homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its 5 years since I lost my other half and it feels as raw now as it did then. [Votive]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] L'organist [Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks WW. Had a long skype with the children (on their travels at the moment) which cheered me up a bit.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May 23rd is the 17th annual World Turtle day!

Hug your turtle today!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
... Hug your turtle today!

If I had one, I absolutely would. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Towel Day! I totally forgot to have my towel with me today. [Frown]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

I can't take mine out today. It is outside in the sun drying.
[Waterworks]

Yes, I do have more than one, but this one is my favourite.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Wikipedia noted that, but not that it was Ascension Day. It did not remember Anzac Day either.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
June 6th is, of course, the anniversary of D-day, the Allied invasion of Normandy.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Nicole. I thought of that yesterday, but forgot to come over here and note it. Now the 7th downunder.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wishing The Prince Philip a happy 96th birthday.

And it appears to be HMQ's official birthday. Was it sunny and warm in UK for Trooping the Colour?

[ 10. June 2017, 17:43: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Queen's Birthday long weekend down in NSW this weekend, Pete.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, we all owe you the Most Humble Apologies - yesterday was World Gin Day!

I hope you can see your way to forgiving us.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I might manage that, WW. [Big Grin]

I noticed something about it on Facebook, but I must confess to not having observed it myself. Having said that, we're having some friends round for supper this evening, and we have the GIN, the tonic, the ice and the lemon, so I think it would be an appropriate aperitif.

[Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Fifteen years ago today, my SIL died, leaving my brother and their son who was ten at the time. Nephew struggled for quite a while but is now doing well.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

It's Father's Day in the US.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooops, missed this one. And, it's especially for Chorister. Yesterday was National Cream Tea Day

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

And over on this side of the pond, it's Canada's 150th birthday. [Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A day to leave the candles burning and not blow them out, Perhaps some light from them will head south?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If only ... [Big Grin]

In other news, 29 years ago today, D. and I plighted our troth according to the rites of the Book of Common Prayer.

[Axe murder]

Very appropriate as it was also Thomas Cranmer's 499th birthday.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Congratulations to you both.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sixty-nine years ago today my late parents were married; sixty-eight years ago today my late sister was baptized in the same church.
[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy 241st birthday to the USofA!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Happy 241st birthday to the USofA!

And to me! Birthday that is, not 241st......
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy birthday Lucia, and happy birthday USA! [Smile]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC News this morning informed me that it's the 80th anniversary of the launch of a certain canned meat

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow this got missed, apparently World Chocolate Day was yesterday. Apparently, there are at least six reasons why Chocolate is good for you and that is from India.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
... there are at least six reasons why Chocolate is good for you ...

I wish I liked dark chocolate more than I do - all the things about it being good for you seem refer to dark rather than milk chocolate.

Eating milk chocolate makes me smile - surely that can't be bad, can it? [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Because it is one of my triggers for migraine so I have had to learn to dislike it - but I have no animosity towards those who enjoy it.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee D mentioned the possible benefits of dark chocolate on the Parkinsons thread last August. Being concerned about eventual Parkinsons (hereditary), and loving chocolate, I decided to do more research. It seems that dark chocolate can indeed be beneficial for lots of reasons, which is the happiest medical advice I've ever found, so I now have two squares of dark chocolate every morning. And I can justify it as being healthy!
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I love the dark chocolate. Darker the better. Am now enjoying the 85% and also the 90%. Yum, Yum.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One time when hosts were given chocolate, someone sent me an African chocolate that was 100% cocoa. It wasn't sweet, but it wasn't bitter either. I would love to have some of that again.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

This morning I read that "allons enfants de la patrie" is Aussie for "c'mon kids. We're having a party." Be that as it may, today is 14th July down here. Bastille Day and a reason for a party.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*sings loudly*

Happy Birthday to yous
Happy birthday to yous
Happy Birthday, dear twins
Happy Birthday to yous

*hem hem* [Hot and Hormonal]

Hope weasel Uncle didn't eat ALL your cake.

[ 16. July 2017, 13:50: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Pete, please don't sing!*

The cake was 60 cms square and I got one of the first pieces but it was horribly sweet, or two sweet for me - sponge cakes with a soft frosting. I think the twins were a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing but they seemed to have a good time. Probably a couple or three hundred turned up. Unsurprisingly V father of the other V was first to turn up to help - he was about the last to leave as well. I absented myself a couple of times for a lie down - I'm not as young as I used to was!

Bliss when everyone had gone - I think there should be a moment after a while when the Host can stand up and say:

quote:
Right, it's all over, thanks for coming, thanks for the gifts, now just bugger off the lot of you!
*For the uninitiated Pete's singing reminds me in some ways of the Late Great and much lamented Florence Foster Jenkins!

[ 16. July 2017, 15:45: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Many happy returns, twinlets! [Yipee]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Happy birthday to the twins.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Happy Birthday to my father. 100 today. I still miss you, Dad.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My dad's birthday is next Sunday - he would have been 105! Similarly missed every day.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Today is the Feast day of St. Anne, mother of the Blessèd Virgin Mary, or (as she was known in Belfast Cathedral, which is dedicated to her), The Lord's Most Holy Granny*.

[Smile]

* When we were in Belfast we and some friends from St. George's parish church had a pub-quiz team called the Dragons and Grannies. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

And a happy birthday to horses everywhere.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Happy birthday to my beautiful Daughter-Unit!
She was pleased to be carded twice this week; yesterday at an R rated movie where she was told she had to be 18 to see the movie, and two days before that when she bought an adult beverage.

She is thirty today! [Big Grin] [Axe murder] [Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy birthday, Daughter-Unit! [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yay, Happy Birthday from here, too!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today is Assistance Dog Day, which will appeal at least to Boogie but, I'm sure, many other Shipmates as well, including me.

It is also International Beer Day, which may also appeal to a Shipmate or two.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Today is Assistance Dog Day, which will appeal at least to Boogie but, I'm sure, many other Shipmates as well, including me.

It is also International Beer Day, which may also appeal to a Shipmate or two.

I'm sure there are assistance dogs that know the way to the pub, which is a double celebration!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Assistance dogs do a wonderful job, no matter what it may be. [Biased]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely.

Anyone seen Spike, or is he out celebrating International Beer Day? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today is the Feast of the Blessed Uncle Pete! Not quite a National holiday in Canada but...

Happy Birthday Pete!

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Happy birthday, Uncle Pete!! [Axe murder]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016