homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Will God allow anyone to go to hell? (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Will God allow anyone to go to hell?
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joyfulsoul:
I see where you are coming from. Maybe that's why Jesus prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" ?

Yes, that seems reasonable to me. Also, knowledge breeds responsibility... on a very fundamental level.

[ 19. December 2005, 05:38: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...this all bears on the old "knowledge of good and evil" conundrum

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what do you mean... by "knowledge of good and evil conundrum"?

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Well, you know. The old hang-up over our fate after death caused by our knowledge of good and evil. All this worry basically hinges on that.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Here is where I trot out my tedious theory that the garden of Eden story was meant to imply that none of really have the knowledge of Good and Evil, because in my totally speculative opinion, the tree was not allowed to ripen properly. Which is why God warned us away from it.IMHO, the Garden story reflects a human tendancy to want stuff before we are ready for it.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Aha! I've always thought of it as the "Tree of Life" and the "knowledge of good and evil" as some sort of corruption of that.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody can sail in here and correct me, but I thought according to Hebrew lore,they are two different trees of seperate symbolic significance, but related somehow or another.

But then again you might know more about that than me.

[ETA; I'm sure there's somebody that knows more about it than me...]

[ 19. December 2005, 06:13: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Nah, It's all speculation on my part.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Somebody can sail in here and correct me, but I thought according to Hebrew lore,they are two different trees of seperate symbolic significance, but related somehow or another.

Yes, they are two different trees. One is God's presence with humanity, the other is the reliance on self and the world. The second tree distances you from God, and therefore it expelled them from the garden.

The point, though, is not about what you know but what you love. The purpose of true knowledge is to enable, develop, and guide true actions - and therefore nurture good loves.

My understanding is that obedience to God allows Him to form you into a person who loves Him. People's inner character is formed over time by their repeated thoughts, desires, and actions, or what they would do if given the opportunity.

In the next life all constraints are removed and people act as they truly wish to act, learn what they truly wish to learn, and think as they truly wish to think. Whoops, I guess we think as we wish right here in this world. [Biased]

It's not like Santa Claus, though, with God making a list and then punishing or rewarding according to past behavior. The slate is wiped clean in the next life. But we ourselves act according to the inclinations that we have developed over the period of our worldly life. We therefore come into a happy or unhappy state according the exact nature of those inclinations and actions.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
It's hard to see people who have been radically and utterly selfish and uncharitable all through their lives radically changing after death and all of a sudden becoming kind and giving and loving. Whether or not they CAN or CANNOT doesn't seem to be the issue at all, but whether it's at all likely they would choose to.

I suppose it's not hard for me to see this change occurring since I don't think we fully see or experience God on this earth, but post-death I think we will, and once this happens I think a lot of our "sinful tendencies" will fall off and leave a much less hindered choice for the radically selfish and uncharitable (all of us?).

Whether or not it's likely is an interesting idea to ponder, but I don't think it works as a premise in the discussion about Hell vs. God's Goodness, etc. You can say that it's verrrrrrrrrrrry unlikely for anyone to choose Heaven once they are in Hell, but if the premise remains that they CAN, then I can still hold out hope that they will.

Also, for Freddy and anyone else who feels this way... is Hell enjoyable for those who stay there? It would seem like it'd be all the pleasure of sin with none of the physical consequences (sickness, poverty, etc.). We speculate that there would be a good deal of emotional emptiness, but for someone who has little to no experience with emotional fullness and therefore doesn't miss it, Hell may in fact end up being what they've always dreamed it would be, in which case they either a) enjoy it for eternity or b) come to a realization that it's not fulfilling, and thus desire heaven at which point they can cross the gap.

That's why the can or cannot is important to me.

-Digory

When the sickness fades, the first real choice is made.
-a rough summary of Jolly Jape's illustration

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
Also, for Freddy and anyone else who feels this way... is Hell enjoyable for those who stay there? It would seem like it'd be all the pleasure of sin with none of the physical consequences (sickness, poverty, etc.). We speculate that there would be a good deal of emotional emptiness, but for someone who has little to no experience with emotional fullness and therefore doesn't miss it, Hell may in fact end up being what they've always dreamed it would be, in which case they either a) enjoy it for eternity or b) come to a realization that it's not fulfilling, and thus desire heaven at which point they can cross the gap.

Now that sounds like the sort of afterlife I could enjoy. All the pleasures life has to offer at first, and then 'Heaven' when it finally gets boring [Big Grin]

The thing I don't really understand is that you'd call the first part 'Hell'. But that's just me...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(Here is where I trot out my tedious theory that the garden of Eden story was meant to imply that none of really have the knowledge of Good and Evil, because in my totally speculative opinion, the tree was not allowed to ripen properly. Which is why God warned us away from it.IMHO, the Garden story reflects a human tendancy to want stuff before we are ready for it.)

So, that would mean we got an inaccurate picture of what right and wrong are, and this has since afflicted us?

I've never heard anything like this before, so naturally I am intrigued. I'd love for you to elaborate on it and a little on its origins, if you care to, Kelly.

-Digory

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
...they are two different trees. One is God's presence with humanity, the other is the reliance on self and the world. The second tree distances you from God, and therefore it expelled them from the garden.

My theory is, though, that there was really nothing wrong with the tree itself. Indulge my logic for a mintue. Nomadic society, hunter-gatherers. Now what would be a logical reason that someopne would tell you not to eat form a tree?

1. It was poison

This is the traditional view.I don't buy that, because of the name they gave the tree.Knowledge of good and evil is a good thing, right?

2. The fruit was not yet ripe, and eating it would make you sick

Better. "don't eat lest ye die " supports this.

3. The tree was one of a kind, and preserving its fruit for seed was important to the survival of the community.

This one is good also, and if you accept the translation of the tree as that or self-reliance, maybe it would have offered a healthy self-reliance that could be shared by all humanity. Not the desperate, prideful, false self-reliance that people use to avoid acknowledging their interdependance, and their dependance on God.

I tend to believe 2 or 3,or even both. I prefer this translation to the "Tree as a Booby Trap" theory.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a very interesting tangent re: trees and knowledge and I don't mean to derail it - but I just want to respond to something else in a previous post. Digory, I'm not how proof-texting bible verses is helpful in the discussion of hell? Its not that your verses are not good or something...but rather I'm not really sure what we would accomplish if you say, "these verses demonstrate X" and I say, "no, I don't see it that. I think they demonstrate Y." ? What say you?

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As to whether hell is enjoyable or not, this is debatable.

How can any existence among self-centered jerks be enjoyable? Enjoyment generally only comes at the expense of others, so it can't be very enjoyable. There is quite a bit of hostility.

And who said anything about there being no disease, poverty or other consequences. These consequences are inherent in evil. So most people in hell are in pretty dire straits. They also live in fear, since the crime rate is quite high.

I don't know why anyone would choose hell. However, everything in heaven revolves around the love of God and the neighbor. To the extent that we are self-centered and worldly we will struggle with the repression of our true feelings. In hell, on the other hand, you can do what you want, although you do need to put up with certain consequences. [Biased]

So I don't think it is enjoyable in hell. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Joyfulsoul, don't apologize, I'm the one who's being a bubblehead. [Hot and Hormonal]

Sorry about the tangent. I keep discussing this one tangentally. Heckwithit, I'm taking it to Kerygmania, where it belongs. (I guess)

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Digory, I'm not how proof-texting bible verses is helpful in the discussion of hell? Its not that your verses are not good or something...but rather I'm not really sure what we would accomplish if you say, "these verses demonstrate X" and I say, "no, I don't see it that. I think they demonstrate Y." ? What say you?

I agree. You can't prove universalism with Bible verses. The point, however, is that you can't prove hell and "Damnationism" (as I've grown to call it) from Bible verses either. Most people who believe in Hell, I think, believe that their position is supported in Scripture while the universalist position is kind of concocted out of thin air and fanciful dreams. So I set out to show that this is not the case.

That's all. I think it can aid the discussion as it illuminates points and reasons for why we each believe how we do.

-Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
You can't prove universalism with Bible verses. The point, however, is that you can't prove hell and "Damnationism" (as I've grown to call it) from Bible verses either. Most people who believe in Hell, I think, believe that their position is supported in Scripture while the universalist position is kind of concocted out of thin air and fanciful dreams. So I set out to show that this is not the case.

I think you are right. It is easy to come up with verses that demonstrate either position, depending on how they are interpreted.

The basic question, I think, is "What is delight?" If we know the answer to that then we know what heaven is, and by contrast, hell.

--------------------

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologise for joining this discussion when it's well underway; I have some thoughts on this subject that I'd be interested in having feedback on, and which don't seem to be dealt with in the previous nine pages or so [Smile]

It seems to me that the whole notion of salvation is one that Christians don't think all that much about. My gut feeling is that if you do think about it in detail, it becomes very uncomfortable. Luther and Calvin and other protestant reformers did think about it in detail, and what they came up with was at least logically coherent, even though many people find their ideas (conditional election, predestination, etc) disagreeable. But Lutheran thinking on salvation follows fairly clearly from the notion of justification by faith -- the idea that faith and acceptance of the Christian message are nececssary to salvation. Various doctrines have arisen that attempt to soften the blow, as it were -- Arminianism, Molinism, etc. But these -- if they are true -- merely avoid the conclusions of election and predestination; they don't touch justification by faith itself. But justification by faith is at the centre of every mainstream Christian denomination today.

It seems to me that if you accept justification by faith, and the usual Christian teaching that judgement is heaven-or-hell, once-and-for-all, then it becomes very difficult to answer questions like ``what is the hope for salvation for people who have never heard the Gospel'', and ``what happens to children who die before they are capable of understanding the Christian message''.

You can try to move the goalposts, by positing that God has different standards by which to judge these people. But if you do that, why not postulate other exceptions for other classes of people that are disadvantaged in the faith-forming department? What about people with mental handicaps? What about people who have been brought up to be naturally cynical? What about X and Y and Z? What reason have we got for saying that justification by faith is application to some classes of individuals and not others? It's just a mess.

It seems to me that there are only three logically coherent ways to resolve the problem. Either we:

1. grit our teeth, and 'fess us that unbaptised babies are burning in hell along with Socrates, the Old Testament saints, and people who had the bad fortune to be born outside the Christian sphere of influence,

or we:

2. drop the notion of salvation by faith altogether, which leads in the end to some variant of universal salvationism.

or we:

3. admit that there is no such thing as `Hell', in so far as it is a state of eternal punishment or alienation from God.

Arguable 2 is a special case of 3; but in any case both 2 and 3 are very different from 1.

Unless we are prepared to do one of these three things, it seems to me that, as Christians, we are living in a world of logical contradictions. It isn't merely a case of saying ``I don't know'' or ``it's a mystery'' -- the problem is clear, obvious, and not mysterious in any way. We just don't like any of the possible solutions.

This is why I favour the doctrine of universal salvation. It is logically coherent, and does not require that we believe God is an evil tormentor. The logical converse of universal salvation is not, for me, pelagianism, or hard-nosed calvinist determimism, or arminianism-with-copout-clauses-for-babies.

It is atheism, plain and simple.

If Christianity required me to accept that there are babies in Hell, or that I had to live in a maze of logical incoherence, that would lead me to reject the truth of Christianity completely.

Comments welcome [Smile]

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
I apologise for joining this discussion when it's well underway; I have some thoughts on this subject that I'd be interested in having feedback on, and which don't seem to be dealt with in the previous nine pages or so [Smile]

It seems to me that the whole notion of salvation is one that Christians don't think all that much about.

Welcome! A new person is always appreciated! Interestingly enough, this thread was inspired by a topic on salvation here.

quote:
It seems to me that if you accept justification by faith, and the usual Christian teaching that judgement is heaven-or-hell, once-and-for-all, then it becomes very difficult to answer questions like ``what is the hope for salvation for people who have never heard the Gospel'', and ``what happens to children who die before they are capable of understanding the Christian message''.

For me, it is not just "justification by faith alone." Our God is not only merciful in providing salvation, but he is also gracious and just. In Romans , scriptures speak exactly about what happens to people who never hear the gospel. I trust that God is good and he is just - so I don't find any of this difficult.

quote:
It seems to me that there are only three logically coherent ways to resolve the problem. Either we:

1. grit our teeth, and 'fess us that unbaptised babies are burning in hell along with Socrates, the Old Testament saints, and people who had the bad fortune to be born outside the Christian sphere of influence,

I wouldn't find the OT saints burning in hell to be consistent with scripture or theology. The idea of Christ's sacrifice is that it covers every past and present and future sins of everyone. (The issue isn't that our sins aren't covered - because Christ died for ALL - the issue is that whether or not we repent and receive his sacrifice.)

quote:
or we:

2. drop the notion of salvation by faith altogether, which leads in the end to some variant of universal salvationism.

I have no issues that Christ died for all.

quote:
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. (Romans 5:6)

And,

quote:
For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit (1 Peter 3:18)

But I do think it is crucial that we receive his gift, that we repent from darkness and turn to the light and receive the beauty God has for us, as it were.

quote:
Unless we are prepared to do one of these three things, it seems to me that, as Christians, we are living in a world of logical contradictions.

I don't think there is any contradictions. And I don't buy that scripture supports babies being tortured in hell.

I just can't move from Nicodemus's and Jesus's midnight chat:

quote:
In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." (John 3:3)
and,

quote:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. (John 3:16-19)

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

Crooked Cucumber:

Thanks for joining! The conversation could always use a new spike of interest after nine pages of circulating arguments! [Biased]

I think your choice (2) is unnecessarily stringent. We can drop justification by faith and still end up with either (2a)Only some people are saved, by election or (2b)No one is saved and all are damned to hell necessarily. (2c)is what you postulate, a kind of universal salvation.

Nothing says God MUST be loving or merciful, but my experience with God says that he is. And therefore, if I believe in his mercy/love/goodness/grace, then I opt for (2c) much as you do.

But let me try to argue from Freddy's position, since I've heard him do it so well for so long now. I want to see if I have it down.

Justification by faith is usually defined in an incomplete way. Faith in itself requires and includes a degree of works, which are only possible through the grace that God grants each of us. But what we choose to do with that grace will have lasting effects on the individual we become. So if we continue to choose against good living, rejecting his empowering Grace, then we will become more and more self-serving. But if we begin to accept his Grace and its effect on our desire to do good, we will begin to desire good things and desire good for all people.

Once we die, we aren't held accountable for this or that sin, but we are who we are. The slate is wiped clean, but we are left with the heart and soul we have helped to create. In other words, our deepest desires remain. Those that desire selfishness, greed, and other ungodliness will find themselves increasingly selfish, greedy and ungodly. Those who desire God and his way of love and mercy will be more loving and merciful.

In this way, we will have created for ourselves a "Heaven" and a "Hell" out of our desires and the heart we have created.

The people that have never heard of God by name or by Theology will still be responsible for the heart they have created and the desires they are left with. Perhaps babies who die get to begin their heart's creation post-death.

That's my best "Freddy answer." I wonder what he will say of my rendition!

What do you think of that idea, CC?

-Digory

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I favour the doctrine of universal salvation.

Comments welcome [Smile]

So do I, in a way. I don't think there's any one place we all end up in, but many different places each of which would undoubtedly be Hell for some people but Heaven for others.

I can't see that any other option is consistent with a God of love...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
That's my best "Freddy answer." I wonder what he will say of my rendition!

Digory, you are brilliant! [Overused]

Crooked Cucumber, I'm not sure that your alternatives are complete. I'm not sure I buy your opening idea that salvation is a difficult doctrine. I especially don't accept the idea that justification by faith is logically coherent.

What is wrong with the basic idea that good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell - recognizing, of course, that all goodness comes from God?

Put another way, what is wrong with the idea that happiness is inherent in goodness, and unhappiness is inherent in evil?

These ideas seem more logically consistent to me than universal salvation.

--------------------

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

What is wrong with the basic idea that good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell - recognizing, of course, that all goodness comes from God?

Well, nothing, as such [Smile] My gut feeling is that most observant Christians feel this way -- in some form or another -- and in spite of the `official' positions of the denominations to which they belong. It's what I was taught in Sunday School forty years ago, blithely unaware of the fact that it would have been considered a heresy by the (Wesleyan) leadership. Such a view is not incompatible with universal salvationism, as I understand it, so long as `Hell' (whatever it is) is not eternal.

However, my understanding is that the Protestant Churches all take their lead from Luther in this area, and he wrote:

quote:
Originally posted by Martin Luther:

"Whoever departs from the article of justification [by faith] does not know God and is an idolater. For when this article has been taken away, nothing remains but error, hypocrisy, godlessness, and idolatry, although it may seem to be the height of truth, worship of God, holiness, etc."

In other words, outwards expressions of goodness and badness are merely reflections of the faith that we have in Jesus. No human work, without this faith, amounts to anything.

As a doctrine, it doesn't leave a lot of room for righteous non-Christians.

I suppose this might not have been a problem for Luther, Calvin, et al., since for these people the Christian world was the world -- they would never have met a person had never heard the Gospel.

However, even the Protestant reformers must have thought about the fate of people who died before Jesus' saving work. If they did, they did not pronounce on the matter (so far as I know).

I think that, in the end, the corporate position of all the mainstream Protestant churches -- and most of the Catholic ones -- is that people who have the misfortune never to have heard the Gospel are damned, and we just have to live with that.

For the Calvinist this doesn't present a (logical) problem, because the decision who to save and who to condemn has been made in advance anyway. It is perfectly coherent (although chilling, in my view) to say that the people who live out of the reach of the Christian message are just those whom God has elected not to save.

I have a certain respect for people who take the doctrine of justification by faith to its logical conclusion, and then say ``well, I don't like the results any more than you do, but you can't argue with logic''. I think William Lane Craig is a good example of this. He argues that the problem is analagous in salvational terms to that old chestnut the `Problem of Evil' in earthly terms. His argument is that God not have created a world that was logically impossible, and that a world where there is free will and nobody is damned (`lost' is the word he prefers) is logically impossible.

My problem with this is that I find it difficult enough to defend the idea that an omnipotent, benevolent God can tolerate the amount of earthly suffering that exists; and I'm damned sure I'm not going to try to defend the idea that a benevolent God can tolerate eternal condemnation (in any form), whether logical or not. It is simply a monstrous idea. As I said, I find atheism more compelling than this.

However, my contention is that no observant Christian -- with the possible excecption of Protestant theologians -- really believes in justification by faith as Luther (and Augustine) originally described it. They always have get-out clauses for some classes of worthy unbeliever. It might just be for Children, it might be for those who are spiritually `like children' (i.e., the mentally handicapped, the unchurched `heathen'),it might be others as well. Where these get-out clauses come form (apart from an inner sense of the dignity of man) I really don't know -- they don't come from their own Church leadership, that's for sure.

I can see why the leaders of the early Christian Church, suddenly finding themselves a force in world affairs, would propound a theology that posits eternal damnation for those who do not believe what they believe. However, in the modern age, people can choose whether to ally themeselves with any faith, or no faith at all. In my view, people should accept Christianity because it reflects the wonder they feel in the natural world, and the love and mercy of God. We don't want to make converts of people who are too busy sh*tting a brick to think straight [Smile]

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

quote:
Where these get-out clauses come form (apart from an inner sense of the dignity of man) I really don't know --

Quite possibly views regarding the salvation of those who have never heard the gospel may come from this verse:

quote:
God "will give to each person according to what he has done." To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.

All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

(romans 2:6-8,12-16)

--------------------
~No Man's Land

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

quote:
Originally posted by JoyfulSoul
romans 2:6-8,12-16

As I said, this is my understanding of the Message too. Unsurprisingly, those who plug the idea of justification by faith seem to miss this passage out. However, my gut feeling is that Luther spent as much time poring over Romans than anybody; he can't have been unaware of it. I wonder how he reconciled it with his views? I wonder even more how Calvin did.

In any case, I don't think that Romans 2:12-16 represents the `official' line taken by any Protestant denomination, even though I think many actual Protestant Christians would support it.

What an odd state of affairs [Smile]

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CrookedCucumber has indeed added fresh impetus to this discussion and I am in general agreement. Probably my strongest reason in support of universalism rests with:

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6.44).

Faith is said to be a gift of the Holy Spirit. So how can anyone be condemned for lack of faith if the Holy Spirit chose to withold that gift . Anyone who doesn't come to Jesus doesn't because the Father did not draw him. That can only mean predestination in which God creates people for the purpose of sending them to eternal hell. Otherwise He would draw them. The Holy Spirit would give them the gift of faith. But Jesus does promise to draw all men:

"And I, if I be lifted up from the earth will draw all men unto me" (John 12.32).

We can only come to Christ if the father calls us to it. Therefore our salvation is entirely in His hands. And Jesus will draw all of us. That's His promise.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Yeah, but what about that old adage: You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink?

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I come back to find the thread going strong with many interesting posts to wade through...

I am in agreement with PaulTH*, naturally [Smile]

If I lead a horse to water and he didn't drink, what would I think? Firstly I would think "Well, perhaps he isn't thirsty". But if I waited a while, and the horse still didn't drink, and was obviously showing signs of dehydration, I would think "This horse is sick. An illness is causing him to not drink. I will fetch a vet, who will cure the illness. Then the horse will drink."

What healthy horse has ever deliberatly killed itself by refusing to drink?

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
What healthy horse has ever deliberatly killed itself by refusing to drink?

Horses aren't people. People can be mighty stubborn, yea verily even unto death.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

Basically, it comes down to that the no-hell people believe that a) rebellion is just one huge misunderstanding and b) anyone who rejects the reject "good" is merely ignorant and/or not held responsible for his/her delusion so, c)when God *finally* reveals All Truth - it is just not possible that anyone could chose anything but the good.

Again, I don't know if anything can be resolved if some of us argue from completely different understandings regarding knowledge/rebellion.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think God holds our delusion against us. What frightens me is that some might hold it against Him.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

just to clarify:
You mean that some refuse to accept the reality of a situation and prefer to remain in a delusion and you can't make them believe?

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Basically, it comes down to that the no-hell people believe that a) rebellion is just one huge misunderstanding and b) anyone who rejects the reject "good" is merely ignorant and/or not held responsible for his/her delusion so, c)when God *finally* reveals All Truth - it is just not possible that anyone could chose anything but the good.

I don't believe that it is necessary for a universalist to deny the reality of evil, and I don't believe that I do so. People, including me, do evil, hurtful and hateful things all the time. And pain and hatred are sown and reaped by us all.

But Christianity is all about overcoming evil.

Our rebellion is caused by many things, but our illness will be healed.

To put it another way - Jesus saves.

Where is the good news in your view that we choose our destiny? I can't even choose not to be grumpy around my family at Christmas - and you tell me I should rejoice because my eternal fate is in my hands?

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
[...] Where is the good news in your view that we choose our destiny? I can't even choose not to be grumpy around my family at Christmas - and you tell me I should rejoice because my eternal fate is in my hands?

Excuse me? The good news is that as a cognitive human being you have a choice and can take responsibility for your actions. I suppose some would see no difference between struggling towards a life-preserver and being helped into it while unconscious. The end result is the same.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
just to clarify:
You mean that some refuse to accept the reality of a situation and prefer to remain in a delusion and you can't make them believe?

The dwarfs are for the dwarfs.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

Believe or not, but your last sentence's meaning has escaped me.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Believe or not, but your last sentence's meaning has escaped me.

The dwarfs in The Last Battle exemplify the attitude addressed in your question. Almost perfectly.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

Ah. Thanks. All is clear now. [Smile]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Where is the good news in your view that we choose our destiny? I can't even choose not to be grumpy around my family at Christmas - and you tell me I should rejoice because my eternal fate is in my hands?

You wish to remain eternally infantile?

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:

You wish to remain eternally infantile?
Perhaps we don't have a choice about whether or not we do, and so must make a decision about how to handle the fact that we are?

Unless you are like a child you cannot enter the Kingdom of God. If you believe the Kingdom of God is actually here on earth, and is the state of being that people enter into once they realize their true inheritance/potential, then you could say that until someone recognizes that they ARE child-like for eternity, they will never realize their true inheritance/potential.

Demas, PaulTH, Mousethief--where have ya'll been? Good to see you back around. [Smile]

-Digory

[ 22. December 2005, 04:04: Message edited by: professorkirke ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

We are to become like little children, not like infants.

(aside to Prof Kirke: I've been right here!)

--------------------

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Demas I don't deny the reality of evil, especially in myself where I experience it daily. Neither do I seny the dualism within our present mode of existence. What I can't accept is that dualism has any objective reality outside the distorted will of sentient creatures or that God will alloow it to persist into eternity. If it did, the "experiment" of creation would have been a failure.

Gort's quotation of the old adage is, admittedly a stumbling block for universalists, but our interpretation of it depends on what we think terms such as "all men" mean in that context. It seems to me that in this life there are many people who are never drawn to Christ or given the gift of faith by the Holy Spirit. Unless you believe that they are born to damnation, as in the worst excesses of Augustinian and Calvinist theology, it is reasonable to conclude that they must receive Him in a way we can't understand, perhaps after death.

Zoroastrians are often labelled as dualists because they believe in an alternative evil power in creation, which I don't, but ultimately they believe that God will triumph and evil will cease to exist. For my own understanding of God, that is a necessary final outcome, even if we must suffer the reality of our own hell in the present.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
I suppose some would see no difference between struggling towards a life-preserver and being helped into it while unconscious.

Count me among them.

quote:
The end result is the same.
Exactly. As long as your life is saved, why worry about how?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH:
That can only mean predestination in which God creates people for the purpose of sending them to eternal hell. Otherwise He would draw them. The Holy Spirit would give them the gift of faith. But Jesus does promise to draw all men

If by this you mean that predestination (in some form) is the only logically coherent alternative to universalism (in some form), then I am inclined to agree.

To be honest, I have always been very frustrated by attempts made by people who sincerely accept Calvinistic predestination, to explain it in any way that doesn't make God into a monster. Although thinking Calvinists at one level are obliged to accept `double predestination' (the idea that God creates specific individuals to be saved, and others to be damned), they can't talk or write about it clearly because at another level they know it is monstrous.

For example, the following is from Charles Hedrick, who moderates the soc.religion.christian newsgroup:

quote:

Calvinism says that God is wholly responsible for salvation. God forgives us, engrafts us into Christ, regenerates us, and moves us through the power of the Holy Spirit.[...] With those who are saved, God operates in a personal way, through the presence of the Holy Spirit and our union with Christ. [...] There is no equivalent for those who reject God. While their rejection is part of an overall history for which God is responsible, God does not take specific actions to make them reject him, as he takes actions to redeem his children [my emphasis]

You'll note he uses the passive voice to refer to people who are saved. They don't save themselves by their own actions, they `are saved' by God acting through Christ.

But, of those whom he knows perfectly well have been preordained to damnation -- in fact, created by God specifically with damnation in mind -- he says: ``...those who reject god...'' Note the sudden change to the active voice now.

He can't say ``..those who are not saved...'' or ``...those who God has chosen for damnation...'' even though this would be theologically more accurate -- I'm not sure why. Is it because, even in his own mind he can't fully accept double predestination? Or is it that he knows perfectly well that non-Calvinist readers will recoil in horror if the writes with symmetry about the saved and the unsaved?

This kind of doublethink permeates all the writings of modern Protestant theologians who accept the basic Lutheran position on predestination (i.e., all of them). Only a tiny minority are prepared to be fully honest, which is to say: ``Yes, most people are created specifically by God to be damned. We don't know why. Get used to it''.

Catholics, on the whole, accept predestination as well, but shy away from the `double predestination' of Calvin. If you read the section on this in the Catholic Encyclopedia, you'll see the same woolly writing that is employed by Protestant theologians, because it's not logically possible to accept predestination without accepting double predestination.

I submit that the real problem lies with justification by faith itself. If you reject the idea that a specific faith or belief set is a necessary condition for salvation, these problems all disappear. But if you do that, you are left with some notion of `salvation by works' (which most Christian eschew -- at least publicly), or some form of universalism.

As I said, I prefer universalism because the alternative is that God is a monster, which isn't something I can seriously accept.

As an aside, I sometimes wonder what Calvin would have done, if atheism had been a serious alternative for him. It's clear that he found the idea of double predestination extremely unpalatable, but did not reject it because to do so would be to reject some of the most fundamental Christian beliefs about God. Had he been free to reject those beliefs, I wonder what would have happened?

I am particularly dismayed that even CS Lewis -- normally a clear thinker on Christian matters -- could not get this subject straight. One of his most famous statements, made in one of his `Mere Christianity' radio broadcasts, concerned the fate of moral non-Christians. He said:

``Though all salvation is through Jesus, we need not conclude that He cannot save those who have not explicitly accepted Him in this life.''

Which is about as far from justification by faith as one can possibly get. But in another, on the subject of a Christian's duty to others, he said:

``You are not doing these things in order to be saved, but because He has begun to save you already''

Eh? This appears to be bog-standard standard Lutheranism. And then he said:

``Not only do we need to recognize that we are sinners; we need to believe in a Savior who takes away sins.''

Which is a clear statement of justification by faith.

So what's going on here? Why is there so much muddled thinking in this area? I think it's straightforward -- justification by faith, taken to its logical conclusion, leads to the concept of a monster God, an evil-minded tyrant. Nobody wants to accept this, so we can't take it to its logical conculsion.

Comments welcome:)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
I think it's straightforward -- justification by faith, taken to its logical conclusion, leads to the concept of a monster God, an evil-minded tyrant.

I disagree. That is only the logical conclusion if we assume that faith is only possible if God grants it to us.

If, on the other hand, having faith is something we can achieve by ourselves then the conclusions are very different...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be a little picky, CC, but isn't what Luther believed better termed "salvation by grace"? Let me unpack that a little. Sure, Luther's "new" perspective (of course, it wasn't that new, merely a renewal of a concept that had been inherent in Christianity since the Acts of the Apostles, but rather submerged in the predominant medieaval worldview) was that the individual could access that grace through personal faith, apart from the mediation of the church. I don't think he was saying that anyone who did not share that understanding was damned.

I think he probably still believed in the faith of the church, he just understood the church differently. As has already been pointed out on this thread, he lived in a society where the default position was to be a christian. His message to those christian people was, "Hey, you can access the riches of Christ for yourself, and be confident of your inheritance as a son or daughter of God, apart from the rituals of (what he regarded as) an apostate church, which seeks to hold that inheritance from you. The way you can do this is by faith".

Perhaps LutheranChik or some other member of the Ship's Lutheran contingent would care to comment.

JoyfulSoul, you wrote:
quote:

Again, I don't know if anything can be resolved if some of us argue from completely different understandings regarding knowledge/rebellion.

Not sure really whether I think this is an adequate statement of the universalist perspective. I certainly wouldn't describe rebellion as a misunderstanding, and I'm fairly sure that there is a distinct difference between being held to account and being punished, but I think that I do believe that when we see face-to-face, the individual will be freed up to respond to the Divine in a way which is not possible in this life.

For all, the change will be huge, but for those who have (seemingly) rejected God in this life the change will be beyond our ability to comprehend from our perspective here and now.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian
quote:
Originally posted by me
I think it's straightforward -- justification by faith, taken to its logical conclusion, leads to the concept of a monster God, an evil-minded tyrant.

I disagree. That is only the logical conclusion if we assume that faith is only possible if God grants it to us.
If, on the other hand, having faith is something we can achieve by ourselves then the conclusions are very different...

Sorry, I am not defining my terms clearly enough. I am using the term `justification by faith' in the Calvinist sense:

``We compare faith to a kind of vessel; for unless we come empty and with the mouth of our souls open to seek Christ's grace, we are not capable of receiving Christ''

For the Calvinist, faith is the outward expression of `justification' (i.e., being made just) by God. The Elect have faith because they are justified (i.e., predestined to righteousness). The damned have no faith because they have been predestined to have no faith and be damned. In short, faith is gift that some people are given, and some not.

My understanding is that the notion that a person can, of his own initiative and free will, come to find faith, is considered a heresy (pelagianism, or semi-pelagianism) by both Catholic and Protestant denominations.

(I'm saying you're wrong or that I don't agree with you; I'm merely saying that most observant Christians seem to hold to views that would be considered heretical by their own denominations; and I'm wondering why that should be).

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
My understanding is that the notion that a person can, of his own initiative and free will, come to find faith, is considered a heresy (pelagianism, or semi-pelagianism) by both Catholic and Protestant denominations.

A stance which is doing as much to keep me away from church as the rest of the religion put together. Because I don't feel any Call From God, so for me to go along anyway out of some grudging sense of duty or desire for Salvation is of no more spiritual benefit to me than waiting at home (or in the pub [Biased] ) for that Call to come...

Oh how I wish a person could "of his own initiative and free will, come to find faith "...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

quote:

A stance which is doing as much to keep me away from church as the rest of the religion put together.

What strikes me as odd is that no churchgoer I have spoken to, of any denomination, really accepts justification by faith in its pure, Calvinistic sense. Even some who profess to be Calvinists seemed very surprised when I explained in detail what Calvin had actually said on the subject.

quote:

Oh how I wish a person could "of his own initiative and free will, come to find faith "...

According to Augustine, and taken up by Luther and Calvin, not only can a person not find salvation by embracing faith of his own free will, he cannot take even the tiniest step towards his own salvation unless elected by God. This is logical -- if you utterly reject the notion of `salvation by works', as Augustine did, this conclusion follows, because even a hestitant and trivial step towards faith, if made of one's own free will, is `works' (or a work, at least).

I would be very interested in any Calvinist responses to any of this [Smile]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016