homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Argh!! My apartment smells like a urinal cake! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Argh!! My apartment smells like a urinal cake!
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remembering back many years to my Junior School; the boys' cloakroom was being re-painted and they had to use one of the girls'.

They couldn't believe that it was a drinking fountain on the wall.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot believe I've just spent the last 15 minutes reading about men's loos!!

Have any of the ladies amongst us ever encountered the "squat and squirt" type "facilities?" Especially awkward if you're wearing jeans....worse, ski-gear (Cervinia, 1983)....how do you keep your balance whilst clutching on to your straps with one hand to prevent them falling into the cesspit below?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

(and to think that I only logged on to get some material for a bible study)....

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember the "squat & squirts" from Spain in the 70s. Only we called 'em "flush 'n' runs" because they inevitably filled more rapidly than they drained.

Damn. I've posted yet again on this miserable thread....

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess that's what you'd call the most horrific "toilet" I've ever encountered, in Paris. It was billed as "unisex" and all that one encountered therein was a large open area with a drain. But I loved the public telephone booth type toilets in Paris with the disco music and self-cleaning afterward. Somehow they haven't caught on in NYC, which needs public toilets like no other place I've seen. I suppose they're afraid that homeless people will make homes out of them.

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The funnies thing that I have seen in a toilet was a bride with a hooped wedding dress. She had to tilt the dress to get through the enterance door, and then try as she might she could not get into the toilet cubicle. It was so funny seeing a bridemaid and her mum trying to squeeze her in. Eventually she could bear it no longer and took her dress off, went to the toilet and then climbed back into her dress.

It was a very difficult situation for me. I was trying desperately hard not to guffaw.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
remember the bad old days of paytoilets, anyone? i am informed that the reason they finally were eliminated was a sex-discrimination suit... since urinals didn't have doors that could be locked, there was no way to prevent their use, so men could always pee for free, and only needed to pay to, um, do "number two". but woman had to pay no matter what. discrimination! bye-bye pay toilets, thank you guys!!!

so thats one we owe the urinal.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In London, there are individual pay toilets (unisex) that are little concrete buildings, standing alone on corners. After you use them, they flush the whole place out.....they were introduced by Shirley Porter of "sell the cemetries for 50pence fame".....most of us are scared to use them in case we get locked in and flushed away

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
San Francisco and San Jose have some of the Parisian models. They're quite attractive looking kiosks with some (what I think of) as art-deco stylings. They certainly have proven a lifesaver while waiting for light rail in SJ, or for a cable-car in SF.

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had some of those flush-you-out loos dotted around the city here in Sydney for the Olympics last year. Several people I know made the mistake of directly following someone inside, with the result that they were washed out too... You apparently have to wait until it's all be swished out until you can go in...
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone elaborate on the flush-you-out toilet? Are we talking a common or garden water-closet (porcelain throne) that has its floor sluiced as well?

[I heard that in the US there are toilets available that can be pre-programmed to flush so that one doesn't need to do so on the Sabbath. And that in Germany, there are toilets with little ledges that catch the bodily evacuations (rather than them plopping in the water), that then hinge downwards and drop their burdens with no splash].

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sibling Coot:
Can someone elaborate on the flush-you-out toilet? Are we talking a common or garden water-closet (porcelain throne) that has its floor sluiced as well?

[I heard that in the US there are toilets available that can be pre-programmed to flush so that one doesn't need to do so on the Sabbath. And that in Germany, there are toilets with little ledges that catch the bodily evacuations (rather than them plopping in the water), that then hinge downwards and drop their burdens with no splash].

The London flush-you-out loos are rumoured to flush the whole interior, ceilings and all. And they are timed, so if you stay there too long..... I think the german ones jsut reverse the common british slope as seen in loo pottery - and flush less vertically. You get them like that in UK now.
(I tried to get the mad near Shirley porters superloos - that's their name, but it slipped down to the end :mad

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smileys always insert themselves at the end of what is written in the text box. If you want to go back and insert one, its best to type the code in manually or cut and paste.

[/frin's helpful host moment] :D

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Calvin
Shipmate
# 271

- Posted      Profile for Calvin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
The London flush-you-out loos are rumoured to flush the whole interior, ceilings and all. And they are timed, so if you stay there too long..

As I understand it the superloo as they are called do indeed chuck you out if you have been in to long (approx 20 minutes). This is to stop homeless people sleeping in them. They also have sensors in the floor so they can tell if someone in the loo and so should not do the wash cycle while you are in residence (unless you are a very light person - this is why small children should not use the loo).

--------------------
A crash reduces
Your expensive computer
To a simple stone.

Posts: 305 | From: Here and Now | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ones in Sydney certainly flush you out - water jets from the ceiling so the whole place is washed out.
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stooberry:
they can't ALL be designed by men...

the 'wash-basin' in the mens' loos at the student union here in manchester looks like a huge circular metalic urinal. many drunk students (and some not so drunk) have made the mistake of peeing in it. any man would've known that that's a really daft shaped wash-basin for a male toilet. hell, i almost made the mistake of going in it when they built it.

oh, and "bottom line"... was that supposed to be a really bad pun?

Sorry about the unintended pun.

But I remember the washbasin you describe from the supplier catalogs I browsed back when I was a junior flunky draftsman in an architect's office, back around 1971 perhaps, and the design was nothing new even then. Since my 1974 engineering degree made me part of the female engineer population which was something like 1 to 3% of all engineers, the odds are extremely high that the washbasin (and all the various urinals) were designed by men.

But I always understood that they were installed in institutional locker rooms (large school gyms, factories, and the like), so the assumption was that they would be used by men sober enough to know where they were and what they were doing! I'm not sure exactly what the manchester student union is, but if they provide facilities for huge crowds of males to wash up and also provide alcohol in the same place....remind me not to go there!

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
The ones in Sydney certainly flush you out - water jets from the ceiling so the whole place is washed out.

I was always scared to use one, incase I got locked in and it washed me away. I feel embarrassed now, and probably shouldn't have shared that!

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian M
Shipmate
# 79

- Posted      Profile for Ian M   Author's homepage   Email Ian M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They did try and sell Lifesavers in the UK not that long ago, but I think the British public remained unswervingly loyal to the (conceptually similar) Polo, though the latter did get worried and try and quash Lifesavers' launch slogan "The original mint with the hole" - which ain't far off Polo's own tagline.

So anyway, for Britishers, think Polo, but presumably Lifesavers are so named after the classic ring-shaped buoyancy aid you get at riversides and on ships etc?

Ian

Posts: 332 | From: Surbiton, Surrey, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian M
Shipmate
# 79

- Posted      Profile for Ian M   Author's homepage   Email Ian M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, my last was slightly redundant...

Anyway, the only place where I have seen a much larger women's than men's toilet is John Lewis in Kingston, Surrey, where there are rows of cubicles for women (so my wife tells me!) and only two for men with three urinals. Too much information yet?

Ian

Posts: 332 | From: Surbiton, Surrey, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wore a hooped wedding dress,and well remember trying to negotiate the 'facilities.' Couldn't close the door, which unfortunately opened directly on to the bar. In the end a friend hovered discretely in the doorway, fending off the 'helpful' comments from the poor sad souls outside.

BTW do any other shipmates have a 'golden chain' awards system in operation when they pay a visit?

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During the England v Kenya world cup cricket match at the St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury a couple of years ago, I was queueing for the Gents Loo in the Indoor Cricket School when a couple of ladies came in to the building, looked at the queue for the Gents, saw no queue outside the Ladies' and cried "YES!!!"

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
that's funny, steve_r...the last time i was in a ladies bathroom at a formula 1 race in montreal, the ladies said the same thing when a couple of gents entered to use our facilities.
Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So. About these flush-you-out loos. If the water sluices all through the cubical, out of the ceiling etc., what happens to the toilet seat? Jets of hot air? I mean. Do you get a wet bottom when you sit on it?
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Presumably Coot. i've never been game enough to try...
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would you sit on it? Ick!

--------------------

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are such a boy.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
George in Montreal
Apprentice
# 153

- Posted      Profile for George in Montreal   Email George in Montreal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thus far on this thread, no one has mentioned the condom vending machines found in many public men's toilets.

I remember laughing out loud at the graffiti written on one such dispenser. It read "caution...this chewing gum tastes like rubber!"

Posts: 32 | From: Saint Lambert, Quebec, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This last post from George in M. prompts me to re-tell a GROSS true story I heard last week at where I was working.

This woman told of when she was a girl in 1950s Leeds, living in 'notorious' flats ('apartments' for our American friends). For some reason, she and her friends knew one area of the building as 'the fairy grotto'. They KNEW the fairies went there every night because they kindly left money and 'fairy' balloons strewn around! The girl and her friends would BLOW UP said balloons...

Now, when she remainds her sisters of this activity, they claim not to have been involved!

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i only have 5 things to say...that surely IS gross, women's rooms have condom machines, too...do men's rooms have tampon machines?, and i was trained, and have since trained my kids, to never, never NEVER sit on a public toilet seat (must be a city hangup)...and flush with your shoe, if you can.
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Flush with your shoe??!!!!

I will brush up my muay thai kickboxing techniques next time I'm in a cubicle.

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Yes, always flush with shoe. And don't forget to turn faucet on and off with a paper towel. And use paper towel to open door afterwards, then hold door with foot while you deposit towel in garbage or toss to the corner if no pail in reach. (Yes, we do get obsessed in the City. Especially these days...)

--------------------

George in Montreal
Apprentice
# 153

- Posted      Profile for George in Montreal   Email George in Montreal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never understood this hang-up some people have about sitting on a public toilet seat. Okay, if it looks filthy and disgusting, I'm not going to sit on it, but there are many people who refuse on a clean toilet seat in even a high end restaurant.

Can someone help me here? I mean the part of the body that comes in contact with the seat is your thigh, right? And most of us know if we have an open cut or sore on our thighs, which might be a reason for not sitting. But the part that, err, counts is hanging out there in the open air, over the water and not coming in contact with anything, regardless of your gender.

So, please, enlighten me if there is the rational reason for this phobia

Posts: 32 | From: Saint Lambert, Quebec, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
george, some people just really are paranoid about it... i knew one person who would put paper on the seat of a chair if it wasn't her normal one at work! i mean think about it... one layer at least of clothing and one presumably of underclothing, and she was still afraid of sitting directly on the seat. i can only begin to imagan what she did in public restrooms...

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

and for those of us who are over the hill, our parents grew up during polio epidemics (my mother-in-law had it) and the fear of infection by something, spreading from standing water in leaky public bathrooms remains.
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things may be looking up.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Things may be looking up[/URL].

Strange how the connection of "Looking up" and toilets does not seem like a positive development.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

maybe they could have their next meeting in flushing, ny?
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...or even in Vlissingen, Netherlands (commonly called Flushing by the English)

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
I heard.. that in Germany, there are toilets with little ledges that catch the bodily evacuations (rather than them plopping in the water), that then hinge downwards and drop their burdens with no splash

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I think the german ones jsut reverse the common british slope as seen in loo pottery - and flush less vertically. You get them like that in UK now.

No, Coot is largely right, it is a horizontal platform (also known as a continental shelf) but it doesnt hinge, it's just part of the porcelain. The strength of the flush is supposed to be enough to push the contents off the shelf and down into the drain. But sometimes you can be unlucky.

I think the idea is that you can then inspect what you've just produced but I find it a hideous idea. It is not just Germany by the way, you can find them in several other European countries. Fortunately they seem to be getting less and less common here.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone who doesn't like sitting on public loo seats should try the ones in The Sanctuary, a (women only) health spa in Covent garden, London.
Each seat is fitted with a sensor, which registers when someone has sat - yes, I said sat! - then a little red indicator light comes on at the top of the cistern & you are invited to pass your hand over an infra red sensor. This activates a little arm with a cleaning thing on it that juts out over the seat at the back. The seat then rotates round thru' 360' and passes under the cleaning thing!!
Obviously you have to stand up to activate the sensor, so you don't rotate round on the seat. I was so fascinated by this the first time that I nearly forgot to rearrange my clothing before unlocking the door!!

love Ags

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then men's rooms in the United Terminal at Chicago/O'Hare has a variant on the rotating seat gizmo. The seat has a papery sleeve around it. Before you sit, you wave your hand over a sensor, and the sleeve rotates--the old one is somehow disposed of and an all new sleeve covers the seat.

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AFAICR it used to be believed that one could contract venereal diseases (specifically the clap) from toilet seats. Along with this myth went another, that one could actually become pregnant if the necessary bodily fluid were present upon the toilet seat and it somehow found its way upwards. People had friends whose cousins had had these things happen to them. When AIDS first came to public attention, one of the first things to be believed about it was that it could be caught from the seats of public toilets.
America's favourite Agony Aunts have spent many, many years attempting to dispel these myths;they are however deeply ingrained in the national psyche. When I think of the utterly disgusting three seater privies at my summer camp, with the 20 foot drop to the unspeakable depths....this younger generation doesn't know how lucky it is!

The important thing is to wash your hands.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brings back not so fond memories.......
The pit at Greenbelt at the end of the 70's.
Just imagine...a swelteringly hot Bank Holiday weekend & mounds of shit.
Oh, those were the days!

Love Ags

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

There's also the urban myth about poisonous spiders that are lurking under toilet rims waiting for a nice juicy bit of flesh to sink their teeth into. Supposedly they are most prevalent at airports. Even though I know this is probably not true, I could never think of sitting on a public toilet regardless of what I need to do.

And on a related note, why do those self-flushing toilets always seem to flush themselves just as you're entering the stall and then when you're ready to leave they just sit there? I always have to push the flush button myself.

--------------------

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
There's also the urban myth about poisonous spiders that are lurking under toilet rims waiting for a nice juicy bit of flesh to sink their teeth into.

Not an urban myth originally - can't remember which sort, but they were killers in the Australian and US outback privvies for many many years.

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Japanese manufacture a toilet seat wherewith one pushes a button and a tube-like device emerges from the rear of the toilet below the seat and shoots a stream of water at the user's rear.

Greta

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's also the urban myth about poisonous spiders that are lurking under toilet rims waiting for a nice juicy bit of flesh to sink their teeth into.

My husband grew up without indoor plumbing, and there was frequently a black widow spider living in the outhouse. It stayed high up on the wall and never came near the seat. Still, he was terrified.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah! I knew someone would mention the Japanese. They have patented thousands of cunning things related to toilets. It seems to be almost a national obsession. In fact that rotating-through-a-disinfectant type toilet seat sounds like a Japanese import to me. My son has just looked over my shoulder and informed me that he saw a programme on Discovery Channel on Japanese toilets. "They're mad" is his conclusion.

I can't believe this thread has attracted so many postings in just three short weeks.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

quote:
And on a related note, why do those self-flushing toilets always seem to flush themselves just as you're entering the stall and then when you're ready to leave they just sit there? I always have to push the flush button myself.
I'll hazard a guess on this one, that the toilets are designed so that as you enter the result of the previous person's communication with nature is flushed away, this being a feature not a bug!

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
The Japanese manufacture a toilet seat wherewith one pushes a button and a tube-like device emerges from the rear of the toilet below the seat and shoots a stream of water at the user's rear.
Greta

I saw a TV show on these toilets. Apparently there are designs, which after they have jet sprayed the user's rear with (warm) water, they emit hot air to dry it all... (I would have said, blow dried - but that no doubt would immediately be siezed upon by the dirty minded amongst us.

I think this thread has been fascinatingly popular, because we ALL have to at least go into bathrooms, and most of us need to use the amenities provided. Clean amenities are very important, and I know people are fascinated when they come across a new version of what they're used to. My Mum had an obsession with pink toilets. Our house was built in the 1960s and so has bathroom decor in hideous colours - like dove grey, pink, lime green and pale blue. In our case the toilet was pink, and was cracked in several places due to age. She spent months combing demolition sites looking for pink loos. Apparently the only place you can still get them is the US.

When she got over to San Francisco, she sent me a letter with a picture of a loo enclosed describing the differences. I couldn't believe it!!!

We still have a cracked pink loo sitting in the back yard. I thought I might plant strawberries in it or something...

Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just spent ages reading all this! Thankyou all for a fascinating thread!

BTW someone posted a link to urinal etiquette - I scored very well! ('cept the last one) But figure it is a similar sort of behaviour as in a doctors surgery.

Maddie

Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016