homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Godfather, or Don, is indeed the Mafia spokesman, and lets me know who they're going to off.

I did say I was including different roles - Mafiosi aren't the only role who can kill.

Dropping the stern mask of the moderator for a moment, I apologise if anyone finds such a cryptic game frustrating. All the elements used in this round can be found on Wikipedia's article 'Mafia (game)', and on this page at Princeton.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry I missed the bit in your OP about extra roles being included but not being explained, I would have called you on it then

for the purposes of clarity and ease of play, please list and explain all the roles which are being played in this game(though quantities are not needed).

thanks

Papa Smurf
Circus Host

[ 17. October 2006, 11:56: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
I'm sorry I missed the bit in your OP about extra roles being included but not being explained, I would have called you on it then

for the purposes of clarity and ease of play, please list and explain all the roles which are being played in this game(though quantities are not needed).

Ouch. Keeping this information secret was an intended part of this variant. I had hoped people would enjoy the guesswork and deduction. The roles are:

Citizen - as standard
Mafioso - as standard
'Ndrinu - as a Mafioso, but belonging to a different and rival gang
Detetcive - as standard
Watchman - as the standard doctor; can protect one person per night from being killed
Mason - a a citizen, but the Masons all know each other

Apologies for this. I would have handled things differently if I had known this variant was not allowed.

Nevertheless - there's lots still here, so game on.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooooh, sounds exciting [Big Grin]

--------------------
It is so hard to believe, because it is so hard to obey. Soren Kierkegaard
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Teufelchen - I think knowing what is happening will allow a better enjoyment of the game, rather than "stumbling" about wondering what is going on.

Imagine it as if we were playing this in real life. You wouldn't have invited us all to play, and then only told a few people how to play it.

ETA - in the previous game the citizens won if they "found" all the Mafioso - the mafioso "won" if they outnumber the citizens. What are the "endpoints" for this game. Do the citizens have to find all the Maifa and all the rival group ?

[ 17. October 2006, 12:44: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Thanks Teufelchen - I think knowing what is happening will allow a better enjoyment of the game, rather than "stumbling" about wondering what is going on.

On balance, I agree. I'm in favour of an air of mystery - I'm not in favour of stumbling.

[Further discussion of 'hidden information' games saved for discussion elsewhere.]

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
ETA - in the previous game the citizens won if they "found" all the Mafioso - the mafioso "won" if they outnumber the citizens. What are the "endpoints" for this game. Do the citizens have to find all the Maifa and all the rival group ?

Yes. However, the two gangs (Mafia and 'Ndrangheta) are also each aiming to be the last standing, so the citizens have some unexpected help in bagging criminals. Also, the added roles on the citizen side - Mason and Watchman - assist the citizens.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm sorry I missed the bit in your OP about extra roles being included but not being explained

From which we may deduce that Papa Smurf is probably not a 'Ndrinu, Watchman or Mason.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
JJ, who has spent most of the day drinking coffee and watching the world go by, gets up from her chair, throws some dollars on the table, picks up her violin case and starts to walk back down to the docks. She was still aware of someone watching her but blamed it on too much caffine.

Once she reached the dock, she took a closer look at the graffiti... Was this some musical code? Was it a request in code from an admirer? She had no idea, so she decided to busk closer to the graffiti, just in case the code would come to her in a moment of Mozart...

She opened her violin case as usual, tuned up, and started to play... all the time her eyes were focused on the graffiti:

{R&J:1:1:1}&!{Mac:4:2:59-60}

[ 17. October 2006, 13:23: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And on further analysis, he's probably not a Mafioso, either - because the 'Ndrangheta brief must necessarily say that they are a second gang, so it doesn't stretch credibility too far to suppose that the Mafia brief contains the same information (otherwise the 'Ndrangheta know more than the Mafia, and the "informed minority vs. clueless majority" principle is seriously obscured). So if PS has only just picked up on the extra roles then he's a citizen or detective.

That's not to say that we shouldn't lynch him for clearly not paying attention, of course. [Biased]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
because the 'Ndrangheta brief must necessarily say that they are a second gang, so it doesn't stretch credibility too far to suppose that the Mafia brief contains the same information (otherwise the 'Ndrangheta know more than the Mafia, and the "informed minority vs. clueless majority" principle is seriously obscured)

Unless, of course, the "clueless majority" were intended to be everyone who didn't know about the 'Ndrangheta, which would have meant (until Papa Smurf asked for clarification) that the Mafia would have been wondering why they'd only agreed one murder and then two had been announced...

Oh I don't know. My brain hurts, as the late Dr Gumby would have said.

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

or maybe I'm just good at keeping my (absent minded)Hosting and (clueless) playing brains separate from one another.

Notice how I only asked for an explanation after someone else had also noticed something unusual was going on...
(eta - how do you know my hostly request wasn't becuase of a raft of complaints)

[ 17. October 2006, 14:08: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Boy Wonder:
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
because the 'Ndrangheta brief must necessarily say that they are a second gang, so it doesn't stretch credibility too far to suppose that the Mafia brief contains the same information (otherwise the 'Ndrangheta know more than the Mafia, and the "informed minority vs. clueless majority" principle is seriously obscured)

Unless, of course, the "clueless majority" were intended to be everyone who didn't know about the 'Ndrangheta, which would have meant (until Papa Smurf asked for clarification) that the Mafia would have been wondering why they'd only agreed one murder and then two had been announced...
Not necessarily. The identity of the 'killer' faction isn't totally fixed anyway - I could have replaced gangsters wholesale with werewolves.

I've tried to include a few clues in the scene-setting - and not just the controversial graffiti.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
JJ, who has spent most of the day drinking coffee and watching the world go by, gets up from her chair, throws some dollars on the table, picks up her violin case and starts to walk back down to the docks. She was still aware of someone watching her but blamed it on too much caffine.

Once she reached the dock, she took a closer look at the graffiti... Was this some musical code? Was it a request in code from an admirer? She had no idea, so she decided to busk closer to the graffiti, just in case the code would come to her in a moment of Mozart...

She opened her violin case as usual, tuned up, and started to play... all the time her eyes were focused on the graffiti:

{R&J:1:1:1}&!{Mac:4:2:59-60}

(Just to bring us back to the game in hand!)

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Smurf heard the sirens as he awoke, but chose to ignore them, they were so common nowadays.

As he went to shower, he turned the radio on, just in case it was something other than the "excuses" the local emergency services used to complain to him about. Cats stuck up trees, and pregnant women calling for ambulances at the mere thought they were about to give birth.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
or maybe I'm just good at keeping my (absent minded)Hosting and (clueless) playing brains separate from one another.

Notice how I only asked for an explanation after someone else had also noticed something unusual was going on...
(eta - how do you know my hostly request wasn't becuase of a raft of complaints)

Err... I'm arguing that you're probably not a murderer. The only people who will want to kill you if I'm right: (a) want you dead anyway; and (b) already know that you aren't in their gang.

Are you sure you want to point out why I might be wrong?

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dr Gumby reached his office, slipped inside, and without turning the light on, peered out through the blinds. The street was deserted. He was sure he'd been followed from the lodge, but maybe it was his imagination. He'd been strangely jumpy recently - it had probably been nothing more than a flickering shadow and the echo of his own footsteps.

With one more glance left and right, he exhaled heavily and turned on the lights. Removing the last of his masonic regalia, he stepped across the room to take his bedtime reading,
Spot's Birthday, from the top shelf. He'd only got halfway when a bullet smashed through the window and embedded itself in his head.

"My Brain hurts," he cried, as he collapsed to the floor. Someone obviously thought he was either too clever by half, or knew too much. As his last moments of consciousness slipped away, he had a vision of a small, red demon telling him that his wild guess at the meaning of the graffiti had been spot on. Maybe if he'd kept quiet, this would have been someone else's fate.

With this thought, he curled up his tootsies, shuffled off this mortal coil and went to join his ex-parrot in the great big cage in the sky.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chelley had recently heard local people talking about Shakespeare... it took her a little by surprise, but she decided that it might be good to revisit some of those classic plays. She dug out her 'Complete Works' from the trunk in the corner of her wooden home, turned to 'Twelfth Night' and began to read...

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meriadoc Took walked down the hallway towards her small apartment. She was tired, she was always tired after meetings, but the camraderie was well worth it.

There was something posted on her apartment door.
She scanned this page.

With a barely audible 'pop' her head exploded.

Meriadoc Took: orphan, citizen, mason, and all around nice person- was dead.

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
nem
Shipmate
# 11108

- Posted      Profile for nem   Email nem   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nem is so sad adn so very confused. Yet more innocent deaths adn so many more killers to cope with. She fears this may lead to her death being more imminent than she had hoepd. At least she can sleep easy at night knowing she is not the cause of such horrific deaths.
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dorothy hummed to herself as she let herself into the clinic bright and early. If the receptionist didn't show up this morning she wanted to have a head start. She wondered if Dr.Gumby had actually transferred everything from his desk diary into the one in reception and walked into his office to check. As she opened the door the appointments schedule in her hand fell to the floor. The good doctor was clearly dead, a child's book covered in bits of his brain lay next to what was left of his head.

Her nursing instincts kicked in, and she felt for a pulse anyway, as she looked around the room in fear that the killer might be still on the premises. Some strange regalia she had never seen before hung on the hatstand next to the Doctor's fire warden helmet. There was glass in the fishtank and one fish was trailing blood as it swam. The blind hung awry over the broken window. Dorothy simply could not stay in the room another second. She bolted down the hallway and dialed the police from the front desk. As she did her eye fell on an appointment sheet that had fallen to the floor. In Dr.Gumby's almost illegible writing it said SIR KEVIN.

(Dorothy is nominating Sir.Kevin the Quiet)

[ 17. October 2006, 23:35: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As the dawn broke, Little Stevie was awoken by gunshots and more sirens. "Why did she choose to come here?" he thought, as a cockroach scuttled past his toes. "Of all the dung heaps in all the world, she had to pick this one."

Walking down the street to the deli for breakfast, Little Stevie couldn't help but hear all the news travelling between residents. Apparently, there had been two suspicious deaths in the night - one by gunshot, the other thought to be spontaneous cranial combustion. Little Stevie was no expert on medical matters, but spontaneous cranial combustion sounded quite unpleasant. Fortunately, he'd heard there was a new brain surgeon in town, so he should be able to help...

As he chewed on his bagel, Little Stevie picked up the morning paper from the rack by the door. More reports of mafia activity. Further warnings about citizens' safety. But most importantly, there it was, on page 27 - sudoku. Three quarters of an hour later, Little Stevie realised there was nowhere left for that 8 to go without ruining the whole puzzle, so he took his usual approach and scrawled "ARSE" in large letters across the grid. Now to get on with his day. "I'd best start looking for some leads to track down my girl" , he thought, "but first, I'd better head for the gun store and get myself a piece - looks like I'm gonna need all the protection I can get in this town..."

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zorro lights a rolled cigarette, and ponders the news as he passes a news-stand. A tragedy. A double murder. Possibly this wasn't the right place to move to. He's made a big mistake. Then, something more tragic than the double murder catches his eye. The local bus-service has stopped, due to the strike. It's a 30 mile walk to the nearest place. And that's Pesto City. Can't go back there.

As he walks, inconspicuously, down the street, he realises it'd be a good move to mark out escape routes. If the worst comes to the worst, he might need to do that 30 miles, but who knows where it'd end. A lot more than 30 miles, that's for sure.

--------------------
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As christianjimmy finally braved the outdoors, after passing a terrified night, huddled up in his blankets, he realised that perhaps this town wasnt the safest place to be right now. Two deaths, in one night. A little high for the time of year. But what to do? How could he be safe, and protect himslf from evil mafia attacks? Eyes down, dont make a scene, never draw attention to yourself - yes, thats what his old dad had taught him before the tragic accident while crossing the road. This situation was going to call for a wise head, an observant eye - and a lot of brown-nosing anyone who might want to bump him off...
As he walked down the road, he smiled at everyone he passed, neervously at first, but slowly gaining more confidence as he realised that everyone else wore the same haunted look that he'd seen that morning in the mirror.
Time for a coffee he thought to himself. No, he changed his mind, maybe the bar would be a better place to gather his thoughts and start the day. Yes, off to the bar, and maybe a chance to chat over the events of the night with any other residents who over-relied on alcohol...
And so he settled onto a stool at the bar and called out

Barman Ezio, a whisky for me, and whatever anyone else is having.

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From behind the curtains of her new apartment, Miss Celeste Smudgeson peers out at the street below. There is a strange and edgy looking masked man stood at the bus stop... looks as though he's mislaid his horse, though who would ride a horse in an area like this. The bow-legs were rather telling, though.

The area seems awash with police cars and mortuary vehicles and the local populace wear a pallid and shocked expression so it is not long before Miss Smudgeson begins to fear that the dangerous environment her dear sister had encountered may be more widely spread than at first appeared.

She adjusts her cardi to show just a little more cleavage.. not that she particularly has any, but hopefully imagination will fill in any shortfall, and it does provide a handy place to store her handkerchief. Donning her high heeled shoes once more, she sallies forth (with a rather tortuous step) to explore the area.

As she ventures out of the front door of the apartment building, there is just one overwhelming thought in her mind.

That bandy-legged escapee from a hallowe'en party looks guilty for sure. I've heard rumours that the mafia fled undetected from my sister's town and I am sure he bears an uncanny resemblance to the oddball my sister mentioned in her letter as being a suspicious character. I accuse Zorro, whatever his name is.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

As Little Stevie left the gun store, now armed and ready in case he needed to defend himself, a thought occurred to him. This in itself was a rare occurrence, so he sat on the sidewalk to try to process this confusion. It was nothing really, just something he'd overheard another diner saying in the deli that morning...

quote:
Originally posted by nem (but rephrased here so she isn't speaking about herself in the third person):
At least I can sleep easy at night knowing I am not the cause of such horrific deaths.

What was it about that girl's words that stuck in Little Stevie's head? He thought a while longer... and then the penny dropped. No one had accused this girl of anything, and yet she insisted on announcing her innocence. Little Stevie looked up and saw another piece of graffiti on the wall of the gun store:

{Ham:3:2:228} *

That made up his mind. Little Stevie loaded the magazine of his weapon and headed back into town.

J'accuse nem

*assuming Gumby's link from earlier on is correct...

--------------------

Also by the same author

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

We've now had three nominations:

Sir Kevin nominated by Banner Lady
Zorro nominated by Smudgie
nem nominated by Stevie Boy Wonder

As there are 22 of you still standing, it will take 11 votes to hang any of them, assuming the remainder of the vote is split. However, before voting, we have:

The Defence Phase

The accused have 24 hours from the time of this post to defend themselves. Or argue with each other, or quote Shakespeare. As before, the accused may say they are finished with defence before the time is up.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Boy Wonder:
there had been two suspicious deaths in the night - one by gunshot, the other thought to be spontaneous cranial combustion.

A voice is heard; distant, and soft, as if from behind a great veil...

Spontaneous my ass! It was MURDER!

[it's really hard for dead people to do code]

[ 18. October 2006, 10:44: Message edited by: Fool of a Took ]

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Smurf shook his head sadly as the news came in on the radio. he knew people, and so he knew what would come next. accusations and counter-accusations. Excuses, alibis and lies. and "Justice" at the end of it all ?
He ought to smile, people were so predictable, but he knew the horror that could ensue if innocents were accused and lynched.

He dressed, and headed into what passed for a Town Centre, to hear what stories would be told. As he walked, he mused with himself over a moral quandry.

Does not voting at all mean you are equally responsible for an innocent's death, if you could have prevented it by voting for someone else ?

[ 18. October 2006, 10:49: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------

Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

quote:
Does not voting at all mean you are equally responsible for an innocent's death, if you could have prevented it by voting for someone else ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but if a majority is needed for a player to be lynched, then your not voting for someone else won't make a difference to who gets lynched, as you would still have been in the minority had you voted. (Read that back to me and see if it makes sense...)

--------------------

Also by the same author

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roger had been hearing accounts of the murders from customers all morning. He was beginning to understand how his brother had felt in Pesto. All this killing, and now there was talk of getting up a mob to deal out its’ own kind of justice. Of course, Ricky had been a victim of such a mob, so Roger was wary. But at the same time, if there was a killer about they must be stopped by whatever means necessary. Sadly when the police responded at all in these parts they took far too long.

But who could be responsible for this carnage? There were still so many unanswered questions. He would have to keep his ears and eyes open for clues for the rest of the day.

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

JJ was overwhelmed with fear when she heard the sirens and people talking in hushed tones. She put her violin away and headed back to the cafe in the town centre...

--------------------

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

quote:
That bandy-legged escapee from a hallowe'en party looks guilty for sure. I've heard rumours that the mafia fled undetected from my sister's town and I am sure he bears an uncanny resemblance to the oddball my sister mentioned in her letter as being a suspicious character. I accuse Zorro, whatever his name is.
Smudgie's right. I was mafia. Then I fell out with "the family." That's why I'm here. I left Pesto city and joined the legion. They gave me a new name, and a new challenge. When they discharged me, I was allowed a free ticket to anywhere, and figured this little backwater was the place to go straight. Unfortunately, Linguo showed up, and we all remember what she said last time

quote:
"But now you will return to New York. We need you here; apart from anything else it's the day of my daughter's wedding soon, and we need somebody to sing at the service. And don't worry about Zorro - you won't be seeing him any time soon..."
Indeed she didn't. I ran, joined the legion, and spent the next 5 years in Djibouti. That hardens you up, Smudgie. I've learned my lesson. If you're going to play against the system, make sure you do it in a group, because on your own, or with a group you don't get on with, you're just a sitting duck.

Lynch me if you want. We all know there are people in this town who want me dead, after I took them out last time. I have no intention of apologising for what I did. It was a shame, and the consequences sadden me, but at the end of the day, I was misguided. Now, I'm trying to sort things out. If you want me dead for retribution, then go for it-but it'd be a waste. The mafia weren't going to have me back, and I'm not up for the whole gang thing anymore.

Nowadays it's Zorro, working for himself.

--------------------

leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leo's mother had told him never to trust a mason, but now, with two innocent masons dead he's not so sure. And now there is talk of a lynching, and someone is loudly protesting their innocence in the square.

Former mafia, he thinks, how can you be former mafia? Isn't mafia, like family, for life?

But who knows? Leo sits on a bench to read while awaiting the other accused and their defence. What to read though? Perhaps
Accidental Death of an Anarchist would be appropriate.

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Posts: 892 | From: Stage left | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chocolate. Doesn’t chocolate solve almost all the world’s troubles? Mrs. Cuppy has been busy getting the inventory sorted out of boxes and starting to make the goods. She has the nuts roasted and salted, a large batch of the basic fondant mixed, and two pots of chocolate tempering on the stovetop – dark chocolate and milk chocolate. Some ready-made white chocolate is on the shelf to be melted down. Mrs. Cuppy has never really seen the point of white chocolate, although it does make a pretty contrast in arranging pieces in a box. By this afternoon she estimates she will have enough small trays made to be able to open the store to the public. From the looks of it, this town definitely needs chocolate.

In between taking care of the shop and getting her large family settled around, Mrs. Cuppy suddenly realizes that she must vote today. Such a bother. She really does not know the candidates well at all. She crosses herself (unsure whether it is a prayer for help or for forgiveness) and casts her vote reluctantly for Sir Kevin . Later today she hears there are to be a couple of funerals. She hopes she will be able to attend, but she doubts it.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

CuppaT, voting hasn't started yet. We're still in the defence phase, and (unless I'm going blind) Sir Kevin hasn't showed up to defend himself yet.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

"There's always a keen one" thought Smurf as he listened to the Town's murmurings.
"She might be worth keeping an eye on. Then again, she may just be another one of these 'random shouter's that seem to be arounda lot these days."

note ' was not intended as mistaken plural apostroph, but as a way of highlighting the phrase "random shouter" without using "s inside of "s

[ 18. October 2006, 14:11: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
He glides silently through the house, and comes to the bedroom.

He kicks through the door, waving the gun at the bed.

"That's some fine Italian, 'mam. Excellent structural usage, and good, strong vocab. My congratulations."

He leaves, and curses in French at being scratched by a cat. The legion taught you a lot of things. Stealth, cunning...cusses. He decided to let the cat live.

This time.

I've only just noticed this [Smile] So Zorro can't possibly get lynched.

Though if my cat mysteriously keels over, I'll know who to blame ...

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The young man in grey is nervous. Clearly somebody has noticed his resemblance to Pesto City's victorious mafia hitwoman. How can he make them realise that while he is in the family, he's not in The Family?
Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by christianjimmy:

Barman Ezio, a whisky for me, and whatever anyone else is having.

Ezio decides he likes this newcomer. He pours one for cj, and takes one for himself.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

Now that the cafe is closed, JJ decides to head for the bar that she overheard some man talking about... she picks up her violin case and, after asking the cafe owner directions to the bar, walks fast... Is anyone safe here?

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tsk, tsk. Mrs. Cuppy is mostly a bumbling fool. The voting poles were not open yet, and now she will have to go out on another errand later in the day. She really ought to mind her own business. Sigh. But it was a nice day for a walk, so she makes the best of it.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Erlendur Eliabsson sits on his bed staring at the cheap black-and-white TV with mounting horror and grief.

Dr Gumby is dead. Merry Took is dead. And the reporter is saying that an angry crowd is gathering to seek revenge for Mafia killings. Eliabsson cannot quite make out the faces of the accused - the reporter's figure fills the screen and the image of the crowd is grainy and obscure - but it looks like that might be ...

Erlendur stands up quickly and hurries to the door, but then stops in a moment of indecision. Two Masons murdered. It cannot be a coincidence. If these are Mafia killings, the few surviving lodge-members will be in danger. He stares down at his hand, and sees the familiar compass insignia of his signet ring, pauses, and then starts to draw it off. He slips the ring into his pocket. Better to be safe.

Then he stops again.
"They were your friends. They deserve better than that. And how many years do you honestly think you have left in you really worth living, you old fool?" he asks himself. "Are you going to spend the last of them hiding from some greasy-haired gangsters who crawl around in the night like the cowards they are? No. Fuck ‘em. Fuck ‘em all to hell."

Erlendur Eliabsson defiantly forces the masonic ring back onto his hand and walks calmly out of his apartment.

A few minutes later, the door opens again and the old fisherman is back. He carefully selects the largest and most vindictively sharp gutting-knife he can find, secures it in a stout leather sheath at his back, and grins. Then he goes to find the assembled townspeople.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have another one Barman, and strange-violin-case-carrying lady - the more the merrier,
growled christianjimmy from the bar as he downed his whisky. He could smell in the air violence was coming - it was an angry town, and would want blood soon.
Another one for me!
He called out, desperately hoping that it would help numb the pain of what the townsfolk would have to do. As the bar filled up, he repeated his order
Another whisky and whatever anyone else is having.
As the assorted drunks, hangers-on and moochers gratefully claimed their free drinks christianjimmy canvassed opinion.
So who do you think it was? Is Zorro pulling a funny one again? Does the lady protest too much? (nice use of shakespeare btw Steve!) And is Sir Kevins absence telling? And if not, is someone trying to frame him by planting an appointment with the last Dr G???
Tell me you bar bums, tell me what you think...

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

JJ accepts a drink from the strange Christian at the bar... he told her this was pink champagne... JJ is scared, but she takes the drink and thanks the man, and then she moves the corner of the pub, settles down in a chair, takes a sip of her drink and decides to play her violin again....

As she plays, she looks into her open violin case... she reaches down and pulls out a cigarette...

"Great, a fag but no money", she thinks to herself... She puts the ciggy to her lips, from nowhere, someone lights the fag in her lips... she inhales deeply and begins to play.

JJ has heard the rumours of the murdered ones and is in fear for her life... so, in order to stay strong, she sups a little more of the pink in her glass...as she starts to play another melody, her eyes start rolling... she can not focus.... as the room begins to spin, she puts down her violin and falls asleep.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ezio gets the cosh ready behind the bar. He doesn't want someone getting people too riled up. Not in his bar.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

Zorro, not wanting to socialise with a crowd that invoves the ex-family, heads for the hills. He rolls a cigarette, as the sun sets over the murky, blue ocean. The sky is clear and azure, but to his right, he can see the town. What will happen. Is it his time? If so, it's really just his luck. He deserves no favours. If they want to kill him in retribution, let them. Their loss. He's got so little to live for anyway.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Autumn drives slowly along the shore road. So many deaths! She hopes this won't hurt the real estate market in Cosenza Beach. And more graffiti showing up! That will definitely depress prices. Oh dear, oh dear. Maybe a drink is in order. She heads towards Ezio's.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It had been a long day and Dorothy was sorely in need of a good stiff drink and some company. The police had arrived and spent the day interrogating her and all the clients that arrived for appointments with the late doctor. They insisted she stay to answer questions on the medical background of all these people that she didn't know. It seemed like she had told them a hundred times that she really was new here and could provide very little assistance.

She stopped outside Ezio's, pulled off her nurses cap, stuffed it in her little red carry-all and headed inside for a G & T. Strictly medicinal purposes only, of course. The bar was packed, and the barman was run off his feet. When he finally brought her a drink she asked what was going on? His reply made her immediately order a second drink. Another murder on the same day? And angry people baying for yet more blood? Dorothy shivered.

The second drink was even longer coming. As he plonked it in front of her Dorothy put her hand on the barman's arm.

"I see you are a bit understaffed tonight. I'm actually out of a job now, but I worked my way through college by bartending. I can still pull a mean beer. If you want to trial this, I could lend you a hand in here. I'm not too keen on going home right now."

The barman looked at her hard, and told her he'd give it some thought as even more customers tumbled in through the door.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chelley had spent a while reading some Shakespeare when all the grafitti talk had been going around... but this evening she was in need of something a little more comforting and easy-going. She had a horrible cold brewing, which was nothing to complain about when she thought of the families of those poor people who had been killed. But still, she decided to stay in, in the safety of her little wooden home, and get wrapped up with a blanket and hot water bottle. She took off the shelf a lighter read, and settled down, hoping for a quiet night.

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016