homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » chasing the Black Dog - a depression support thread (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: chasing the Black Dog - a depression support thread
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for you and your post is in exactly the right place. Prayers for professional help too for you, that it may be what you need right now.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praying for you IanC, especially for your spirit to find rest and peace and that you find a safe and supportive church family. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It makes perfect sense, IC. [Votive] that you can find healing and peace.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everything feels too much. I can't explain it here. I have hardly any hope and I wonder if that makes me a crap Christian, because I don't trust God to make anything better.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zooey, it sounds more as if you can't trust, which is a desolate, but quite involuntary, place to be in. [Votive] And many saints have been there.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very normal Christian. (((Zoey)))

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keeping you in my prayers, Zoey - perhaps when your own faith is faltering a bit it doesn't hurt to borrow a little from someone else.

[Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zoey [Votive]
Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

- Posted      Profile for Lia   Email Lia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praying for all here, especially Ian and Zoey [Votive]

I feel better now but my back dog is never too far from the door, so thinking of you and all those who lurk on this thread.

Posts: 127 | From: Cherry Tree Lane | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not feeling too good. i can't find my crisis action plan. I know it starts with thinking about and talking to people who love me. And it ends with going to hospital. But what's in the middle?

I have phoned a friend. I'm trying to do the right things.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EM [Votive]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
I'm not feeling too good. i can't find my crisis action plan. I know it starts with thinking about and talking to people who love me. And it ends with going to hospital. But what's in the middle?

I have phoned a friend. I'm trying to do the right things.

Does it include any reading? Or active stuff such as gardening? [Votive]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

E M [Votive] [Votive]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Mentioning it here is a good start; you can be assured you're in our prayers.

[Votive] that you feel better soon.

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EM [Votive]
Hope you find the missing middle. Funnily enough, having just fallen up the office stairs with a cup of black coffee, I feel much better. Perhaps I drowned the dog by accident!

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your support and prayers. After retreating to hide under the duvet yesterday afternoon, I'm now up and at it again....

Hope you are all doing OK

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

That's good to hear EM!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, EM! [Smile]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done EM. I find a strategic retreat can sometimes allow me to gather myself together to get into things again.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Middles.
A friend quoted Dante to me today and it rang the bells of EM's post, and I have found it in my bookshelf (a few liberties with this quote):
"In the middle of the journey of our life
I found myself in a dark wood
for I had lost the right path.
It is a hard thing to speak of
Of how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood was...
But I came forth, and once again beheld the stars"
And the shining world.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

[Overused]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for everyone here.

Wish life would make more sense to me. I see so many lost opportunities and bad decisions in my life, and there is just no time or place to do anything about them. (I'm 82, and giving up)

Where is God when you need him?

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

You are all you have to give, Nicodemia, and it will be enough. Hoping you find your way through the desert. [Votive]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(((Nicodemia)))

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decisions certainly have consequences but we can never know, in this life, what good we have done by a chance word or action as one of the consequences of one of our lost opportunities.

All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.

I think that sometimes we have to take God on trust even when our self rebels at the idea - and even when we rebel at the idea of God!

[ 16. July 2016, 13:33: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

[Votive]
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

((Nicodemia))
[Votive]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this thread needs retaining so I'm bumping it to avoid the Hostly Hoover.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

Very tired and increasingly detached

--------------------

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] EM.

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Teekeey Misha:
[Votive] EM.

Amen to that.

Depression is such a bastard!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{{{{everybody}}}}}

My Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD--a type of depression) is kicking in. I have meds, but keeping up with them can be hard.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

Thanks for prayers and hugs and the very useful reminder from GK that we may all need more light. Me for sure.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Totally agree, just upping my meds as well.
Prayers for all of us [Votive]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My own Black Dog has been hiding under the bed with the other monsters for some time, but recent health-related and church-related events are making him stir and growl a bit...

[Votive] for all with Black Dogs, or SAD (just as badly-behaved, ISTM).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

(((Nicodemia and all of us)))

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Prayers continuing to ascend for all on here; for those of you who suffer from SAD, are light-boxes of any use?

Having grown up as far north as I did (59°N), I got used to the short days of winter, and found that they were more than compensated for by the long summer evenings, but I fully accept that this was just good fortune.

Where we are now is about 46°N - the furthest south I've ever lived* - and I've been noticing the "nights drawing in" recently, although the only effect this usually has on me is that I realise I'm looking forward to that extra hour in bed on the last Sunday of October ... [Smile]

* Actually it's only a couple of degrees further south than St. John's, but it does seem that the evenings here started getting a little darker a little earlier.

[ 04. October 2016, 21:43: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Yes, lightboxes help, and medicine helps, and a long, long visit to sunny California helps most of all. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not if you live at the top of Skyline Cloudsuck Everfog Ridge. [Frown]

Yesterday it was too wet to go outside, just from drizzle. It sucked.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's spring here and, apart from the temperatures, the weather is worse than it was in winter.

I can cope with rain, but mist and drizzle are the pits. I try to go for a walk regardless of the weather because it lifts my mood. The bubble bath I have to warm me if I get cold and wet helps too.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

*switches light box on*

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in New Hampshire, I had mild SAD. An article in the paper suggested that people with SAD should spend at least a half-hour out of doors when the sun was at its highest. I did this, and it took care of the problem; it helped even on cloudy days.

Those with more severe SAD would probably benefit from this in addition to their other treatment.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My solution to the SAD issue is the opposite of Piglet's - by moving here to much nearer the equator I no longer face the short winter days - dawn to dusk in winter is about 11 hours (summer 13 hours) which I find manageable. The fact it is warm all year is just the icing on the cake!

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Not if you live at the top of Skyline Cloudsuck Everfog Ridge. [Frown]

Yesterday it was too wet to go outside, just from drizzle. It sucked.

Kelly, I don't know how dark Skyline Cloudsuck Everfog Ridge gets, but the amazing thing I noticed when I moved from SoCal to St. Louis is how freaking DARK the cloudy days are here in comparison. Like, 500% darker.

I think I'd gotten used to the light bouncing from the Pacific to the underside of the clouds out there. Here there is no Pacific to act as a mirror, and instead the streetlights try to figure out if they should come on.
[Disappointed]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
*switches light box on*

EM, every time I see your sig on a post it makes me grin. Even when you are taking shit, it casts a little ray of light into my day.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:
*switches light box on*

EM, every time I see your sig on a post it makes me grin. Even when you are taking shit, it casts a little ray of light into my day.

AG

Don't really know how to take that, but have a hug anyway *hug*

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have one right back from me, I don't need one right now, but I appreciate the thought, and I expect you need one too.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here I suppose. As in where to post my sudden tears of helplessness for Haiti. I don't know what to do. I just cry. Saying it. Where's the best donation site? Who's on the ground there?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

My church collection is using Tearfund as I understand they are on the ground (appropriate name, eh? [Tear] [Votive] )
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Doone.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016