homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Down here the more usual name is besan. Have you asked for that in case assistants don't know other names?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I want to make Onion bhaji's, I have a recipe but it needs Gram Flour (chickpea flour) which i don't seem to be able to find.

Not in Asian grocers? Or health food shops? I notice from this search that Dove Farm seems to sell though that kind of outlet.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just discovered that you don't need a recipe to make a fantastic risotto. Yesterday, using this combination of rice, spelt and barley,string beans, courgettes, onion and garlic, with thyme, rosemary and chives, I concocted a suprisingly tasty dish. The rice mixture really gives a boost to the flavour. Using veggie stock cubes. Not that I'm vegetarian, but might as well go the whole hog. [Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shucks - forgot the lemon juice. No Parmeson as I was out of it, and it's absence really didn't seem to matter. [Razz]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tonight had another attempt at a crossover and lazy Indian Quesadilla - rather good. We'll try it out on a passing Canadian early in the new year.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I would have thought of parsnips, rather than turnips, with haggis ...

Heretick! [Big Grin]

Haggis should be served with clapshot - potatoes and turnips/swedes* (tatties and neeps) cooked separately, then drained and mashed together with butter and a generous grind of pepper.

I sometimes put out a bowl of Branston's pickle as an accompanying condiment - it sounds daft, but it actually goes rather nicely with haggis.

Parsnips, indeed! [Eek!]

* The big ones with the thick purply-brown skin and pale orange flesh - what you call them depends on which end of the country you come from.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear me, an heretick with a k. Really bad stuff.

The ones you describe as turnips, we would call swedes. Turnips are generally smaller and have skins purple near the stem, but otherwise white. They are generally much milder. The normal service here is mashed parsnips with haggis. At the Cadet dining in night a couple of years ago, we were served a stack of a round of potato, topped with parsnip and then the haggis. Delicious, and called out for glass of good pinot, but because some of the cadets were underage, it was a dry dinner.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From a thread in AS, heres a link to Triple ginger cake.

Seriously ginger. Very yummy. I wasn't too particular when I made it about counting pieces of ginger to chop. Probably chopped a couple of tablespoons.

This is a very good, very dark cake.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Copied it to my recipe file. Sounds particularly YUM for when the temperatures come down.

Oooo! With hot, spiced cider!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone here have a really good recipe for homebaked hard dog biscuits?

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DP and I have an annual tradition of a household Chicken Wing Cook-Off some Sunday during football season. Last night I made something called Rockin' Raspberry Wings, that turned out well and actually tasted better today (usually not the case with chicken): Combine in a saucepan 1 1/2 cups raspberry jam, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup cider or balsamic vinegar, 4 minced garlic cloves and red pepper flakes to taste. (I think sriracha sauce or sweet chili sauce to taste would be a fine substitution.) Bring mixture to boil; boil one minute, then remove from heat; pour half over about 3 lbs chicken wings and reserved the other half of sauce. Marinade chicken in the fridge for four hours or more. Preheat oven to 375 F; line a cookie sheet or other flat pan with tinfoil and grease generously.Remove chicken from marinade dish with a slotted spoon and place on pan. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once. Meanwhile, put the reserved sauce back on the stove and reheat until boiling; turn down to simmer and let it cook, stirring often, until it's become thicker. About halfway through the chicken cooking process, brush wings with reheated raspberry sauce. Bake for about 20 minutes more, turning and basting once.

Really good. I was a bit hesitant to use raspberry jam just because it sounded so odd (I was trying to use ingredients we have on hand), but it turned out very tasty...nice color too.

You might also want to tinker with the proportions of sauce ingredients depending on taste.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Upstairs I asked what to do with suet, which had never shown up in my local supermarket before or since. It's been sitting in my freezer, and I think I've finally resolved to use it to make suet dumplings.

I've only seen recipes for suet dumpling involving beef stew, but I have this family pack of chicken thighs. Would I be a gauche American if I made suet dumplings in chicken stew instead?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Would I be a gauche American if I made suet dumplings in chicken stew
That would be perfectly fine
My preferred way with dumplings is as my mother served them: Generously studded with sultanas, steamed over a pan pf boiling water and served drizzled (or doused [Biased] ) in golden syrup.

Haven't dared eat that for donkey's years, but the memory... [Razz]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could also make your own mincemeat using suet and brandy for mince pies at Christmas.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks! We have chicken and dumplings here America way, but due to my proficiency in roasting beef and making pork pies I've gotten this reputation for making English food. I just wanted to be sure I was delivering what my crew was expecting [Big Grin]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Simple but versatile sauce - good with fish and steak.

Couple of tbsps of (half fat) creme fraiche, tsp of Djion mustard, good chunk of crumbled Stilton. Melt together over a low heat.

Oh, and Portugal. Just back from two weeks, and hardly a duff meal (and that was in a touristy place). What impressed me particularly was the quality of ordinary items in really ordinary places: eg, a bar in a little village on the Douro - ordered a vegetarian salad roll, took a little time to come - but no wonder. The roll was freshly baked, the egg freshly cooked, the salad delicious. Or an 'Irish' pub in a downmarket bit of Lisbon - sandwich with the freshest of bread, peanut butter and a salad with these wonderful tomatoes that taste of tomato. I love a country that's still in touch with its home produce, and respects its ingredients.

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This past weekend we had an interesting salad at a field-to-table farm in northern Michigan. (A barn onsite has been repurposed into a casual dining room and winery/cidery tasting room...very cool.) The salad was composed of roasted cubed butternut squash (tender but not overly soft, with I think a hint of shallot in the roasting pan), toasted walnuts, dried cranberries and a cider vinaigrette. I didn't love the salad I got -- it was served cold, which I didn't expect, and the vinaigrette wasn't tart enough to offset the sweetness of the squash and berries -- but I'm thinking it would be nice warmed, with a little more zing in the dressing. I'm also thinking it would be interesting to change up the flavors with, say, sage and some sort of creamy/zesty cheese. Anyone else ever have a winter squash salad?
Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pumpkin (butternut or other orange squash style) roasted in small chunks goes well with pine nuts,(or roasted almonds or other nuts) baby spinach leaves or rocket, feta cheese or parmesan, and an slightly sweet and acidic dressing, maybe balsamic, or honey and lemon juice. I'd normally serve it room temperature, rather than straight out of the fridge.
I've also had a really nice pumpkin and couscous salad with chickpeas and moroccan spices, served with yoghurt.
Caramalised pumpkin makes a nice addition to a veg pizza topping.
Then there's soup, or scones - when you have a vegetable that runs completely wild in queensland gardens, you get creative with using it.

Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just came across a simple way to make a pumpkin shaped cake. I thought someone might like it.

You bake two bundt cakes and put them together so that the lines meet. Then frost with orange frosting.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo, that sounds so cute! A very clever idea!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are a couple of raw gherkins in my veggie box this week. All online recipes seem to involve more than 2. Is there something simple I can do / eat them with to make them edible with minimum fuss?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
There are a couple of raw gherkins in my veggie box this week. All online recipes seem to involve more than 2. Is there something simple I can do / eat them with to make them edible with minimum fuss?

If you mean something as shown in
this picture , then you can just use them in a salad.

My family eat them as if an apple.

If you feel they must be pickled then you can do what my mum used to do many years ago and slice thinly into a glass bowl. Add finely sliced onion and/or tomato. Pour over a mix of vinegar diluted to taste and add pepper and salt. Leave a couple of hours before serving.

I can remember this being served when I was a child. Lots of salad ideas down here for long hot summers.

In any case, we all find them perfectly edible as they are.

[ 31. October 2012, 23:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, that's what I mean, Lothlorien. I don't know if our lack of sun is to blame, but raw gherkins grown here aren't edible raw. They're very tart. The sort of thing that makes your face pucker.

I've peeled and sliced one and am soaking it in salt water to see if that improves it.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've goofed and accidentally bought two packs of bacon instead of one. Any ideas for using it up? There's only one of me, but rather a lot of bacon.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Freeze it? Freeze in tomato and bacon mixes for pasta sauces, or in bacon, cabbage and potato mixtures? Make something like puff pastry pasties filled with leek and bacon mix, and freeze before baking. Lentil and bacon soup?

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My fridge comes with a seriously tiny freezer, so there's very limited space for storage...
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You could freeze the packet as a whole. That wouldn't take up much space.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I've goofed and accidentally bought two packs of bacon instead of one. Any ideas for using it up? There's only one of me, but rather a lot of bacon.

Bacon and white fish go rather well together.

Salad scattered with diced, crispy- fried bacon (and croutons f you're feeling really piggy).

A meat loaf wrapped in bacon is nice both hot and cold.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's lovely in macaroni and/or cauliflower cheese. Add to stews. Have a bacon sandwich for breakfast... Any good?

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

If it's in a vacuum-sealed packet, it'll keep for quite a while in the fridge.

How about reviving the Great British Breakfast?

Or you could send it over to me - I can't find Proper Bacon™ here. [Big Grin]

[ 08. November 2012, 03:05: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
It's lovely in macaroni and/or cauliflower cheese. Add to stews. Have a bacon sandwich for breakfast... Any good?

I went out of town to an artsy-tartsy little community and got a delicious plate of three cheese tortellini with bacon and sundried tomatoes in the sauce. I happened to run into the chef on the way out and complemented her the dish. She smiled modestly and said, "Everything tastes better with bacon".

So true.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Upstairs I asked what to do with suet, which had never shown up in my local supermarket before or since. It's been sitting in my freezer, and I think I've finally resolved to use it to make suet dumplings.

I've only seen recipes for suet dumpling involving beef stew, but I have this family pack of chicken thighs. Would I be a gauche American if I made suet dumplings in chicken stew instead?

It also makes an interesting pie dough for an apple pie. The article on it in the NY Times also suggested it for fish pie.

The dough has this solidity. If you decoreate the top with holes and leaves and twisted dough fripperies, they don't melt, but bake into the decorative shapes.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:

If it's in a vacuum-sealed packet, it'll keep for quite a while in the fridge.

How about reviving the Great British Breakfast?

Or you could send it over to me - I can't find Proper Bacon™ here. [Big Grin]

Some stores in the Loblaws chain (Loblaws, Superstore, etc. etc.) sell something called Shropshire (or possibly WIltshire) bacon which bears a passing resemblance to what you lot call "Proper" bacon. I'm pretty sure it isn't actually made in the UK, but it looks (and tastes) much like what you want.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Drape it over a roasting pheasant or partridge [Biased]

Or less gluttonously, as CKC said, cut it in bits and cook it with pasta. A nice creamy oniony sauce with bacony bits. That's what I did with my left-over bacon a couple of weeks ago (left over after roasting the partridge that is)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks, all, for the delicious suggestions! So far I haven't been adventurous (toasted sandwich with tomato and blue cheese, fry-up with fried potatoes and baked beans, but they're quick and easy on a winter's night when you're late home).

I think the Full English will be happening at some point over the weekend and then I'll be doing something a bit more interesting. Decisions, decisions... there are several suggestions here that appeal, thank you!

I've also had "datiles con bacon" at a Spanish tapas restaurant, which are dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in bacon. Crispy, salty bacon over the intense sweetness of the dates and soft, tangy cheese: it's a winning combination.

guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hi all. Erik and I are hosting Christmas for my folks this year, and I'd really like to do a traditional Christmas Pudding. There are lots of good-looking recipes out there but the cooking time is often around 6 hours. I'd like to try using a pressure cooker to shorten this time but am a bit nervous as I've never done this before! Anyone done this who can give ne some tips? Also, if anyone does have a great tried-and-tested recipe I'd love to see it.

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... "datiles con bacon" ...

My dad used to be very partial to scallops wrapped in bacon. I've never tried them, but I bet they'd be rather good.

My pancetta pasta would work with bacon; I've since added toasted slivered almonds to the top, which makes it even nicer.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I like liver (preferably lamb) wrapped in bacon like those dates - spread inside of the bacon with mustard, stick rolls on a skewer, grill. Used to do that one a lot as a iron rich meal.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
My dad used to be very partial to scallops wrapped in bacon. I've never tried them, but I bet they'd be rather good.

I've had those. You need to be careful about which bacon you pick as it can rather overpower the delicate flavour of the scallops, but they are indeed good.
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For a trendy French aperitif thing, you can also wrap prunes in bacon and stick them in the oven. The sweet and greasy together is very pleasant.

(Warning - when you first take them out of the oven, they are VERY hot)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While your bacon is not authentic pancetta, I'm sure you can make pretty good carbonara sauce with it. Instead of delicate scallops, you could wrap the bacon round smoked mussels or baby clams, which can stand up to it better.

Then there is "Tatties in the Tin": sliced potatoes, layered with bacon in Oxo gravy, in a roasted tin. Cover it with foil to start, but remove the foil towards the end. Takes about 50 minutes @ gas 5, but note that ovens (and potatoes) vary. A good dish when you have more month left than money and hungry boys to feed.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Another good feed 'em till they want no more is thinly sliced potato, layered with grated cheese and diced bacon and wrapped in puff pastry (slash the top to make a lattice).

On a more Cassandraish note, avoid Lidl's ready-stuffed English pheasant. Normally I am an advocate: they do good veg, excellent chocolate and the occasional alcoholic gem: their frozen prawns are a mainstay. But the pheasant was tough and tasteless.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Pheasant is tricky - if in doubt (don't have a beak and feet to check) I'd casserole them. I don't roast them unless I know provenance. Old birds are often tough.

(Yes, my family shoots, yes, I grew up eating pheasant all winter)

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr RoS sometimes brings home roadkill pheasant - I always casserole them with mushrooms, orange juice and white wine (a Good Housekeeping recipe I think I've had since the late 60s).

Mother-in-law used to serve roasted (conventionally killed) pheasant with all the traditional trimmings. I never enjoyed it, always finding it too dry - not to mention the risk of broken teeth on any lingering shot.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I did this recipe from the Blessèd Delia for pheasants braised in Madeira one Christmas and it was very nice.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I used to do a roast pheasant recipe that involved a spinach stuffing with bacon, apple, onion and breadcrumbs. Haven't done that in ages but I have to travel to find pheasants now as they aren't usually sold locally any more. The ones I used to get were usually netted rather than shot, although I've had both.

Spaghetti carbonara with bacon has been unexpectedly delicious. Oddly, I haven't had this before - never made it at home and when eating out there were always other things on the menu I preferred. But I'd definitely make this again.

Three more days of bacon left now and as accidental double purchases go this has been a really enjoyable mistake. Bacon is surprisingly versatile!

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Excess sponge cake alert!

I scaled up a recipe (because it said 'Serves 2' and we were 3): it is an pineapple upside-down sponge, with a lime and chili syrup. And very good too. But I do have a lot of excess sponge cake left.

Does it freeze? Is there anything else I can do with it?

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another use for bacon - in quiche. I fry a chopped onion,. sliced mushrooms and cut up bacon in a knob of butter, drain the mixture into a pastry case, cover with grated cheese and then add the frying liquor to 3 beaten eggs and 150ml single cream, season with salt and black pepper and pour that over the fried ingredients and bake for about 40 mins on about 180 C.
I make a large one, we eat some fresh and freeze the rest. (I cheat big time, using ready rolled pastry and grated cheese)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Quiche is already on my list [Biased] I had it in mind to make one very similar to your recipe that would do for packed lunches for the week.

Firenze, sponge cakes should be OK to freeze. Thaw out carefully though - the unfrozen ones I've had have tended to be a bit soggy but it may have been that they needed a bit longer to defrost properly.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:

Firenze, sponge cakes should be OK to freeze. Thaw out carefully though - the unfrozen ones I've had have tended to be a bit soggy but it may have been that they needed a bit longer to defrost properly.

I'll do that. It could have a second life as the basis of a trifle, so sogginess wouldn't be an issue.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016