homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » chasing the Black Dog - a depression support thread (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: chasing the Black Dog - a depression support thread
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news for you and your husband, NEQ. Hard but worthwhile. [Votive]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That does sound like several steps in a good direction, NEQ.

Prayers ascending that the progress will continue. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ [Votive] [Overused] [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((NEQ))

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] NEQ [Votive]
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a brilliant post, NEQ. There's lots of hope there, but the struggle is there too.

[Axe murder] [Votive] [Axe murder]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such valuable insights for me to hear, NEQ. Thank you.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
system1
Apprentice
# 18389

- Posted      Profile for system1   Email system1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like this thread. Please post more so we can empathise.
Posts: 5 | From: North Britain | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gentle hostly tap on shoulder. System1, you could always empathise without its being a direct reply. Especially on this thread or the prayer thread.

Lothlorien
AS Host

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful, North East Quine, and thank you.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit of a surprise today at my psych's. I've had a tremor for a while. About 10 years ago that settled after a medication switch. I've since been on lithium and seroquel and the shakes came back to the extent that they were a bother about a year ago. In August, after a bad lithium blood test, the Doc took me off seroquel and cut my lithium back. The shakes abated somewhat, but are now back. Lithium test results show the concentration is within the target range.

So now its off to the Neurologist, and the words "early-onset Parkinsons" have been spoken by my Doc.

At this stage, my reaction is "bugger". Also a bit teary, but only a bit.

--------------------
Human

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((simontoad)) I'm so sorry.

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Oh dear, Simontoad. [Votive]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{{{{{simontoad}}}}}}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Simontoad [Votive]

I do hope they're wrong about the Parkinson's.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Thanks guys, and me too Piglet. I spoke to a mate today who also has bi-polar disorder. He was diagnosed a long time before me and is my age. He said he had been sent to a Neurologist to look for early-onset Parkinsons too. In his case, the outcome was good. I'm feeling a bit better after speaking to him, as it seems like the association between the two conditions is made often because of similar symptoms and the known side-effects of Lithium. So I feel like this is a bit more normal than I thought.

--------------------
Human

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone take my Black Dog out for a while? It's sitting on this desk and there isn't room for it. Can't concentrate on W*** while it's here - and someone is going to notice. Don't know how long I can hide this..

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhat more positive news, simontoad.

[Votive]

Meanwhile, this next is addressed to Fredegund's Black Dog: 'DOWN, SIR! NOW! GET UNDER THE BED!'

Hopefully the b***er will obey, and give you some room...

[Votive]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

You're on the list Fredegund. [Votive]

My wife and I went to the shelter a few years ago looking for an advertised black shaggy Newfoundland. We came home with a grey scruffy terrier, who we promptly christened Newfi.

I think there's a metaphor in there, but I'm not sure what it stands for.

--------------------
Human

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm...perhaps he's a light Black Dog, IYSWIM (though I guess he's probably a Good Guy really).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Question to owner of fully-grown Newfie:

Where does he sleep?

Wherever he likes.
[Big Grin]

{{{Simontoad and Fredegund}}}

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Here's a black shaggy Newfoundland.

How on earth can anyone afford to support such a Monstrous Beast? It looks like a sort of Bear... [Eek!]

FWIW, I'm afraid I always picture the Black Dog in my mind's eye as one of these.

IJ

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Those are Lab puppies, cute as anything. To me the black dog is a feral animal such as farmers here dread. Quiet, can creep up with no one noticing. They attack the defenceless young in the paddocks and slink back into the shadows.

I have heard them when we had a bush property. A terrible howl coming at night from what seems to be far too close, but in reality is probably some valleys away. An answer would come from one, then another in the pack. Chilling sound.

To me the black dog of depression is much like these dogs.

[ 28. November 2017, 21:47: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That resonates with me, Lothlorien. My actual pet dog is black and white and I notice how, at night, just a bit of white is enough to make me at least know where she is. I often give her a bit of a look and think, hmmm.........good thing you aren't all black or I might have a metaphorical issue with you!

I'm sure this has been shared before. Here it is again in case it hasn't been seen lately. I find it all too real. I had a black dog

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks, Lily Pad, for a very positive video.

The BD did look rather like a Lab, though!

(I'm not a dog person really, but Labradors - black or otherwise - are just so cute.)

IJ

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
simontoad [Votive]

Fredegund [Votive]

For all [Votive]

This puts a smile on my face.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Those are Lab puppies, cute as anything. To me the black dog is a feral animal such as farmers here dread. Quiet, can creep up with no one noticing. They attack the defenceless young in the paddocks and slink back into the shadows.

I have heard them when we had a bush property. A terrible howl coming at night from what seems to be far too close, but in reality is probably some valleys away. An answer would come from one, then another in the pack. Chilling sound.

To me the black dog of depression is much like these dogs.

My classic Black Dog is Sirius Black in the Harry Potter films. The scene where he appears briefly poking out of the bushes in the night is the big one.

--------------------
Human

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Those Labrador puppies were so cute they should probably be available on the NHS. Ditto the Newfoundland - what a lovely gentle giant!

Even the dog in Lily Pad's link had a sort of sad appeal.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Some years ago, a kind Shipmate sent me the book which the video brings to life. I appreciated it very much and found it useful.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Winston Churchill in picking up the Black Dog was drawing of rich seam of folklore. Please forget cuddly puppies.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Rich indeed (I recall being told all about the Mhoddy Dhoo on a visit to Peel Castle, IOM, many years ago).

I feel I ought to apologise for introducing Labrador puppies onto this thread! As I said, the words 'black dog' - regardless of connotations - simply conjure up in my mind's eye that most lovable of canines.....

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

TBH I hadn't heard the expression "black dog" meaning depression until I saw this thread, and the animal it conjured up in my mind was much more the creature in Jengie's link than anything cute and adorable.

As I said above, maybe the cute and adorable ones could act as an antidote.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

For those who are fortunate enough to possess such canine friends, I'm sure they do.

I did once, not so long ago, consider acquiring a Proper Dog. Alas, current health issues (I can't walk very far at a time without needing to rest) mean that I really couldn't look after a Proper Dog properly, IYSWIM.

Meanwhile, back on topic, [Votive] for all those whose Black Dog is causing problems....

IJ

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the best books I have read that depicts the feeling of depression is The Red Tree by Australian author/illustrator Shaun Tan.

It's the most powerful picture book I know and one I don't lend, but have given multiple copies.

Hia

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will second Huia's suggestion. Shaun Tan has produced many good illustrated books but the Red Tree is my favourite.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although our library system has several books by Shaun Tan, "The Red Tree" is not among them. A quick internet search turned up this version of it as a video project.

Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed watching it.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Yes but the book is richer still because there is important detail missing from that video.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Dog and his anxious cousin are snapping round my heels at the moment- prayer would be appreciated! Please.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Jengie, I think the idea of both video and book together is good, as in I had a black dog. I much prefer the book too, but am a verbal learner, not visual. I miss some visual clues, so words are important to me.

That is just my observation as that topic does not belong for discussion in this thread.

[ 30. November 2017, 19:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] BG [Votive]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bene Gesserit [Votive]

[ 01. December 2017, 07:28: Message edited by: MaryLouise ]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

[Votive] [Votive] Bene Gesserit

--------------------
Human

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

((BG)) ((Everyone))

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BG [Votive]
My BD doesn't really fit under the desk, but it's marginally easier if I put him under there and kick him periodically.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Jengie, I think the idea of both video and book together is good, as in I had a black dog. I much prefer the book too, but am a verbal learner, not visual. I miss some visual clues, so words are important to me.

That is just my observation as that topic does not belong for discussion in this thread.

Sorry to continue the tangent Loth, but I feel its really important to say that the video (which I haven't watched to the end) misses the point that each page show a tiny red leaf of hope that combines together to make the red tree at the end.

For me it is a central theme of the book, that when I am mired in the deepest despair that tiny hope may be there, even though I am not aware of it.

The reason I'm so passionate about the book is that it closely reflects my experience of depression and offers hope.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Huia, that missing leaf is important to the whole thing. I was meaning, sorry, that discussing personal differences like being visual or verbal, were not for this thread. The leaf is different.

I just re-read this some hours after writing. Sorry about any odd pictures in your minds about a missing leaf.

[ 02. December 2017, 00:21: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Black Dog is snuffling around....not sure why, but it's 2 years exactly since I was diagnosed with a brain tumour.

Recovering well, physically, I guess - but depression goes with the anti-seizure meds, and the hydrocortisone I have to take to keep me from having a possibly lethal adrenal crisis.

Dark evenings don't help, do they? Nice Mr. eBay sold me a daylight lamp (like a daylight box, but smaller). Not sure if it works for me, though.

[Votive] for all BD owners.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

{{{BF}}} [Votive]

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

[Votive] [Votive]

I was looking for a nifty rhyme like yours BF on the Miss Markle thread. To my shame, all I could come up with is:

Go well, Go Shell.

--------------------
Human

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

BF, don't underestimate the power of anniversaries for major life events. I know for death in a family, the second anniversary can be more stressful than the first (I'm not sure why, possibly because we erroneously think that we have finished grieving [Roll Eyes] ).

I have a difficult anniversary in March and every year I make a conscious effort to do something enjoyable for myself on that day, so in some way it also becomes the anniversary of the good experiences too, it doesn't cancel out the bad stuff, but it helps make it more bearable.

I would think that being diagnosed with a brain tumour would be a life changing event. however well it was treated.

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016