homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 52)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only sort of cheese worth eating is a nice white Stilton, ideally with apricots. Or cranberries.

Unfortunately, Mr StE believes the opposite. I worry that visitors to my house will think that the pong which assaults the nostrils on entering is due to my non-existent skills as a Domestic Goddess. Actually, it is his cheese. Wrapped up and in the fridge....

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Meh. Amateurs. [Biased]

If you want to discover the really stinky stuff, you need to cross the Channel.

A few weeks ago we were looking round the market and I spotted a cheese that looked interesting. A sort of round ball with a crinkly outside. I wanted to try it because it looked new! and exciting! and different! but turns out I was… overambitious. [Hot and Hormonal]

I put one piece of it in my mouth and realised that with all the fermented rancid ponginess it had going on, there was no way I could possibly attempt to eat any more.

If you ever come across Gaperon, don’t go there. It’s less a cheese, more a biological weapon.

I'll look out for that. I moved on from Pont l'Eveque years ago. A good one smells like someone has left the lid off a dustbin, but tastes wonderful.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Norwegian brown cheese - yummm.

(I can't help thinking: if only they'd had some pots, toasting forks and sliced baguettes handy.)

Anyhow, to get off the cheese theme for a moment, I'm sure someone must be going round with a Christmas checklist:
  • Brass bands suddenly striking up in public places - yep.
  • Random strangers on the street in Santa hats - got 'em.
  • Dodgy-looking flashing lights on front of house - lots.
  • People struggling onto public transport with dodgily-wrapped trees threatening to burst loose from their wrappings - check.
  • Festive travel disruption looming closer - on target.
  • "Holly Jolly Christmas", "Simply Havin a Wunnerful Chrissmus Time" and "Let It Snow" on looped repeat" - yesss.
  • Outbreaks of mince piety and free chocolates here and there - going well. Put stop to this at first opportunity.

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought I had had that gaperon when camping in the Auvergne but I don't remember it being that bad so I am probably confusing it with another one.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re: stinky cheese. Family fable has it that my Belgian great aunt's favourite cheese was Limburger, only to be eaten with a peg on your nose. No one else would give it house space.

There are several types of cheese in my fridge at the moment, but I haven't yet bought the crumbly cheese that will go with the Christmas cake. Cheese or cake? Why choose [Smile]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many years ago when fewer people commuted by car to work, my uncle guaranteed a seat on the homeward bus for him. He would buy the smelliest cheese around as he loved it. Sit down on seat in bus and no one would come anywhere near him.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back in the days when I ate cheese, on a day trip to France I bought some interesting looking cheeses. On the boat home I couldn't get away from this really smelly man who seemed to be following me around. But when it seemed like he was in the boot of my car I realised it was me - or rather my purchases (which tasted better than they smelled).
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've finished my marking, ahead of schedule too. I've totted up 12 solid hours of staring at essays on my computer today (or rather, yesterday). I have one stray essay that hopefully will pop in my inbox in the next day or so but other than that I am free.
Haven't been shopping for days and the cupboard is bare. A cheese shopping opportunity tomorrow then [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
...but I haven't yet bought the crumbly cheese that will go with the Christmas cake. Cheese or cake? Why choose [Smile]

An ex-partner of mine, A Man of York, maintained that the only possible suitable cheese for this is Wensleydale but I've always felt that Double Gloucester is a suitable substitute.

[sorting out my tenses so it makes a modicum of sense]

[ 18. December 2014, 01:20: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... Outbreaks of mince piety ...

[Killing me] Quotes file! [Killing me]

I love cheese with fruit-cake; even the most ordinary of mouse-trap is elevated to Higher Things when given the company of a nice fruity cake.

[ 18. December 2014, 03:02: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Creamy Lancashire + fruit cake.

Yes please [Smile]

I am known for having all the Christmas presents bought and sorted by the end of November, so I am making my New Year revolutions early too.

1. Give up chocolate for a month.
2. Complete the de-cluttering by 1st Jan 2016.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't made or bought a Christmas cake this year, owing to the fact that I'm the only person in the house who really eats it, and am the last person who should. [Roll Eyes] But all this talk of cake and cheese is making me rethink that decision. [Biased]

Casa Nen is in a complete mess thanks to the decorating of the master bedroom, which has been going on for months, and is impacting every upstairs room plus the utility room. Nenlet2's bedroom is currently full of decorating stuff, some of our bedroom furniture, the boxes of Christmas decorations waiting to go back in the loft and the bagfuls of presents - mostly wrapped although some are still to do. He comes home for Christmas on Saturday.

Nen - [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I fed trifle to French people. They liked it. Another culinary victory for Blighty. [Big Grin]

moonlitdoor, Gaperon is indeed from the Auvergne. I think its status as edible or not probably depends on the age. I can imagine it being ok if it wasn’t too old, but once it starts to ferment, it develops a bitterness which is only for the very, very brave.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd go for Wensleydale on the cake too, but I'm not keen on fruitcake so would probably just eat the cheese!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I fed trifle to French people. They liked it. Another culinary victory for Blighty. [Big Grin]

I am of the school of thought that trifle doesn't really need jelly. Sponge then fruit then sponge then fruit, etc. then lots of juice of the fruit then the custard then the whipped cream or marscapone.

YUM!!

I think it is best done with raspberries then I think just about anything is best done with raspberries.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anything tastes better with raspsberries, none of insipid, obese strawberries for me.

Any chances of finding a raspberry patch in Kerala?, says he hopefully.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I am of the school of thought that trifle doesn't really need jelly.

I'd go further and say jelly makes trifle inedible. I used to think I didn't like it, on account of the texture of sponge set in jelly. [Projectile] Then one day I had Proper Trifle and it was revelatory. I'm with you on the raspberries too. And a good amount of sherry sloshed in.

Nen - in the mood for Christmas food. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm of the school of thought that omits lumps of fruit from trifle. It ruins the texture and the taste is spoiled too. Mum used to put lumps of raspberry, strawberry or pineapple in her trifles and I had to dig them out and leave them to one side.

The proper ordering should be (top to bottom):

Hundreds and Thousands
Whipped Cream
Custard
Jelly (no lumps)
Sherry-soaked sponge fingers

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anybody here have a copy of the English Big Issue? The English and Scottish usually share the same articles, it's just the adverts etc that are different. My son's book is included in the Children's Book review bit in the Scottish one, and we're curious as to whether it's in the English one as well?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
...Any chances of finding a raspberry patch in Kerala?, says he hopefully.

I don't know of one but I shall inquire at the hypermarket about the possibility of frozen raspberries - I could make a passable trifle with those, but it wouldn't do your blood sugar much good with all the sponge cake and custard.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would generally be of the school that omits jelly from trifle as well. My Dad aka the gourmet chef makes a particularly delicious version with chocolate custard and fresh orange slices. To prove his proper foodie status, he even makes his own sponge.

However, in this instance, the French people wanted to try jelly as an interesting cultural experience. I was honestly very surprised they liked it. My trifle consisted of sponge fingers (soaked in rum on the account of not having sherry around), jelly, strawberries, custard, cream and flaked almonds. I generally agree that raspberries would have been preferable but I couldn’t get any.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I'm of the school of thought that omits lumps of fruit from trifle ...

I'm of the school of thought that omits the trifle altogether - I really don't like the texture of the jelly/sponge combination.

I'm completely with Uncle Pete on the subject of raspberries v. strawberries - a couple of strawberries once a year (with cream and freshly-ground mixed pepper berries) is about right. Raspberries, though, I could eat to a band playing; the supermarkets here seem to be able to get rasps that have a perfect sweet/sharp balance that goes beautifully with plain vanilla ice-cream.

[Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No-one has mentioned alcohol in trifle yet? You don't drive home after a portion of the mother-out-law's sherry trifle, it's lethal!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm of the school of thought that omits the trifle altogether - I really don't like the texture of the jelly/sponge combination.

I'm completely with Uncle Pete on the subject of raspberries v. strawberries - a couple of strawberries once a year (with cream and freshly-ground mixed pepper berries) is about right. Raspberries, though, I could eat to a band playing; the supermarkets here seem to be able to get rasps that have a perfect sweet/sharp balance that goes beautifully with plain vanilla ice-cream.

Yes indeed. I agree with everything in your post.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by piglet
quote:
Hurrah for the voice of sanity!
The nearest I get to something like trifle is tiramisu - and then only the smallest portion.

We were taught to make trifle by our housekeeper, who'd been in service at quite a grand house: her recipe was for sponge soaked in madeira, then fruit (usually raspberries, occasionally with something like strawberries added), then a layer of cold custard, then whipped cream, and topped with barely toasted almonds.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
... The nearest I get to something like trifle is tiramisu ...

Yes yes yes. [Smile]

Bearing in mind how (sort of) similar tiramisu is to trifle, I probably shouldn't like it, but a good one is a Thing Of Beauty.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For North East Quine - I've just been through the Big Issue I bought in Hereford today, and I can'tfind any children's books in it. However, the week before, with a child's drawing of Santa on the cover, has an article on Kids Books of the Year.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eigon, thanks, it'll be the week before. Does it have "Attack of the Giant Robot Chickens" as one of the Kids Books of the Year?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's not that I don't like talking to my friends but when my phone rings at 01.30 I am not immediately very cogent - am I ever? When I find that the call was inadvertent, well, let's not go there! In the end we had a pleasant chat and resolved some issues about his possible visit in March 2015 but it took an age to get back to sleep afterwards.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I know what you mean, WW - if the phone rings at that time of night I'm inclined to assume that something's Very Wrong.

Either that or it's the Cathedral alarm company, who have our number as their first contact because when the clergy lived "off-campus" D. was the nearest member of staff. Sadly it didn't occur to them to change the arrangement when both clergy moved into the Cathedral houses, which actually overlook the building ... [Disappointed]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I unplug the phone and the mobile gets turned off when I go to bed. This is ever since a) a bored, half-drunk friend phoned me at midnight from a hotel room, trying to fill in time waiting for her boyfriend to come back and b) some git got me out of bed early to tell me I could claim money for an accident I'd never had.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I don't have a mobile phone [Big Grin] and all my friends and family know I don't like phone calls. This stems from growing up in a house without a phone.

I started my OU work at 7.30 this morning and now I'm finished for Christmas, unless the missing essay turns up later today. I need to get some housework done, a little bit of sewing and finish a Christmas wreath so a nice relaxing day (give or take a possible essay to mark).

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tiramisu duped me. I was informed that it was coffee flavoured, which would be great as coffee is one of the greatest drinks in the world.

However, nobody mentioned it was flavoured like white coffee, which is an abomination.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doesn't tiramisu have something vaguely alcoholic in in, as well?

I am quite fussy about trifle...sponge cake (slightly stale) should be lightly spread with strawberry jam and then laid in the bottom of my crystal trifle bowl (...it has straight sides...) and then a generous quantity of sherry should be added, until the sponge cake can hold no more.
Fruit should then be added and spread about on top of said sherry-sodden cake.
Proper custard (made the proper way, not with custard powder - ugh) should then be added and spread on top the the cake/friuit mix, right to the edge of the bowl.
When cool, toasted almonds, or "hundreds and thousands" should be added.
Chill, then serve. Cream, if desired, should be left for the person eating the trifle to add. Or not.

And that is the Proper Way to make trifle. All the rest are but pale imitations.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Someone has just delivered some boxes of these to our office [Big Grin]

And yes they do taste as good as they look.

[ 19. December 2014, 11:32: Message edited by: Ariel ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Proper Tiramisu uses espresso - preferably a double espresso - in the liquid used to moisten the biscuits (which should be savoiardi).

If you want the proper recipe, here you go:

2 large, separated; 35g caster sugar; 175g mascarpone, mixed with 75g creme fraiche; 1 tbsp dark rum mixed with 1 tbsp marsala and 50ml double espresso
About 10-12 savoiardi biscuits (or standard biscotti, if unavailable) depending on size of dish; Cocoa powder to dust top.

You don't soak the biscotti, just dip them so they stay intact. And you have multiple thin layers, rather than a blanket of soggy biscuit and then a thick wodge of cheese/cream gloop.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:
Someone has just delivered some boxes of these to our office [Big Grin]

And yes they do taste as good as they look.

My workplace has supplied all its employees with one of these.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Gosh - lucky you! They look fantastic.

We've also had Quality Street, Heroes and Roses so we're well stocked up into the New Year.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'll be having a cherry (sic) trifle for Christmas, with Kirsch if I can track some down. With jelly (blackcurrant probably made with the cooking juice from the cherries) and fake custard. I'm not so fond of cream, but on a trifle, don't mind so much.

Amazing how contentious trifle is!

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Gosh - lucky you! They look fantastic.

We've also had Quality Street, Heroes and Roses so we're well stocked up into the New Year.

We get our HR & IT director round three or four times a years doling out Heroes and Quality Street (but I'm sure the green triangles and caramels are stolen before we get a look-in).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There was an article in the Telegraph on the web today about the Quality Street v. Roses dilemma that afflicts so many over Christmas. According to both manufacturers,
quote:
"... there should be a fairly consistent distribution of different flavours in each tin sold around the country, with the most popular flavours given slightly more prominence."
If that were really the case there would be a lot more than five* green triangles, wouldn't there?

On the subject of posh chocolate, the choir gave D. a box of 100 rather delectable-looking Continental chocolates for his birthday, which we haven't got around to investigating yet - how restrained is that?

[Big Grin]

* Now I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen five green triangles in the same tin/box ... [Paranoid]

[ 20. December 2014, 02:22: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I realise that given my name you might find it hard to believe, but I'm not that much a fan of the green triangles.
Orange creams on the other hand....

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Both those boxes look absolutely delicious! But what is in the green triangles?? Haven't had Roses/Quality Street for years.

But then I only eat dark chocolate. Preferably with truffle, ginger, marzipan or cherry kirsch inside. [Smile]

You can keep flowery/fruity creams!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm not keen on Quality Street/Roses etc as usually the chocolate isn't dark enough and it all seems a bit sugary. But I like the Brazilian Darkness and the coffee flavoured ones.

I don't think I can look another mince pie or piece of cake in the eye at the moment though, and even chocolate is a struggle right now. It all seemed to reach a crescendo at the office during the week - by Friday I'd been invited to four cake events in quick succession: two leaving dos, one birthday do, and a "help, we have too much cake!!" event. Well, so did everybody else. Today's shopping is going to include a large bag of satsumas and a green salad.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The best antidote to too much chocolate is cheese!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I've had so much of that recently too (by way of antidote) that cheese is another thing I need a break from! [Help]

Off now in search of grapefruit juice...

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I had a strange experience when the interweb ceased to function this afternoon - I access it by a dongle as there are no wired connections here in the village. I tried restarts and all sorts with no success then I remembered seeing a guy in a shop take a SIM out of a phone then rub the contacts bit on his shirt and refit it - I gave it a go and it worked a treat.

When do I get my certificate as hardware engineer?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

When do I get my certificate as hardware engineer?

Certificate, badge and rosette!

Just shows what watching the experts can do!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To North East Quine - Yes! Attack of the Giant Robot Chickens is there!
Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've had so much of that recently too (by way of antidote) that cheese is another thing I need a break from! [Help]

Off now in search of grapefruit juice...

I quite understand that it's possible to have too much chocolate, but too much cheese? [Confused] How does that work?

P.S. People on prescription medication should check out grapefruit juice on t'interweb before imbibing.

[ 20. December 2014, 13:22: Message edited by: QLib ]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016