homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Why not just have a siren go off? "FAT-so, FAT-so, FAT-so!" (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Why not just have a siren go off? "FAT-so, FAT-so, FAT-so!"
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Both Alan and Flausa have suddenly joined the "recent visitors" list

I have a feeling I am up shit creek. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That skeeeeeeeeeeeeeny keeeeeeed Alan? Peh! (I'd watch out for the floozy if I were you though.)

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I confessed my "thing" for bald guys to her once, and she took it well.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly, I completely understand the attraction to my husband. I'm just offended you don't think he married me because he thought I was a sexy Nautilus machine.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sooo.... how about those Dockers, hey? Do you think they'll do any better this season?

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ananke
Shipmate
# 10059

- Posted      Profile for ananke   Email ananke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I didn't explain in graphic detail what the differences were? Does this look like T'n'T to you? Let me just mention these: We could could have vigorous penetrative sex while I was driving. More generally, though, was the fact that I could support her entire weight with one arm. This will have to be sufficient for even your plainly meagre imagination.

That's more than enough detail. Particularly the thought of someone driving whilst having sex. *shudder* Not a good thing. Not to mention both of those things are not bound by skinniness - I probably could do the first, but choose safety instead, and since my husband happens to have a fair bit of muscle, can do the second. I also happen to be close to 100kg.

My poor imagination, so limited by safety, sanity and muscular men...

--------------------
...and I bear witness, this grace, this prayer so long forgotten.

A Perfect Circle - Magdalena

Posts: 617 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We could could have vigorous penetrative sex while I was driving.

I hope it didn't cause you to spill your drink.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ananke:
That may be, but you didn't answer my question as to exactly what changes. I've gone from healthy to obese (by the BMI) and nowt has changed, so either you were going for very obese women, or didn't have the mechanics down pat.

We could could have vigorous penetrative sex while I was driving.
(judicious edit by Anselmina)

Hey ananke, you could be on to a good thing here. He doesn't make that offer to just anyone you know.... [Biased]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope I don't walk into the shitstorm here but I think that most people look first at people who fit into their category of good looking (no comments at all intended about what fits there for most people.)
If you don't strike most people as good looking then it's harder to get people's attention, I'd say. Probably, once you do, you have similar chances of a serious relationship suceeding as anyone else.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Practically, since we're spending so much time thinking and debating about it:
One certainly could gather evidence to prove something--start a poll in the circus asking whether people would date an obese member of the appealing sex. I have no idea what the results would say and I don't know how other people would feel about this, so I'm not doing it but it is an interesting idea, IMO.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gang shuo Caocao, Caocao jiu dao*.

The Poll awaits you in the Circus.

[ETA: * loosely, 'Speak of the Devil!', Caocao a warlord from the time of the 3 Kingdoms)

[ 07. January 2007, 14:33: Message edited by: Jimmy B ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
Kelly, I completely understand the attraction to my husband. I'm just offended you don't think he married me because he thought I was a sexy Nautilus machine.

What do you think I meant by "intelligence level"? The guy has good taste.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just started playing around with a BMI calculator. I discovered when I first got out of the military I weighed 185 pounds. I had to buy jeans a size to large for my waist so the legs would fit*. Yet I by BMI standards I would have been considered overweight.

That did not remain long and I have since gained more than a few pounds.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

See, that's why I think there's so much heat on this thread-- I think a lot of people are clinically, BMI-wise, obese, and they know it. It just doesn't show. It might not even significantly impact their general health or activity level. This is the kind of person who is generally healthy, but can't look at a slice of bread without acquiring it on their thighs, sort of thing.

Or the person who gets on track with a good excercise routine, MESSES UP HER FUCKING FOOT!, and re-gains ten pounds by simply not starving herself to compensate for the lack of excercise. Grrr. [Mad]

So the lucky Perfect Specimens toss around the word "obese" innocently meaning "somebody who is manifestly grossly overweight" when it might not mean that in a lot of people's minds.

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To me, someone who is manifestly grossly overweight weighs in excess of 25 stone. At least.

That isn't because I am ignorant of the medical defination, as I'm not, but because, to me, the catergories "obese" and "morbidly obese" obscure real differences.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Aha! Good point.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
So the lucky Perfect Specimens toss around the word "obese" innocently meaning "somebody who is manifestly grossly overweight" when it might not mean that in a lot of people's minds.

And whose problem is that?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Anybody who actually wants to get their point across.

Of course, I guess the tradition around here is to judge people for what you think they are saying, so pardon me for trying to analyze that.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That's more than enough detail. Particularly the thought of someone driving whilst having sex. *shudder* Not a good thing. Not to mention both of those things are not bound by skinniness - I probably could do the first, but choose safety instead, and since my husband happens to have a fair bit of muscle, can do the second. I also happen to be close to 100kg.

My poor imagination, so limited by safety, sanity and muscular men...

I stand corrected - you appear to have some imagination. Though, from what I can tell, not particularly vivid.

The driving/sex thing is definitely not safe sex. Personally, driving my sports cars is one of the few things I compare to sex. So you'll just have to forgive me for being so happy about combining the two. However, unless you're driving something with a bench seat, and are remarkably flexible, it takes a pretty lean couple to fit the thighs around the hips in a bucket seat and maintain forward vision and access to all the controls.

As for the lifting of the female partner with one hand, I find myself suspicious about your experience with this during copulation. Because, if you had, you'd probably realize that in addition to being able to support someone during such a vigorous activity force-wise, it is also necessary to be able to wrap the arm most of the way around the waist. So, unless you've married a orangutan, it makes me suspect you are just being contrary.

Whatever. We are accomplishing nothing with this tangent. It was something of a conversion experience for me, however skeptical or annoyed you might feel about it. And you are comfortably certain that you are a vibrantly sexual being who is missing out on nothing - which I don't mean to contest. I suggest we drop this, and meander back to the central context of the thread, while trying to fix our dishevelled composure from this tryst of comparative sexual experience.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As amusing as it's been watching RooK squirm, I have to say that I took his sexual-tangent-producing remark as a reaction to the previous remarks about some people preferring chubbies. I may be reading too much into it, but I thought he was trying to point out (in his shitheaded way) that people who state a preference for chubby partners are actually being just as superficial and one-dimensional as people who say they only like thin partners. Which is to say that while most of us could think about the people we've been attracted to and conclude that we have a preference for one or the other, most of us realize that attraction is a much more complex and multifaceted thing. And that our idea of what we're attracted to can change with experience.

Anyway. The problem with these conversations (IME) is that most of us realize that things as they stand aren't good and we can and should do something. But when you start talking about what to do, people get defensive: "Are you calling me fat/unattractive/ lazy/ a slob/a pig/ worthless/ immoral/ whatever? Huh, are you?"

"Uh, no. I'm sure that someone somewhere has called you those things, but it wasn't me. I have a friend/relative whose on medication that makes her gain weight, so I have sympathy for that. On the other hand, I deliberately limit my fast food consumption, so it's hard to be sympathetic when my coworker eats an extra value meal every day for lunch."

"I have a medical condition! Stop judging me!"

"Uh, so are you my coworker? I don't know whether or not he has a medical condition, but I don't and I'd gain weight eating that every day."

Anyway. I think there's a place for both individual and collective action here. But it's not hard to get the impression that some people think "you're not obese, therefore you don't struggle with your weight or diet and exercise, therefore you can't participate in this conversation."

When the truth is, I've been struggling with my weight since I was a kid. And I'll acknowledge that it may be some accident of fate or genes or good health that has allowed me to mostly keep it in the healthy range as an adult and I don't judge people who haven't. But there are certain collective actions that would make things easier for me, and it's annoying to get shut out of the conversation or risk getting jumped on for suggesting that individual action will be a necessary component of even the best plan.

Though I do admit to being one of those people who tends to use obese to mean someone who is overweight enough that it does interfere with their health and ability to function in the world and not whatever measure the people who are trying to drum up funding have decided to use this week. So I may be guilty of tossing the word around too casually.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, he was saying "While some may say they prefer fatter chicks, if given the chance, they would choose a skinnier one, unless they are less attractive and can only attract fatter chicks."

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's not all I was saying, duchess. And that particular piece you've focused on is mostly about my cynicism regarding human interactions. Do you really need me to explain my logic underlying that particular sentiment again?

Don't you ever get tired of oversimplifying everything until it's meaningless? No, wait - I forgot: you voted for Dubya. Twice.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ananke
Shipmate
# 10059

- Posted      Profile for ananke   Email ananke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Because, if you had, you'd probably realize that in addition to being able to support someone during such a vigorous activity force-wise, it is also necessary to be able to wrap the arm most of the way around the waist. So, unless you've married a orangutan, it makes me suspect you are just being contrary.

See this makes me think your idea of fat/obese is completely different to mine, and to the world in general. Because Nova, while having slightly ape-like arms, can most definately encircle my waist, and I'd have to put on a shitload more weight to make that impossible. Simply because, like most women, I'm mostly pear shaped. I said before, my waist is below the maximum recommended for women, but I'm still close to 100kg.

I still get called fat, hit the BMI obese level and have trouble buying clothes. Still would be targeted by these 'helpful' measures of shaming and pamphletting. I'm not convinced that it will help, is ethical or at all sensible. I'm not convinced your average tool knows enough to be supported in telling fat people they're fat.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't use the word "obese" very often, but in my mind at least it doesn't apply until someone's weight/size is a health problem, maybe even killing them. Maybe someone like *Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is obese, the way I use the word.

(And my generous proportions have not prevented me from... erm.... enjoying automotive playtime. I just need a luxury sedan rather than a little sewing machine of a car, is all. And a man able to manhandle me and drive simultaneously. Unless I'm driving.)

*(Here's a url for a video that wouldn't link for me. Just put it all together in your browser and it should work:

http:// video. google. com/ videoplay?
docid=3090180824233343584&q
=Israel+Kamakawiwo%27ole&hl=en )

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
I'm not convinced your average tool knows enough to be supported in telling fat people they're fat.

In that, we have complete agreement. People are idiots.

However, I do maintain that it makes sense for society to try to find some way to curb casual trends of obesity.

WARNING: Rambling ahead contains amateur and unresearched opinions. Ingest at your own risk.

The basic human body is primarily a semi-tropical plains or water shore hunter-gathering machine, designed to expend lots of effort to be able to derive sustenance from meagre sources. In order to expand outside of comfortable bare-skin territory, it was necessary to adapt our lives with such things as clothing and fire. Our current model of existence, with modern food availability and levels of necessary effort, is an order of magnitude more removed from that originally adapted-for plain or beach.

So, the problems most of us face with regard to trends of obesity isn't something that we're really ever going to want to address by changing our environment. Because, well, society as we know it depends on individuals being able to do things besides just running around all day to get enough to eat (and avoid Smilodons). Which means that we could rage uselessly at how difficult it makes it for us to balance our fundamental adaptations/design/drives and our current environment. But it won't help.

Instead, I feel like the best answer is in ourselves. We just need some way to reinforce that in our individual lives - systemically, and broadly across demographics. Some way or means to beat down the stomach suggestions, when it says "I can fit a whole lot more if you want, and you'll enjoy it". And some kind of manner of inspiration to make us use all our muscles to potential, instead of giving in to the instinctive urge to conserve effort.

But, you know, without turning too many of us into freaks afraid of food or flesh. Or consigning vast demographics to dehumanizing affronts.

It's frustrating for me, philosophically, because I know what works for me really doesn't work for most people. So I don't know what could possibly be done to achieve a generally healthier society. I guess, the most I can hope for on this thread is to talk with you guys, to find out what might work for you. Maybe we can find something that's a beginning of a trend we could encourage?

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kids, don't try this at home!

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That's not all I was saying, duchess. And that particular piece you've focused on is mostly about my cynicism regarding human interactions. Do you really need me to explain my logic underlying that particular sentiment again?

Don't you ever get tired of oversimplifying everything until it's meaningless? No, wait - I forgot: you voted for Dubya. Twice.

It is amazing how much you protest this and shrill you get when I point out the obvious with little effort. It is the crux of what you have been saying here all along. Hope that is better.

[eta: to add an airbag or two.]

[ 08. January 2007, 02:41: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
It is amazing how much you protest this and shrill you get when I point out the obvious with little effort. It is the crux of what you have been saying here all along. Hope that is better.

Perhaps you should spend some more effort, because it isn't the crux of what have been saying. It's just what you are fixated on.
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Ahuh, right.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Hello, he was saying "While some may say they prefer fatter chicks, if given the chance, they would choose a skinnier one, unless they are less attractive and can only attract fatter chicks."

Okay. Then just answer me this kindly please.
Do you think the above statement is true or false?

I thought so.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

And you think that one statement is central to my input on this thread, why?
ananke
Shipmate
# 10059

quote:
It's frustrating for me, philosophically, because I know what works for me really doesn't work for most people. So I don't know what could possibly be done to achieve a generally healthier society. I guess, the most I can hope for on this thread is to talk with you guys, to find out what might work for you. Maybe we can find something that's a beginning of a trend we could encourage?

This is my point. People can tell me to exercise all they want, I just wish they'd be holding my hair backwhile I vomit blood after giving myself and ulcer taking anti-inflammatories in an effort to walk more. More being relative - two to three hours of strolling around will cripple me. Literally. Today I'm paying the price for going to a theme park with someone who can't understand that the pace I maintain is the upper limit - my knee is about twice what it should be and my hip shrieks should I do silly things like stand up. Diet control only does so much.

All that aside though, I don't really want to lose weight. I am because my husband worries and I don't particularly want to get bigger as I get old. If I could stay this weight, I would. But I'm going to get more lame as I get older, particularly if I have kids, so I need to do something to make that future easier. TV, clothes shops and random morons on the street aren't the reason, and never will be. What would have helped is sport I could have done as a teenager, not having a tumour, not having large breasts and having doctors take me seriously instead of palming me off until the tumour took out parts of my knee cap, all of the cartiledge and some of the surrounding flesh. The idea that fat people (with fat being a fashion inspired judgement) as unhealthy is that things get missed and ignored. Even though I wasn't a fat teenager, I was bigger than my peers (never having been on a diet and DD by highschool will do that) and looked bigger thanks to crippling self esteem inspired clothing choices. So doctors made decisions based on "she looks fat" rather than, y'know, medical stuff and I ended up with more scar tissue than knee.

That all aside, I'm lucky. I'm healthy enough to do what I want, mobile enough that I can go do aqua-aerobics and smart enough to not give up and go along with the rest of the world in thinking I'm a helpless, useless lardo. It could very easily be much worse.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...It's frustrating for me, philosophically, because I know what works for me really doesn't work for most people. So I don't know what could possibly be done to achieve a generally healthier society. I guess, the most I can hope for on this thread is to talk with you guys, to find out what might work for you. Maybe we can find something that's a beginning of a trend we could encourage?

There's only one thing that works for me as a motivator for losing weight. It may be simplistic, but I have to focus attention on the "feel good" factors of more energy, better sleep, higher sensitivity to stimulus, increased concentration and ambition. Every little bump in awareness needs to be noticed for the benefit it is, otherwise it's all pissing in the wind. There has to be positive personal feedback. Who really gives a damn what others think of your condition? It's YOU that has to be rewarded.

[btw: I was startled by how much Mousethief has shrunk when I saw him at the shipmeet today.]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
And you think that one statement is central to my input on this thread, why?

Because I think it what pissed a lot of people off.
Go ahead and dodge the question. But you and I both know what the answer is.

--------------------

Lori
Shipmate
# 9456

- Posted      Profile for Lori     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am - in orientation - bisexual, so I can appreciate both genders. To (probably mis-)quote a line from an old novel (Women on the Edge of Time - Marge Piercy): some people are fat beautiful, and some people are thin beautiful.

Me, I'm more attracted to fat beautiful. It seems to me so big and real. I had one fat beautiful grandmother and one (very!) thin beautiful grandmother. I am disappointed that I am taking after the thin one. I wish I was big (even if not beautiful) - like my partner.

Posts: 137 | From: Netherlands | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
That all aside, I'm lucky. I'm healthy enough to do what I want, mobile enough that I can go do aqua-aerobics and smart enough to not give up and go along with the rest of the world in thinking I'm a helpless, useless lardo. It could very easily be much worse.

You know, helpless might be one of the pivotal ideas in this damn thread. Because I'm pretty certain we all have different ideas about how helpless any given situation is. Seems like it's mostly the smug bastards who look on overeating as something that people aren't helpless about, and that leads to thinking unkind thoughts. And it's the people who view it as helpless that are at risk of just succumbing to it, or are enablers.

It sort of makes sense, if you follow my backward-seeming reasoning there.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:

Sure, it pissed a lot of people off. Why does that automatically make it my primary idea? Answer my fucking question please, madame one-tiny-thought-at-a-time.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Seems like it's mostly the smug bastards who look on overeating as something that people aren't helpless about, and that leads to thinking unkind thoughts. And it's the people who view it as helpless that are at risk of just succumbing to it, or are enablers.

It sort of makes sense, if you follow my backward-seeming reasoning there.

It does make sense.

Personally I am a lot more calm now that we've established that there is a lot of subjective stuff around the word "obese", and that the only definition of "healthy" isn't "people you can pick up with one arm."

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

No kidding, Kelly. I guess I should have been more cognizant of terminology and clarified that much of what I was arguing was not meant to be viewing people in the same way that fashion magazines do.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Overused]

Gents? This would be a Real Man (can't do the TM thing)

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
No kidding, Kelly. I guess I should have been more cognizant of terminology and clarified that much of what I was arguing was not meant to be viewing people in the same way that fashion magazines do.

I suspect that you have simply never experienced the level of flack you can attract, and at what a low level that flack can start. (Often, as Ananke says, it starts not because you are fat but because you are the wrong shape). So yes, there are plenty of us who are hyper-aware and hyper-sensitive of implied or intended slights.

The story I told earlier about pregnancy, for instance. Perfectly presentable and attractive girls become a bit thick round the middle due to not-yet-obvious pregnancy, and suddenly they find waiting staff treating them with a barely concealed sneer because they order dessert.

I wasn't fat as a girl. I was, unfortunately, a short, sturdy person from a long line of short, sturdy people. No amount of starvation (and believe me, I tried it) will ever make me elfin, or delicate, or apt to attract the sort of man who wants to pick his women up with one hand. I also, like Ananke, developed large breasts at an age when girls are 'supposed' to be leggy and coltish. And, although not at that age overweight at all, I was routinely called fat, not just by fellow schoolchildren, but by PE teachers and other adults who, frankly, should damn well have known better. I vividly remember asking in a certain chain store whether a particular blouse came in a size 14 (I think a US size 12) and the skinny, adult assistant telling me with unconcealed contempt "God, no, we don't carry outsize here, you'd better go somewhere else" and going home in tears. (This was not just bad business - I still avoid that shop to this day - it was an outright lie. 14 is a perfectly normal size and they do carry it. It was, in fact, just deliberate cruelty.)

The point of this sob story isn't to fish for sympathy in Hell ( [Eek!] ), though it is partly to illustrate why illconsidered statements can easily be hurtful to people who've had a bellyful of disdain. But more than that, I think these attitudes are getting worse, and that partly because of the insistent publicity about the 'obesity epidemic', and the government's desperation to be seen as doing something about it with shaming policies like the one described in the OP. The sort of cruelty that happens anyway, as I described, is actually being legitimised.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Earlier in the thread I posted my 9-point-plan! Why does nobody pay attention to me!

It wasn't particularly well thought out, but the underlying theme, by which I stand, was that there is very little that a government or central agency can do to control people's individual choices (and I'm extrememly doubtful that they should even want to, or be allowed to) but what they can do is create an environment that makes it easier, in some cases just possible, for individuals to make healthy choices.

They can't force people to leave their cars at home, but they can make sure that new developments are not planned in such a way that facilities can only be accessed by car, and make sure an efficient public transport system exists. They can't force people to take their kids swimming on Saturday instead of sitting them in front of the playstation, but they can make sure that pleasant, affordable swimming pools exist in most communities, whether by maintaining existing council provision or by offering tax breaks to private companies to move in.

There are all sorts of positive things that could be done, without turning individuals into scapegoats.

Beyond that, it does in the end come down to individual choices. I'm just unconvinced that in the healthiest and more long-living time in history, if a few individuals make choices that may (and it is may, just look at Ken Russell, I bet he hasn't lived a virtuous life) reduce their lifespan from 'extremely long' to just 'long' we need to get all hysterical and punitive about it.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
There's only one thing that works for me as a motivator for losing weight. It may be simplistic, but I have to focus attention on the "feel good" factors of more energy, better sleep, higher sensitivity to stimulus, increased concentration and ambition. Every little bump in awareness needs to be noticed for the benefit it is, otherwise it's all pissing in the wind. There has to be positive personal feedback.

Yup! Maintaining a sensible weight (particularly when you're middled-aged) is difficult because we (westerners) live in a time of plenty, and we're all descended from folks who liked to eat. It's pretty clear why there's a problem here -- plenty of grub and an inherited strong desire to eat it.

So unless people get an obvious and tangible benefit from maintaining reasonable weight, most people aren't going to be able to, whatever facilties for exercise, etc., are provided. Of course, there will always be a few freaks who either (i) don't like to eat or (ii) like to eat but don't gain weight because of some metabolic problem; but for nearly everybody else weight control is bloody hard work, and needs to be rewarded.

The fact that I might live longer is not, for me, much of a motivating factor. Nor, I'm ashamed to admit, is that fact that I might enjoy better health in my dotage. Since I'm 6'5" tall, I have difficulty buying clothes whatever I weigh. None of these things make me want to diet.

When I was younger and single, my motivating factor for being thin was that I got more sex. These days my rewards are more subtle, but they are there all the same. I'm not interested in being thin for thin's sake -- as soon as it stops benefiting me personally, I imagine I'll get fat quickly enough.

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
So unless people get an obvious and tangible benefit from maintaining reasonable weight, most people aren't going to be able to, whatever facilties for exercise, etc., are provided. Of course, there will always be a few freaks who either (i) don't like to eat or (ii) like to eat but don't gain weight because of some metabolic problem; but for nearly everybody else weight control is bloody hard work, and needs to be rewarded.

You are right. I hadn't thought it through properly, but this is one good reason why RooK is wrong to say that the current cultural obsession with extreme thinness has no relevance to individual weight problems.

Most people can't attain a socially desirable body shape, many people at a medically perfectly acceptable weight will still be considered 'fat' by our current weird standards, will still be assumed to be lazy, stupid and greedy and derided for it. And most of us, as you say, are not well motivated by longer term, fairly undefinable, risks over short term reward (otherwise we wouldn't smoke, ride motorbikes or have sex behind the wheel of moving vehicles).

So if you are realistic enough to know you fall into the imperfect category (i.e. nearly everybody) and you are a couple of stone overweight, and not suffering any immediate daily, health disbenefit from it, you have very little motivation to do the hard work and self-denial required to lose those couple of stone. At the end of it you'll still be 'fat', won't get any more sex, and will still be accused of eating the cream cakes you've been denying yourself all these months. So bugger it, might as well just eat them now and get some pleasure out of life.

I honestly believe that the cult of thin does contribute to the so-called epidemic of fat.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Iole Nui:

But more than that, I think these attitudes are getting worse, and that partly because of the insistent publicity about the 'obesity epidemic', and the government's desperation to be seen as doing something about it with shaming policies like the one described in the OP. The sort of cruelty that happens anyway, as I described, is actually being legitimised.

That's it. That's what offends me. It's this belief that we, any of us, have the right to comment on another person's body size.

My first posts on this thread were on behalf of the people who have problems with the BMI scale and about my own struggle to lose weight and keep it off. I was pretty much called a liar by the people who think it's all just a matter of doing a little exercise and leaving out dessert.

As the thread continued I've become equally offfended on behalf of the thin people who have been called heroin addicts, weak, sexually unattractive, shallow and "unreal." Until I was 46 years old I, at 5'6" weighed less than 110 pounds, occasionally dropping as low as 103. This was a combination of genetics, smoking and a passion for ballet. I wasn't out to impress anyone but simply loved to go to dance class as often as I could afford. You wouldn't believe the amount of snide, hateful comments I heard from other women. I was constantly accused of being stuck-up, conceited, vain, shallow, etc, all based on a body type I had inherited from my skinny old father.

I know our movies and magazines perpetuate the idea that thin women are more sexually attractive than the full-figured so I'm willing to excuse a certain amount of bragging by the plump women -- but when they follow their descriptions of themselves as delicious, voluptuous goddesses with snide remarks about their thinner sisters -- they are just as guilty of judging others by appearances as anyone else.

I think the whole debate about who's more desirable and why, is wrong on all sides. It's a number on a scale. It is absolutely nobody's business but the owner of the body and, just possibly, her doctor's business provided the doc has something real, like a high blood sugar lab report, to back up his advice. Otherwise, everybody who doesn't like the width of someone else's backside, should just keep their mouths shut.

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So are you saying it would somehow be wrong to post "Get outa here, you fat bastard" as a response to your post?
Or to use that comment as a regular signature?
Wow - hyper-sensitive or what!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

Oh brill, Twilight. There I was, feeling all full of self-righteous indignation, and now you've got me all guilty for casually using 'thin bitch' earlier in the thread...

It was in context, honest. I didn't mean it.

I know lots of nice thin people.

Some of them don't even diet, it just happens.

You are right, of course. It's all part of an eating disordered culture (a phrase I stole off a shipmate, but can't remember who now to credit them. Telepath, maybe?).

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
quote:

Sure, it pissed a lot of people off. Why does that automatically make it my primary idea? Answer my fucking question please, madame one-tiny-thought-at-a-time.
from previous post:
quote:
Originally posted by Iole Nui:
I'm sorry, but that is not what you said at all. You said:
quote:
Indeed, I suspect that most who proclaim to have high regard for blobular shapes are going to have a pretty high correlation with those who have little hope of attracting anything else.
Indeed I did. And I deserve some wrath for it.
Especially since I think that I still stand by it. What can I say? I'm a craven cynic, with a low opinion of humanity.

[Italics, mine.] There is the answer to your question. Just because I am trying to be short and pithy does not make my thoughts tiny, sir. I do follow what you wrote. And this post to me, pretty much shows you admitted that is truly what you believe and yes, you wrote this idea more than one time, more than one way. Is it behind every post you wrote? Maybe I am wrong. But it seems that way when it comes out again after you are called on it and wrote it more than one time.

Now will you PLEASE answer my question? Thx.

[Your code sucked like Monica.]

[ 08. January 2007, 15:58: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Yes, I said it. I DO have cynical suspicions about personal assertions made by people on the internet. It DOES seem to me that many people think that "blobular shaped" people are desperate and have low standards and some might try to take advantage of that.

AND YOU READ THIS INTO EVERY ONE OF MY POSTS HERE... WHY?

Honestly duchess, snap out of it. Give me all the grief you want for having said it that way. Argue with me all you want, because I do still think the same basic cynical and mean thought. But to assert that this is the "crux" of my interaction here feels like deliberate stupidity on your part, and it's pissing me off.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
That's what offends me. It's this belief that we, any of us, have the right to comment on another person's body size.

Egad, here we are - back where I got lured in to this bottomless pit of my own fear and loathing.

I hate to say it, but as much as I cringe from polite society actually engaging in such rudeness, I think that all of us have the right to make public comment about pretty much everything that is available for public notice. And about most stuff that isn't, too.

Which makes me mutter often-repeated oaths of vengeance against my high-school tormentors, but there you go.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016