homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen! Preach it!

(And may the spirit of Fred Phelps be able to laugh at the happenings, just a little bit.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16758 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Seattle a couple of years ago, they made a musical Stu for Silverton about the transgender mayor of a small town in Oregon. When the Westboro Baptist Church decided to picket him at a town parade, they inspired most of the rest of the town to show up at the parade in drag to support their mayor.
It was a pretty funny musical.

Posts: 2928 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently God Hates Meteorologists.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 9873 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had to look at the masthead, thought that was an Onion article.

--------------------
And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had

- Roland Orzabal

Posts: 15069 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What particularly amazes me about this story (apart from the fact that it exists at all) is that they consider it arrogant to use the indicators to predict the weather (as Jesus said people do, without condemnation), but is is not arrogant and presumptive to say what God hates.

I suspect that, actually, God Hates Westboro.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18008 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
listener
Apprentice
# 15770

- Posted      Profile for listener   Email listener   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Latest assault on reason is to protest outside Kim Davis' office Oct.19th. As an adultress she should be issuing marriage certificates to gays as punishment to herself. (use links in previous posts if you want more).
Posts: 31 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Palimpsest: In Seattle a couple of years ago, they made a musical Stu for Silverton about the transgender mayor of a small town in Oregon. When the Westboro Baptist Church decided to picket him at a town parade, they inspired most of the rest of the town to show up at the parade in drag to support their mayor.
It was a pretty funny musical.

Wouldn't it be possible to write a musical about a LGBT topic that casts them as extras, since we can be sure that they will show up?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9462 | From: UK / Africa / Brazil | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by listener:
Latest assault on reason is to protest outside Kim Davis' office Oct.19th. As an adultress she should be issuing marriage certificates to gays as punishment to herself. (use links in previous posts if you want more).

This is the one occasion when I sort of cheered what they were doing/saying.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 22589 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the weather article:
quote:
"...nothing happens in this earth without the direct command of God ..."
Including the existence of gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans-gender people?

The words "shoot", "self" and "foot" spring to mind ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"It's not so much the toes", said Piglet, "as the ears". A. A. Milne
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18397 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So basically, all forms of science that risk telling you something about the world are evil. One should engage in constant supplication and, when there's a thunderstorm or tornado, shrike "God is angry!" and cower under the table.

And yet these morons seem to cope with the modern technology spreading their self-advertising.

--------------------
The musical diary has been updated in praise of Paul Dempsey.

Posts: 17750 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if they'll take commercial airlines to get to Kentucky for their picket of Ms Davis office? If so, would they complain if the pilot decided to route around any severe weather on the way?

--------------------
Citizen of the world.

Posts: 31291 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
From the weather article:
quote:
"...nothing happens in this earth without the direct command of God ..."
Including the existence of gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans-gender people?

The words "shoot", "self" and "foot" spring to mind ... [Roll Eyes]

Shrug. They're hyper-Calvinists. God created some people to be damned. The thing that I don't understand is why they spend all this time and energy protesting. It isn't going to change anything if God decreed it. Everything is signed and sealed in the Book of Everything. All I can think is that it is just a big raspberry at the world, "Nyah! Nyah! We've been saved and you haven't and you never will be! HAHAHA!!!"

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21051 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you are also attributing more logic and sense to their position that it justifies.

I know in some areas, some of them are reasonably intelligent. But when it comes to defining their theological position, all of that goes out of the window. Not unlike in other churches, of course, but there the results is rather more incomprehensible.

And I still can't get over the fact they miss Jesus saying in Mt 16, where he explains that they know how to do (rudimentary) weather forecasting, without condemnation, but they still can't see the signs of the kingdom.

Although I suspect they interpret "signs of the kingdom" as being the hideous placards they hold up. In the end, they have a religion of hatred, so they just have to hate everyone, and then find justification for their hatred.

And it does always intrigue me that, while they are very extreme, many other churches and church groups use similar tactics. This is not just evangelical groups either.

--------------------
Blog

Posts: 18008 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The situation of the Phelpses themselves isn't necessarily hopeless. Some members got out of the family cult and have separate lives. One, Fred's son, has been public about it.

I wonder how things are between Shirley and the rest of the clan. She was kind of lawyer-in-chief. AIUI, other members tried to push her out, before Fred died--and he actually stood up for her. If they now pushed hard enough to make her leave, however angrily and reluctantly, a) it might be good for her; and b) would the remaining group gradually crumble?

I was just thinking it would be cool for Pope Francis to walk up to one of their protests. (Not that I'd wish it on him!!) Maybe have some gentle but strong comments for them. But they might well try to hit him with their protest signs. Hmmm...Westboro vs. Papal and US Secret Service...

ETA: And, afterwards, wouldn't that make a great skit on "Saturday Night Live"?

[Two face]

[ 21. October 2015, 17:37: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 16758 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Several years ago, we had a discussion when Megan and Grace Phelps-Roper, two twenty-something sisters, left Westboro.

The New Yorkers Nov. 23, 2015 issue has an article on their journey, focusing mostly on Megan. It's a long article, but IMHO worth reading. And it's interspersed with classic New Yorker cartoons. (Unrelated to the article.)

Don't miss the last paragraph! [Smile]

--------------------

RooK

Rusty Ice Cream Fork
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fred Phelps died in March, 2014, at the age of eighty-four. Former members of the church told me that Fred had had a softening of heart at the end of his life and had been excommunicated.
HA HA HA HA HA!
Posts: 14918 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Rook--

Did you read the end of that paragraph? His heart evidently softened a *lot*, comparatively, given who he began to accept.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

It does definitely sound like, at the end of his life, he realised how completely wrong he had been.

That must have been horrible. I can honestly say that I hope he was able to make his peace with God, because my God is like that, a God of mercy.

Of course, maybe he just realised that everything he had stood for and worked for in his life was mistaken and broken, and died an utterly desperate soul, which would have been justice.

--------------------
Blog

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it does sound like the daughter Meg is a discerning and seeking person, who eventually could not tolerate the crap they were ladling out. Good for her, to walk out.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4235 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
It does definitely sound like, at the end of his life, he realised how completely wrong he had been.

That must have been horrible. I can honestly say that I hope he was able to make his peace with God, because my God is like that, a God of mercy.

Of course, maybe he just realised that everything he had stood for and worked for in his life was mistaken and broken, and died an utterly desperate soul, which would have been justice.

Wiki says that Fred was reportedly excommunicated for speaking positively about Equality House [Eek!] .

If true, just WOW. That is the Holy Spirit in action. [Big Grin]

Even if he died thinking he had been very wrong and that God had turned his back on him, I believe that there was a pleasant surprise in store for him.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21051 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Grauniad of 10 April 2016 has an article about 'Losing extreme faith', with, amongst others, Megan Phelps-Roper.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7036 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was interesting. And I can't help reading it with the current Archers discussion about domestic abuse in mind, particularly with regard to the Hasidic Jewish young woman.

It looks as if there is a capability for people to submit to situations which are not beneficial to their development as individuals, though they may be beneficial to physical survival.

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not familiar with the app, but, having kids, I am aware of Pokémon (sue me). It appears that WBC have enlisted Jigglypuff. I'm not sure whether Fred would have approved...

Behold!

Posts: 1262 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Are WBC going to picket the funeral of democracy, which must be due in the UK sometime soon?

--------------------
Blog

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this article about the neighbourly relations between WBC and the LGBTetc rainbow house opposite them, and now the trans-house by it. It's interesting; seems like there is actually some positivity there. Who'd have thought it?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3680 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a piece in the Guardian about the mayor of Miami after the shooting finding a nice area in the cemetery which would take all the victims, if their families wanted it, and organising construction fencing around it, in case the WBC decided to turn up.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
I saw this article about the neighbourly relations between WBC and the LGBTetc rainbow house opposite them, and now the trans-house by it. It's interesting; seems like there is actually some positivity there. Who'd have thought it?

Being around them helped Fred Phelps to start changing his mind and heart, before he died. (Something I read, afterwards.) It's awesome. And what a great way for the LGBT folks there to quietly let Fred know they're human.

--------------------

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:

Don't get your hopes up. I drive by their compound nearly every day, on the way to the local dog park. Their weekly church signs are getting even uglier. The following is an example.

GOD SENT THE SHOOTER TO ORLANDO! NOW GO AND SIN NO MORE!!!

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 85 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

As so often, their public display and show will get more aggressive as their core beliefs are shattering. I still see it as a possible positive development.

--------------------
Blog

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you, SC. Rhetoric is rhetoric, but the choice to treat humans like humans has the tragic consequence of changing attitudes.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 34979 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

So...WBC protested at the RNC convention. And were met by folks with other signs. Great pic.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not WBC, but some other nut of the same ilk.

--------------------
If someone takes a shot at President Trump will his bodyguards shout "Donald Duck"?

Posts: 23459 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Not WBC, but some other nut of the same ilk.

I rather like this account of it, which contrasts Perkins' claim that
Hurricane Joaquin was punishment from God for the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize gay marriage with his explanation of his own flooding:

quote:
[I]t was sent as “as an incredible, encouraging spiritual exercise to take you to the next level in your walk with an almighty and gracious God who does all things well.”
So when other people are flooded out, it is a sign of God's displeasure, but when he is flooded out it is a sign of God's gracious nature in affording him an encouraging spiritual exercise.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2429 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pray that the Lord in His bounty sends many such spiritual exercises.

--------------------
Lost in Space

Posts: 8064 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, it's a compliment, really.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 34979 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

As the Book says, "Whom the LORD loveth, He chasteneth".
[Snigger]

The HuffPost version of the story ended by saying that *no one* deserves what this guy went through--and that the writer hopes he comes to realize that.
[Cool]

Perhaps Fred Phelps will visit him in the night, maybe in his dreams, and Explain A Few Things.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Student rally for love when Westboro turns up at an Indianapolis university

Proud of the students at this university in my city.

sabine

[ 07. October 2016, 15:27: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5706 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Not Westboro as such but a "supporter" insists on telling kids waiting to visit Santa that he isn't real.

What an uncircumcised glans* he is.

*Complete dickhead.

--------------------
Blog

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Former Westboro member Megan Phelps Roper gives a TED talk. I wonder if we could get her on some Dead Horse threads?

--------------------
One has to take part. Scary as it is. - Martin60
Jerusalem is a city without walls

Posts: 16019 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

We discussed her, a few years ago. IIRC, we wanted her to join the Ship, but thought it might be too much exposure for her. We might have been going by something she said publicly, or maybe someone wrote to her.

I think the gist was that it might be too hard on her.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I think it was one of those strange times, when the ship as a whole wanted to send out a message of love and support for her, someone who was not and was unlikely to be a shipmate.

It was something very special.

I am just waiting until she can make it over here and talk at Greenbelt. That would be completely awesome (but might be too much for her). She would find so much love and care there.

--------------------
Blog

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

IIRC, one of the other escapees--a man--wrote a book about his experiences. I think Megan wrote some articles, but I'm not sure if she's written any books.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, all credit to both of them, showing that the evil propagated by Westboro (I won't dignify them by calling them a 'church') is not invincible.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 7091 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That TED talk is brilliant....thanks for the link

--------------------
Our only business is to love and to delight ourselves in God.
Brother Lawrence

Posts: 3005 | From: "....hallelujah for all of my days......" | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016