homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: MasterTroll Theater (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: MasterTroll Theater
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Note to self:
Find some way to get even with Scot for starting this thread.

Be nice, or the next one will be poetry again.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fatprophet:
these are persons of profound genius. (takes one to know one)

That would explain your confusion.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fatprophet elsewhere:

So beware foolish christians. For I am Legion and we are Many (i.e. really have gone bonkers)

<snip>

P.S [Fuckety Fuck] if you have a problem with that.

I seem to have suffered from the same problem you have, and have the same reaction to your problem with me.
Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Apparently Joann posted huge amounts of stuff in a very short space of time by copying and pasting.

Suse spent one night deleting Joann's posts. There were more than two hundred in eight hours.

I think this happened in January, 1999.

Moo

Wow, an even higher posting-per-minute rate than Smudgie! [Wink] [Not worthy!] I am impressed....... [Big Grin]

(but Smudgie's posts are much nicer, of course. [Cool] )

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I missed Joanne as well (I've not been here quite as long as the Milkman). But she sounds wonderful. Maybe we ought to pcopy up some of her posts here, in the hopes that some of the current very mediocre-quality trolls will learn how to do things properly.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ley Druid

Ship's chemist
# 3246

- Posted      Profile for Ley Druid   Email Ley Druid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
FWIW, I think LD might actually believe some of the stuff he posts.

Dear Scot,
Have I posted anything on this thread that you don't believe? What is to be done with people, trolls or otherwise, to disabuse them of their unbelieveable posts?

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which makes me ask once again, where, oh, where is our Book of Fools? (lament, lament) The tale of Joanne needs to be revealed to the world. I"d buy it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I first heard the story of Joann from Suse.

Last year there was a thread in the Styx on the history of the ship. Simon and Erin told some more about Joann's huge number of posts, which Erin, Simon, or Suse promptly deleted.

I don't know what happened to that Styx thread. It may have been deleted.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To Err is Human, to Delete is Divine.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I first heard the story of Joann from Suse.

Last year there was a thread in the Styx on the history of the ship. Simon and Erin told some more about Joann's huge number of posts, which Erin, Simon, or Suse promptly deleted.

I don't know what happened to that Styx thread. It may have been deleted.

Moo

No, it's just right down the bottom.

History of the Ship

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid:
Have I posted anything on this thread that you don't believe? What is to be done with people, trolls or otherwise, to disabuse them of their unbelieveable posts?

LD, the mark of trollery is not in whether the reader believes, but whether the writer believes. I'm afraid trolls cannot be cured, only pilloried.

--------------------

Black Dog
Shipmate
# 2344

- Posted      Profile for Black Dog   Email Black Dog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what I find funny about the history of the ship thread? The way it begins with Erin acting like the story teller and everyone else wanting her to tell us all more.

She's like old bear.

--------------------
The difference between love and comfort is that comfort is more reliable and true. Brutal and mocking but always there it is a crutch for enmity's saddest glare.

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hehe...now that is amusing. I can't see why anyone should be eulogised simply because of past or present involvement,personally.

Feeding egos, I think.

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
Feeding egos, I think.

And you'd know.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can't see why anyone should be eulogised simply because of past or present involvement, personally.

I can't see why anyone would want to ask about the memories of one of the longest-standing members of this website on a thread called "History of the Ship". Seems ludicrous to me.

We should all be grilling the newbies about the history of Ship guidelines, and what happened 4 years ago, rather than one of the people who have made this place what it is.

Far be it from me to hold in esteem someone who has devoted more time and energy to making sure that we can all have this resource to use. I don't want to be caught praising the people responsible for creating one of my favourite places - be it virtual or real. That would be silly, wouldn't it?

Pull the other one, Merseymike.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
it is called "BITING THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU" Merseymike, something you seem to enjoy doing.

[brick wall]
[Votive]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just a sign of how long the Ship has been around now (and all credit to its creators and maintainers) that we have got to the stage where we all feel nostalgic for the 'past'. If it wasn't for the dedication of many - and the extreme dedication, nay vocation, of a few, then there would be no past, or present either. So there! [Razz]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've got shit timing, MM.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
hehe...now that is amusing. I can't see why anyone should be eulogised simply because of past or present involvement,personally.

Well, then please peruse the Miss Molly eulogies and afterward, return here and let us know if you still hold to this.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Amen, kenwritez. [Not worthy!]

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
You've got shit timing, MM.

You think it's a coincidence, Kelly? I'm quite convinced that Mike is the kind of person who gleefully kicks people when they're down, and I'm sure my post in AS gave him the gentle nudge he needed.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ley Druid

Ship's chemist
# 3246

- Posted      Profile for Ley Druid   Email Ley Druid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
I'm afraid trolls cannot be cured, only pilloried.

I like it. You make me see Foucault in a whole new light.
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What post in AS ?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin, did you seriously think that someone who has said on numerous occasions that the Ship is "just a website" and doesn't have any desire to be part of the community here would even be aware of the amount of prayer support that is expressed in All Saints, let alone care enough to read the relevant threads?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Generally I look at Purgatory, Hell and , sometimes, the MW. Visits to other boards are rare.

Is a further expectation that we look at all boards ? Must say, I find the level of expected conformity towards one's attitude towards this site and its participants and ethos a classic example of the dark side of 'community'. You can't enforce your vision upon all who choose to visit. Unless you only want those who 'fit in' according to your invented criteria. Which is fair enough, but if there are expectations of how we should approach this site, then it is reasonable to inform applicants.

The Mid and IbP made some valid and worthwhile points.

--------------------

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

...on the other thread, that is ( this is getting confusing...)

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Erin, did you seriously think that someone who has said on numerous occasions that the Ship is "just a website" and doesn't have any desire to be part of the community here would even be aware of the amount of prayer support that is expressed in All Saints, let alone care enough to read the relevant threads?

Well, I know he goes into AS and knows what it's for, evidently he tried to organize a meet with people who don't matter because it's "just a website".

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

MM, I think it is vital that you do read AS, because it gives you information about certain shipmates which have a bearing on what you do or do not say to them when you post. eg. would you want to make a derogatory post about mothers to someone whose mother has just died? So it always pays to be aware of how others in the community are faring.
A little smidgen of human empathy wouldn't do any harm, hey? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

But Chorister, it's "just a website". No one here matters. Haven't you been taking notes?

--------------------

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

I think I've only been in to All Saints two or three times. Yes, I know what its about, but I don't read the threads there. I'm sure not everyone reads all the sections....

Having thought about all this, there seems to be clear expectations as to how we should approach this site - as a community, to which we should be prepared to invest emotional as well as intellectual energy - and both acknowledgment and agreement with the hierarchical way in which it is organised and those in the positions which afford them 'superiority'.

I recognise I'm not on that wavelength and that most people like the ethos of whats being done here.
I like the discussions, but I don't think I feel the same way about this place that many others appear to.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

No, Mike, no one is expected to read everything or even every board. However, the fact that you turned on me like a junkyard dog a day after I posted that I was being tested for leukemia and lymphoma and various other diseases seems a little too convenient.

Bottom line: I don't really care how you view Ship of Fools. What I care about, and what others seem to care about, too, is how you behave. For a majority of people here, it is a community of sorts. You are free to not view it that way. However, you are NOT free to treat other people on here like they are unimportant, irrelevant, and meaningless based on the fact that "it's just a website". If you walk into a community or club or whatever, you either (a) respect the ethos and the intent of the place or (b) find another place to belong.

You can choose (c) to be a complete git about the whole thing, of course, but really, the only person you're damaging is yourself.

[ 21. May 2003, 10:41: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

I had no idea about your illness. You can choose to believe that or not, but its the truth.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think I've only been in to All Saints two or three times. Yes, I know what its about, but I don't read the threads there. I'm sure not everyone reads all the sections....

Having thought about all this, there seems to be clear expectations as to how we should approach this site - as a community, to which we should be prepared to invest emotional as well as intellectual energy - and both acknowledgment and agreement with the hierarchical way in which it is organised and those in the positions which afford them 'superiority'.

I recognise I'm not on that wavelength and that most people like the ethos of whats being done here.
I like the discussions, but I don't think I feel the same way about this place that many others appear to.

MM no-one can dictacte your or anyone else's expectations as you log on to this site. But one criticism that has been levelled at you on the other thread is that you do not take an interest in other people here as people. Again, it's your prerogative not to, but you might find yourself attracting less flames if you took the time to do so.

There are two threads which I never used to read and which I now scan through occasionally, not because I normally take an active interest in the content or post myself, but because I have discovered they are good ways to find out what is going on in people's lives, and particularly if they are going through difficult times. They are "Monthly prayer requests" and "TICTH".

Again, no obligation, but taking a look there from time to time might improve your stock and who knows? give some more credibility to your causes. You might even discover what "community" means in the context of the Ship.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

I think I am out of step with the dominant ethos here. I'm happy about that as I am not looking for virtual 'community' in the way it has been described.

I know I am not the only one who feels like this. Its clearly a minority view, though....

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

See, this is the thing, Mike. From the perspective of those of us who do see it that way, you appear to take great delight in coming in here and shitting all over that. I don't know if that's your intent or not, but that's how it looks from here.

No one's asking you to embrace the community aspect with open arms. The only thing we ask is that you recognize that others do and conduct yourself accordingly.

(And if you say you didn't read the AS post, then I believe you.)

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone noticed the connection between the trotting out of the complaint "it's only a website, it doesn't matter" and a posting average of at least 1 post every single day since they registered?

Or in merseymike's case, a daily posting average of 6.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An observation:

You know when somebody makes a comment to a Canadian about their bad timing, it is customary for us to say a little more then "I wouldn't have known." Must be a cultural thing I guess to throw the word "sorry" in there some where. Yeah, we don't have to apologise, but we just culuturall feel the need to do that. I'm not expecting or asking MM to live up/down to that; but, it is one example of the subtle cultural differences found on a board.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MM you seem to be saying that although you're aware that most of the users of these boards treat them as a community, you choose not to do so, and therefore feel free to shit all over it.

I just can't find a polite way of saying this, so i'll just say it - please fuck off.

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a bit of an odd disconnect between the number of posts and the contention that "it's just a website". It is more than just a website, mostly because it's one of the more well-conceived bulletin boards, which are an extension of one of the most terrific web magazines (even if none of you look at it). I say that, even though I only look daily at Purgatory, Hell, the Styx and Kerygmania. And I also do not regard web community as a substitute for real life.

So, Matrix, I'd agree with most of your post, except for the part with the swearing, but I've heard rumors that you were dissing me in the cafe.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Disagreeing, never dissing....far too polite don't ya know?

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Why, Laura ? I like discussion, and the web is a good place to do it. I can't see why frequent posting and a view of SoF as 'community' need to go together.

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MM,

I understand that you don't think of this as a community. You have made that clear. But you seem to behave as if it oughtn't to be a community, or that those who care about it as such are pathetic losers (even if they post far less often than you do), while you're above it all. If this be so, you ought not be surprised if people react badly to your patronizing attitude.

I'm not currently deeply pissed off at you as many here appear to be, but I do think that, if anything, you've been cut a lot of extra slack here because your intolerance is liberal intolerance. If an evangelical had been as nasty about liberals as you have been about evangelicals, I doubt he or she would still be around.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that if someone wants to debate on the boards but not become part of the community, they need to be particularly careful to stick rigidly to the rules of debating and neverattack anyone ad hominem. If you want to make little jokes and asides, let alone personal attacks, you need to keep up with how people are feeling, as expressed on the relevant boards.

I find it ironic that this whole thing started because MerseyMike said that Erin bored him. MerseyMike bores me, as all his posts bang on about the same things and from the same viewpoint. I don't tell him that he bores me, I just avoid engaging him in debate, and after a while I have reached the point where I simply scroll through his posts in Purgatory. I would advise him to do the same to Erin's when she posts in her personal capacity.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Laura said! [Not worthy!]

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

..and what Moth said as well.

We had a whole stompin' "Is SOF a community?" a while back, and while the issue was kind of unresolved, my contention was that it is at least a place to encourage community.

When I read the post about Erin's tests on the prayer thread, I felt my stomach drop. Over the last few days, as I have been going on about my business, She has crossed my mind and the worry returns, accompanied by prayer, and even a little lump in the throat, I'm not ashamed to say. Even though Erin lives in Buttfuck, Florida and I never met her and concievably never will, and even though I may not agree with everything she has to say, she has provided me with laughs, insight, straight talk, and an example of self-assurance. I've grown to care about what happens to her.

SO when I read sniggery little remarks about Erin's blood pressure--which were just objects d' art of bad, bad, BAD fucking timing--I was furious. I waited till the fury passed to expand on my "shit timing" comment because my anger was based on the prayer thread post, and I wasn't sure Erin wanted someone who has stated the community aspects of the Ship are meaningless to know her personal shit.

Merseymike, how hard is it to say, "I wasn't aware of the prayer thread, but I can see how some of my comments came at a bad time"?

As to sucking up---I felt exactly the same way when Chastmastr's cat died, and (sorry,Chast honey) what has he got to offer me authority-wise other than bad poetry and a plug on Lonk-o-rama?

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... bad poetry ...

[Eek!]

b-b-b-

[Eek!]

b-b-b-

[Paranoid]

B-B-B- BAD??

BAWWWLLLL... [Waterworks]

BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA! [Killing me]

Psych! [Two face]

David
knows his poetry isn't great, but 'tis all a game
so fear not, Kelly, all is well, he loves you just the same
[Love]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Big Grin]

Sorry, I was making a point. Will craft peace offering for your poetry thread.

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why, Laura ? I like discussion, and the web is a good place to do it. I can't see why frequent posting and a view of SoF as 'community' need to go together.

So how exactly do bald statements of your opinion and how much you disapprove of other opinions constitute "discussion"?

If you were to actually engage in discussion in the majority of your posts, you would have some respect here.

As it stands, regularly ramming your opinions down others throats without engaging in reasoned discussion renders you obnoxious to the vast majority of posters.

But then that doesn't matter, does it. Because this is just a website, and serves no purpose other than to make you feel good. Other people are of no significance whatsoever (other than as a good target for cutting down to size), which is why you would never dream of apologising, unless you were forced to.

I'm asking myself exactly why I should not consider you to be a troll and I'm struggling to find a satisfactory answer. Can anyone help me with this one?

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

I work in a city about an hour from where I live. I do not take an active part in the civic life of the city where I work. I don't vote here, go to church here, sleep here, or have relationships with many people here. For all intents and purposes, I am not a part of this community even though I spend a fair amount of time and money here.

However, I recognize that there is a community in this city. I respect that community. I do not paint graffiti on the walls. I do not bad mouth the police. I am polite in traffic. I do not disrupt this community, even though I do not choose to be a part of it. I feel like it's the least I can do, both out of basic human decency and because of the fact that the community serves my needs even though I am not part of it.

Merseymike, when you are offline do you treat people and communities the same way you do online? Or do you feel justified in treating us differently just because you'll never see most of us face-to-face?

[Scottie, Scottie, Scottie - small things can make a huge difference.]

[ 21. May 2003, 21:29: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

--------------------

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

I will , without hesitation, apologise for making comments which may well have appeared grossly insensitive. I may be combative, and say what I think, but if I had known about the tests then I would have not used those examples or made those comments.

However, I'm not about to pretend that I see things in the same way as some of my critics, or that my feelings about the Ship will change. To be honest, it rather feels like 'do things the way we want, or you don't fit in here....', which I think is probably the case.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016