian breakfast" and in 10 seconds work out the answer is "Titanic".

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
734 in Ariel's Scrabble. A nice way of killing time. [Big Grin]

But please carry on. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eeeek - Piglet's game, really. Sorry!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Yet some people can read something like "The fourth crow flies at midnight in this Siberian breakfast" and in 10 seconds work out the answer is "Titanic".

You get used to it. My father showed me how to do these and I used to enjoy them to the extent of even buying a book of Daily Telegraph Cryptic Crosswords. Then I stopped doing them and over the years I've almost completely forgotten how to do these. Anyhow here's what I remember with a made-up clue for example:

"Upset maiden has average statistics (6)" - the trick is to look for words that suggest you need to find an anagram (or something else you do with words). "Upset" is the word in this case and the word that follows it is "maiden" so you're looking at finding an anagram of "maiden". You'll know it's right if the second half of the clue "average statistics" ties in with your anagram. In this case, the word to fill in the crossword blanks is "median" which does indeed tie in with the concept of statistics and has six letters.

It isn't always an anagram, it can be the beginning of one word running into the end of another, or losing some letters from another word, but the clue will be there.

I don't know if it's still true but a woman in Fiji used to hold the record for having taken the longest time to complete a cryptic crossword. She started it in about 1952, and ended up pinning it on the back of the kitchen door and revisiting it every day. She finally solved the last clue in 1970-something.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We were doing a very clever Grauniad crossword the other day which had a pair of clues (22 across and 24 down) which came out as BARRY JOHN. There were references in several of the other clues to rugby if the reference was 22 24, and film scores by John Barry (the bloke who wrote the James Bond music) if the reference was 24 22. Now that's what I call properly cryptic!

In other news, we're having some very unseasonal weather: it's just gone midnight and it's currently 7°C and raining merrily to melt what's left of the snow.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bunthorne and Araucaria in the Guardian often do/did those themed crosswords, and they are/were both capable of setting clues that are/were anagrams of the answer.

Good cryptic clues make you laugh because they have a wicked sense of humour and the cluing is so neat, no additional words involved. (Can you tell I miss Araucaria?) One clue like this had a work colleague chuckling: Overflow! (4)*.

The clues that you can build out of the component parts aren't always so satisfying as they show their working more obviously.

* the answer is wolf - because it's flow backwards, clued by the "over".

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Piglet, I'm managing Assistant [just] quite regularly now but Initiate, at 2000 points, seems as far away as ever.

Can anyone answer me as to why a quick dash to the supermarket can so often end up costing more that a planned visit?

...and I didn't even buy any cheese - but only because it was the wrong supermarket!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Can anyone answer me as to why a quick dash to the supermarket can so often end up costing more that a planned visit?

I can. It's because it's not a planned visit! Far more scope for impulse buys. Planned visits = lists and sensible head [Smile]

I don't speak from experience as Mr Boogs is the chef and thus does all the food shopping, but that's what I'm told. When Mr Boogs is away I do all my shopping online.

I do go in shops regularly with the pup - but I pretend to shop and concentrate on training, which is fine. I hate hate shopping. I've never been to the Trafford Centre and I never will!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How does 'over' clue backwards?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curiosity, I miss Auracaria too! I used to love his jigsaw puzzles - you'd think you could never get there - but he always left a clue as to where to start!

LeRoc - the "over" in the clue tells you to reverse a word, in this case "flow". Which equals Wolf.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Nicodemia: LeRoc - the "over" in the clue tells you to reverse a word
Yes I understand this. I think this is as in 'turn it over'?

I don't think cryptic crosswords are for me. I'm another Sudoku fan.

I tried Piglet's scrabble (I propose that we officially baptise it this way), but it didn't do much for me. After a while, the board just clogs up with letters you can't use. And it didn't let me use the word 'wanker'.

[ 05. February 2016, 10:39: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am still to break the barrier of 1000 points on piglet’s game. I’m rather pleased it accepts the word “yikes” though.

The Telegraph cryptic crossword is my number one bonding activity with my Dad.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
After a while, the board just clogs up with letters you can't use. And it didn't let me use the word 'wanker'.

It wouldn't let me have that either, but I did score quite a lot of points with another word not generally used in polite company which is a technical term for a rude part. I think I got something like 72 points for it.

If the board clogs up with letters you can't use, just click on "exchange".

I like Sudoku as well but go through phases with puzzles when I get bored and move on to something else. Currently it's word games and anagrams.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
...I've never been to the Trafford Centre and I never will!

I've been, many years ago, and it was even worse than I feared it might be - and the appalling pastiche architecture is quite [Projectile]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Is there a link for this game?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Here's the Scrabble Blast link, Sipech.
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I am still to break the barrier of 1000 points on piglet’s game ...

I managed 2113 points last night - probably more by luck than judgement. I'm an Initiate! [Yipee]
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity Killed:
Can you tell I miss Araucaria?

Don't we all? [Frown]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: If the board clogs up with letters you can't use, just click on "exchange".
But can't you just keep clicking on exchange then until you find a nice juicy word that will give you a lot of points?

quote:
Sipech: Is there a link for this game?
Are you sure??

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
quote:
Sipech: Is there a link for this game?
Are you sure??
Tomorrow morning, I'm attending a seminar entitled 'Eternal Destruction and the Antichrist'. Would you seek to deny me a gentle distraction?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Destroying the anti-Christ is easy compared to this.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
* the answer is wolf - because it's flow backwards, clued by the "over".

Shouldn't part of the clue be a definition?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Usually yes, but sometimes the setters have "not further defined" clues which follow a theme. They'd usually warn you about that at the start, although I've seen the occasional one where it appears they've forgotten to add a definition.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My favourite crossword clue remains: 'H I J K L M N O (5 letters)'
Water. H to O.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That overflow clue had an exclamation mark and may have been in capitals or bold - as in crying wolf. It stood out from the other clues somehow.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
But can't you just keep clicking on exchange then until you find a nice juicy word that will give you a lot of points?

No, because it's got a timer on it so you can only do it once per round. Or something. I haven't quite figured out whether it's a set interval or time because I don't really use it much.

I've started a Word Games thread in the Circus in case people want to suggest some other fun games, or try to beat Piglet's amazing scores.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: No, because it's got a timer on it so you can only do it once per round. Or something.
That's better. At least then you have to think strategically about when to use it.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely. I usually try not to use it until I'm halfway through the round, but sometimes you have no choice.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

To revert to the topic of the weather, there have been hours of rain and gales which have brought down trees and flooded various bits of the country. I don't envy anyone trying to travel anywhere this evening.

Went out for lunch today in a Thai restaurant where they do an all-you-can-eat buffet. I hadn't been there for a few years but it was just the same as I remembered and still very pleasant. Chinese New Year is this weekend - I'm hoping that I might be able to catch a glimpse of a dragon somewhere. The London celebrations always look wonderful, but seem so crowded that (like the Notting Hill Carnival) I've never actually gone to them.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I suspect that we're all still reeling from the side-effects of that storm that hit the eastern US the other week: we've had fairly wildly fluctuating temperatures and it was blowing a hoolie here this morning (although later in the day it was cloudless and rather nice).

I think we're maybe gearing up for a spot of sn*w next week, although as yet I don't think they've decided just how much.

The less the merrier, if you ask me. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just watching "Me and My Guide Dog" (the UK version). What amazing work the Guide Dog Association and puppy walkers like Boogie do! I support the NSW/ACT equivalent and I'm more glad than ever that I do.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Its stopped raining and the sun's out! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Same here, but we are due more heavy rain and high winds later!
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm giving up storms for Lent.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
Just watching "Me and My Guide Dog" (the UK version). What amazing work the Guide Dog Association and puppy walkers like Boogie do! I support the NSW/ACT equivalent and I'm more glad than ever that I do.

Thank you Kittyville! Twiglet is away with boarders at the moment as we are off to Heidelberg this week - I'm missing her already! (She's in Bracing Blackpool!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I'm giving up storms for Lent.

That's genius. I'm also giving up rain.
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There seems to be some pre lent over indulgence going on.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
There seems to be some pre lent over indulgence going on.

Says who? Oh, you do! [Killing me]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But blowy out, isn't it? Monday is my day off, but the combined effects of a bad night's sleep (thanks ferijen junior), growing a second ferijen junior, and the weather means I think we're in for a lazy afternoon. Not going to get my 10000 steps today...

But I've made lemon curd for the first time, and it is good. Very easy too, why have I waited this long? Help yourselves...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

You may not have noticed but I was away for the weekend and coming back on the train today half the carriage I was in was a big gang of mostly elderly Muslims going on Umrah - or a visit to The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for a tour of the Islamic Holy Sites - but not Hajj, which can only occur once a year. It was a superb example of Herding Cats!

There was an elderly Muslim guy who appeared to be in charge, sort of, but oh were the folks disorganised! It was side-splittingly funny - this lovely old guy trying to sort all the identical bags of luggage and climbing on the seats to reach for them all - and then came the station before mine, the one nearest the airport, where the younger guys took all the luggage down to one doorway whilst the maitre-d' tried to get everybody lined up ready for exit. I think he was chosen because he was just so good-natured, although I couldn't understand the words I could follow bits of the conversation.

I'm glad we had the 15 break after leaving Angamaly for my sides and breath to recover before I had to get off at Aluva.

I have to add that sitting in an A/C compartment for four and a half hours is no sort of preparation for going out into the midday sun on arrival!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There appear to be little squitty white things falling from the sky outside here, but not in a very convincing way.

Having said that, the Weather Channel are offering us about 8" of sn*w between tonight and tomorrow, so if that falls at just the right time, i.e. if there's a decent accumulation by the morning, we may get a sn*w-day, which would be rather nice.

I could feel a pot of soup and a batch of rolls coming on ...

Pass some of that lemon-curd, Ferijen! [Smile]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
There appear to be little squitty white things falling from the sky outside here, but not in a very convincing way.

Thanks for the Dr Who themed mental image.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016