homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rug and I are back from the yearly church retreat, and I'm asking for help for next year. (So I have plenty of time to experiment!)

One thing we seem to always do is have breakfast casseroles on Sunday morning, as they can be prepared on Saturday night and then placed in the oven in the morning. The problem is that they take (or at least they did this year) an hour and a half to bake and well...they aren't really vegan.

We try to have vegan (or at least vegetarian) options at every meal. We have at least one member (a young child) who is allergic to all forms of meat, dairy, and gluten. (His dad's comment is that he can eat fresh fruits and vegetables).

What I want to find is a truly vegan breakfast casserole that doesn't have eggs in it (which our current version does) and if it can be gluten free that would be a bonus!

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daiya foods have recipes using their non-dairy cheese products that are vegan and gluten free, including a mac and cheese that might work for you. Also The Gluten free vegan has recipes you might use. Depending what the child eats at home, he might like a curry - you could look at some vegan indian recipes, or alternately a mexican bean based dish with gluten free tortillas.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze, it's truffle time now, so maybe a chocolate truffle recipe might use up some cake in a good cause.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Excess sponge cake ...

Excess CAKE???

[Confused] [Ultra confused] [Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... I have to travel to find pheasants now as they aren't usually sold locally any more.!

Wheras here in London we can easily get them in supermarkets in season - except I no longer bother as I can now buy them cheaper in so-called "farmer's markets" held in the street - one over the road from our church and only five minutes walk from home, the other outside my office window - I don't even have to cross the road. So far no tough ones (some might have been a bit overcooked, but that's my fault not theirs)

Not that I buy that many pheasants because one is too big for me on my own. But partridges, or smaller wild ducks, or pigeons, are just about right for Sunday roast for one. And even then there is usually some left over for Monday. And sometimes Tuesday lunch as well. Well, from a duck, not usually from a pigeon.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:

What I want to find is a truly vegan breakfast casserole that doesn't have eggs in it (which our current version does) and if it can be gluten free that would be a bonus!

Perhaps baked apples with some form of almond paste; butter or one of the "mimic cream" almond milk. Rice noodles might add some carb to the mix. I don't know if cinnamon and nutmeg are problems for the gluten intorlerant.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just spent a couple days working on Yet Another Failed Sauerbraten recipe (the third one). Like most, it involved vinegar, lemons, cloves and, eventually, gingersnaps. It involved a day and a half of marinating. This one then used a crock pot slow cooker to cook for 6+ hours. And it is disappointing. Just like the two recipes before it.

Yet, I know good sauerbraten can be made. Horst Gasthouse in N. Myrtle Beach, SC, for example, has one that it a delight to the palate. But so far I have failed to come even close to duplicating it.

I come from German lineage and I cannot recall my mother ever making sauerbraten, which suggests that she never had a good recipe. And that probably means that her mother never had one, either (my mother's mother lived next door to us--trust me, if she had a good recipe I'd know it).

Has anybody here had any success with making it?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pata, this is the best looking vegan/gluten-free breakfast casserole I found on a google search. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks simple enough and the ingredients (including the vegan ones) look yummy. Hope this helps.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Pata, this is the best looking vegan/gluten-free breakfast casserole I found on a google search. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks simple enough and the ingredients (including the vegan ones) look yummy. Hope this helps.

I've just been thinking: if you want a more savory dish, you could try lessening or eliminating the sugar, and add vegan crumbled sausage and sauteed onions, and perhaps favorite herbs instead of cinnamon.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I have just spent a couple days working on Yet Another Failed Sauerbraten recipe (the third one). Like most, it involved vinegar, lemons, cloves and, eventually, gingersnaps. It involved a day and a half of marinating. This one then used a crock pot slow cooker to cook for 6+ hours. And it is disappointing. Just like the two recipes before it.

Yet, I know good sauerbraten can be made. Horst Gasthouse in N. Myrtle Beach, SC, for example, has one that it a delight to the palate. But so far I have failed to come even close to duplicating it.

I come from German lineage and I cannot recall my mother ever making sauerbraten, which suggests that she never had a good recipe. And that probably means that her mother never had one, either (my mother's mother lived next door to us--trust me, if she had a good recipe I'd know it).

Has anybody here had any success with making it?

I've never made it.
Wikipedia talks about marinating for 6 to 10 days. There's also a Knorr seasoning packet available (amazon has it). It may have msg or some magic industrial ingredient.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, Mousethief and I were discussing Coolers in chat one evening, and I started speculating as to what would constitute a "bunny with an axe". With the help of the bartender at cheers in Pacifica, this is what I came up with

The Bunny with an Axe

1 part creme de menthe
1 part Grey Goose orange flavored vodka*

Slice of orange, gently squeezed and used for garnish. On the rocks.

(Basically a traditional vodka stinger with an orange twist.)

*if you don't like/ have flavored vodka, reduce the creme de menthe and replace with Cointreau, to taste.)

Yummy!

[ 15. November 2012, 06:24: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could have a whole new Game in which Shippies posted the Drink of the Name.

A Firenze is, of course, a long drink: Pisang Ambon Guaraná Lime and vodka topped up with Prosecco and garnished with fresh lime, I fancy.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sister makes the best-ever Spicy Apple cake, and has passed me the recipe [Smile]

Spicy Apple Cake

An apple cake which contains glacé cherries and sultanas, the apple first being cooked to a pulp. this makes the cake very moist and hence a good 'keeper'.

3 cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
5 oz butter, softened
5 oz soft brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
8 oz flour
1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
pinch salt
2 oz sultanas
2 oz glacé cherries, halved
grated rind of half a lemon
1 dessert spoon Demerera sugar

Cook the apples with a very little water until soft, then sieve to produce a smooth purée: there should be 4-5 oz. Allow to cool. Set oven to 350 F or Mark 4 (about 160 C, I think). Grease and line a 7 inch round cake tin. Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs, a little at a time. Sift together the flour, spices, bicarbonate of soda and salt and stir into the mixture. Add the dried fruit. Mix the lemon rind with the apple purée and fold into the mixture. Put into the tin and smooth the top. sprinkle a dessertspoon of Demerara sugar over the cake to give a crunchy topping. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just in time for Thanksgiving madness, a sweet potato baked thing that is easy, vegan, and super delicious:

Nikki's Sweet Potatoes

Puts the awful marshmallowy casserole to SHAME.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
Puts the awful marshmallowy casserole to SHAME.

[Hot and Hormonal] Oops. I just got the ingredients for the marshmallowy version today. Believe it or not, in all the decades of hosting and cooking for Thanksgiving, this is my first time to make the awful casserole! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It can be utterly delicious, I'm sure! Just, er, not the way my family prepares it.

--------------------

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would this work? I've very little experience of cooking pheasant breasts (and not that much of cooking whole pheasants).

Brown two* pheasant breasts in butter, remove them, sweat an onion and some garlic, add a good amount of chopped mushrooms, add a small tub of double cream and some pepper, bring to a simmer, return the pheasants to the pan, pop the lid on and let them simmer for 15 mins or so.

Serve sliced with tagliatelle and some steamed broccoli to three moderately hungry people.

Thurible

*two rather than three because they were reduced the other week

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Bird with delicious sauce and veggies? I'd eat it. [Smile]

[tangent] I watched Food Network "Family Cook Off" last night. Some of their stars teamed with spouses and other family members to compete for money for their charities. Alex Guarnaschelli partnered with her sweet old mom. Awwww! This nice home cook is cooking with her executive chef daughter. I looked Alex up on Wiki and found that she had brought a ringer. [Eek!] Her mom had a long career as a cookbook editor, testing recipes for years! (But they lost to Anne Burrell and her nutritionist sis, anyway.) [/tangent]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

Brown two* pheasant breasts in butter, remove them, sweat an onion and some garlic, add a good amount of chopped mushrooms, add a small tub of double cream and some pepper, bring to a simmer, return the pheasants to the pan, pop the lid on and let them simmer for 15 mins or so.

My tendency would be to add a little liquid - wine, cider or stock - when returning the breasts to the pan. Cover and a very low heat (you don't want to boil them). Then taste the sauce and consider what it needs - possibly a spoonful of red currant jelly wouldn't come amiss. Then, and only then, would I add cream, and not a whole tubful, just a couple of spoons to thicken and enrich.
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. I was wondering about stock first. Worth adding some flour to the sweated stuff to aid thickening?

Thurible

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Thanks. I was wondering about stock first. Worth adding some flour to the sweated stuff to aid thickening?

I'm more for boiling hard to reduce and concentrate (pre-cream addition obviously). Alternatively, I'm a great fan of beurre manie - just roll morsels of butter in flour. It has the advantage that you can control the amount of thicken exactly, plus, IMO, it does away with the need for cream, and gives a subtler, more savoury result.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Margaret Costa's pheasant with mushrooms recipe in Four Seasons Cookbook uses mushrooms cooked in butter, browned (whole) pheasant (stuffed with mushrooms). The pheasant is then put into a casserole. In the pan used for browning melt more butter, add flour, then stock and sherry to make sauce, pour over pheasant and casserole. Additional mushrooms added back just before serving. Serve with watercress.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Thanks: it's on the menu for this evening. I'll report back.

Thurible

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Be interested to hear.

Meanwhile, I'm still toiling to build a vegetarian repertoire. Part the problem is an audience that doesn't care for pulses, nor overmuch for aubergine. And would like bacon to be considered a vegetable. I bought The Crank's Bible but haven't found it that inspiring. Yotam Ottolenghi is better, but a bit chefy.

Any other recommendations?

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The addition of cheese?
Many non-vegetarians don't notice that cheese-y dishes are vegetarian.

The Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall tv thing on veg was very good, and I assume that there was an companion book.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Kitchen / Vegetarian Cookbook books - lovely cashew nut and parsnip loaf with mushroom layer that meat eaters like for Christmas. They eat it as a particularly interesting vegetable / stuffing alongside the turkey.

My absolute favourite for inspiring interesting vegetarian cookery is Colin Spencer's "Cordon Vert"

[ 21. November 2012, 15:21: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Meanwhile, I'm still toiling to build a vegetarian repertoire.

You might take a look at From A Monastery Kitchen, and its companion books (12 Months of Soup and Sacred Feasts). While it is not exclusively vegetarian, the recipes tend to favor a vegetarian lifestyle. I have long relied on the 12 Months of Soup book as my primary soup recipe book. The monk who prepared the book has gone through great effort to make it non-chefy so that even a novice like myself can do the recipes.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

Two sites that give me a lot of inspiration:

smitten kitchen

101 cookbooks

The nice thing about both is that you need not scrupulously measure and follow everything to the letter--with the exception of baking, I use the recipes more as guidelines and ideas than exact instructions (which is good if you can't be arsed to convert measurements to metric...)

I don't know if Mark Bittman's cookbooks are available on your side of the pond, but when he says, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian , he really does mean everything.

[ 21. November 2012, 15:34: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:

smitten kitchen

I think the mustard roast potatoes are going to be on tonight's menu.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Kitchen / Vegetarian Cookbook books

I should take another look at that. I can occasionally sneak the Cheese and Lentil loaf past my audience - if I put enough chili and bacon in it.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Parsnip and cashew nut roast pretty much word for word. There's an amazing mushroom and sherry gravy to go with it.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Be interested to hear.

Meanwhile, I'm still toiling to build a vegetarian repertoire. Part the problem is an audience that doesn't care for pulses, nor overmuch for aubergine. And would like bacon to be considered a vegetable. I bought The Crank's Bible but haven't found it that inspiring. Yotam Ottolenghi is better, but a bit chefy.

Any other recommendations?

Leith's Vegetarian Bible

any of the Avoca cookbooks (there's a stunning chickpea, pepper and feta thingy in pastry in one of them that takes pulses well away from the whole veggie stew place)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I have a lot of respect for Prue Leith. She always strikes me as of the school of Jane Grigson and Elizabeth David - admirable women all.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Meanwhile, I'm still toiling to build a vegetarian repertoire. Part the problem is an audience that doesn't care for pulses, nor overmuch for aubergine.

I know you didn't ask for aubergine suggestions but here are a handful of suggestions that you might not have thought of, which might be less repulsive than when an aubergine is cooked to rags in a moussaka or something. I've tried them and like them, but taste is an individual thing.

Thinly sliced peeled aubergines, brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt, and grilled, then served with yogurt to dip into, are one way I discovered I liked them. You can put crushed garlic, and/or dried mint, into the yoghurt.

Moroccan aubergines in spicy honey sauce - It's a kind of North African sweet-and-sour, quite aromatic and can pack a punch.

Grilled peeled aubergine slices with a tomato sauce made with garlic, wine vinegar, chilli powder, and a little sugar and salt. I think I diced the aubergine by way of variation.

Stir-fried with a Chinese sauce. I had this once in a restaurant - it may have been sweet chilli sauce, but I remember liking it very much.

Pulses are boring, I agree, though borlotti beans are nice.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This little list may help, with some interesting stuff in the comments, if you can ignore the usual wailing and gnashing of teeth about vegetarian food.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's a divergence on textures in our house. I actually like the mealiness of beans and the ever-so-slight sliminess of aubergine.

I'm minded to think that texture is as important a taste in determining what we eat.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

One of my favourite Cranks recipes is that aubergine and kidney bean casserole, however, it's not to everyone's taste. (And homity pies and the pasties, but I adapted the pastry somewhat to make it less worthy. I use potato farl made with wholemeal flour instead)

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm still toiling to build a vegetarian repertoire.

I think I've recommended this book before.
It's out of print now, but there are cheap 2nd-hand copies available on Amazon. It has lots of different types of vegetarian dishes, and a very tempting pictorial index to wake up the taste buds.

I was first tempted to buy the book by a picture in it of a gorgeous stuffed pumpkin. I have served that to the vegetarian members of my family at Christmas in the past, and they will be getting it again this year as my garden has produced pumpkins of just the right size.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone got any ideas for cheap one-pot meals that don't involve pulses? I'm afraid the texture makes me gag. Other than that I like pretty much everything.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Soups, slow cooked casseroles with cheap cuts of meat if you eat it and filled with lots of vegetables.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Has anyone got any ideas for cheap one-pot meals that don't involve pulses? I'm afraid the texture makes me gag. Other than that I like pretty much everything.

The principle of peasant cooking the world over: a lot of 'filler' to a small amount of the expensive stuff, with strong seasonings and aromatics.

If there's a particular cuisine appeals to you - Indian, Middle-eastern, Mediterranean - look at a few cookbooks. There will be a core of ingredients which will support an enormous variety of dishes. Just turmeric, coriander, cumin, cayenne and mustard seed - plus fresh stuff like chilis, garlic and ginger - can get you a long way in Indian cooking for example.

[ 22. November 2012, 07:52: Message edited by: Firenze ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Look at your bookshelf. Is Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book there? If so, read it. If not, go out and buy one before your next meal, and then read it. All your questions will be answered [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Look at your bookshelf. Is Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book there?

But of course.

quote:

If so, read it. If not, go out and buy one before your next meal, and then read it. All your questions will be answered [Smile]

True. But still the appetite goes a-whoring after strange recipes.
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I cook vegetarian meals three or four times a week for meat-eaters and it is a struggle. Because I have lived in East and Central Africa, I'm fairly good at time-consuming dishes with cassava, amaranth and sorghum millet but my own preference is for Ethiopian or North African dishes (I have a handful of recipes from Marcus Samuelsson).

Otherwise Simon Hopkinson's The Vegetarian Option is good, as is Rose Elliot's Classic Vegetarian Recipes from which I learned a good deal in the 1980s. Some Madhur Jaffrey (Simple Indian Cooking), Tarla Darlal's New Indian Vegetarian Cookery, and the blogs mentioned in previous posts, along with the blog Colors of Indian Cooking (not altogether vegetarian). I also use David Thompson on Thai cooking and Thidavadee Camsong's Asian Vegetarian Cooking.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At the risk of stating the extremely obvious, there's also lots of interesting things to be done with eggs.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

Erm. What is a "pulse"? Cooking-wise, of course.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

You know, I remember asking this before: legumes, right?

[ 22. November 2012, 13:49: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Erm. What is a "pulse"? Cooking-wise, of course.

I'm assuming beans, peas and lentils.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
At the risk of stating the extremely obvious, there's also lots of interesting things to be done with eggs.

I just wish I were fonder of the results. I occasionally do omelette or soufflé or frittata or quiche, but somehow they're never the category of food that I really, really fancy eating. Too gelid, somehow. I like crispy, spicy, sour or luscious - preferably all in the same dish.

[ 22. November 2012, 13:57: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I spent quite a lot of the beginning of the year cooking dishes from Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall's River Cottage Veg Every Day, and the results/comments thereon can be read on my blog 2 (link from sig) - try clicking on January/february 2012 to see what I thought. It wasn't bad and gave me a lot of different thingsz to cook. I'm now using the Hairy Dieters much more. Which is definitely NOT for vegetarians!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016