homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 50)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many happy returns, Daisydaisy! [Yipee]

I've never been to a humanist funeral, but my nephew had a humanist wedding which was all right, I suppose, but definitely lacking something. And it has to be said (by the wife of an organist) that these secular ceremonies* are doing decent, hard-working organists out of their livelihood.

The cookie exchange party done (although I discovered when I got there that I'd said I would bring a loaf to eat with lunch, which I completely forgot about [Hot and Hormonal] ) - nice lunch and chat with friends. Now have a huge gift-bag full of assorted wee buns and truffles, most of which I probably won't like. Will probably take most of them in to w*rk on Monday and foist them on my unsuspecting colleagues ...

Haven't done much else today except organise Christmas cards, to which D. is adding The Letter™. By our standards, that's Very Organised Indeed.

[Angel]

* We regularly see pictures in The Orcadian newspaper of people who were married in pagan ceremonies at the Ring of Brodgar.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
He is worried you are only going to give him two meals a day...

He'd just raid the biscuit barrel or wheel himself along to the fridge and look for my very own, personal supply of cheese - this would not be good for discipline!

Cycling for the third consecutive morning - after about 80% of the trip my left knee started playing up so I had to slow down but I carried on and then after a few minutes it realised I meant business and started to behave again.

Weird things, bodies.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
but my nephew had a humanist wedding
What's the difference between a humanist wedding and a perfectly ordinary wedding, either in a Register Office/specific location with Registrar in attendance (as they have to)?

I was married in a Register Office, as at the time as I was absolutely not a Christian, but I didn't want to get married in a church and be a hypocrite!

Personally, I'm all in favour of everyone having to have a civil ceremony to make things legal and a religious ceremony afterwards if they are practising members of that religious organisation.

(I'm trying to be all-inclusive here!)

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe that is what happens in France and it certainly seems a pretty good idea to me - it would save an awful lot of faffing about.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy belated birthday daisydaisy.

Had a great time at the party last night, consumed lots of wine and made a huge profit on the roulette wheel [Big Grin] off to church in a little while and then we can potter around Cambridge as we still don't have our children back! Yippee!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Hot and Hormonal]

Sorry, daisydaisy, belated Happy Birthday from all of us, too.

Heavenly Anarchist - if you leave the phone off the hook then the kidnappers can't contact you with ransom demands [Biased]

[spelkimf -again!]

[ 07. December 2014, 08:40: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Two cycle rides a day for three days running! But tomorrow there will be no morning ride as I want to catch an early bus into The Big City but hopefully I will get a ride tomorrow afternoon, even if only into town and back.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
((Daisydaisy)) - we don't have an emoticon for a birthday candle, ao this will have to do! [Axe murder]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
... What's the difference between a humanist wedding and a perfectly ordinary wedding, either in a Register Office/specific location with Registrar in attendance (as they have to)?

I've only ever been to one registry office wedding, and AFAIK it followed whatever the prescribed pattern was. IIRC my nephew's wedding (which was held in a ruined castle) had bits of poetry and prose chosen by the bride and groom (apart from what's presumably required by law), and a musical offering from members of a band my nephew had been in. The officiant was a member of the Humanist Society licensed to perform weddings.

Today being the second Sunday in Advent, we had the Great Litany in procession (which I always enjoy), and This is the record of John by Gibbons (with solo piglet) which I enjoy even more.

[Yipee]

[ 08. December 2014, 02:33: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I defy anyone hearing that Gibbons not to have a conversion experience on the spot.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
quote:
but my nephew had a humanist wedding
What's the difference between a humanist wedding....
In June my cousin followed her May registry office ceremony with a non-religious celebration where she came into to the room to her choir singing "Ubi caritas" [Killing me]
This was followed by the couple saying really lovely things to each other and a couple of their friends reading poetry. Then a self-appointed humanist/pagan (?) priest took them through some promises, we sang "Islands in the Stream" (apparently this was ironic [Confused] ) as in Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, and we all went out into the glorious sunshine to his drumming band beating away. Later on we explored the farm we were spending the weekend on and partook of skinny dipping. All absolutely fantastic, and perfect.

[ 08. December 2014, 07:50: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daisy Daisy, that sounds a really lovely wedding, humanist or not! I can see that something like that is far, far removed from the brief "do" at a register Office, so thanks everyone, for bringing me up to date!

BTW - very belated happy Birthday!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gee D
See my post in hell - there are people immune to the Gibbons, alive and well and living in rural England.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I believe that is what happens in France and it certainly seems a pretty good idea to me - it would save an awful lot of faffing about.

That’s right. The only marriage that the French state recognises is the one carried out at the Town Hall by the mayor. It has to be performed in the commune when one partner or their parents are domiciled, and is fairly short and perfunctory. The mayor reads out the relevant bits of the Civil Code (a deeply romantic text, as you can imagine), there are short vows and you sign the papers. You can exchange rings if you want to, but most people, like us, keep that for their religious ceremony.

After that you can go off for any kind of religious ceremony you feel like in the name of the deity of your choice. You do have to have the civil wedding first – the priest / rabbi / imam / pastor / whoever may refuse to carry out the religious ceremony if you can’t show them a copy of the marriage certificate.

We are having the civil ceremony at the Mairie of foie gras land. The religious ceremony is going to be in the garden of the chateau where the rest of the shindig is being held (we have a plan B – covered terrace – if ever it should rain). We are not going with a church building to avoid diplomatic incidents with members of said church that we hardly know and don’t want to invite [Two face] .

I think separating the legal/religious bits is quite a good system, personally.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Today being the second Sunday in Advent, we had ... This is the record of John by Gibbons (with solo piglet) which I enjoy even more.

[Yipee]

I love that, but I've only heard it "live" once: on a school choir trip to Berlin back in 1971. It was sung by the "best" bit of the choir, which I wasn't in! (We had all sung Bach's B Minor Mass the night before, though).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belated Happy Birthday Daisydaisy. Hope the flute course made it feel like a birthday treat, even if no one else knew.

My uncle had a Humanist Funeral as did my dad. My dad's we did ourselves, and I was too close to it to know if it worked or not. He'd planned most of it including getting British Waterways to hack a path from the canal to the crem so we could take his coffin on his boat. Didn't think much to the celebrant at my uncle's. Do Humanist Celebrants have training or are they self-appointed? Either way it was conducted in the manner of a rather dull businees meeting.

I was in bed all day yesterday, feeling vile. Feel a lot better today, but I've not gone to work and intend to stay in mollycoddling myself and writing cards.

[ 08. December 2014, 10:26: Message edited by: Sarasa ]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Gee D
See my post in hell - there are people immune to the Gibbons, alive and well and living in rural England.

For an awful moment I thought you were calling us to Hell for liking the Gibbons ... [Killing me]

I posted on Facebook last night about singing it, and ended up having the most wonderfully silly "live" conversation with a friend in Orkney (who was up very late having had a drink or two) where we were reminiscing about learning it, and quoting the words, with his spelling getting more and more outrageous. It sounds daft (which it sort of was) but I was actually, physically laughing out loud.

I may well send him a message asking how his head is today ... [Big Grin]

[ 08. December 2014, 13:47: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In many ways, humanist or other civil weddings are at least honest - God is not mentioned because the couple have no interest in Him. I suppose, logically, that is also the answer for those who want a totally non-spiritual funeral - it just seemed so empty and hopeless. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
i got married in Italy, in a purely civil ceremony. It sounds similar to the French one - we had to agree to the relevant parts of the Italian constitution (mostly about having a mutually compatible residence, if I recall). We had our own vows, but there wasn't really a slot for them.

I've been to lots of civil weddings, and one humanist funeral. The deceased had emphatically rejected the catholicism of her childhood, and the service reflected her beliefs that that was it. I imagine she helped choose some of it. The leader was good - better than some (ahem) clergy I've heard (though presumably without whatever formal training theological college/seminary/whatever gives folk with dog collars on how to take a funeral well*) and left space to 'remember' the deceased in whatever way suited the people present.

Lovely day here in Hampshire. I've made cranberry sauce, ordered meat for Christmas from a new butchers, which is suspiciously like the old (favourite of mine) butchers which closed down in the same town eighteen months ago but in a different location. And as it is a Monday, my day off (despite working for a bit of it), ferijenet got to choose what to do - so, swimming and a trip to the zoo it was. Surprising how many animals didn't seem to mind the low temperatures and were happy outside.

*tip - check the deceased's name in advance. And her husband's. And by 'in advance', I suggest not asking her grandson-in-law as the coffin draws up...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
In many ways, humanist or other civil weddings are at least honest ...

Absolutely, and I admire people for avoiding the hypocrisy of "using" the church because it's got a pretty building/good organist ( [Big Grin] )/whatever.

They say that confession is good for the soul, so here goes:

I put up the C*******s decorations today. I already had the Advent lights in the window (which is fine), but I don't usually put up the rest until after D's birthday (on the 10th). However, we're having a friend over for supper on Tuesday evening, and I was tidying and dusting ( [Eek!] ) and I thought, I may as well put them up and make the place look pretty ...

Thank you for listening - that feels better. [Smile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We haven't even bought the tree yet!

Mr Boogs has decided to start decorating - the brush and paint sort! So we have ladders and dust sheets for that Christmassy look!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Mr Boogs has decided to start decorating - the brush and paint sort! So we have ladders and dust sheets for that Christmassy look!

[Roll Eyes]

Tie some tinsel around ladders, dye drop sheets red or green and you will have avant-garde decorations. Take some pictures and put them up on Pinterest etc and who knows where your decorations will go!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After a disastrous building project some years ago we had two -2 Christmasses with acro ceiling supports in the middle of the dining room.

They can be made to look quite festive with tinsel, spray glitter, etc...

As for decorating the house, I must confess that after we were given possibly the worlds biggest set of lights some years ago and persuaded by the children to put them up, they've never come down, so the downstairs of 1 small cottage has 2,000 lights winding along the ceilings, etc... We use them at Christmas and they're also turned on for birthdays.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
We haven't even bought the tree yet ...

I bought and decorated the tree several years ago and each year it gets its bin-bag taken off and its lights* switched on. It's quite common here to be given tree ornaments as presents, so they sometimes get added to it, but otherwise it's no bother at all. [Hot and Hormonal]

L'organist - you have my sympathy re: disastrous building projects. This is our third Christmas of having at least part of the house in bits. There's still a pile (admittedly quite a neat pile) of the builder's bits and bobs in the hallway, covered in a dust sheet. Maybe I should dye it red and drape it in one of those networks of fairy-lights ... [Big Grin]

However, at least the sitting-room, dining-room and kitchen are habitable, and we have one functioning bathroom, so I suppose it could be a lot worse.

* all white - I don't mind coloured lights in other places (the city council drapes very pretty ones around the trees here), but for myself I prefer white.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
We haven't even bought the tree yet ...

I bought and decorated the tree several years ago and each year it gets its bin-bag taken off and its lights* switched on. It's quite common here to be given tree ornaments as presents, so they sometimes get added to it, but otherwise it's no bother at all. [Hot and Hormonal]

* all white - I don't mind coloured lights in other places (the city council drapes very pretty ones around the trees here), but for myself I prefer white.

I prefer white too, but I cannot abide blue lights at Xmas. Too reminiscent of modern cars driven by Clarkson wannabes.

Have I called this to Hell a couple or seven times? Very probably.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

The church is being decorated tomorrow, as we have our Christingle on Sunday. We had the carnival Band doing their Carols and Capers concert last Advent, which involved putting fairy lights along the rood sctreen. This actually looked lovely, and definitely not naf, so our vicar has decided to do it for this year and also to have candle lanterns inside and out. It shoul;d look very nice.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

We're getting new carpet through most of the house next week (cue massive de cluttering nightmare to fit in between now and Monday) so won't think about Christmas decorations til after then, but I'm a weekend before Christmas girl now. Last year we got a real tree from B&Q for £1 (having gone in with the intention to buy a reduced fake one) so may try that again...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was a child, we never had a Christmas tree at home until term finished (my dad being head of the adjoining school - our tree was the School Tree!). Then, for several years, our tree never got put up until after the Scout Group's Senior Citizens' Party (guess why?) Now, I can't bring myself to get the trees put up till ages after everyone else in the road [Roll Eyes] though I love having the lighted tree in the front window.

L'organist, your lights sound lovely - one year, for some reason, I stuck a whole lot of white lights in the roof of the conservatory and it looked like fairyland (all together - aaaahhhh!) [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, the only Bah! Humbug! house in the road
[Killing me]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We haven't bought our tree yet, might get it this weekend. I love decorating the tree.
There's huge colourful displays up on some houses on the estate already, including in the gardens. I might put some white twinkly lights up in my study tomorrow [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

For those of you unfortunate enough to get American television stations, if you want naff, is this naff enough for you?? [Devil]

Have just cleared away the last dish (apart from the ones in the washing-up machine) after having a friend round for supper. Though I say it what shouldn't, the paella I made went down a treat (as did the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc we drank with it).

Am now zonked. [Snore]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
For those of you unfortunate enough to get American television stations, if you want naff, is this naff enough for you?? [Devil]

Oh my [Ultra confused]

Trying to keep my fingers warm and brain awake ready for my flute exam in a couple of hours. Hopefully it'll go better than yesterday's lesson when both fingers & brain froze.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Well, that went well, despite a few hiccups. Now the waiting begins. Last time I heard the same day.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Fingers crossed, DD. [Smile]

I don't think I ever got instrumental exam results on the same day. In fact, the results of my very first one (Grade 1 fiddle, 19-seventy-something) got lost, and I waited the whole summer for them (it being my first one, I had no idea how long they were supposed to take). At some point towards the end of the summer holidays, my fiddle teacher (who was certifiably barmy) phoned with her abject apologies; for some reason my results (Merit, IIRC) had slipped down behind her washing-machine ... [Ultra confused]

They arrived in the post a couple of days later, with some interesting smudges. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went out for a seafood lunch today only to find the restaurant, and half the street, had been knocked out by a power cut the night before and the only thing they could do was drinks and cold food.

Went away and had lunch elsewhere instead and looked round Oxford's Christmas Market. I'm sure it was half the size of last year's, but still quite pretty.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D. and I went out for a late lunch/early supper this afternoon to celebrate his birthday, which was yesterday. Wednesday is too complicated for celebrations, with his organ recital at lunch-time and choir practice in the evening, although most of the choir came to the pub after choir practice and we had a CAKE (there's some left over - help yourselves).

And we seem to have acquired a new tenor for the choir! [Yipee]

My w*rk lunch is tomorrow; we're going to Milestones, so that should be rather good (especially as I've got a voucher for ½ off the cost of a starter because I filled in an on-line survey).

I may not be all that coherent later tomorrow, but I promise I'll try to behave ... [Devil]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You have to pay for your work Christmas lunch???? [Eek!]

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely most people have to pay for their work Christmas lunch? I've never worked anywhere where it came free. Christmas parties tend to be subsidised or even free but the actual meal generally isn't IME.
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps we're talking at cross purposes - if it's a bunch of colleagues deciding to go out for a meal, then I can understand. But a proper work-organised do? I suppose if it's a big office and you have a party as well, it could soon take the employer over the amount allowed for tax (can't remember what it is - £75 a head?)
But working in a small office, so no party, just a lunch or dinner - in this job, I've never had to pay for that. I don't think I did in previous jobs either, but can't really remember (worked here for 20 years).

M.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We were in town today when we got a call from Herself saying the one remaining, working PC in the house was belching smoke!!

Himself popped into the computer office, just around the corner and the guy promised to come out within the hour - he narrowly avoided making it but we were still grateful. I had diagnosed a burnt out power supply and was right - it cost a whole twelve quid but all is now well.

My own machine will take at least another week whilst they service the motherboard, or get a new one from the manufacturer - happily all under warranty.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
M, you're not working for the Cheeryble Brothers by any chance?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

When I was a nurse we all went out for dinner at Christmas and paid for our own meals, every hospital I worked at, no freebies. My husband's work does provide a nice meal out for the whole of the company and spouses but he works for a technology consultancy so they can afford to be more flash with their cash than the NHS.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
When I was a nurse we all went out for dinner at Christmas and paid for our own meals, every hospital I worked at, no freebies. My husband's work does provide a nice meal out for the whole of the company and spouses but he works for a technology consultancy so they can afford to be more flash with their cash than the NHS.

To be more accurate, they don't get roasted by the Daily Heil! if they indulge their staff from time-to-time.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Firenze, I think I must be, although sometimes it feels more like Gradgrind!

Perhaps it is the difference between private/public. And there's only 4/5 of us in this office, and a similar number in another in the north, so there's not many of us.

And I am ungrateful enough to have started refusing to go to Christmas lunch with everyone in the northern office (I wasn't the only one, mind - a whole day out of the office for a mediocre lunch didn't seem worth it). So this year, we had 2 do's, one for the northern office, one for London.

M.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have taught is six schools over my long career - and always paid for the staff 'do'.

I have stopped going now 'tho as they all get too drunk for my liking! [Devil]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Yesterday I went with a few colleagues to our employer-funded lunch. It was the first time in living memory that this employee has funded the Christmas lunch, but it was a bit odd because we were missing most of the team who are contractors or part of the overseas section and so not included. I think we'll somehow do a more inclusive self-funded variation next week. I am glad I wasn't paying because it wasn't as good as the regular employee-funded lunch that the canteen usually provides.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's a bunch of colleagues going out for lunch, possibly followed by a few drinks scenario, so I'm quite happy to pay my way.

Oddly enough, the only place I've ever worked where they paid for our Christmas bash was the meanest firm of solicitors in Orkney; when the job appeared in the Job Centre window, the lady behind the counter said, "that job's in Scrooge & McTight* - are you sure you still want to apply for it?"

I suppose they felt that they could salve their consciences (assuming they had any) for paying us in buttons by taking us out for lunch ...

* name changed to protect the guilty [Snigger]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Wherever I worked we had to pay for the privilege of being forcibly, and often falsely, chummy with our colleagues for one day of the year - it was made memorable one year when the boss's boss's secretary asked me for a lift afterwards, I'd known this woman for many years, and as we were driving along a country lane she suddenly said

quote:
"Let's face it, WW, all bosses are shits"
Well, yes. I liked the man she was talking about but I'd have hated to be his secretary!

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I work for a big company which makes a good profit, but they certainly don't spend it on Christmas lunches. Their only acknowledgement of the season is that we are allowed to leave 2 hours early on Christmas eve. Some teams arrange their own meals but that is a private affair in our own time and with our own money.

So I'd encourage M to enjoy her good fortune.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Lunch was very enjoyable, as were drinks afterwards in a couple of pubs downtown (although the second one was so packed and noisy you couldn't really hear yourself think).

I used my voucher for a spinach-and-artichoke dip with festively bright-red tortilla-chips, to which I encouraged the others to help themselves; it was very nice at the time, but had something in it (maybe coriander/cilantro?) with an odd taste that's been coming back to haunt me ever since - not quite so nice. I followed that with a v. good spaghetti carbonara, which I'd definitely have again.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My office Christmas party is next week and I Don't Want to Go™.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016