homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2011 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2011 Celebrity Death Pool
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stan Barstow has died. I should have though of him for my list, he's from "round here". A very influential novelist.

RIP.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*thought!

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:
Stan Barstow has died. I should have though of him for my list, he's from "round here". A very influential novelist.

RIP.

His novel, 'A Kind of Loving' was certainly very influential to my teenage self - it weaned me off science fiction and onto 'working-class boy made good' novels.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bubba Smith, Moses Hightower in the Police Academy movies and Superbowl winner has died at 66.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Honeyboy Edwards, the last of the original generation of Delta bluesmen, and a great player. It really is then end of an era. [Votive]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cliff Robertson has died. Can't quite figure if he was 88 or 86.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
David Croft has died, aged 89.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
David Croft has died, aged 89.

Dads Army, Hi-de-hi, Allo Allo, Are you being served, It ain't half hot mum. That is an awesome list of productions - to have been involved in a couple of these are would be special, but to have been involved in writing all of them is something very special.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anwar al-Awlaki was killed today, giving somebody 60 points, but not me, because I took him off my list this year. I'm batting a thousand.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bert Jansch at 67, and Graham Dilley out for 52.

A sad day.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. 13 on my list, The Earl of Harewood died on July 11th, 2011.

I claim 12 points

[Yipee]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Number ten on my list Clifford Olson died September 30.

I claim 29 points!

My running total of 41 points is a lifetime high!

[Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve Jobs has clicked File - Exit for the last time. [Votive]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Tear]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Light User
Apprentice
# 14254

- Posted      Profile for Light User   Email Light User   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Archbishop Philip Hannam has died at the age of 98. He gave a homily at the funeral of John F Kennedy and delivered a graveside eulogy before the burial of JFK's brother Robert. He was one of my picks.

--------------------
Vita brevis, ars longa

Posts: 49 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So that's...ummm...2 points for you? Woo hoo!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Cryptkeeper is out of pocket, for how long I don't know. I'll see if I can pull the page and put it up on my own webspace for updating. In the meantime keep track of your own scores.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Queen Mousie
Shipmate
# 9925

- Posted      Profile for Queen Mousie   Email Queen Mousie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gadhafi has been killed

QM

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 167 | From: On a clear day you can see L.A. L.A. Land | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Evil Scary Dictator™ bites the dust - must have been something to do with my forgetting to put him on my list ...

[Disappointed]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
So that's...ummm...2 points for you? Woo hoo!

that's 2 more than quite a lot of other people have. (well, me anyway, haven't really looked at who else might still be on a duck)

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Another Evil Scary Dictator™ bites the dust - must have been something to do with my forgetting to put him on my list ...

It looks like nobody did, astonishingly enough.

Several other Evil Dictators on many people's lists. And a number of you have Moammar's old friend, Bomber Boy, on yours. (I took him off this year, so he'll probably kack it. Mind you, I'm not doing badly this year so far.)

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad some people have two points! Apparently I have given the kiss of life. Again.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anybody had Edmundo Ros on their list it would have been a bit pointless.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Our Cryptkeeper is out of pocket, for how long I don't know. I'll see if I can pull the page and put it up on my own webspace for updating. In the meantime keep track of your own scores.

Were you able to retrieve it?

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Our esteemed host, Imaginary Friend, has agreed to act as scorekeeper. I'd sorted out the updates (yes, Pete, all your points!), but not the hosting issue. So we should have a more current page soon. [Yipee]

In the meantime please keep basso in your prayers.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jimmy Saville now has to clunk clip for his final trip.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wooo - points for me.

And it is sad - he was a real character.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

He was. Jim'll Fix It was part of my childhood and I think he was quite instrumental in developping the concept of DJing and helping to bring music into people's lives. And don't forget his charity work. All in all he spent his life changing other peoples' lives.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, here it is, (a week late, for which I apologize): your updated death pool scorecard.

If you can see any mistakes, please don't hesitate to PM me and I'll correct them.

Thanks.

iF

Edited to add: I've also put this link in the OP so that it can be found easily in the future. [Smile]

[ 29. October 2011, 16:28: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown] first time in 3 years I left Amy Winehouse off

Come on, Mugabe!

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it a good thing you have 0 points, or a bad thing? [Paranoid]

[ 29. October 2011, 18:35: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Does it matter? This is only a game: it's not as if it's as important as life or death ...

[ 29. October 2011, 21:09: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Does it matter? This is only a game: it's not as if it's as important as life or death ...
That's deep man.....really deep.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Jimmy Savile has put me into sixth place (and pushed my score over 100) for the first time.

May he rest in peace.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DAMN. Another one I'd had on my list every single year (missed the deadline last December). I blame myself. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

jedijudy

# 333

[Votive] Matty Alou [Tear]

He was a Pirate in the years when Pittsburgh had a good team.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
He was a Pirate in the years when Pittsburgh had a good team.

Now that is what I call a long memory!

Matty also had fame for playing with his two brothers (Felipe and Jesus) to form the All-Alou outfield for the SF Giants back in 1963. As far as I know that still remains the only time that three brothers played in the same outfield in the major leagues.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Andy Rooney has died at the age of 92. I was sad when he retired, but thought he'd at least be back periodically. May he rest in peace.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In honor of which, the good folks at UnvirtuousAbbey have posted the following on FB this morning:
quote:
For curmudgeonly old guys who write with an old-fashioned typewriter and complain about this or that every week, we give thanks, O God.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure whether to feel strangely cheered that I have successfully ensured the prolonged lives of my lot....

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really curious about what he finds annoying in Heaven...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably that he is left in holy silence. [Snigger]

RIP [Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joe Frazier has taken his last blow.

Glad he and Ali made their peace recently: they were bitter rivals (and great boxers) in the ring and no friends outside it for a long time.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

Bill Keane has gone to a larger family circus.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basil D'Oliveira has died, aged 80.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Maggie Daley, wife of the mayor of Chicago, died today at the age of 68. She had been fighting cancer for almost a decade. Say what you like about the mayors Daley, but Maggie was a beautiful, classy woman who kept pretty much out of the limelight and worked behind the scenes for children's education and the arts. So that's my first points for this year, I think.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone have Anne McCaffery? Her final dragon flight was 21 November.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Maggie Daley, wife of the mayor of Chicago, died today at the age of 68. She had been fighting cancer for almost a decade. Say what you like about the mayors Daley, but Maggie was a beautiful, classy woman who kept pretty much out of the limelight and worked behind the scenes for children's education and the arts. So that's my first points for this year, I think.

Sorry: should say "wife of the former mayor." That's what having a dynasty will do for you.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anne McCaffrey. a personal hero.

[Tear]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Anyone have Anne McCaffery? Her final dragon flight was 21 November.

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Anne McCaffrey. a personal hero.

[Tear]

Only found out when Dad spotted it in today's Times obituary pages. [Waterworks]
Time to re-read Restoree, and then some of the Dragon... tales methinks.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016