homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I'm now using the Hairy Dieters much more. Which is definitely NOT for vegetarians!

You can also use the Hairy Dieters' cooking methods for vegetarian food.
We eat vegetarian quite a lot - because we like it, and because meat and fish have become so expensive - and I have adjusted quite a lot of recipes to be less calorific, and specifically to be lower in saturated fats.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The recipies here for pheasant breasts sounded good. So I thought I might try one. I went to the street market outside my office today and they were selling four for seven quid. But a whole bird was four quid. So I guess it'll be a roast again on Sunday.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had some left-over roast chicken in the fridge and decided I'd try to replicate a dish my mum used to make that she called "chicken in cheese and sherry sauce". I didn't have any sherry, so I used port instead, but it was still really quite good:

2 oz butter
1½ oz flour
Dried mustard to taste (I used about ½ tsp)
¾ pint milk
Salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
6 oz grated Cheddar cheese
A tablespoon or two of sherry or port (or to taste!)

Another ½ oz butter plus a little oil
1 medium onion, chopped
About 2-3 oz button mushrooms, sliced
About 1-2 cups of chopped, cooked chicken

4 oz macaroni

Melt the 2 oz butter in a heavy saucepan, blend in the flour and dry mustard and add the milk gradually over a low-ish heat to make a white sauce. Leave to cook on a low heat then season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir in half the cheese until it melts, then stir in the sherry or port.

Set the macaroni to cook in lots of salted water with a drop of olive oil for about 9 minutes. Preheat the grill to High.

Meanwhile, heat the rest of the butter with a little oil in a frying pan, cook the onion until it begins to soften then add the mushrooms, season and cook until they begin to colour. Add the chicken and heat through.

Drain the macaroni and add it to the cheese sauce, followed by the chicken and mushroom mixture, then tip the whole lot into a greased oven-proof dish. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top and bubble under the grill.

Alternatively you could make it ahead and re-heat in a 350°C oven for about 20-30 minutes.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For Sandemaniac, as promised.

This is originally a North African recipe. It lends itself to adaptation. The quantities given here are based on 1 person, so you'll need to adjust quantities. I've had this for a while and don't remember where I got the original, sorry. I seem to remember it called for a demi-glace instead of stock, but if you can get a rich stock together it should do nicely.

I left out the celery and dried cranberries, but it was still pretty good.

Meat and quince stew

For marinade
3 juniper berries
1 large garlic clove
1 cup dry red wine

1/2 lb diced lamb, beef or venison

For the rest
1 onion
1 large clove of garlic
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of saffron
1/2 cup demi-glace/stock/equivalent
1 Tbs redcurrant jelly
1 large quince
(Optional: 1 stick celery, 1 oz dried cranberries, and lemon zest if wanted)

Make the marinade. Crush juniper berries, mince or chop garlic very finely. Mix together in a bowl with the wine. Stir meat cubes into marinade. Leave covered and chilled for any period from 1 hr to overnight. Then drain meat and reserve marinade.

Chop onion and mince other garlic clove. Heat a little oil in a pan and cook onions with garlic, cinnamon and saffron, stirring occasionally until onions are soft. Then using slotted spoon transfer onion mixture to a bowl.

Season meat with salt and pepper. Then brown it in the pot you just cooked the onions in. Return onion mixture and add the reserved marinade, stock and redcurrant jelly. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally for about 45 mins.

While this is simmering, peel the quince and chop the flesh into small pieces. (The original recipe suggests you also prepare lemon zest and chop a stick or so of celery at this point.) Then add quince (and zest if using) to to meat mixture and continue to simmer covered for about 45 mins until quince is tender. (If using celery, add it with dried cranberries now.) Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.

The original recipe suggested serving this with couscous, but rice is just as good.

[ 27. November 2012, 19:56: Message edited by: Ariel ]

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mmm, sounds interesting Ariel.
Any suggestions for what you might adapt in the place of quince, as I don't think I've seen any of those around (though a) I probably wouldn't notice, and b) I haven't looked anyway)?

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Any suggestions for what you might adapt in the place of quince, as I don't think I've seen any of those around (though a) I probably wouldn't notice, and b) I haven't looked anyway)?

It's been a bad year for quinces and they're not that easy to get these days unless you have access to a tree or a farmers' market that sells that kind of thing when in season. They look like a cross between a pear and a large yellow cooking apple: quince pic. They're also scented. You won't be able to reproduce the taste exactly, obviously, but you might try a russet apple or a firm sharpish one, or a slightly unripe pear and some lemon zest. It should be a fruit that keeps its shape and doesn’t dissolve into mush on cooking.

Quinces are notoriously (rock) hard and can take a while to peel so if going with these probably best to get the peeling and cutting done first. Once cooked they absorb the flavours of the casserole in a very nice way.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Might not work where you live, but the Turkish shops near where I live often sell quinces.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you can't get quinces, the nearest thing is the fruit of chaenomeles, sometimes just called "Japonica", the Japanese quince, which is commonly grown in gardens for its decorative flowers. Your neighbours may have one - and if they do they almost certainly throw the fruits away.

Iranian cooking is almost obsessed with quinces. If you have any Iranian neighbours, ask them if they have a source of supply.

I love quinces - Mrs. B makes quince paste which is really tangy and flavoursome. None on the tree this year though.

[ 28. November 2012, 16:25: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Department of Things Which Turn Out Better Than Expected.

Roast some red peppers.

Gently stew some shallots with butter.

Put on a pan of water for pasta.

Start frying up some chopped bacon or lardons in another pan.

Add some white wine or dry vermouth to the pan with shallots. Tip in some prawns and some creme fraiche.

Add the sliced roasted peppers to the pan with the now-crisped bacon.

Assemble the dish with the cooked linguine, surrounded with the bacon and peppers and topped with the prawn and sauce.

It's a very beguiling mix of creamy/ salty/ stodgy/ crispy.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds heavenly, Firenze! I'm going to copy and add to my recipe file to try soon.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question that's so basic I'm almost embarrassed to post it here. I'm hosting the extended family the day after Christmas and want to make a ham. I've always avoided them* for health reasons but it seems a good thing to make for a crowd (15-20 people). So, ham-lovers. What kind of ham should I buy (American brand recommendations are welcome), what should I do with the thing, etc. And is there any chance I can cook it in a crock-pot?

Many thanks for your collective wisdom.

*hams, not the family

[ 11. December 2012, 04:49: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know about Chicago, but here in SoCal grocery stores always have holiday specials on bone-in, spiral cut hams at about $2 a pound with a purchase of $20 or $30 on the rest of the groceries. About 12 pounds should easily feed twenty guests. You can personalize it in the reheating with a glaze like that in this recipe for maple dijon glazed ham.

Lazy Lyda, your holiday advisor

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't help you with buying, but there's a round up of Christmas ham recipes here . It includes a mention of baking the meat and there's some good suggestions for glazes in the comments section.

I really want to try to the ginger ham using ginger ale. It sounds lovely.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The original idea for this Christmas was goose - but apparently you have to order about July. Plus it would have cost about £50. There are a lot of things I would rather spend that amount on.

So we have indented for a large duck instead. I can confit the legs for cassoulet at another time, and just do the crown.

The default is orange sauce, though if I can get the Polish cherry jam, that's also a possibility. I'm in the market though for any other good duck ideas.

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know if this appeals:

[ 14. December 2012, 19:52: Message edited by: FooloftheShip ]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Would you consider plum sauce?
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
Don't know if this appeals:

That's got potential. If I'm only doing the breast, the cooking time is quite long (though it would work for the rest of the bird). Plus the Chief Point of duck is the crispy skin, so I would want a bit of grilling/roasting in there.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A good rich mushroom sauce using porcinis or some well flavoured ones you pick yourself. It's much better than the restaurant-default of orange sauce, usually much too sweet. Add a dash of dry Madeira to the mushrooms.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

By a happy circumstance, we bought a half-bottle of Madeira today. I'll look into that, since I like mushrooms.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
By a happy circumstance, we bought a half-bottle of Madeira today. I'll look into that, since I like mushrooms.

That's a great sauce with veal or pork loin too. Careful how you cook the loin: it's all too easy to get shoe leather, and even the best sauce won't conceal your mistake.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The best way to cook a loin of either pork or veal is to use a dry marinade for a couple of days (see Beck, Bertholle and Child under pork - good marinade for either) and then to cook in an oven bag. Put a chopped onion and a diced carrot in as well, and perhaps a couple of leeks trimmed and then split lengthways. If you follow the instructions, you'll get a good moist and tender piece of meat, with some well-flavoured juices to add to your sauce.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Sounds like a variant of my Infallible Roast Chicken. The first hour is in a loose but sealed foil tent, along with the aromatics of choice, followed by 30 minutes unwrapped on high heat with regular basting. If I have to actually carve the bird as opposed to just having it fall obligingly into pieces, I've failed.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

The same principle, but meat will brown through the clear oven bag, without the need to split it open. Pork or veal cooked in the oven bag and left to cool in it makes very good cold meat (a great start for a vitello tonnato for example) for a lunch party. Just reduce the cooking time slightly, to allow for the continued cooking that goes on in the bag after the meat is taken from the oven.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

But does it give the crisp? I view cooking processes by whether they are wet or dry. I like the microwave because it does quick wet very well which is excellent for many vegetables. But I wouldn't use it for slow wet - aka stewing/casseroling - because I think you need time to develop and meld the flavours. Roasting in an enclosing membrane is another version of slow wet, but needs a fast dry to give the Unami of seared fat (which is so much the point of a roast).
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

It's a real roast, not a pot-roast. In your terms, that makes it dry cooking, rather than wet.The surface of the meat will end up brown, as if roasted in the ordinary fashion. Can't remember how chicken crisped as it's years since we cooked one in the bag. We are not pork crackling eaters, so we cut it off. If guests may like it, we cook it outside the bag . It's also good for a turkey fillet or buffe, which can be dry. The bag's no good for duck, as there's so much fat.

[ 16. December 2012, 05:34: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Not eat crackling? Heavens. It can be a bit tough, but I've found that putting it under a hot grill for a very short time (as in check it every 5 seconds) makes it puffy and light.

Whatever sauce I do with the duck, I'll probably use my carpet bombing approach to the actual cooking - debone the bird and spread it out like a mat on the wire mesh. That I find maximises the fat run off/ crisped skin area.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That should get the fat away from the bird and still leave plenty for sauteed potatoes over the next few days (get extra statin tablets). We just don't like crackling - I know many do, but it just has never appealed to us.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've just finished our first helping of Ariels' meat and quince dish, and can safely say that it is delicious!

Thank you very much!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thank you for letting me know - very glad it worked for you and that you enjoyed it! [Big Grin]
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

(Bump)

I'm thinking about making an Epiphany/Twelfth Night cake/Gateau des Rois or something. Any suggestions?

The internet suggests quite a variety, from almond frangipane to puff pastry with a chocolate filling, so it's hard to figure out what is, and isn't traditional - especially when it isn't traditional in this country. Suggestions are welcome.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

New thread started for the new year

Cheers

Ariel
Heaven Host

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016