homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 48)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Make lots of clapshot, then fry the leftovers for breakfast.

Fried leftover clapshot....mmmmm....

Nip 'n' neep soup is popular in the North East household - parsnip and turnip with a pinch of mace.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can I stand that much, though? Even in my role as a human waste disposal unit, I do appreciate some variation!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooops - beaten to it by NEQ! Got a recipe for that, please, sounds tasty.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't follow a recipe for nip n neep - just chop up an onion, fry / soften it in a soup pan, add chopped parsnip, chopped turnip, and a pinch of blade mace, a stock cube, add water to barely cover, simmer till the veg has gone soft, mash with a potato masher, or liquidise, depending on how smooth you want it, then add water to bring it to your preferred thickness, bring back to the boil.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clapshot can be further improved by adding a carrot and a few garlic segments to the mix...

The swede content means it can be mashed quite dry so serve with a hole in the middle ready for a poached egg ...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Carrot and swede mash as an accompaniment to various meats. Or roast them (with or without parmesan). Add chunks of it to a stew. Make chips with it. Use pretty much as you would a potato. It's what people had before potatoes became popular.

Blisteringly cold day today. Looks like a very frosty night ahead, too.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I make a similar three root soup and used to live on that a lot during the winter when I took an organic box. It uses parsnip, swede and carrot in roughly equal portions, fried onion and stock, herbs. For public consumption I dice them properly and neatly, liquidize part and add back some dice. Lazily for private consumption they get roughly chopped and mashed.

You can also make a veggie pie with layered swede and mushroom and cream poured over before it gets a crust that was worth remembering and a salad using grated swede (I used to get surfeits too).

Don't, whatever you do, make gnocchi with swede. That was a very unpleasant way of trying to eat the excess.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know how many "a fridge-full" is, but you can store them in sand. I have a vague recollection of my dad having a wooden box with sand that he kept root veggies from his garden in, so I think it probably works, as long as the place is dry enough.

In other news, our Christmas preparations are coming along nicely: D. did the Wine Society order this evening, so that's the UK family and friends sorted. [Yipee]

Now for the Christmas Letter™ ... [Eek!]

Apparently it's going to be 14°C here tomorrow - how the hell am I supposed to feel festive in temperatures like that???

[Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not even Advent. You're not supposed to feel festive yet! [Two face]
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hate to say this, but it is Advent Sunday next Sunday [Ultra confused] I know this because I am organising and compering a Jumbo FUN Concert at church on Saturday night, and have agreed to a puppet nativity play as an opening act. (I'm also in that [Help] )

The concert is in aid of two African charities that we have close links with so I am praying it's a rousing success - these concerts usually are, but only after various good souls have sweated blood to make sure they work well.

Mrs. S, chewing her nails [Eek!]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I don't know how many "a fridge-full" is

In this case it's the other 3 neeps that were larger than sheep-fodder size. Say about 7 or 8 inch length/width, and pretty much spherical. There is also around half a mangelwurzel, which has slowly been being turned into roast/boiled veg for the last couple of weeks, and is now reduced to the same size as the largest neep... [Eek!] May well have to do nip & neep soup - just got to send Sandemaniac out to pick his parsnips [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I wish I could knit, I started teaching myself a few months ago but was too busy to persevere. Though I probably have too many other craft hobbies to have time to do it justice anyway.

I do too many things as well. Learnt the very basics of knitting from a neighbour as a child, then picked it up again about 3 years ago because I needed a change from sewing. Greatly helped by a lot of books for beginning knitters in the local library system!

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
just got to send Sandemaniac out to pick his parsnips [Big Grin]

You know where to find them, sunshine... [Devil]

AG

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Homegrown parsnips are wonderful, but I gave up growing them after it took three of us about 15 minutes to dig just one of them out of the shared allotment. The parsnips had gone down to Australia, and showed no signs of coming back up again. (Admittedly we should probably have dug them up sooner...)

Lovely flavour though, you don't get that in the shops.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
It's not even Advent. You're not supposed to feel festive yet!

You are, of course, quite right. [Big Grin]

Re: Sandemaniac's neeps, once you've peeled them, there'll be a lot less of them than there was. I've been known to freeze chopped-up neeps in plastic bags; they're rather watery when you thaw them out, but if they're going in a soup that's going to be blended with a whizzy-whizz, it won't really matter.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought neeps were turnips... But it then occurred to me to wonder whether "neeps" are any vegetable whose name ends with 'nip' - parsnip, turnip...?

I did some more Christmas shopping when out with a friend this afternoon and have done some wrapping too. I hope to get my cards written at the weekend. Never in my life have I been so organised so early. [Big Grin]

Tomorrow evening Mr Nen and I have been invited to a Thanksgiving meal. The couple in question have family in America so always celebrate Thanksgiving and I've never been to one before so am really looking forward to it. [Big Grin] It seems such a wholesome thing to celebrate, unlike the terrorist plot and subsequent torture and execution of a Catholic that we Brits make so much of around this time of year. [Roll Eyes]

I've been asked to take fruit juice as a contribution and plan also to take flowers for the hostess. Would anything else be appropriate?

Nen - anxious to Do The Right Thing.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds lovely. Take an appetite. That's it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am guarding my parsnip (singular) and looking forward to harvesting it at an appropriate time.

As for Advent, this year I started observing a Celtic Advent on 11th Nov, and it's lovely to begin before the rush starts.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If anyone is interested I have read that the last ever episode of Cabin Pressure is to be broadcast as a two-parter on December 23rd and December 24th!

I'm interested! Very interested. I have loved CP for yonks and will weep when it's finished.

The rest of the R4 Christmas schedule looks interesting. Not least a full hour and a half of Lynda Snell's panto *sniff* sorry, Christmas production.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

One of my colleagues is having a "sort-of-Thanksgiving" party on Saturday. Canadians actually celebrate Thanksgiving as Harvest Festival in October, but she decided any excuse for a party was good enough ... [Smile]

It's the Done Thing™ in Newfoundland to ask if your host/hostess would like you to bring anything when you're invited to a dinner-party, so I'm taking a couple of home-made French sticks (and a bottle of wine, obviously [Big Grin] ).

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are they those really long french sticks, piglet, and if so, how do you get them in your oven?? [Confused]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Darllenwr and I are getting to be gad abouts! I won two tickets to see The Lion King at the Wales Millenium Centre last night - absolutely amazing performance - and we're taking Lord P and two friends to see Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band in Abergavenny next Monday. "Carols and Capers" always means that Christmas is really on its way.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It's the Done Thing™ in Newfoundland to ask if your host/hostess would like you to bring anything when you're invited to a dinner-party, so I'm taking a couple of home-made French sticks (and a bottle of wine, obviously [Big Grin] ).
There is an advertisement on TV down here about just this. Invitation offered and the customary query made about what to bring is made. Hostess assures them not to bring anything. Then we see the guest frantically trying to decipher the signals this sends and she reaches a satisfactory, for her, conclusion. A box of assorted chocolates, a brand around forever. Hostess is duly utterly delighted with the gift.

I wouldn't be. I don't like the brand at all and consider them cheap and nasty. French bread sticks and wine would be much more welcome.

[ 27. November 2014, 20:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With our friends we often take pudding or a cake for tea, which is nicely interactive and makes you feel more at home.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Are they those really long french sticks, piglet, and if so, how do you get them in your oven?? [Confused]

The recipe I have makes three 14" loaves, which fit nicely on one of my baking-sheets. If we had a standard North American stove, size wouldn't be a problem anyway, as they're 30" wide, but our kitchen isn't very big and we have what they call an "apartment stove", which is 24" - the size of a normal British one.
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... I don't like the brand [of chocolates] at all and consider them cheap and nasty ...

My mum was like that about Cadbury's Milk Tray; I remember her sending me to the shops once when they were going to a dinner party and asking me to get chocolates for her to take. She didn't specify what sort, and she was somewhat put out when I came back with the dreaded purple box. It was only then that I discovered she had a sort of thing about it: she wouldn't have liked to receive Milk Tray, so she didn't like giving it either.

I've never felt the same about it since ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am very excited about a small gift I received yesterday.

Attached to my wrist I have a little mother of pearl cross all the way from Jerusalem (squee!). My cello teacher was there teaching a master class a couple of weeks ago and brought it back. [Axe murder]

la vie en rouge, teacher’s pet [Biased]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile]
I have a lovely little story about a mother of pearl cross from Bethlehem.
Many years ago I was working in a cancer clinic when a little girl came in for assessment. She seemed very pleased to see me and later on she called me over. She said she had been worried about coming to hospital and the deaconess had said she would pray for her. The deaconess then gave her a little mother of pearl cross which was very special as it was from Bethlehem and she said it would help her with the worries.
The first person she saw in clinic was me, with an identical cross round my neck which I had bought in Bethlehem; she felt immediately at ease.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[rantlet ON]

These days you'd probably be told to remove it. For Elfin Safety reasons, obviously. [Mad]

[/rantlet OFF]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

No, I was the clinic sister and I didn't wear a uniform either. I told the manager I had the same amount of contact as the Doctors (I was a specialist nurse and carried out eye examinations) and they didn't wear white coats so why did I need a uniform. Several Doctors wore crosses.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
My mum was like that about Cadbury's Milk Tray; I remember her sending me to the shops once when they were going to a dinner party and asking me to get chocolates for her to take. She didn't specify what sort, and she was somewhat put out when I came back with the dreaded purple box. It was only then that I discovered she had a sort of thing about it: she wouldn't have liked to receive Milk Tray, so she didn't like giving it either.

Same brand here and box is known as Roses.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
We're taking Lord P and two friends to see Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band in Abergavenny next Monday. "Carols and Capers" always means that Christmas is really on its way.

Yes, we missed booking them here and now they're all sold out. Went to Bury St. Eds. Christmas Fayre today and off to Colchester Folk Club on Monday - Belshazzar's Feast.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

French sticks made and cooling; batch of chicken stock now bubbling on the stove. As we're probably going to be quite substantially fed tomorrow evening, I reckon soup and bread will do for lunch, so I've chopped up the veggies and I'll put it all together once the stock's done.

Soup and bread-making: kitchen therapy. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back from a very pleasant week away with guests, lots of bird watching and other good stuff - including eating prodigious amounts! Sadly one guest taken ill yesterday on the train but hopefully just a 24 hour thing.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hello Wodders, and welcome back! [Smile] Sorry to hear your visitor isn't so well - hope they're going to be OK.

We appear to have acquired a few inches of sn*w. [Waterworks]

So much for invoking the inverse of Sod's Law by having had the winter tyres fitted.

Oh well, at least there's a pot of veggie soup on the stove and fresh bread in the larder ... [Smile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are off to the Christmas Fair today - I have a Guide Dogs stall but Gypay has to stay at home, she's recovering from her spay. I have organised for a guide dog and a pup to come.

I have made a game with Bonios called 'find the golden bone' - everyone wins a sweet or choccy, but the golden bone finder wins a lovely cushion or a big soft toy.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Guest much improved this morning but sticking to just boiled water for the rest of today - I'll give him a nice fiery curry for breakfast in the morning!

Possibly off to a local bird sanctuary next weekend, friend who is a police admin person is making the arrangements.

Do I get a Bonio, Boogie? I promise to be good.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Do I get a Bonio, Boogie? I promise to be good.

You may have a golden one Wodders [Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

It's the Done Thing here too, at least in the circles I move in, hence the fruit juice. Normally a bottle of wine would be an obvious too, but as we don't know the couple particularly well I thought I'd err on the side of caution. Just as well I did - it was soft drinks all the way. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Welcome back, WW, and I hope Gypsy feels better soon, Boogie.

Nen - who never met a box of chocolates she didn't like.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nen, in the same way my son spoiled me for ordinary gin by introducing me to Bombay Sapphire (currently in a certain orange-themed supermarket at £18/litre), my daughter spoiled me for chocolate in general by buying me Hotel Chocolat citrus puddles (I think they were called). Now most chocolate tastes too sweet, which is a Good Thing as cost restricts how many HC goodies I can eat at a time!

I once bought the Dowager some for Mothering Sunday, and when she hadn't commented a week later, asked how she'd liked them. 'A bit sickly' she said, and when I spluttered indignantly, added 'when you eat them all at once, that is!' [Killing me]

Mrs. S, champagne tastes and a lemonade purse [Help]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
she wouldn't have liked to receive Milk Tray, so she didn't like giving it either.

Are you sure, as we have both Roses Chocolates and Milk Tray.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Today I went to a photography exhibition - the Royal Photographic Society's annual International Print Exhibition. It was a bit of a mixed bag with some pictures which seemed fairly bog standard and others which were stunning, but here's a link for anyone who might be interested.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Back from the sort-of-Thanksgiving party, which turned out to be more pot-luck than I'd envisaged, but was v. good all the same. The hosts had done turkey, stuffing and gravy and roast beef, and there were all sorts of other things ranging from macaroni cheese to spiced rice with cranberries, and my French bread seemed to go down well.

They produced a keyboard and prevailed on D. to play a tune or two; he improvised on Christmas/Advent music, and they all thought it was wonderful, which was nice.

Mustn't hang around here too long - need to be awake tomorrow for the Advent procession - my favourite service of the whole year. [Smile]

[ 30. November 2014, 03:19: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
quote:
quote:
she wouldn't have liked to receive Milk Tray, so she didn't like giving it either.

Are you sure, as we have both Roses Chocolates and Milk Tray.

Jengie

As do we here.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Advent Sunday and we actually had more-or-less full choir - 22 of them - to sing the Matin Responsory by Palestrina [Yipee]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I look from afar, and lo I see that we also sang the Palestrina Matin Responsory, in a church surrounded by lit Christmas Trees. So many, in fact, that it was almost impossible to squeeze into the choir stalls. One day, I swear that the choir members will be entirely replaced by Christmas trees.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

We lit the first of the Advent candles in church this morning and had a sermon on Revelation. As you do. [Smile]

It's going to be a full-on week with work; I'm going to have to start getting up earlier to make time for my Advent meditations. Better get to bed earlier too.

Nen - [Snore]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I look from afar, and lo I see that we also sang the Palestrina ...

Us too! [Smile]

And the Great Advent O Antiphons and anthems by Vaughan Williams, Praetorius, Shaw, Wood, Rachmaninoff and that splendid 16th century composer A. Nonymous. And of course the required carols, including

On Jordan's bank the Baptists cry
If I were a Baptist so would I
They drink no beer, they have no fun
I'm glad that I'm an Anglican!

There was much Decanal Grinning™, a commodity we're going to have to do without for the next three months as he's going off on a sabbatical. How will our fragile little egos survive?

* Oh all right, we only sang that verse during the rehearsal ... [Devil]

PS Hello Chorister - haven't seen you for a while! [Smile]

**waves a trotter towards Cream Tealand**

[ 01. December 2014, 00:55: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

At the church Family FUN Concert on Saturday night, some of us sang a version of 'Who put the colours in the rainbow?' featuring the immortal lines -

Who put the camel in the khazi?
Who put the ferret in the font?
Who put the vulture in the vestry?
That's not what we all want!

etc, etc. [Killing me]

We weren't banned from church on the Sunday morning, so with any luck the net result will be that we never have to sing that song in church again!

Mrs. S, getting to work on 'Our dog is a great big dog' [Devil]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

[Smile]

Monday is my relaxing day so I've been to my yoga class and have come back to bake bread and stick a lentil casserole in the slow cooker. But I do have some sewing I need to get cracking with today, a lady has commissioned 2 sets of little house on the prairie outfits (bonnets, aprons, dresses, nightgowns and caps) so I'll be making calico bonnets this afternoon. I also need to start sewing a fifties dress for a Christmas party on Saturday, I'm using a lovely vintage Sanderson print in dark green and teal. And this evening I will make my first visit to the local sewing group, I need to get out more as I'm quite reclusive and I chatted to some of the ladies at the village fete on Saturday and promised them I would turn up. I'm looking forward to making some new friends.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Sounds like a lovely day off Heavenly Anarchist [Angel]

I'm going to my watercolour paining class this evening - I really enjoy it.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

*** PAINTING *** !!

[Eek!] [Paranoid] [Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016