homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my sort of pirate ... [Big Grin]

Yes, yes!

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer this pirate (I actually saw that production. As well as Tim Curry as the Pirate King, the performance I saw also had Pamela Stephenson as Mabel, George Cole as the Major General, Bonnie Langford as Kate and Michael Praed as Frederick)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
This is my sort of pirate ... [Big Grin]

Yes, yes!

Thanks, I like that pirate!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is World Gratitude Day.

So, thank you to everyone who has contributed to making the Ship the place that so many of us gain so much from. Everyone who has contributed to the discussions, the games, the creative silliness. Even those who posted the stuff we all disagree with, allowing us to hone our arguments for what we do believe in.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for the reminder, Alan. I did indeed have cause to be grateful and was glad to feel that way.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well said Alan - my life has been much more fun since the Ship became part of it.

Thanks everyone! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Elephant Appreciation Day! Have you hugged your elephant today?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Happy Elephant Appreciation Day! Have you hugged your elephant today?

Does the day still apply to the elephant in the room? [Biased]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It is almost two years since Miss M, my granddaughter was diagnosed with ALL, acute leukaemia. Still on chemo and will be for a while. However doctors are happy with the way things are going.

Today she turns 11 and will have a small party at a park this afternoon. She offers you a disposable cup which she has filled with multi coloured layers of different flavoured jelly. A very sweet tooth. She thanks you for prayers, as do her dad and I.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy birthday, Miss M - you keep on fighting!

[Smile]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is Drink Beer Day. Which seems pretty pointless, doesn't everyone drink beer everyday?

|     |
|     |--
|     |  |
|     |--
|     |
------

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have always liked wine but for a long time I did not like beer. I think this was a memory o 6:00 pm closing when I was a child. Drinkers would spill out of the pub and the place would stink of spilt beer.

Then my adult sons introduced me to boutique beers down here. Now I am a fan of the good stuff.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

For me, Wednesday is Drink Beer Day - I always have a pint after choir practice, but very rarely otherwise.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noted! I was given some very nice beer for my birthday, so I have a better reason than ever.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I have always liked wine but for a long time I did not like beer. I think this was a memory o 6:00 pm closing when I was a child. Drinkers would spill out of the pub and the place would stink of spilt beer.

Then my adult sons introduced me to boutique beers down here. Now I am a fan of the good stuff.

I still can't stand any beer (lager, cider, ale, bitter, stout, etc). The smell of it is repulsive and the taste abominable. [Projectile] Some wines are OK, but I hate the dry whites. What's the point of a drink that dries your mouth out like it's got sand in it?

Give me port or mead any day.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to my paper today is the International Day of Older Persons, so I suppose that might include me as a 66 year old.

Happy International Day of Older Persons [what a cumbersome title] to all who fit the criteria. I think I'll think of it as Old Fogies Day as it gives me more of an excuse to irascible - not that I've ever needed one being sweetness and light personified.

[Cool]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy Crumblies' Day? [Big Grin]

[tangent]
Am I alone in finding the plural "persons" a bit cumbersome? What's wrong with "people"?
[/tangent]

[ 01. October 2015, 03:30: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been getting promotional mail from Saga, who specializes in financial services for older folk, since I turned fifty.

I find it depressingly useful [Frown]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[pedant alert]
According to Google this is "Teacher's Day".

Yes, really. If you scroll over the Google doodle, you get a message saying "Teacher's Day 2015" (my bold).

I wonder which one of the x million teachers in the world is the one to be honoured this year?

You'd imagine an organisation the size of Google could afford to employ someone who understands the use of the apostrophe.
[/pedant alert]

However, assuming that it's not directed at one specific teacher, a great big "hello" to all the teachers out there - you're doing a great job and deserve all the recognition you can get.

[Overused]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a sign that we should all partake of a particular brand of whisky today. [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry Sipech - that particular brand of whisky is only useful for cleaning one's headlamps ... [Devil]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

It doesn't do a bad job of getting a BBQ going either.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Never thought of that - you learn something new every day. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
74 years ago today, 8th October 1941, a Royal Artillery Bombardier [or seargent?] married an Assistant Librarian and part time Can-Can dancer [yes, seriously] and subsequently they had three sons, of which I am the youngest - and prettiest.

Happy Anniversary to my Mum & Dad, long dead but never forgotten.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

'twas on a Saturday morning, after nigh on a two week delay, that my mother did give birth to a son.

An integer-power-of-2 years later, that son seems to have found himself posting on an internet forum that thinks its a boat.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Happy birthday, Sipech.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes indeed, you're looking good for 128!

Erm, okay, 64, you young thing, you.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Many happy returns, Sipech! [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Yes indeed, you're looking good for 128!

Erm, okay, 64, you young thing, you.

Same conclusion I reached.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Happy birthday tooo yoouuu Sipech! ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My mum would have been 88 today - hope you're having a GIN and tonic in Heaven, Mum. [Tear]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ever famous Neph turned 19 yesterday, and today was spent celebrating with pizza and various libations. Many years, Neph! [Axe murder]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Happy Birthday , Neph. It seems a while since I have heard of you on these boards. Have a great day.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
74 years ago today, 8th October 1941, a Royal Artillery Bombardier [or seargent?] married an Assistant Librarian and part time Can-Can dancer [yes, seriously] and subsequently they had three sons, of which I am the youngest - and prettiest.

Happy Anniversary to my Mum & Dad, long dead but never forgotten.

I missed this earlier but it does account for your legs, which you have mentioned. [Biased]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Hot and Hormonal] - but these days the varicosing is marring the effect a bit.

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You'll just have to wear thicker stockings ... [Devil]

Happy birthday, Neph! [Smile]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
You'll just have to wear thicker stockings ... [Devil]

Huh, I don't even think he owns a pair!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's true, I rarely wear very much.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sadder anniversary - 49th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster [Votive]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
A sadder anniversary - 49th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster [Votive]

A friend posted this on FB yesterday. I was at school 2,000 miles away and the headteacher told us about Aberfan at morning assembly next day (which allowing for time differences would be 49 years right now, almost to the minute). Many of us had already heard about it on the radio but to hear about it in the school context was very powerful.

[Votive] A community still mourning.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Such disasters affect not only families but communities for years.

[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, a schoolfriend had been home for lunch, I think, and brought back the news - it was a very quiet classroom that afternoon.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A year ago, Parliament Hill was under attack by a lone gunman. He killed one soldier and was slaughtered in return. There was a ceremony to mark this at the National War Memorial.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today would have been my wife Kristi's 65th birthday. Hardly seems possible. Memory eternal, dear.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Today is the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt, in celebration of which we had some nicely mediaeval-sounding organ music this morning.

Full-time score: England 1, France 0. [Devil]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday was our 41st wedding anniversary [Yipee] - there were times when I was sure we'd never make it, but here we are. Thank you to God and to everyone else who has supported us on this journey!

Mrs. S, rejoicing again [Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Congratulations Mr and Mrs S.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Loth!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations from over here too! [Smile]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a certain affection for St Ercus, whose feast day is celebrated on 2nd November.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016