homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread (Page 45)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  71  72  73 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am not on Twitter nor really understand it. But here are two reports of the same tweet by Obama. What does it prove? Who knows. If true, then Obama is claiming that he killed Bin Laden.

Meanwhile, seniors in eight states are facing the worst Medicare cuts due to Obamacare.

[ 17. September 2012, 16:20: Message edited by: New Yorker ]

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
I am not on Twitter nor really understand it. But here are two reports of the same tweet by Obama. What does it prove? Who knows. If true, then Obama is claiming that he killed Bin Laden.

Meanwhile, seniors in eight states are facing the worst Medicare cuts due to Obamacare.

Wait a sec! All Obama did was sign the Affordable Care Act into law. It's not like he's personally disbursing (or not disbursing) funds or administering (or not administering) health care. Clearly, as a parallel to the bin-Laden killing, any Medicare cuts are the responsibility of state comptrollers and local doctors. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is from the last presidential election run-up - but I thought you might enjoy it.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice to see both parties of a mind about something for a change. Whoever wins the election should have fun addressing the fallout from this. What a lot of money for the Federal Reserve to give to foreign institutions at 0% interest. Very much in the spirit of international cooperation.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

These are, of course, the precise same cuts that figure prominently in the Ryan budget.

They also aren't cuts to seniors but to insurance companies and to hospitals. Politfact rates this claim
mostly false

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, c'mon, cliffdweller -- you're not going to let your posts be dictated by fact-checkers, are you?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

New Yorker, you can't actually be this gullible, surely.

Before It's News also ran a story claiming that bin Laden died in ToraBora in December of 2001.

newsmilitary.com has a story about subdermal implants which enable Muslims to speak directly to God.

Both links run exactly the same story, whose source, apparently, is Pat Dollard. Perhaps your computer is newer than mine, but what appears on my screen for each link is a headline, a brief narrative description which fleshes out that headline slightly, and two blanks where the alleged original tweet and Dollard's alleged response would normally appear.

There's nothing there.

And you take this as supporting evidence for your viewpoint? How much did you pay for that bridge you now own which connects Manhattan to Brooklyn?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...t here are two reports of the same tweet by Obama. What does it prove? Who knows. If true, then Obama is claiming that he killed Bin Laden.

Actually that's only one report - newsmilitary.com is an automated news aggregator, your second link is in fact a link to the first one, at beforeitsnews.com. But that page is itself is a link to patdollard.com - a rather weird site run by a right-wing film-maker who also has a "talk radio blog" called "The Jihadi Killer Hour".

The article is a moan about a tweet that Obama is meant to have sent on the annivesaary of the attack on bin Laden. (Or rather his campaign staff, I strongly doubt that the President actually types them in himself) The burden of the complaint seems to be that Obama didn't thank the Navy personnel in the tweet. Lots of other new-sites mention the tweet, it seems to have become quite notorious at the time - but it doesn't say what Dollard's site said it said - in fact it says almost nothng just "a year ago today" and a link to a photograph of the Situation Room. Google for Situation Room tweet bin laden may 2012 and you will see loads of linsk to it. Most of them drivelling right-wing morons who think it must have been faked because Obama, as a black man, is obviously too stupid to have been allowed to make the decisions on the day, so he was off palying golf while his white communist handlers made the decisions. Or his Muslim jihadist handlers - you can choose your lunatic conservative theory. There seems to be a whole raft of Situation Room Photoshop theories from the folks who brought you the faked moon landing.

Talking of which, thanks for linking us to beforeitsnews.com! It is much more fun! (If you can avoid all the links to malware and spam) It looks like the place old conspiracy theories go to die. Its full of rehashed Y2K survivalist stories, Cunning Plans to beat the stock market, stuff about colloidal silver and free energy and they even have articles by David Icke. [Yipee] Its just like the old days when the Internet was young!

Its top news items a few minutes ago were:

• * Woman Gives Birth To Horse
    * Topless Photographs Of Kate Middleton Published By French...
    * Volcanoes Erupting All Over The World
    * Armada Of British Naval Power Massing In The Gulf As Israel...
    * WW3 Will Happen Before The End Of This Year - Tim...
    * Electromagnetic Event: Magnetic Pole Shift Could Be In Progress
    * Iran Responds To Massive U.S. Armada Gathering In The...
    * All American Must See This! Breaking Reality ~ 2013
    * Gerald Celente Is On Fire: Watch His Most Powerful Analysi

[ 17. September 2012, 20:22: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was crossposted with porridge.

I just realised that I spent nearly an hour looking at that site and links off it.

Why did I waste an hour of my life lookjing at taht conspiracy shit? Well, not really wasted because its kind of cute in a way. (David Icke...)

But it does show one thing. Either the post both me & Porridge were replying too is some sort of deliberate attempt to pushe a few rather well-known conspiracy theories about President Obama, or, what I guess is much more likely, somene just spent a few moments googling for some key words that seemed relevant to the point they were trying to make and then pasted the links here without really readiing them, without trying to evaluate whether they made sense or not, without thinking much about where they came from and what biases or interests they might have.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mother Jones has video of Romney speaking at a closed door event for donors. He has a rather low opinion of a large slice of the American populace:

quote:
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if he even knows any of those people? All he knows is the calumny heaped upon them by Ayn Rand.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just saw a news report on this.

I've been underwhelmed with our current president (though not because I think he skimped on thanking the Seals for taking out bin Laden [Roll Eyes] ), but I have to say there's no way this side of hell I can vote for Romney.

I also love the "We're not going to tell you which loopholes until after the election" gambit. These guys must really think we're all idiots. "Trust us: this car had only one previous owner, an 80-year-old Sunday School teacher from Pasadena . . ."

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Mother Jones has video of Romney speaking at a closed door event for donors. He has a rather low opinion of a large slice of the American populace:

The American electorate can forgive a lot, but they usually don't forgive candidates who show them open contempt. I was reminded of an anecdote involving Democratic presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson, who was told by a supporter "All thinking people are for you!" Stevenson's response, "That's not enough. I need a majority." did much to harm his ultimately unsuccessful candidacy.

--------------------

Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

quote:
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect.

After seeing that I'd vote for a moldy ham & cheese sandwich before I voted for Mitt.
Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pretty rich from someone who won't release his tax returns ...
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Here's an article with a map showing the percentage of non-income-tax-paying households by state. The top ten states for non-income-tax-paying households is highlighted in red and seems to be the southernmost tier of American states. Mitt Romney wasn't counting on winning the Deep South, was he?

--------------------

Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Here's an article with a map showing the percentage of non-income-tax-paying households by state. The top ten states for non-income-tax-paying households is highlighted in red and seems to be the southernmost tier of American states. Mitt Romney wasn't counting on winning the Deep South, was he?

Fortunately for him, a lot of whites in the South are trained to hear "black people" when a Republican starts harping on welfare recipients. They chatter about the no-good "welfare queens" on the other side of the tracks while standing in line for their disability checks and food credits.

The Fox News message machine will make sure that most of the dupes never figure out that Mittens is calling THEM lazy.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Mockingale:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

Fortunately for him, a lot of whites in the South are trained to hear "black people" when a Republican starts harping on welfare recipients. They chatter about the no-good "welfare queens" on the other side of the tracks while standing in line for their disability checks and food credits.

The Fox News message machine will make sure that most of the dupes never figure out that Mittens is calling THEM lazy.

True enough. If advocating a more regressive tax structure was going to hurt Republicans in the South, it would have done so way before now.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see Romney has stuck his foot in his mouth again. A video has come out in which he called 47% of Americans lazy, and this evening he doubled down when called on it.

That self-absorbed sociopath will never work in his entire life as much as a grunt worker earning too little to pay income tax works in one day. And how many people are down below that point because THAT ASSHOLE destroyed the companies they worked for and shipped their jobs to China?

I truly do not understand how somebody can vote for this guy.

<walks away shaking head>

--------------------

Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found Ezra Klein's analysis of Mr Romney's 'lazy' comment helpful:

"Among the Americans who paid no federal income taxes in 2011, 61 percent paid payroll taxes — which means they have jobs and, when you account for both sides of the payroll tax, they paid 15.3 percent of their income in taxes, which is higher than the 13.9 percent that Romney paid. Another 22 percent were elderly."

Even more interesting were the observations that "Republicans have passed a series of very large tax cuts that wiped out the income-tax liability for many Americans". So, admittedly from a long way away, this looks like the series of events:

1986, 2001, 2003: Republican Presidents stop many Americans from paying federal income tax
2012: Republican Presidential candidate accuses Americans who don't pay federal income tax of being 'dependent' even though 61% of them have jobs and pay a higher percentage of their income in tax than the GOP Presidential candidate.

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Excellent link, thanks Alwyn.

From the article:

So notice what happened here: Republicans have become outraged over the predictable effect of tax cuts they passed and are using that outrage as the justification for an agenda that further cuts taxes on the rich and pays for it by cutting social services for the non-rich.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

An illustrated guide to the people Mitt Romney believes don’t pay enough taxes.

One group that inexplicably got left off the list of "moochers" is combat-deployed soldiers.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Another perspective on how the rich feel themselves above the rabble. From the American Conservative no less. Long but rewards reading.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On a more local note, Massachusetts Incumbent Senator Scott Brown (R) is falling behind Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren in polls. This is something of an interesting race because Scott Brown is one of the few moderate republicans left in congress.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

See the whole fundraiser speech video here. Unbelievable.
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Another perspective on how the rich feel themselves above the rabble. From the American Conservative no less. Long but rewards reading.

Very interesting, Mousethief. Just browsing briefly there, it's amazing how little they seem to like the GOP in general, or Romney in particular. Is it possible that there is now a whole journal for people who have a definite conservative side, at least on certain issues; but who get that the more loudly an American trumpets ownership of the word nowadays, the less likely he or she is actually to deserve it?

[ 18. September 2012, 21:44: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
On a more local note, Massachusetts Incumbent Senator Scott Brown (R) is falling behind Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren in polls. This is something of an interesting race because Scott Brown is one of the few moderate republicans left in congress.

I don't think a conservative Republican could have been elected in Massachusetts. At any rate, he got as far as he did largely because Martha Coakley was arrogant and felt herself too good to campaign.
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He is sticking to his line that half the country are servile, handout dependent wretches. It's an interesting strategy.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Probably the only one, since he's been caught so blatantly and publicly, there's no chance of denying it and being believed, and he has a notorious history of waffling already. At this point he can either give up the campaign or attempt, for once, to grow a backbone. Pity it has to be in such a way!

The man is Doomed.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alt Wally:
He is sticking to his line that half the country are servile, handout dependent wretches. It's an interesting strategy.

He's lied so many times before, about so many things. What's one more lie?

--------------------

hilaryg
Shipmate
# 11690

- Posted      Profile for hilaryg   Email hilaryg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It is, and he might just, really just, get away with it. Because it's been pointed out by various talking heads that many people who are in the 47% don't think Romney is talking about them, it's those other undeserving folk over there who are taking advantage of the rest of us. So they aren't offended at all. They think he's right.

I was technically incoherent for a while at the sheer audacity of a rich man (who has paid a very low rate of tax, entirely legally) complaining about other (poorer) people paying less tax, entirely legally!

I am memorising the breakdown of the 47% for the next conversation I have with conservative people I know - facts can be so inconvenient for them [Devil]

Posts: 261 | From: back home in England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I seem to remember talking a couple of years ago (maybe on the Ship?) about some statistic that demonstrates a ridiculously large percentage of the population think of themselves as 'average' or 'middle class'.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Googling "Mitt Romney Imploding" bring up some entertaining and actually serious results.

This is starting to look like when Sarah Palin went off-script in the latter days of the McCain Campaign.

*sniff* *sniff* There is a definite air of mortification coming from the Romney campaign.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The man is Doomed.
It won't be the unwashed masses he rather disdainfully wrote off that does him in though. He (and the Republicans) have already lost the demographic battle with the growth of minorities in this country. Somehow, they'll have to re-invent themselves in the future.

His "let them eat cake" moment is telling, but really what do you think that room full of people in Boca would say if they spoke their minds?

The shelf life of this whole thing will probably be 24-48 hours.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by hilaryg:

I was technically incoherent for a while at the sheer audacity of a rich man (who has paid a very low rate of tax, entirely legally) complaining about other (poorer) people paying less tax, entirely legally!

Actually, a lot of them are paying a higher rate than he is, because they're paying payroll taxes at 15.3%, while he just pays the capital gains rate (which came out to 13.9% on the one tax return we've seen), and doesn't have the payroll tax since he doesn't get a salary.

But that's what conservatism is all about--top dogs staying on top because they can, and believing it's because they're actually better than the proles.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
His "let them eat cake" moment is telling, but really what do you think that room full of people in Boca would say if they spoke their minds?

Yep. Every couple of days (or more frequently) I see a headline along the lines of, "Is This Curtains for Mittens?" It grows old. No, it's not over until after the election.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having had two days to digest the notorious Boca Raton video, I've decided that the thing that upset me most about Romney's 47% is that it includes members of the US armed forces who are risking their lives around the world. [Mad] You can probably all guess I'm no military sentimentalist, but this insult makes me angry to the point of tears.
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose he has to defend the remarks, regardless of the effect on the floating voters. No way he can use the "I let my hair down and goofed" defence. The goof is too revealing about what he is like when he lets his hair down.

The polls are still pretty close. What may be more damaging than the remarks themselves, rather like the Palin effect, is the impression that Mitt doesn't have "a safe pair of mitts". If you're a floating voter, you might take the view that Obama has been a disappointment in office, but "does the guy really look as though he'd be any better?". Or at least some might be influenced that way. It won't take too much to tip this election one way or another.

This is how you play to the floating voter, isn't it? It's right of course, but that's not the point. Obama has been given a helpful card to play with the undecided. It'll make a difference.

[ 19. September 2012, 08:03: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I seem to remember talking a couple of years ago (maybe on the Ship?) about some statistic that demonstrates a ridiculously large percentage of the population think of themselves as 'average' or 'middle class'.

Possibly about the time that John Prescott was doing a TV programme about that very subject. The last few seconds of this are - well, just class!
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well according to Republicans you aren't "rich" unless you make well about 250,000 a year, and you aren't poor if you have running water and electricity...

You do the math and figure out who they think are middle class...or who are really poor...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well as it now appears this election is all but over (sigh) some of us can look forward to 2016.
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Slate has posted a flowchart to help you determine whether Romney wants your vote. FYI.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
Well as it now appears this election is all but over (sigh) some of us can look forward to 2016.

My tagline is getting old, but things keep happening to vindicate it. [Roll Eyes]

What if the GOP doesn't get into the White House this year? Big deal. They'll pretend to do some soul searching, but in reality can afford to just soldier on, confident in the knowledge that in the Citizens United decision and the voter-photo-ID craze they have two inexorable steam rollers to clean up down-ticket. The plum will fall into their lap eventually, and until that time they will at least keep the President powerless to pass any important legislation.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed,one wonders if they ever really wanted the Presidency this time around-- or last. Based on the primaries, they don't seem highly motivated to put forth a viable alternative to Obama. One can't help but wonder if they were (in '08) and are all-too-aware of how much dirty work is involved in cleaning up W's mess, and all to happy to have Obama taking the hit (while, as noted above, working to ensure he can't claim any big wins). By '16 the events that led up to this mess (already beginning to fade from memory) will be ancient history.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
The man is Doomed.
It won't be the unwashed masses he rather disdainfully wrote off that does him in though. He (and the Republicans) have already lost the demographic battle with the growth of minorities in this country. Somehow, they'll have to re-invent themselves in the future.

I think the
thing has legs.

[ 19. September 2012, 16:54: Message edited by: art dunce ]

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
I think the
thing has legs.

Right. The Obama campaign has spent millions of dollars to create the image of Romney as a rich guy who only cares about rich guys. Now, Romney himself is caught expounding exactly that view. He's toast.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Perhaps Romney's biggest error-- at least in cold political calculations-- is in misunderstanding the diversity of Americans who are well-off. In terms of amoral electoral math, he might be able to get by with pissing off/ dismissing 47% of the population if he is able to win the other 53%. But that assumes that the entirety of that 53% (those who pay some income taxes) share his Machiavellian "let-them-eat-cake" attitude. I think (hope) there are more than enough of us in that 53% who are appalled at his attitude to swing the vote away from Romney.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Perhaps Romney's biggest error-- at least in cold political calculations-- is in misunderstanding the diversity of Americans who are well-off. In terms of amoral electoral math, he might be able to get by with pissing off/ dismissing 47% of the population if he is able to win the other 53%. But that assumes that the entirety of that 53% (those who pay some income taxes) share his Machiavellian "let-them-eat-cake" attitude. I think (hope) there are more than enough of us in that 53% who are appalled at his attitude to swing the vote away from Romney.

The problem with this analysis is that it assumes he actually won't win any of the votes of the 47%, when he most assuredly will.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

The problem with this analysis is that it assumes he actually won't win any of the votes of the 47%, when he most assuredly will.
agh. True. [brick wall]

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
The Obama campaign has spent millions of dollars to create the image of Romney as a rich guy who only cares about rich guys. Now, Romney himself is caught expounding exactly that view. He's toast.

Actually, Romney has shown himself to be the infinite shape-shifter. We can't be sure that he believes what he's telling a small group of plutocrats whose asses he is kissing for contributions, any more than we can be sure of what he is telling us great unwashed. But the effect will be pretty much the same, and rightly.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  71  72  73 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016