homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Videos & Pictures (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Videos & Pictures
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Funny you should post the link to that, LQ. I had just viewed said Easter Eucharist at the cathedral earlier this afternoon. Pretty nice MOTR-high I thought.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
The Procession and Choral Eucharist of Easter Day 2008 can be viewed on the website of the Cathedral Church of St James in Toronto.

[Cool]

Thanks, LQ! Since I can't be Armchair Quarterback right now, I naturally thought Armchair Verger would be a suitable alternative.

Besides, I need something to occupy me until Ascension introduces the world to Rite II done right!

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our Archbishop exercising his famous "media friendly" talents, discussing the pallium.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
The Procession and Choral Eucharist of Easter Day 2008 can be viewed on the website of the Cathedral Church of St James in Toronto.

Are those accents normal for Toronto (bishop and dean)?

Also, I noticed two bits of ceremony I've never encountered in Anglicanism:
- the sign of the cross at 'grace and heavenly benediction'
- the Minor Elevation morphing into a major elevation, complete with bells

And is the omission of the final "s" in the pronunciation of Jesus--heard particularly at the beginning of the eucharistic prayer but not later--a common thing in Canada? I've heard it in the audio downloads from St. Thomas, Toronto, as well.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Our Archbishop exercising his famous "media friendly" talents, discussing the pallium.

Thanks. Now, if only we could get him to hang his iPhone from the balcony railing of every church he visits, recording the Mass and later uploading the videos. [Razz]
highchurc
Shipmate
# 11491

- Posted      Profile for highchurc   Email highchurc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Rite II done right!

How's that for an oxymoron?
Posts: 234 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

Are those accents normal for Toronto (bishop and dean)?

Also, I noticed two bits of ceremony I've never encountered in Anglicanism:
- the sign of the cross at 'grace and heavenly benediction'
- the Minor Elevation morphing into a major elevation, complete with bells

And is the omission of the final "s" in the pronunciation of Jesus--heard particularly at the beginning of the eucharistic prayer but not later--a common thing in Canada? I've heard it in the audio downloads from St. Thomas, Toronto, as well.

1. No, the Dean is Barbadian and studied in England. As for the bishop, I suspect he's just speaking a prestige dialect intentionally.

2. That sign of the cross is pretty standard, even in some high-MOTR parishes like my old one.

3. I think the BCP is just inconsistent with where it reads "Jesu" and "Jesus."

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is the organist's act of personal hygiene immediately prior to the Alleluia in the Canadian rubrics or is it a local custom? [Razz]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
1. No, the Dean is Barbadian and studied in England. As for the bishop, I suspect he's just speaking a prestige dialect intentionally.

It surprised me. I am quite familiar with Chicawgo twang ( [Hot and Hormonal] ), but I never suspected such a difference between here and there.

quote:
2. That sign of the cross is pretty standard, even in some high-MOTR parishes like my old one.
I've never seen it in a TEC place. (That doesn't mean it never happens, though! My experience is limited.)

quote:
3. I think the BCP is just inconsistent with where it reads "Jesu" and "Jesus."
Good ol' Anglicans, they be!

quote:
Cyprian:
Is the organist's act of personal hygiene immediately prior to the Alleluia in the Canadian rubrics or is it a local custom?

It does answer that age-old question, "What does the organist do while the choir chants Victimae paschali laudes?" Only they didn't.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had heard that the St Michael's Youth Conference is the US was spikier, but this confirms it.

Things that I noticed (some of which may be rubrical or textual differences):

*Obviously I think the vestments are fantastic.

*The saying of the opening acclamation, rather than singing.

*I was expecting a Rite II Mass when I heard "all hearts are open" (and not "be open") but then the trad language kicked back in.

*The translation of the Kyrie into English. I've never heard the Gloria of that setting before.

*The altar appears to be freestanding, but is censed as if it were not.

*"Creator and preserver of all things" is omitted from the Preface.

*The celebrant sounds a bit Shatneresque in the Canon.

*The deacon and subdeacon kneeling at the Institution Narrative is something I have never seen in my life.

*The sign of the cross that Martin has never seen is at 7:48 of video 4.

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post 
LQ: Do you not know this setting, written by that most famous of Canadian composers, Healey Willan? It is the Missa Sancta Magdalena, written in honor of his parish church in Toronto. It is one of the few settings available for Rite I use, assuming that the camp was using the 1982 Hymnal. My old TEC parish (Rite I) sings it every week.
Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

Of course I've heard the setting. It's relatively common for traditional language Masses that are congregationally sung. But the Gloria and Creed are invariably Merbecke or de Angelis.

Oh, another thing:

*the lack of response to the Summary of the Law

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
*I was expecting a Rite II Mass when I heard "all hearts are open" (and not "be open") but then the trad language kicked back in.

That is the way it appears in Rite I (old language) of the BCP79. See here.

quote:
*The translation of the Kyrie into English. I've never heard the Gloria of that setting before.
I seem to only encounter the old Scottish chant Gloria in Rite I masses. Never once have I encountered Merbecke, or this Gloria from Sancta Maria Magdalena, in a church setting. I've played through it before, so I know it, but I've never heard it in church. The Kyrie (in English), Sanctus, and Agnus Dei from SMM seem to be quite common.

quote:
*The sign of the cross that Martin has never seen is at 7:48 of video 4.
Thanks.

ETA: There is no "incline our hearts" response to the Summary of the Law in BCP79 Rite I. The Kyrie is the response. When the Decalogue is read (so, never) there is a response to each commandment.

[ 07. August 2009, 22:54: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Never once have I encountered Merbecke, or this Gloria from Sancta Maria Magdalena, in a church setting. I've played through it before, so I know it, but I've never heard it in church. The Kyrie (in English), Sanctus, and Agnus Dei from SMM seem to be quite common.

Interesting, because the Willan SMM is the standard congregational Gloria chez Ascension in choral Masses. Your visit (visits?) must have been on the rare occasion(s) when the choir sings the full Mass setting including Gloria and Credo. Now that I think of it, this is probably what went on.

I understand from our parish history that the switch from full choral Masses to congregational Gloria and Creed resulted in the abrupt departure of the organist/choirmaster of the time. I think his editions of the Roman Gradual propers are what our schola still uses.

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

[tangent] I've always wondered where SMM's minor propers come from. Now that they're looking for a new rector I know, thanks to the publication of the Parish Profile, that they are from something called "the Wantage adaptation."
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
[tangent] I've always wondered where SMM's minor propers come from. Now that they're looking for a new rector I know, thanks to the publication of the Parish Profile, that they are from something called "the Wantage adaptation."

Which is presumably the text that is used in The Plainchant Gradual, published by the sisters at Wantage, and which graces my bookshelf, and is the same text that is used in the minor propers section of The English Hymnal.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

LQ: Willan is a standard setting for Rite I parishes, and was one of the settings in the 1940 Hymnal for use with the 1928 Prayer Book. Yes, that awful Merbecke is sometimes sung, along with the equally awful Scottish thing, but Willan (IMHO)is much to be preferred. Is the Willan SMM a setting available in the Canadian hymnal?

The priest who posted the St. Michael's videos is rector of St. John's Episcopal Church in Detroit, which is, I believe, a 1928 Prayer Book parish by special arrangement with the Bishop of Michigan.

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

1928 BCP and Anglican Missal, I think.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

Yes, when they're in English, but I think they've sung them in Latin more recently. During a visit to SMM, I was granted an audience with the head cantor after Mass, and he showed me the copies of the Wantage Plainchant Graduals they were using at the time. This sent me on an eventually successful quest for my own copy, and thanks to eBay, I've got one.

Don't know what they use for Latin...I'm assuming the current Solesmes editions. (Or maybe I'm bonkers about their singing Latin propers, but I thought I had read that.)

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

Graduale Romanum when no English is available, according to the profile.
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

LQ: According to its website, St. John's Detroit is a 1928 PB and 1940 Hymnal parish. No mention of the Anglican Missal, a true rara avis in the Episcopal Church. You aren't that far away in Toronto; you might perform a cross-border incursion one Sunday and give us a Mystery Worshipper report.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
Your visit (visits?) must have been on the rare occasion(s) when the choir sings the full Mass setting including Gloria and Credo.

Yes indeed. Unless all the trappings of pontificalia are pulled out, Martin stays local. [Razz]

[That being said, if the good folks at Ascension were to pull out a Richard Proulx congregational setting, I could perhaps be convinced to visit. [Big Grin] ]

[ 08. August 2009, 20:53: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

quote:
Originally posted by LA Dave:
LQ: According to its website, St. John's Detroit is a 1928 PB and 1940 Hymnal parish. No mention of the Anglican Missal, a true rara avis in the Episcopal Church. You aren't that far away in Toronto; you might perform a cross-border incursion one Sunday and give us a Mystery Worshipper report.

Yes, but the service leaflets show that the minor propers are in use, and they must have come from somewhere (other than 1928). I just don't recall which missal is that somewhere, but it's there.
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fulton Sheen on what's my line!

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That must be the only time he appeared on television not wearing his rochet, mozzetta, zucchetto and ferraiolo.

And note that only Dorothy Kilgallen kissed his ring.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe he was a special friend of Dorothy's.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This video just showed up on "FailBlog".

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Maybe he was a special friend of Dorothy's.

No, as a good Catholic girl she knew how to treat a bishop.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As the actress said to the bishop....

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

"Never mind the cross. Let's talk about the pectorals."

(Miss Amanda will get her wrap.)

But before she does . . . for those too young to remember . . . Dorothy Killgallen was a journalist. It is said that she was murdered because she "knew too much" about the assassination of John F. Kennedy and was about to tell all.

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

[Killing me]

That was fun!

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

That's splendid!

I'm not sure this is technically a video but it's on Youtube so it'll have to do.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is the beautiful hymn, Crypian?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
What is the beautiful hymn, Crypian?

It's a composition of the Archbishop of Volokolamsk, who is also an author of a number of books under the name Hilarion Alfeyev.

An English translation:

quote:
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos! Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour of our souls. (sung three times)
That's the translation we use at my parish. It's my parish that features in the compilation. I'm the fat reader.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It tells you if you click the 'more info' bit on the right hand side of the page. You can even get it from the website link given

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about a nice christmas carol [Yipee]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8DVVVA57-0

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seven minutes, if you stick it out to the end you may find it surprisingly familiar - those pesky Quakers get everywhere ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Gosh. Thank you for sharing that, Doublethink.

I honestly had no idea that these were the origins of the hymn, and that when I was singing "forgive our foolish ways", it was a reference to much that I held dear. I'm not sure how I feel about the likening of such holy things to a hallucinogenic ritual drink of pre-Christian religion. Still, all things are fulfilled in Christ.

I wonder what the author would think to know his words are now often used right there among processions, and candles, and chanting, and incense. [Two face]

--------------------

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:

I'm not sure this is technically a video but it's on Youtube so it'll have to do. [/QB]

Cyprian, I really enjoyed the Youtube video ! [Angel]
I love the icon of St Werburgh; do you know from whence it came ?

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, spinning in his grave probably - Quakers of his period were quite puritan - none the less, the hymn deriving from it is beautiful. Shame that, despite his sincerity, the person singing in the video has 'intonation issues'.

[Crosspost replyimg to Cyprian.]

[ 18. August 2009, 19:10: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:

I'm not sure this is technically a video but it's on Youtube so it'll have to do.

Cyprian, I really enjoyed the Youtube video ! [Angel]
I love the icon of St Werburgh; do you know from whence it came ?

Glad you enjoyed it! That particular image is an old scan I took did of an icon card that I used to have. The original icon used to hang in the chapel of St Werburgh in Congleton, which was a satellite chapel of my parish, but which closed in 2007. I haven't seen it since. I know that some of the things from the chapel went into storage and some went to the Sourozh diocese's mission in Tunbridge Wells, so I'm not sure where it is. I hope it goes up in our new church. Mind you, we do have another icon of St Werburgh that was painted by my parish priest so it's possible that we did give the one you saw away. I can try to find out. The icon cards can be got from Fr Andrew Bond.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Oh, spinning in his grave probably - Quakers of his period were quite puritan - none the less, the hymn deriving from it is beautiful. Shame that, despite his sincerity, the person singing in the video has 'intonation issues'.

[Big Grin] You're a very kind person, Doublethink.

Yes, it is a lovely hymn. When I was at college, I went on a group retreat to a retreat house in Cumbria. We were divided into groups and each given a portion of the service to look after. I ended up in the group of four who took care of the music. It so happened, that the college choir had just been practising Parry's setting and one of my fellow choristers had brought her music with her, so we did it a capella, in four parts. Concrete-walled chapels with ceramic tile floors certainly have their benefits. [Smile]

[Code fix - DT Eccles Host]

[ 18. August 2009, 19:57: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is yummy!

As is this

Max.

--------------------

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Max's videos demonstrate everything that is wrong with the liturgy in too many of our parishes. Who knew that someting like the theme from Rhoda could be used for the gospel procession? And why the fuck is that priest or deacon waving around the gospel book?

Fucking hell, indeed! Too bad I don't have the money to hire some ruffians to smash their guitars and drums so that they can never defile the liturgy again.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

That's very insulting.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Franco, if you want to rant, take it to hell. Now please.

Doublethink
Eccles Host

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
That's very insulting.

Yes it is - I have just watched the two videos and, though they are not to my taste, I cannot say that they are 'wrong'.

If liturgical correctness is down to what 'I' personally like, and if all newcomers have got to fit in with what 'I' like or else leave, then let the church continue to decline and will the last old fogey turn the lights off when he has finished.

--------------------

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has this been posted yet? One wonders how Pete Burns of Dead or Alive would feel about this. Does the drummer have a head wound?
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Franco-American:
Max's videos demonstrate everything that is wrong with the liturgy in too many of our parishes. ... And why the fuck is that priest or deacon waving around the gospel book?

I only watched the first bit of the first (and that with the sound off) and I wouldn't say it demonstrates 'everything' but it does demonstrate much. Franco-American's question does seem a reasonable one, though. Why was he waving it around?

Also, where is the altar?

And WHY do floppy chasuble wearers insist on getting albs that are too short?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
Originally posted by Franco-American:
Max's videos demonstrate everything that is wrong with the liturgy in too many of our parishes. ... And why the fuck is that priest or deacon waving around the gospel book?

I only watched the first bit of the first (and that with the sound off) and I wouldn't say it demonstrates 'everything' but it does demonstrate much. Franco-American's question does seem a reasonable one, though. Why was he waving it around?

Also, where is the altar?

And WHY do floppy chasuble wearers insist on getting albs that are too short?

Thurible

I'd run in horror, but if those people are engaged in this worship and it brings them to Christ, who am I to say it's not appropriate?
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I imagine the showing of the gospel is similar in concept to the idea of a priest or bishop kissing the book before reading from it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016