homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going back to the comments about Huckabee and the single sales tax:

Income taxes are set up so that people who are on the edge financially aren't burdened by an additional tax. There's a minimum level below which people don't pay income tax. The rates of tax are then on a sliding scale, so that the people who can afford a bit of slack (i.e. the millionaires) pay a higher rate than people in the "middle class".

Going to a sales tax will do two things: it will force the poorest to pay a significant amount more tax, which will force more "poor" people below the subsistence line (which may not matter much in warm states, but is crucial in cold ones); and, it will relieve the rich of a great deal of tax, since they will not pay sales tax on savings or investments or trust funds.

In other words, the fundy Christian is trying to get the poor to pay more tax and the rich to pay less.

I can see where MadGeo might approve of this, although I will await his opinion, but I cannot see why a practising Christian would want to make the poor poorer to the advantage of the rich.

Or did that strange guy in some forsaken Holy Land not speak about this sort of thing?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

Going to a sales tax will do two things: it will force the poorest to pay a significant amount more tax, which will force more "poor" people below the subsistence line (which may not matter much in warm states, but is crucial in cold ones); and, it will relieve the rich of a great deal of tax, since they will not pay sales tax on savings or investments or trust funds.

I do not know the details of Huckabee's tax plan or the Fairtax. However, it is my understanding that under this plan the "poor" - however that is defined - will receive a rather large check from
the government each year to ease the "burden" on them. So they will not have to pay more overall. As for the rich, they will pay more since they will not get the rebate.

NOTE: I am not necessarily in favor of this plan. I just want to clarify what I understand it does.

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Professor Kirke:
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
In lieu of a Deuce, or a tear, I would like to see McCain or Rudy or Obama stand up and go "Yeah, flying all over the FUCKING country and trying to satisfy people is a tough FUCKING job". Quote Unquote. Or similar.

Then McCain is your man, sir. The man shoots straight from the hip, often to the great offense of others.
Yeah, now if he would only be pro-choice.

More seriously, I could vote for McCain. I really could. I love the he is a maverick. But we may have an even better maverick in Bloomberg. He's so maverick he left the party.

If it boils down to Clinton-McCain, I'm voting for Hillary, if for no other reason than to send a message to the Republican party we didn't like your boy for the last eight years. If it's Clinton-McCain-Bloomberg I am almost certinaly voting for Bloomberg just to send a message to BOTH parties we hate you. [Biased]

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
I do not know the details of Huckabee's tax plan or the Fairtax. However, it is my understanding that under this plan the "poor" - however that is defined - will receive a rather large check from
the government each year to ease the "burden" on them. So they will not have to pay more overall. As for the rich, they will pay more since they will not get the rebate.

Which makes it an ever stupider plan, unless you run one of those check-cashing businesses that charge an arm and a leg to people without bank accounts. And how would the government send checks to homeless people? And why should the poor have to loan their money interest free to the government for the year? OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And it would still mean having to have the whole bureaucracy dedicated to going over your income statement to see whether you qualified, so there would be no reduction in government officials.

IOW, absolutley no reason to think of the idea as a "plan" at all.

Except that it would allow all the self-righteous to identify the "poor" more clearly, and then to be rude about "all them people livin' off the gummint" in a more focussed way.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am against the Huckster's tax plan. His plan will actually fall harder on the middle class (or so I read) than on the target, the rich. I am not necessarily against a flat tax, but I would make it an income tax, not a sales tax/VAT. It also doesn't help my opinion that the tax is included FIRST. So an item that costs $100 now would cost $130 then, not $123. And there is debate as to whether 23% would get it done. It might be 40%.

As much as I despise and spit on taxation, I am leery of pie-in-the-sky revamping as I think us taxpayers would get screwed worse in the end. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

If they created a sales tax/VAT of 23%, I am pretty sure I'd start a small scale smuggling operation out of Mexico. I would also barter services for goods A LOT. [Biased]

I personally would NEVER talk a salesperson into taking cash for a high dollar item such as jewelry in order to avoid the 8.25% sales tax in California. No. That would be illegal. Not me. I would NOT do that....

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...If it's Clinton-McCain-Bloomberg I am almost certinaly voting for Bloomberg just to send a message to BOTH parties we hate you. [Biased]

I'll vote for Ron Paul while I can -- and then, probably, Libertarian.

I will not vote for anyone who has supported the war in Iraq.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Going back to the comments about Huckabee and the single sales tax:

Income taxes are set up so that people who are on the edge financially aren't burdened by an additional tax. There's a minimum level below which people don't pay income tax. The rates of tax are then on a sliding scale, so that the people who can afford a bit of slack (i.e. the millionaires) pay a higher rate than people in the "middle class".

In other words, the fundy Christian is trying to get the poor to pay more tax and the rich to pay less.

I can see where MadGeo might approve of this, although I will await his opinion, but I cannot see why a practising Christian would want to make the poor poorer to the advantage of the rich.

Or did that strange guy in some forsaken Holy Land not speak about this sort of thing?

It would tax the crap out of savings and investments. We've already paid income taxes on the money put into those and Huckabee is wanting to hit it again at 30%.

There's good and bad about this plan, folks below certain income levels would effectively not be taxed, but Huckabee doesn't want to acknowledge there's anything bad about it nor has he acknowledged the enormous transition costs to the economy. Can't say that I blame him, but the plan will never pass, anyway.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I'll vote for Ron Paul while I can

Have you read this New Republic piece?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I'll vote for Ron Paul while I can

I just skimmed through that article and, wow. I voted for Paul back when he ran as a libertarian but started backing away from the party as I noticed more and more conspiracy theorist types flocking in. If you watched the debate tonight, did you notice his being asked about the support he was receiving from 9/11 conspiracists?

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A view from over here, prior to La Clinton's win in NH

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If it's Clinton-McCain-Bloomberg I am almost certinaly voting for Bloomberg just to send a message to BOTH parties we hate you. [Biased]

Here's a good article on his possible candidacy written by someone who knows him.

quote:
A Bloomberg presidential run looked much more doubtful just a few days ago, when everyone, including Clinton herself, thought the charismatic senator from Illinois would run off with the New Hampshire primary. That Obama's tidal wave out of Iowa smacked up against the stone walls of the Granite State means the billionaire mayor's White House hunt is back on track. Yesterday news broke that Bloomberg has been quietly compiling months of polling and voter data to assess his presidential chances. And Doug Schoen, a key adviser and strategist from the mayor's two campaigns, told the Los Angeles Times last weekend, "Bloomberg is going to spend the next two months doing an assessment of his prospects."

Just whom Team Bloomberg has met with about joining the ticket is not known. But Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) and former senator Sam Nunn (D-Ga.) have been mentioned frequently. The vetting is going on because the calendar demands such a bold move.

People around Bloomberg have said that if he were to pull the trigger on an Oval Office run, it would happen sometime around March 5.

ISTM Nunn would be an excellent complement to Bloomberg's appeal to northerners: from what I've seen he's well-regarded by both repubs and dems and is a 'centrist' Democrat.

Hagel's an interesting choice because he's been so antagonistic to W.

I'm with MG: this race has great entertainment potential... I keep thinking about Perot getting 19% of the vote and with someone as comparatively normal as Bloomberg [Biased] this just might be the year a third party could pull it off.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

Clinton and Obama each received 9 delegates from NH.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Thanks for posting the link. Some of it is concerning (race, gays); some of it isn't. (It's a fact that the United States is the only country that fought a war over slavery. Everyone else found a peaceful solution. The federal government did expand its powers greatly, and Lincoln did suspend habeas corpus. And no one seemed to think that secession was not a state's right when it was the New England states threatening to pull out.)

So find me another pro-Constitution candidate who's against the war and will promise to pull out our troops as soon as possible!

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

John D. Ward
Shipmate
# 1378

- Posted      Profile for John D. Ward   Email John D. Ward   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

No, because your link isn't working.
Posts: 208 | From: Swansea, Wales, U.K. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It does for me.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Works for me.

Ross, I wonder what you consider "pro-Constitution," but I'm kind of afraid to ask.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
...Ross, I wonder what you consider "pro-Constitution," but I'm kind of afraid to ask.

Oh, keeping the three branches of government balanced in their powers and separate, declaring wars before you start fighting them, not changing concepts (such as copyright) in midstream to benefit powerful corporations -- that sort of thing.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

piers ploughman
Shipmate
# 13174

- Posted      Profile for piers ploughman   Email piers ploughman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am wondering (cos it's impossible to tell from all the way down here) does Kerry giving the nod to Obama actually help him or not? Apparently Kerry still has an extensive network, but is he perceived generally as a loser whose approval could work against Obama?

--------------------
Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
William Blake.

Posts: 2121 | From: perth wa | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those of you who still contend that what Edwards said about Hilary's sobs was nasty, may I direct your attention to this letter to the editor which appeared in our local paper yesterday:
quote:
The only thing missing from the picture of Hillary Clinton during her victory speech at the New Hampshire primaries was a bottle and a baby rattle.

If pouting and whining is the key to the White House, then maybe I should convince my year-old nephew, drool, dirty diapers and all, to join the race, and give Hillary a real pout and about showdown.

We’ll see if America can then decide who truly has the heart for change.

Now that, my friends, THAT is a nasty comment.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piers ploughman:
I am wondering (cos it's impossible to tell from all the way down here) does Kerry giving the nod to Obama actually help him or not? Apparently Kerry still has an extensive network, but is he perceived generally as a loser whose approval could work against Obama?

Some of us can't tell from up here [Biased] but it reminds me of one of Reagan's better lines: I can't remember which somewhat dubious organization endorsed him which resulted in someone challenging his association with them.

His reply was 'I didn't endorse them; they endorsed me'.

RuthW

# 13

I imagine Kerry's rolodex is the real value there. Though endorsements can also encourage people to open their wallets, and most of the campaigns are scrambling for every dollar they can get.

[ 13. January 2008, 00:27: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

This has got to be one of the dirtiest, low down political tricks I've ever seen.

Please look at this article

The article says "Obama can’t hide his Muslim past". At the end is this:

"At the very least, and however unfairly, this is dynamite material for Republicans as new national opinion polls show Obama cutting Hillary Clinton's lead to single digits."

Do you get that? Obama is running against Hillary right now, but it's dynamite material for . . . those mean ol' republicans!

Maybe someone else might recall articles in early 1979 talking about "Ted Kennedy can't hide the 1967 Oldsmobile with Mary Jo Kopechne's body in it", and how it's dynamite material for the Republicans as Kennedy campaigns against Jimmy Carter for the Democrat party nomination. I don't.

Pound sand, Hillary.

[ 13. January 2008, 04:48: Message edited by: Mere Nick ]

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't it rather offensive to Muslim Americans that posssible muslim connections in Obama's past are being touted as a 'smear campaign' and something he should want to hide?

Are there not enough of them that they doon't make up enough of a voting block for people to worry about?

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by Manda:
Isn't it rather offensive to Muslim Americans that posssible muslim connections in Obama's past are being touted as a 'smear campaign' and something he should want to hide?

I can with absolute assurance it's offensive to some Christian Americans. I note that article was originally posted last April and only recently dredged up: sounds like a pathetic attempt at getting a broken record to play.

And I'll make another prediction: we're going to hear 'It's the economy, stupid' again before this race is over. [Biased]

quote:
While the Federal Reserve indicates that it will move to spur growth and President Bush and Congress consider stimulus packages, economic worry has already forced the presidential candidates to retool their messages. Republican Rudolph W. Giuliani proposed a new tax-cut package yesterday as rival Mike Huckabee prepared to take his populist message to economically distressed Michigan with a major address today. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), who did best among New Hampshire voters worried about the economy, plans to unveil today what her campaign calls a "plan to jump-start America's ailing economy."

moron
Shipmate
# 206

'I can say' but I can't write... [Hot and Hormonal]
RuthW

# 13

quote:

Are there not enough of them that they doon't make up enough of a voting block for people to worry about?

They are maybe 1 or 2 per cent of the population -- no one really knows, as the Census Bureau doesn't survey religious affiliation -- so yes, they can be insulted with political impunity in most plarts of the US.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
they can be insulted with political impunity in most plarts of the US.

Though probably not in Detroit, some parts of New York City, and (apparently), Paterson New Jersey. A city I suspect that is not a Republican electoral target

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
This has got to be one of the dirtiest, low down political tricks I've ever seen.

The article says "Obama can’t hide his Muslim past".

Their way, perhaps of insuring Hilary is the candidate, knowing her negatives are higher and willful ignorance abounds in the American electorate.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Don't know why anyone would recycle this, since it's been circulating for ages and was effectively rebutted over a year ago: Debunked Insight Magazine and Fox News Smear Campaign

What I want to know is... did anyone hear the Republican candidates' bizarre statements on Fox (I think - heard clips on CBC Radio)? Huckabee saying that an Iranian pilot firing on an American plane would "see the gates of Hell"... then Thompson follows up with a crack about the 70 virgins... when Ron Paul tried to inject some sanity, Romney followed up with "You've been reading Ahamadinejad's press releases". WTF? Are they serious? Are they just playing to the Faux News crowd? Does Mike Huckabee really think he knows who's going to Hell? OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

If rumors of Obama's muslim past were supposed to help Republicans, it probably wouldn't be brought up until the Thursday before the Tuesday.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ron Paul has enough weird racist statements in his own past not to need to get caught up in that sort of shit-throwing.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
... when Ron Paul tried to inject some sanity...

You are joking, right?

[ 14. January 2008, 19:47: Message edited by: New Yorker ]

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
quote:

You are joking, right?
In comparison to the other clowns, yes. Shocking, I know. You had to hear it to believe it. OliviaG
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

quote:
quote:
quote:

You are joking, right?
In comparison to the other clowns, yes. Shocking, I know. You had to hear it to believe it. OliviaG
I thought so. Mr. Paul really does need to get help. He's nutty.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The people behind the smear campaign are likely trying to play on 9/11 fears...i.e., Muslim = terrorist.

If Muslims pipe up and say, "most of us aren't terrorists!", they're apt to be disbelieved--at best. And since Islam is reportedly the fastest growing faith group in the US, and there are so many (perceived) differences between Islamic and US cultures...there are many ripples of disturbance, I think, even among people who *want* to love their neighbor.

It's a mess. American elections can be pretty weird. Add in the last 2 presidential "elections" and the fallout, 2 wars and rumors of a 3rd (God help us all [Votive] ), problems in the economy, de facto class war, lots of free-floating anxiety and paranoia, stir gently...and you've got something very volatile.

Anyone else want the next train out of Dodge? [Paranoid]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
<snipperoo>
Anyone else want the next train out of Dodge? [Paranoid]

At this rate I'll be heading to Dodge, for the peace and tranquility.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

I'm not sure exactly why because ISTM what both Clintons said was fairly innocuous but this has turned into quite the brouhaha - yesterday it was leading the hourly news on the radio.

quote:
Clinton and her husband spent the weekend defending things they said in the hard-fought New Hampshire campaign. Sen. Clinton said her remarks about the role of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and President Lyndon Johnson in passing civil rights legislation were in response to Obama comparing himself to King and President John F. Kennedy and in no way meant to diminish King's historic role. Former President Clinton said his "fairy tale" comment referred to the Obama campaign's assertion that the two candidates had different records on the Iraq war in the U.S. Senate.
Some kind of revolt against the not inconsiderable influence the Clintons have?
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a tempest in a teapot, 206. Both Clinton and Obama are downplaying the media dust up.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Y'know, it's not like there isn't enough about Republicans they could be talking about... I think that what Democrats want most of all is an energized Democratic Party and a viable candidate, and we have two. There was a lot of excitement coming out of Iowa and New Hampshire, and the current bullshit is just sucking the life out of it.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Dear Mr. Hackabee:

That LINE you just stepped over had a sign beside it that said "Batshit Crazy".

Your election is officially revoked, please let the nice men in slip this white jacket over you. That's it.

Sincerely,

MG

quote:
"[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards," Huckabee said, referring to the need for a constitutional human life amendment and an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
"[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards," Huckabee said, referring to the need for a constitutional human life amendment and an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

Yeah, well, maybe Mike has dug himself a hole. Who was it that suggested he had a chance? [Hot and Hormonal]

But South Carolina hasn't weighed in yet... [Razz]

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's just the primaries. That's to motivate the base. You won't hear such stark terminology in the general election campaign.

Whatever his chances, scarily enough Huckabee has quite a good chance of getting the Republican nomination.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mary the M
Shipmate
# 13167

- Posted      Profile for Mary the M   Email Mary the M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
Whatever his chances, scarily enough Huckabee has quite a good chance of getting the Republican nomination.

Hopefully, in that case, enough people will have the good sense to vote Democrat, whoever ends up being their nominee.

--------------------
"God is greater than religion... Faith is greater than doctrine." - Rabbi Heschel

Posts: 173 | From: Lost Angels, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The problem is, there are many people who agree with Huckabee.

[Eek!]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
The problem is, there are many people who agree with Huckabee.

[Eek!]

After a few beers........

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

No, stone-cold sober. Folks who think we were originally a Christian country, under God's hand, and we got away from that...basically, they want a theocracy.

--------------------

piers ploughman
Shipmate
# 13174

- Posted      Profile for piers ploughman   Email piers ploughman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could someone please explain to a confused Aussie to whom US politics look Byzantine what happened to the Democrats in Michigan. I understand that 'due to a dispute between the Michigan Democrats and the national party' no delegates will be awarded but that Clinton won. What does it all mean [Confused]

--------------------
Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
William Blake.

Posts: 2121 | From: perth wa | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Quercus
Shipmate
# 12761

- Posted      Profile for Quercus   Email Quercus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

Clinton and Obama each received 9 delegates from NH.
This is one of the nuances which is absent from UK reporting. All we get is variants on 'Hilary is teh win!!!111oneoneone' - even from Today, which should do better - rather than that,eg, the pledged delegate count is 24-25 in Barack Obama's favour, but that Hilary has a huge lead in estimated superdelegates. [courtesy of Wikipedia]

--------------------
"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

Death thought about it. CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.

Posts: 321 | From: Up on a hill | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piers ploughman:
Could someone please explain to a confused Aussie to whom US politics look Byzantine what happened to the Democrats in Michigan. I understand that 'due to a dispute between the Michigan Democrats and the national party' no delegates will be awarded but that Clinton won. What does it all mean [Confused]

As I understand it (as another outsider), Michigan is not one of the states allowed by the Democrats' rules to have its primary before Feb 5th, but they've gone ahead and had it then so it doesn't count.

Carys

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016