homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » World Cup 2014: The truly global party (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: World Cup 2014: The truly global party
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm glad. Couldn't be dealing with all those fake Brazil fans. There's a lot of them over here.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You are such a cheerful soul.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Almost eight nil, but someone fluffed the finish.

And Brazil have now finally scored - a little late ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Tis over, Germany win seven one.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only question is how will the final go for Germany? So many times I have seen a team find it difficult to score in the next game after scoring so many.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
You are such a cheerful soul.

[Big Grin] That's football. West Ham and England I like. All other teams I hate. It's just a matter of degree. I just happen to hate Brazil more than Germany.

[ 08. July 2014, 21:56: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Almost eight nil, but someone fluffed the finish.

And Brazil have now finally scored - a little late ...

I've never seen someone look so depressed after scoring a goal.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Germany completely ROTFLstomps a back-broken Brazil.

To add insult to injury, Klose scores to overtakes Ronaldo as the best World Cup scorer ever (and he has one more game to go...).

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Funny as fuck!
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

MOTD music for the credits was an amusing choice - most depressing version of everyone wants to rule the world ever.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
Did Brazil think the party-mood and passion would simply win the day . Seems they either didn't turn up or somehow forgot the golden rule of competition, that being -- Never underestimate your opposition .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blimey. That was like watching a (very high speed0 game of chess between Kasparov and ... me. I never realised my jinxing powers were so powerful. [Eek!]

Tomorrow: Argentina to demolish the Netherlands. Probably 8-1, with Messi scoring 6 in the first 15 minutes. The Dutch goal will result from a Robben dive in the last minute. By then, the ref will be feeling sufficiently sorry for him to award it.

(Ad Orientem, I agree. I supported Germany due to their good taste in shirts - red & black hoops = QPR away)

[ 08. July 2014, 22:15: Message edited by: Cod ]

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watching on delay, but it got to the point where I thought I didn't even have to avoid this thread. Apparently I have 3 goals to go.

That was/is ridiculous. I mean, I thought for the first part of the tournament that Brazil were riding their luck and Neymar, but against Chile and Colombia I thought they'd improved.

Apparently not. The first goal was sloppy, but we've seen that level of sloppiness from other teams in the tournament. Not a good sign, but not fatal.

The second goal also was not good. But it's the third and fourth goals straight after that were absurd. Within a minute, minute and a half: game restarts after goal, Germany nicks ball, Germany strolls ball up to within range, Germany does a pass or two, Germany scores. Twice.

No team has played that badly in the entire tournament. And I've watched all 60 matches before this one.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PS It just became 6-0, and the score down the bottom of the TV screen had to scroll to fit all the different goalscorers. That's when you know how far you've sunk, when your opponents' goalscorers don't fit without scrolling.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm gobsmacked.

With the benefit of hindsight, it always looked as if Germany had a couple more gears to shift into and that Brazil didn't. So a German victory hasn't surprised me. Nor the ineptitude of the likes of David Luiz (already looking like the best bit of business that Chelsea have done in a long, long time. PSG must be wondering what they have let themselves in for).

But 7-1!? How can a team that bad have got through to the World Cup semi finals?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

I'd love to see Cesar go out on a high after the way QPR treated him. But the rest of his team is despicable.

Pah.

They didn't let him train in a World Cup year. That's pathetic. He had to train in the park with his son.

Not necessary.

As for Green, different opinions.

And I don't trust the Independent that much.

A bit too closs to Harry.

[ 08. July 2014, 23:49: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
But 7-1!? How can a team that bad have got through to the World Cup semi finals?

They lost two key players, and apparently they did not have the depth / team spirit to make up for it. Before, they did have those two players... And they ran into Germany having a good day.

We will see how well Argentina plays without Di Maria.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd love to see Cesar go out on a high after the way QPR treated him. But the rest of his team is despicable.

Pah.

They didn't let him train in a World Cup year. That's pathetic. He had to train in the park with his son.

Not necessary.

As for Green, different opinions.

And I don't trust the Independent that much.

A bit too closs to Harry.

Really? Did he use jumpers for goalposts? I bet they were expensive ones.

--------------------
M Barnier

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy shit.

I turned off the TV after the second goal (I was supposed to be w*rking, after all, but more to the point, it was about as exciting as watching a cat play with a mouse) and by the time I got back to my desk it was 4-0. 5-0 seconds later.

The more I see of the Great Powers, the better I feel about the future of US football. The world is flat, or getting there. Germany was awesome, however--last time, I predicted they'd kick ass in 2014, and they're on track to do it. I really liked the "no superstars" team approach. For the first several matches they just seemed a bit mechanical, but now they're opening up. Of course, Brazil's defense shambling like zombies made it easy.... Too bad they didn't have Tim Howard in goal--it would only have been 3-1.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

I don't agree. Julio Cesar stopped it from being even worse. The problem was the defenders in front of him. From the Graun:

quote:
With the exception of some top drawer pre-match pointing, shirt waving and anthem singing, David Luiz has been shocking tonight. He looks like some hungover git from the Dog & Duck who's won a competition to play in a World Cup semi-final for Brazil. He was once again at fault for that goal, which by my estimation, makes him culpable for no fewer than six of the seven his team has shipped tonight.
Ouch.

--------------------
M Barnier

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose Julio Cesar and Oscar weren't actually bad, but Julio was no star and Oscar merely looked OK by comparison.

To be honest Brazil were no worse than poor for about 80 of the 90 minutes. For a ten minute spell however they were absolutely shocking and made me realise that England have a decent side after all. I don't think I have ever seen both sides leave the field at half-time looking like the match is over.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

More than that, I'm sure I saw Jogi Low smile when Germany score, rather than his usual electric shock face.

The funniest bit was when Germany scored their sixth. Silence round the stadium, and Germany celebrated in true 1950s style, that is to say, not really celebrating.

--------------------
M Barnier

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

They lost two key players, and apparently they did not have the depth / team spirit to make up for it. Before, they did have those two players... And they ran into Germany having a good day.

We will see how well Argentina plays without Di Maria.

Sure Brazil took the field without their best attacker and their best organiser of a defence, and Thiago Silva was certainly missed by a totally unorganised defence. But there are so many talented ball-players in Brazil, it's hard to believe that Brazil of all places didn't have enough depth to cover for those missing players. We're not talking about a small country like (say) Costa Rica with a relatively small pool of players.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it's the icing on the cake of an excellent World Cup. It was surreal, but very enjoyable.

I suppose the final will be an anti-climax now; but maybe not.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After successfully predicting the results of the first 11 playoff games, our youngest son has crashed and burned on the last two. I'm glad he is at choir school where he would have missed yesterday's debacle.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Well, it's the icing on the cake of an excellent World Cup. It was surreal, but very enjoyable.

I suppose the final will be an anti-climax now; but maybe not.

You realise there is still another semi final to go, right?
Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sons and their friends take it as a given that Argentina will be in the final - but only because they'll hack and cheat their way there.

They may be too young to remember Rattin (1966) or Maradona (1986) but the legends live on...

Germany were magnificent:
Final should be Germany=Netherlands with Germany winning 2-0

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
My sons and their friends take it as a given that Argentina will be in the final - but only because they'll hack and cheat their way there.

I have two names for you... Arjen Robben and Nigel De Jong.

I'm sure NDJ is capable of putting it about in equal measure to any Argie, especially if it means taking out Messi.

And AR will go down at the slightest look from an Argie, and he's very, very good at it.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
12/12 for my predictions!

I sat on the fence for Argentina v Holland. That's where I am still sitting (although tottering towards the Dutch). If Holland stop Messi, then I can't see Argentina having much of a chance.

Like Germany v Brazil, I get the impression that Holland still have a few extra gears to move into if necessary, but Argentina don't.

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm hoping for 8 goals again! Holland 5 Argies 3 with a Messi hat trick!

Won't happen and I'm not going to say who WILL win, but I WANT the Dutch to win.

I do love Messi though. I hope we buy him and Arjen Robben. And Tony Kroos.

Luverly!

Anyway, the diversion is nearly over. Sunday and the whole overblown, over-hyped shebbang will be over for a few more years. I do prefer the regularity - monotony? - of a league season to the big tournaments. I don't know if I'm alone in that but I find it reassuring in way that on blustery, rainy Saturdays, if we lose there is always next Saturday. Of course as a ManYoo fan I'm not really used to that either; it's usually a feeling of well we won today and we'll win again next Saturday as well. But you get my drift.

Is that the mark of a real fan, an idiot or someone who's just read "Fever Pitch" too many times?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the spectacle as much as the next man, but I don't feel it truly replaces the week-in-week-out optimism-and-pessimism of club football. Perhaps if there was a transfer window in the world cup, between the group stages and the second round it might be better!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GOOOOAAAL!

Nah, just kidding. [Razz]

I think they're doing the national anthems now. May the best team win. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the spectacle as much as the next man, but I don't feel it truly replaces the week-in-week-out optimism-and-pessimism of club football. Perhaps if there was a transfer window in the world cup, between the group stages and the second round it might be better!

Watch the football !!!

[ 09. July 2014, 20:10: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
GOOOOAAAL!

Nah, just kidding. [Razz]

I think they're doing the national anthems now. May the best team win. [Smile]

May the best team win? There's no place for being non-partisan in football. [Biased] Hopefully Holland will stuff the dirty Argies.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

And its nil nil going into extra time.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One for the purists.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Holland should have subbed their goalkeeper ...

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Called it, it's Germany vs. Argentina.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So. A final where the teams have a Pope each.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Shit! Bollocks! Fuck! I ain't watching that final. Worst World Cup ever!
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ha! Makes me re-think what comes to mind when someone says "hand of God" in this context.

[Edit: was responding to Firenze.]

[ 09. July 2014, 23:09: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Really? Did he use jumpers for goalposts? I bet they were expensive ones.

You tube video about his preperation
Cesar took a contract that was offered. Then he was treated like crud because of that contract.

Admittedly reality is probably between your opinion and what is on this video.

But the idea that he only cares about money is false.

[ 10. July 2014, 00:02: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Holland should have subbed their goalkeeper ...

They needed to have saved a sub so they could sub their goalkeeper. I wonder what the calculation is on that: sub during regular play in hopes of getting a goal, or assume it's going to go to penalty kicks and save the sub for then?

I'm wondering which Brazil team will show up on Saturday: the one that got them to the semifinals, or the one that played the semifinal? They'll have Thiago Silva back, so maybe that's the essential key to their defense.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kind of uninspiring, I'd say. The question is, will Messi show up on Sunday? (He was a bit of a phantom menace today). Will the Argentine defense be the same one we saw today? Will the German offense be the one that thrashed Brazil, or the one that barely beat USA?

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

Oh, and the whole thing was a foregone conclusion when it went to penalties. There is very conclusive research demonstrating that a goalie wearing a green jersey may as well go have a lie-down by the far post as try to stop anything (if you want to prevail in a PK shootout, wear red--but anything is better than green),

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Oh, and the whole thing was a foregone conclusion when it went to penalties. There is very conclusive research demonstrating that a goalie wearing a green jersey may as well go have a lie-down by the far post as try to stop anything (if you want to prevail in a PK shootout, wear red--but anything is better than green),

I'm old fashioned. i think players should shake hands to celebrate goals, referees should wear black and goalkeepers should be made to wear green jerseys with 1 on the back!

Then 100% of penalty shootouts would be won with a goalkeeper wearing green.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by Firenze
quote:
So. A final where the teams have a Pope each.
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile, Luis Suárez has signed for Barcelona for €75 million. Unbelievable Jeff!

(And yes, despite the title, this is still a thread for general football discussion as well. The title change was meant to entice extra participation. [Smile] )

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

A good deal for Liverpool. They get 75 million for someone who can't play until October.

Bad news for Suarez. Liverpool were prepared to give him the support and help he needs. I doubt that Barca will go to such lengths.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Will the German offense be the one that thrashed Brazil, or the one that barely beat USA?

How are they different teams? The Brazilians played so poorly it is difficult to imagine anyone not thrashing them that day.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

There's no doubt that Brazil made Germany look good. But over all, Germany have been the side that has shown most talent and ambition so far. I don't think any one can deny that they would be worthier champions than Argentina, whose limitations are glaringly obvious. Stop Messi and you stop Argentina. In contrast, any one of 4 or 5 Germans could put in a match-winning performance.

Whilst I would be happy to be proved wrong, I don't think this will be a classic final. I can't see Argentina changing their game plan, which will be to play very conservatively and hope to get the ball to Messi in space at least once or twice. As a result, the Germans will find that they have no space to play expansively. Equally, they will have to keep a close watch on Messi. Unless the Germans score early on and force the Argentines to open up a bit, I think this will be grim watching.

It's going to be strange, as a Brit, to be cheering on the Germans.... [Eek!]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016