homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
On the whole, I loathe the offspring of other people after about 5 minutes in their company. However, I am quite fond of my own, and it takes hours before I wish them gone.

You should find your wee one very nice, even if you don't ever like anyone else's brat.

As always, LATA's robust good sense makes me feel better!

Besides, my neuroses have temporarily been overpowered by the bloody awful maternity deal my work have finally come up with. Grr.

How is everybody else getting on?

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baby seems to be doing well (check-up next week), as s/he's been very active. I, however, have had a frikkin' cold with a plugged up ear for over three weeks. I've steamed my head, consumed copious quantities of homemade chicken soup/broth, and drunk several times my body weight in orange juice with lemon, lime, or sanguinello. Hubby got over his cold in a week, thanks to being able to relieve symptoms with Lemsip. I'm tired of home remedies that don't actually work, and I'm about ready to kill for some actual medication. Currently, being pregnant is pissing me off, because otherwise I could take something and bludgeon this cold to death.

And just for those who are considering it (you know who you are), don't post any helpful remedies ... I've tried them all already. If you want to have a temper tantrum with me, then fine, but keep your "helpful" tips to yourselves. Thank you.

So, how's everybody else?

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn annoying that. *too scared to say anything else* [Biased]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flausa, all Lemsip is is sugar and paracetemol - both of which are safe in pregnancy...

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually chukovsky, Lemsip also contains a decongestant (that Pheynlwhatever stuff), which is why both my official and unofficial health visitors AND my doctor have said I can't have it. But thanks for the "helpful" advice. [Disappointed]
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops! I never take decongestants and I know there's a kind without, but it must be an own brand...

But at least you can have paracetemol...

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well yes is annoying in pregnancy that you can not take drugs to help. I had severe back pain which did not enable me to walk. By experience a 'cocktail' of drugs with walking/swimming would mean I could be at work the next day. I was off work 3 days. Very tempted to take one as I had them...last night one of the pregnant women at work admitted she had taken an unsafe drug as she was desperate, I joked now the baby will be born with three heads which she laughed at. (hope that isnt conscrewed as advise as I really suggest you follow the professionals advice).

Been travelling well just tired. I can not comment on the other peoples children issue as I for about 4 years every times I see a child of any age find myself watching them and if I get a chance chating to them. I actually know this is abnormal but I guess it helped when I fostered children so many years ago.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once you have a cold I'm not convinced anything cures it. Maybe helps you get through it. The only thing I ever found made any difference was hitting it with zinc before it really settled in.

Anyway you'll be better in a day or two Flausa. [Votive]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couple of pints of Guiness should cure it Flausa. Followed by a night of rampant sex.

--------------------

Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stupid stupid coughs. [Mad] [Mad]

[Withholds advice/anecdotes]

Ultrasound on Monday indicated the babe is right back on track with the average growth curve. Earlier on, we were 'ahead' by almost a week, then by a few days. Normally, I'd think 'ahead of the curve' is kinda cool. But not when it comes to say... passing an EXTRA large watermelon through a nostril. [Ultra confused]

Doc is pleased with things. Sugar is under control (like, scarily... Even New Years' didn't put me over! But who am I to argue with the little strips?) Babe is head-down, but doesn't seem to be in any hurry. Which is fine- for the next few weeks. (Though I wouldn't mind leaving work early. [Devil] ) I have official word that once we get past that magic due date (Feb 9) Doc will encourage things along.

We're slowly but surely putting babe's room together. I'm off now in search of a rug. This is fun! We've been married almost 8 years, but lived in rectories- so we've never decorated before. And he's not really allowed to complain about he cost. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
Couple of pints of Guiness should cure it Flausa. Followed by a night of rampant sex.

Now that's some of the best advice I've gotten in months. [Biased]

Took, you're getting close now! Congratulations on the good reports. [Yipee]

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flausa, I can't give any advice, but all my sympathy for the "therapeutic orphan" months. Everyone is so careful now re pregnancy medication, rightly, but it's a miserable time to be sick.

Took: Be glad you're back on the curve. My second had a head two weeks ahead of her body size, and it wasn't amusing delivering it. [Smile]

Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Took, excellent work on your blood sugar levels.

Flausa, lots of sympathy. It sucks feeling crap for such a long time, and it is even crappier when common remedies can't be taken.

Wood's dad had a home remedy for the cold. He would take an onion and cut it in half, then stand it over night in a glass of milk. In the morning he would eat the onion. Apparently it worked every time. However this 'cure' has not been cleared for use by pregnant women from the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (British FDA), so my advice is that you don't try it. [Big Grin]

I hope that you will feel better soon.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm ... eating an onion and a night of rampant sex ... does anyone see how these two "remedies" might be mutually exclusive?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My advice was not to eat the onion, so you should be okay. [Big Grin]

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of medications during pregnancy I am having a large debate with myself. NB this is not advice seeking only sharing issues. I think one thing which will help me is the fact we are going away for a week today to be with my family in Melbourne(but limmited if any access to the net).

For many years I have been on an anti depressent. There is a good reason for this, I have tried so many times to go off it without sucess always falling in a heap, but managing to pick up before things get too bad. Dr have been very suportive of me self monitoring the medication with suport of Sean. When we first considered pregnancy we saw a dr in the UK and basically the jury is still out on if the medication does cause any problems for baby but who is going to feed it to mums not needing it.
We all that time ago decided I should keep taking it if I got pregnant. The problem is that I am now in another very cautious country and I needed to see two separate GPs early in my pregnancy. Both were really pushing me to stop taking the anti depressant and I held my ground to them but came home and told Sean, we decided to try reducing the dose, which I did but I forgot it a few days and whopps I am not drug free. I can feel myself starting to slide a bit but then think if I can hang out a few more weeks I will be doing my baby a favor. suffering from a cronic depression means I know what I can manage and pace myself and so on but really at this point I usually would be going back on them. Sean is supportive whatever I decide and has born most of the brunt of the depression tears and so on.
Think I will decide in the next week without the stress of work or even being home only being around people I love. My gyne is supportine of me doing what I feel I should do and doesn't feel the risk is too much for baby.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

[Votive] prayers for you and your little one and Sean as you work together to make the right decision for your family [Votive]
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((Bronwyn)) for a really tough decision.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

Bronwyn [Votive]
I was told by my doc some ADs are ok (I was on them when I was first preggers).

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(((Bronwyn, Baby, Sean))) [Votive]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

just a quick message from my parents place. Thankyou for all your support. We decided to start the anti D again as We felt it was better for me to take a small dose and survive and enjoy the pregnancy than to have to put up with the depression. I actually feel it was the right decision so started it a few days ago...please God let it work soon. (they take a min of 2 weeks) Also I am now 14 weeks officilly into my second trimester. Morning sickness is abaiting which is making me feel better also.

How is everyone else????

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Continuing to pray for you Bronwyn. Glad to hear you are beginning to feel better after the nausea and hope the other medication begins to help soon as well.

Had a check-up with my health visitor and GP yesterday. They were running behind schedule, so my GP practically pushed me out the door after two minutes, but the HV was much better. Neither was able to give me assistance with the cold (yes, it still be lingering), just keep steaming my head and drinking hot liquids. Pah.

On the up side, I'm doing well otherwise. HV took my weight and I'm actually maintaining ... just a kilo more than when I started (but I fluctuate that much anywhen when not pregnant). She said I will probably be one of those lucky gals with "extra meat on my bones" (such the diplomat she is [Biased] ) who actually loses weight thanks to being pregnant. Whoo hoo! [Yipee] I really was struggling with the thought of gaining even more weight, so this is a grand relief.

Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear it all went well, Flausa.

And Bron- that sounds like a really sane decision, and [Votive] that the meds get to working soon.

I saw Doc #3 this week, the one who is monitering the diabetes. He dismissed me from his care, because as controlled as things are, there's nothing he can really do for me in the *gasp* 3 1/2 weeks I have left. [Ultra confused]

Checking-in with Doc #2 (the OB/Gyn) is now weekly. He doesn't do anything except weight and blood pressure, glance at my blood sugar records, measure my belly, and ask if there are any problems. Which hardly seems worth the 45min-1hour I spend sitting in his waiting room because he's behind schedule.

He did tell me that I'm negative for Strep B - which means I don't have to be on antibiotics during labour. Good- more room for the pain drugs [Biased]

Now if people would just be so kind as to stop eyeing my giant belly and asking me if I'm having twins... [Roll Eyes]

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

quote:
Originally posted by Fool of a Took:
He did tell me that I'm negative for Strep B - which means I don't have to be on antibiotics during labour. Good- more room for the pain drugs [Biased]

Don't you get tested again when in labour? I thought it could show up when in labour but sometimes not beforehand (although I could be wrong).

--------------------

Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

I only knows what I'm told re: Strep testing...

Not that I'm an expert in these things, but my body feels different today and I suspect that the babe has 'dropped' (or engaged, or lightening depending on the book...) Which is due to happen about 2 weeks before delivery. Right on cue.

I read on and asked myself "Increased frequency of urination... how is that even possible?!"

It is. [Help]

We got the carpet, the crib and the rocking chair into babe's room today. If s/he comes early, s/he doesn't have to sleep in a drawer after all [Big Grin]

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

So excited for you Took ... know you've been waiting a looooooooooong time for this.
blackaxe
Shipmate
# 10622

- Posted      Profile for blackaxe   Author's homepage   Email blackaxe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
we have hit wk16 (or are close to wk17 depending on whether you pay attention to the ultrasound date over the obstetrician) and I feel like I look fat rather than pregnant. I have told a few people this week that I am pregnant (not people who really know me or have seen me before - new clients etc - and therefore don't know what I normally look like) who have remarked 'oh, really? right' as if I always look like a bloody lump!!! bring on the real baby bump i say - at least nobody will be guessing about whether I ate too much at Christmas or not... (which I didn't, only put on a kilo between wk 10 and wk 14, which the Doctor was amazed at!)

somehow I am still managing to fit into many of my clothes, although I am pushing the friendship with some of them. and my brother's wedding is this coming Saturday and I have to make some adjustments to a sleek floor length designer dress I have worn before such that I can eke the last bit of room left in the dress. couldn't have pushed it beyond this week though.

as for the project - well i gather s/he is still doing his/her thing. been getting a few weird pains every now and then but I gather that's the quickening beginning. [Eek!]

[ 22. January 2006, 10:19: Message edited by: blackaxe ]

--------------------
I will dwell in the (architect-designed) house of the Lord forever...

Posts: 285 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

Exciting took!!!!!

Blackaxe, I think I get it about the fat rather than pregnant. I actually think exven from very small bump people look pregnant. One of the girls at work tried to tell a patient she had christmas puddings to hide her small pregnant lump but well she looked pregnant.

I don't think I will be out of my own clothes for a while as the fat on my body plus my nausea and vommiting continues.

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I looked fat rather than pregnant till very recently, and even now it's an arguable point. I'm terribly jealous of people with a nice well-defined round bumps and inside-out belly buttons.

Mind you, I can see right down my belly button now, which I've never been able to do in my life before.

Part of the problem, of course, is that I've always been pretty plump, especially around the middle. But people also tell me it depends on your body shape - a sturdily built lass with a larger body cavity carries more of the baby inside so the bump is less obvious. Other people have said I'm carrying the baby 'well back', which means its a boy, or alternatively means its a girl, depending who you talk to. (Midwife visit tomorrow, so at least I'll hopefully be reassured that my poor bump is growing on schedule even if it's not as impressive as some other people's!)

So all a clear as mud, then.

I a bit narked, though, that maternity clothes seem mostly to be designed along the fashionable 'skin-tight and skimpy to show off your bump' line, rather than the far more civilised 'hide inside a tent for several months' look I was hoping for.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rat, I think we must be the same body type - I looked fat rather than pregnant until I was about six months gone. I know what you mean about the skimpy maternity wear; I got by for a long time in trousers a size bigger than usual with elasticated waists and very baggy tops. After that I bought maternity trousers and teamed them with even baggier tops from (oh, the shame of it) Evans.*

Jane R

*Note for non-UK readers; Evans is the leading chain of clothes stores for 'oversize' women...

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Never Conforming

Aspiring to Something
# 4054

- Posted      Profile for Never Conforming   Author's homepage   Email Never Conforming   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
After that I bought maternity trousers and teamed them with even baggier tops from (oh, the shame of it) Evans.*

Jane R

*Note for non-UK readers; Evans is the leading chain of clothes stores for 'oversize' women...

There's nothing wrong with buying your clothes from Evans!

Jo

--------------------
I used to poison Student Minds™ and am proud to have done so
Never Conforming in the Surreal World

Posts: 1419 | From: Oop Norf | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never Conforming said:
quote:
There's nothing wrong with buying your clothes from Evans!

Sorry, didn't mean to cause offence. I have a love-hate relationship with Evans, because I got thrown out once (when not pregnant) for being too thin. The shop assistant informed me (looking down her nose) 'We don't go down to YOUR size'. But I couldn't get anything that fitted properly in so-called 'normal' shops, either (where the shop assistants clearly thought I was too fat, but most were too polite to say so). This left me bitter and twisted, because I rather liked the clothes in Evans. They were certainly better quality than the alternatives.

This was several years ago, BTW, when 'normal' shops like BHS only stocked things up to UK size 16 (18 if you were lucky). Things have improved somewhat since then.

Jane R

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
I a bit narked, though, that maternity clothes seem mostly to be designed along the fashionable 'skin-tight and skimpy to show off your bump' line, rather than the far more civilised 'hide inside a tent for several months' look I was hoping for.

Yes- the overall theme of maternity design here seems to be "Ooh! I've got BREASTS! Everybody see my new boobies!?!"

I've got some really great things from Pennington's (our plus-size shop) and will eventually pass them on to another pregnant friend as official 'maternity wear'... maybe I'll take the tags out first, though. [Biased]

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

I am sure this baby is kicking. Sean says it is wind but no it has come on like that for a couple of weeks. More strongly now. So exciting.

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bronwyn thats just so exciting [Smile] [Smile]

baby baby baby [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

Weds 9pm, Channel 4 has a interesting looking programme about extended breastfeeding (if that's what it's called!!) if anyones interested!

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i saw that... one woman in the advert had much older toddlers feeding off her... yeukky! Im interested to see it... !!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
i saw that... one woman in the advert had much older toddlers feeding off her... yeukky! Im interested to see it... !!

according to the blurb in the Gaurdian, one was 7 and one was 10!

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

TEN TEN TEN TEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!

flip.

I teach 12 year olds. thats wierd!

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bitty!!!

[Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile]

Auntie Doris x

[ 30. January 2006, 22:05: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Posted by blackaxe:
somehow I am still managing to fit into many of my clothes, although I am pushing the friendship with some of them. and my brother's wedding is this coming Saturday and I have to make some adjustments to a sleek floor length designer dress I have worn before such that I can eke the last bit of room left in the dress. couldn't have pushed it beyond this week though.

Mrs K had to fit into a bridesmaids dress right at the begining of third trimester, for her sister's wedding last year. Having the dress measured and made was...challenging [Eek!]

God bless you all expecting this year. Baby K is just the most beautiful little 7 month old girl you could ever imagine, so be encouraged that at the end of this time actually having the little tacker out in the world is so wonderful. [Yipee]

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:

And I'm pretty sure I heard one of them say something like, "I think we should be allowed to breastfeed forever." <shudder> So far, all I can think about it is that if you want your children to have breastmilk for that long, shouldn't there come a time where you start at least putting it in a cup for them?
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

I caN NOT BELIEVE A CHILD WOULD WANT TO FEED THAT LONG. mY MUM FEED MY YOUNGEST CHILD TIL SHE WEENED HERSELF, THAT WAS ABOUT 4.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Browyn, it feels so good to see you posting here, to see our prayers answered. I was just thinking this and needed to say it out loud.

It is such a blessing and encouragement after years of hanging on with faith, you two.

[Tear]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:

And I'm pretty sure I heard one of them say something like, "I think we should be allowed to breastfeed forever." <shudder> So far, all I can think about it is that if you want your children to have breastmilk for that long, shouldn't there come a time where you start at least putting it in a cup for them?
That might be more difficult than you think, going by my adventures into expressing milk. (Can take ages). I do think that breast feeding is a good idea, up to a point. It's really good when baby is latched on properly and doesn't take forever to get full.

This is not quite the case for Matthew. When I started feeding him, it was ok, but he did seem to take a long time to be full. Some feeds were over two hours (which was getting ridiculous). He wasn't gaining enough weight, and he was fractious a lot. In the end (a couple of weeks ago) I'd just about had it, and went and bought some formula. Best decision I've made. We've been bottle feeding and doing a bit of breast since then, and now he's back on track - he gained loads last week. He's much better. So breast isn't always best, it depends on you and baby.

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

I think in this case annie, the woman **is** still easily producing milk etc etc for years and years - so for her expressing would be "an" answer if she wants to feed them breast milk... at that ago tho the reason presumably is more to do with the contact and comfort??

Any blokes think theyd mind if their wives were breastfeeding kids up to 10 years old? not find that a bit wierd?!

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

It strikes me, though this may be more of a Purg thread, that this is something that gets very sensationalised - so, although there may well be problems with a child having no boundaries, or the child's mother and father disagreeing on when is the right time to stop breastfeeding, or the mother wanting to stop but the child having tantrums if she does - and those of course would all be good reasons why continuing breastfeeding might not be a good idea.

However, it's hard to see why it would be intrinsically wrong - it's common in many stable, well-balanced societies for the last child to be breastfed till very, very late (I read that in the nomadic Kalahari desert people 8 years is an average for the last child).

The problem is, breastfeeding itself is so uncommon past a few months of age in Western society that people have come to see it as odd to continue even after a year or so. So the very fact of late breastfeeding is seen as strange, rather than associated family problems (which don't necessarily follow) being the real issue.

Anyway, as I say, perhaps more Purgatorial.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

Just started a thread here in Purg to continue this specific discussion.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:
We've been bottle feeding and doing a bit of breast since then, and now he's back on track - he gained loads last week. He's much better

Glad to hear that he is thriving and that things are more relaxed for you.

bb

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
Part of the problem, of course, is that I've always been pretty plump, especially around the middle. But people also tell me it depends on your body shape - a sturdily built lass with a larger body cavity carries more of the baby inside so the bump is less obvious...(Midwife visit tomorrow, so at least I'll hopefully be reassured that my poor bump is growing on schedule even if it's not as impressive as some other people's!)

Keep meaning to respond to this. As I said before, my health visitor advised that we sturdier girls don't necessarily show as prominently with our bumps. But on the up side, it might mean you end up weighing less after birth. Interesting weight loss program, eh?

How did your midwife visit go?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016