homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Shipboard Memories (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shipboard Memories
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
oh, and EAT IT NOW...

Words which still come unbidden to my mind during Communion on occasion!

Another here who has lurked much more than posted, and deleted more posts than have made it onboard.

I've also learned a lot about theology, Christian diversity and also humanity here. And spent time laughing and crying at things my family wouldn't understand.

Some of my favourites were in the Agony Aunt threads, presided over by Left at the Altar and Sine Nomine, who always gave such sage advice.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I really enjoyed the 8th-day 'poetry' extravaganza.

Well, thank you. I think it was a highlight too. But bloody hard work to keep up the requisite head of creative steam.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just over ten years ago I preached for the first time in a new parish, aware that there were at least three ship members in the congregation, but not which ones they were!
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not much opportunity for Shipmeets here, but on my one venture to Perf it was great to meet some of these strange people called Shippies when I was very new myself. And thanks to Uncle Pete who drew some of us together and I found I already knew one and have shared ideas and experiences with another. Uncle Pete is not the only one who's now among my Facebook friends.
It's been an eye-opener for a Progressive Presbyterian to learn what is so important theologically and liturgically to people who are at the opposite end of those spectrums (spectra?).
And I do enjoy those Mystery Worshippers. I wonder what one of them might make of one of my services!
From being one of the people who was comfortable with a computer back in pre-Ship days, in 1982, I've somewhere hit a ceiling and hope the New Ship will be as easy to navigate as this one.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarkycow's review of "Colditz", and the subsequent thread that arose, brought many a smile to my face.

The many meets I had around the world. And the dear people in Australia I got to know well.

Finding the Ship in a time of spiritual and personal tumult...and finding a safe haven for my wonderings. And being challenged. Often on a daily basis.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh... I remembered another as I walked the aisles of my local supermarket.

Green & Blacks. Never heard of it until it was mentioned here, by Erin iirc. Maya Gold was a firm favourite of mine, but it seems to have gone the way of the dodo here.

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The yearly Quiz.

Lots of fun and guaranteed to cause a shit storm at times.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meeting people from around the world as they came through Christchurch and also other NZ shippies. I remember LaTA asking if anyone in Christchurch would be willing to look after her children while she went to a wedding here. I volunteered and they were delightful. I still remember her young son learning over to me during SpongeBob Squarepants and saying apologetically "he's a bit rude."

Also the support from Shipmates during the Christchurch/Canterbury earthquakes. One of the most comforting things was asking for prayers late at night and then being able to sleep, knowing that there were people all around the world supporting me with prayer. When it felt as though there was nothing to hold onto I clung on to that.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Huia, that. When Miss M was first diagnosed with Leukaemia, I rathery timidly reported it here. For several years people were praying for her on every continent and in many different countries. I was overwhelmed by support.she has been in remission now for about a year, I think. Last week she won awards at school presentation night for her first year in high school. She not only missed an enormous amount of school through the illness but the school would let family know if there was an outbreak of gastro etc which she should avoid.

I am still so grateful as I was when my marriage broke up for support from near and far. That is ten years ago next week that I actually left.

[ 18. December 2017, 07:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, so many years, so many memories.

The Nativity Play has to have been a favourite memory and I got the giggles last night at church singing "Highly Favoured Lady" and thinking "Highly flavoured gravy" as I have every year since then. It was a massive privilege playing Mary and I particularly liked the way my avatar gradually changed throughout the play.

Shipmeets. How could I ever forget hosting what was, in its time, the biggest shipmeet ever with 33 people sat on the floor in my lounge, especially the year we joined in watching the return of Doctor Who. Synchronised three-point-turns as we drove the wrong way (twice) to Blackgang Chine and doing the treasure hunt clues for the Wightmeeters. Meeting so many new friends that way, from so many different places, many of whom are now friends for life.

The cafe - especially the original Goringe cafe where I could zoom round the place on my skateboard and people periodically fell overboard and were greeted back again with a towel.

The amazing blessing of being sure of a friend to talk to in the cafe during the darker hours of difficult times.

Experiencing the loss of a true friend in Miss Molly and gaining so many other good friends.

Playing eternal games of Everlasting Sentences.

The Duckmeet - St Sims meet - the Family Meet - the Dublin meets - and a whole host of smaller meets which were a "normal" part of life for me and my boys but which were extremely hard to explain to those not in the know. Playing host to Tigglet and Soggy Amphibian during the Mad Tour and paddling with them in the November sea at the Needles with knotted handkerchiefs on our heads to fulfil a challenge - only to be swamped by an unexpected wave from behind.

Love, friendship, support, laughter, tears, prayers, challenge, debate = a massive part of my life.

Life has moved on and time commitments reduce my involvement in the Ship but the memories remain, together with an attachment and a prayer that others may find the same community and enrichment that I have benefited from here.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:

Green & Blacks. Never heard of it until it was mentioned here, by Erin iirc. Maya Gold was a firm favourite of mine, but it seems to have gone the way of the dodo here.

not at all, if you mean Shipboard. I just picked up some today, remembering Erin.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread was making me try to remember what first brought me to the Ship. I suddenly realized that it was Gadgets For God (and I assume it was around Christmastime). After amusing myself with the Gadgets, I then started lurking on the Boards for, oh, probably about a year before I decided to sign up.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Memory clicked too late: "12 Days of Kitschmas"--that's what it was called!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
not at all, if you mean Shipboard. I just picked up some today, remembering Erin.

We haz Green and Blacks in Our Town?!?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes'm.

I got them at Global Foods, though I've found them elsewhere (must remember where...)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh... I remembered another as I walked the aisles of my local supermarket.

Ian

The Australian Green and Blacks Website may help.

Jengie

[ 19. December 2017, 18:12: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
It’s strange to think that the Ship as we know her is on the last few days of her last voyage, soon to draw alongside the shiny New Ship ready for us all to clamber aboard 🚢

What are your shipboard memories and hopes for the future?

It was our 13th wedding anniversary yesterday (met on the Ship).

We thought of going out somewhere, but in the end spent our wedding anniversary trying to corral the toys filling our living room, courtesy of our 2 kids (I guess they owe a debt to the Ship too).

I will now have a more leisurely look through the thread , I apologise if it is full of similar stories.

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
It’s strange to think that the Ship as we know her is on the last few days of her last voyage, soon to draw alongside the shiny New Ship ready for us all to clamber aboard 🚢

I hope she is more watertight than the new "Queen Elizabeth" - and cheaper.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe I've been on board this ship for almost 5 years ....and with such a high post count too... [Killing me]

I love this place and visit daily. I found the Ship when I did an internet search for a church my son-in-law was hoping would like to have him as their priest (they didn't!).
I read a Mystery Worshipper report on the church and then explored the Ship.

I was and remain drawn by the debating skills, breadth of experience, humour and humanity (warts and all) of Shipmates. You lot make me think. And pray.
I remember I chose to make my first post on quite a tricky topic- healing- and people were very kind.
Glad I found you. [Yipee]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

Oh no, I meant my-local-supermarket-here. The dark stuff is still there, mmmm, but when travelling I do pop into local supermarkets to see if they have any. Maybe I'll ask my local could they get it in for me: never thought of that.
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lay claim to having introduced Erin to Maya Gold! She said I was her dealer.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember the 9/11 attacks, where the ship was the best news source for what was happening. While Twitter probably does that for me these days, the ship often provides a larger echo box.

I also remember the playground, one of my threads, because of the incredible creativity that people showed on it. I mean, how do you actually play conkers on a message board? It is the creativity that so many shipmates have to use, subvert, and expand the form that always amazes me.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calling God To Hell

Just one of the most honest, emotional, and goddamn Christian threads I’ve ever read.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thread Marvin mentioned. One I read whenever I feel particularly hopeless, despairing or abandoned.

Calling God to Hell.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Ian Climacus:

If there is no problem sending chocorrit from the UK to Oz and you are happy to PM your address, I will happily send you some Maya Gold. Though leaving until it's not quite high summer may be sensible...
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
The thread Marvin mentioned. One I read whenever I feel particularly hopeless, despairing or abandoned.

Calling God to Hell.

It is strange to read that now. Some is inspiring, some literally makes me feel bottom of stomach sick. So much water has flowed under the hull since it and so many stories unfolded by posters on it over the years.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We haven't had a San Francisco shipmeet in ages. Maybe in the New Year somebody will cook something up.

I remember a meet in a North Beach restaurant, where we dined under the gaze of Lawrence Ferlinghetti, painted on the wall behind us. It really looked like he was part of the party! AG, what was the name of that place? Was it the US Cafe?

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
We haven't had a San Francisco shipmeet in ages. Maybe in the New Year somebody will cook something up.

Early warning! I plan to visit SF next summer. Shall I give you advance warning so that you can plan a Shipmeet at a different time?

Actually, I had thought of mentioning this when the date gets closer. I'll wait for the new Ship.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Calling God To Hell

Just one of the most honest, emotional, and goddamn Christian threads I’ve ever read.

Thank you for the reminder. I've just re-read the thread. It's also reminded me of people who are no longer posting (for whatever reason) and how much I miss their contributions [Tear] [Votive]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. I should have included Newman's Own in my earlier post about Shipmates sorely missed.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My alarm when people change their profile pictures when I have grown sure that shipmates should I ever meet them in person will look just like the picture they use.

Thanksgiving for a larger world view in times of unrest. Comfort in not feeling alone. 9:11 being an example.

Ship has given me a better understanding of those who differ on a number of issues. So I can say the ship has made me more open and understanding of those with differing views on all sorts of subjects, political and religious. I think that is a good thing.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
My alarm when people change their profile pictures when I have grown sure that shipmates should I ever meet them in person will look just like the picture they use.

In which case I should change mine. Those are no longer my walking boots.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those are walking boots?! Ah OK I see it now .... just that in the past I have always interpreted your avatar as two Puritans (with big white collars) having a head to head argument! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Those are walking boots?! Ah OK I see it now .... just that in the past I have always interpreted your avatar as two Puritans (with big white collars) having a head to head argument! [Hot and Hormonal]

Same here!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if we can persuade Lamb Chopped, Honest Ron Bacardi, and Anglican Brat to not all share the same avatar?

(Oh, and same here).

[ 22. December 2017, 11:41: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gold Teeth, the phenomenon and the criticism thereof, that was the first discussion which endeared me to the Ship.
Soon after boarding, I met Starbelly in the Exeter bookshop where he worked at the time. He seemed quite normal (!) so I thought it would probably be safe to go to a Shipmeet, without being murdered. I even went to Bronwyn's house (which, I am told, you should NEVER do when meeting strangers), where I met Rowen from the other side of the world, and talked to Miss Molly on the telephone, on a completely different side of the world.

This is no ordinary church group, I thought, as I gradually got sucked into the vortex....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reflecting the other day on incidents which broke active participants on this board.

One example (appears to be) Scot. At one time (iirc) he was an Admin, but if you look at his recent posts it looks like there was a particularly notorious incident that made him hand in his keys.

Of course I don't know what happened behind the scenes and I wasn't around at the time.

But it does make me think about "absent friends" - both in terms of people who have died as well as those who have simply and abruptly stopped posting - over the years.

I think it is possible to underestimate the personal cost and trauma associated with various incidents.

I'm not saying there is anything to be done about, just mentioning it as I was reflecting.

--------------------
arse

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I even went to Bronwyn's house (which, I am told, you should NEVER do when meeting strangers...

Quite a few years ago I had already planned a party when I saw on the Ship that Ye Olde Motherboard and JB were going to be in town, and I broke all those internet safety rules and invited them. But I really felt I knew them from the Ship (this is back in the days of the Santa Fe Shipmeets). My house was full of people, and I assumed all would be well -- which, of course it was. They became good friends. (Miss Amanda was also at that party and met YOM and JB for the first time.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Silent Acolyte and Beeswax Altar are two others whose contributions I've missed as well.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I was reflecting the other day on incidents which broke active participants on this board.

One example (appears to be) Scot. At one time (iirc) he was an Admin, but if you look at his recent posts it looks like there was a particularly notorious incident that made him hand in his keys.

I think not, having checked Scot's recent posts. You will find out all that is relevant to the Ship if you read the threads the recent posts about that incident. Indeed probably all you need to know is in this OP by Rook. No we do not go there often although technically it was that incident in particular that prompted an earlier post on this thread by me.

What you are seeing with Scot and recent posts is down to the storage size of the ship. Those are the most recent posts that are still kept that you can see. I am pretty sure there are other more recent ones that have been deleted to keep the ship functioning. Scot's not unusual in that; thank God, most of the rubbish I have posted has been deleted as well. It happens to everyone who is around enough. The only difference is I am generating more new rubbish.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss Laura.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been a great fast wit or tête-à-tête sort of a bloke so I've just tended to blunder around uttering inanities - nearly 19,000 of them it seems (though Gordon Cheng and a handful of his Sydney Anglican acolytes helped that post count no end [Snigger] ) yet I found some great friendships here, including two of my closest IRL friends (one long since planked by the authorities) and a whole catena of Perfians with whom I finally caught up this year. In some Very Dark Times™ in the last two years i have found some quiet, trustworthy support (especially amongst the Hosts, but I'm probably not supposed to mention that) - to the extent that I believe some of the love here warrants description as a life line.

I'm not sure to what extent I'll surface on the new tub. Maybe I will. I never really had the wit to keep up, but yeah, I have loved the friendships across the world that have evolved. It's been a while since I first tip toed, stilll under 52 posts, to a Byron Bay shipmeet with Rowen (at that time, temporarily, "The Lady Rowen"), Nutmeg, Left at the Altar and Nunc Dimittis.

Shipboard and IRL I've met some wonderful people through this site. For that I'm grateful. [Axe murder]

[ 23. December 2017, 06:02: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember the details now, but there was a time when several of us were taken in by the story of a young woman who had supposedly (if I remember rightly) been involved in the Bosnian war, had been raped, was struggling...and finally died. Her (supposed) broken hearted partner then posted. Finally it was all revealed as a scam of some sort (is that what one calls trolling?)

I was taken in. I prayed for this young woman. Dammit, I think I even sent her flowers.

After it had been blown open, I remember thinking & hoping that the person who had effected such a scam learned something about the kindness of others towards those in need. Even if theyt actually weren't in need at all, really.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was that Curious Buddhist? I came across Unicycle doing something similar a couple of years later.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

What you are seeing with Scot and recent posts is down to the storage size of the ship. Those are the most recent posts that are still kept that you can see. I am pretty sure there are other more recent ones that have been deleted to keep the ship functioning.

Oh yes, durr. I totally forgot about that.

--------------------
arse

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came here because The Atheist on JREF thought I would enjoy the discussions here. He was certainly right. I'll never be a believer again of course [Smile] but I have learnt so much from everyone here.

Meeting some shipmates in earlier years on several occasions was definitely a pleasure, and I have those memories in an SofF compartment in my brain.

Before heart op I liked the fitness races, particularly because it didn't matter about winningm, it was self-improvement with added motivation. I still maintain a regular routine of exercise of course.
I also liked the anagram game when, for instance, Terry Pratchett is Three Tart Crypt!

[ 23. December 2017, 14:44: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I can't remember the details now, but there was a time when several of us were taken in by the story of a young woman who had supposedly (if I remember rightly) been involved in the Bosnian war, had been raped, was struggling...and finally died. Her (supposed) broken hearted partner then posted. Finally it was all revealed as a scam of some sort (is that what one calls trolling?)

I was taken in. I prayed for this young woman. Dammit, I think I even sent her flowers.

After it had been blown open, I remember thinking & hoping that the person who had effected such a scam learned something about the kindness of others towards those in need. Even if theyt actually weren't in need at all, really.

I remember that. It taught me a lot about trusting people on the internet.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be frequent news of Shipmeets in All Saints, with photos to follow. I haven't seen photos of a Shipmeet in quite some time.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As one of the people who used to put up photos, I had a work contract listing social media contact that are not allowed, including being seen doing anything that might be a problem, which includes drinking alcohol in public. Work places check social media bow

I was also working mad hours and finding it much harder to take part in Shipmeets.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship has evidenty changed over time. I have the understanding that I joined up after a group of Founding Members had formed, become well-acquainted, formed community, and had begun to disperse. It was rather difficult actually at the start because there were some very dominant people who seemed to glory in their status, akin to Saints among us, halos apparently glowing. Which might have been a misread of intent, but the effect was clear. I continued here because we lost our church due to closure and was looking for an outlet. Then we had a family disaster at the hands of a criminal. Most responses here were helpful, but one shipmate in particular conducted themselves in the most despicable manner, to which I responded also despicably wanting to trounce her to oblivion and hell, and yet, was supported, and also advised. What I realized is that I could drop my filters, let my hair down, engage in both intellectual discourse and emotional blasts, and it was okay to do so here. Which is the main gift of the place which I derive.

The difference between on-line persona and real life? Quite a lot I think.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016