homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Weel done cutty sark! Scotland 2014 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Weel done cutty sark! Scotland 2014
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A dog matching TESS has been spotted at the NAIRN DUMBAR GOLF CLUB

GD staff are at the golf course. Dog warden is on the case too.

Joss is taking a walk with Fraser around the area and he is going to try calling her and using his whistle.

I wonder if she was taken, but then someone has released her due to the huge media campaigne - too hot to handle?

Come on Tess - find your way home - you have done it many times!

[Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you liked it! I believe it's quite well known, but funny enough to be revisited.

Expressing comic exasperation by going "ChEsus!" has for some reason caught on round our house...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
Speaking from the central belt here, but constantly shocked reading of road traffic fatalities in Aberdeenshire and the north east generally. Are the numbers disproportionate? If so, why? I suppose it might be blamed on lack of motorways but lots of areas of Scotland lack good motorways eg Ayrshire only has a bit of M77 and the rest of the county (north, east and south) is a mix of poor A and B roads. Ditto Dumfries and Galloway. Does the relative prosperity of the NE encourage youngsters onto the road with too little driving experience? Why are the people up there not demanding proper comparison with other areas, maybe a public inquiry and some action?

I don't know if they're disproportionate, but they're certainly high.

I'd say, going too fast on bendy country roads, and reckless young drivers are the main cause. I can think of four fatalities within 5 miles of my house in the last 8 years; three were young drivers in single car accidents. Two failed to take a corner, and the third - no idea how she managed to go off the road. The fourth was a driver who was driving to work still slightly over the limit from the night before.

There are quite a few wee country roads used as commuter routes into Aberdeen, which are totally unsuitable for the volume of traffic on them.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is the Inveramsay bridge on the A96. It's single width, so at this point on the main Aberdeen- Inverness road (one of only 2 "A" roads north of Aberdeen!) there are traffic lights so that cars go through in single file.

I can usually drive the 100 miles to Inverness in 2 1/2 hours, but you have to allow a possible 3 hours, in case of a big tailback at Inveramsay, and multiple delays behind tractors!

So, never mind no motorways - even an A road which isn't single width at any point would be an improvement!

[ 21. August 2014, 19:06: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know the A75 quite well having driven its length from Gretna to Stranraer (alright not quite) four times a year for the last five years and sometimes in the most atrocious weather. It is not a motorway, but as A roads go it is pretty darn good. It is certainly not single track, there are sections that are dual carriageway and each time I travelled it more of the road was. Admittedly ferry times make a difference on the whole route between Stranraer and Dumfries. However, it is a straight fast road and the temptation is to put your foot down as it covers the miles and forget to look out for the exceptional bends. If ferry traffic is bad, I have been known to drive A712 (shorter route but not as fast a road, the time works out about the same) instead. Again very little is single track (I think one or two of the historic villages may still have single track across bridges), but please do not do it in a lorry unless you have to as it twists as much as the A75 is straight.

In other words Dumfries and Galloway is not in the same situation as Aberdeenshire.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Originally posted by Tulfes:
quote:
Why are the people up there not demanding proper comparison with other areas, maybe a public inquiry and some action?
One reason for this is probably the long running saga of the Western Peripheral Route; for the last decade at least, there have been plans for a new road which circles Aberdeen and is dual carriageway all the way. However, various interest groups have been contesting the exact route and the whole thing has been mired down in endless too-ing and fro-ing.

The WPR, if it ever happens, will sort out a couple of accident black spots (not fatalities, but regular bumps and shunts causing tailbacks, which also push cars onto the back roads), will reduce the amount of commuter traffic on country back roads and will mean that lorries going to e.g. Peterhead don't need to go through Aberdeen itself, thus reducing city congestion.

There's no point in having a public enquiry as it would probably just recommend the WPR, which is theoretically in the pipeline anyway.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crivens, it's brassic out there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-28885119

The whole A9 needs a bypass... trouble is, there ain't nowhere else to put the road for much of the route! We skidded sideways into Gills Bay this summer with minutes to spare before our ferry at least partly because of a long turn the engine and get out and walk about sort of traffic delay near Brora.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I drove around the north east for the first time back in June, and was struck by the number of criss-crossing small roads. I think it is because it is fairly densely-populated for a rural area - good farm land can traditionally support a larger population than the poorer land down in Galloway, for example. So the roads run crossways all across the region, connecting farms and small villages. And the land is flat, so the roads are fairly straight, but with some scary junctions, very narrow in parts, and some tiny bridges. But they just aren't busy enough to justify a full-scale upgrade.

By contrast, down in my region most of the land is poor and hilly. That means roads can't criss-cross here, as they have to follow the valleys, which run north to south. So we basically have one motorway (the M74 running north from Gretna to Glasgow); and one long fairly good-quality east-west road from Gretna to Stranraer, which follows the coast and bypasses all the major towns. Leading off this road are smaller roads up to the various towns and villages in the hills, but on the whole, these do not criss cross. You expect them to be twisty too, because they follow the valleys, and because it is an area of low population, they don't have too much heavy traffic.

Another factor may be that the A75 down here is a 'Euro route', and like the M74 is funded by the Scottish Executive and not by the local council.

That's just a few speculative thoughts. Though I don't understand why the north east has so little interest in bypasses. The Peterhead-Inverness road is a nightmare that way, sending drivers straight through Elgin. If ever a town needed a bypass, that would be Elgin.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... The whole A9 needs a bypass ... trouble is, there ain't nowhere else to put the road ...

I've been going up and down the A9 at least once a year since I was a wee kid in the mid-1960s and believe me, it's one hell of a lot quicker and shorter than it used to be. When I was little, we'd leave Kirkwall at about 7 in the morning to get the steamer from Stromness (which took about 2½ hours), and allowing for a brief visit to friends in Helmsdale and a stop for lunch, it would be nearly midnight before we reached my grandparents in Greenock. The road has been ironed out sufficiently that these days we can leave on the Pentalina* at lunch-time and be in Edinburgh by early evening.
quote:

We skidded sideways into Gills Bay this summer with minutes to spare ...

There's a tradition in our family of leaving at the last minute: my late brother-in-law was known to have left Kirkwall five minutes after the Stromness ferry was supposed to leave, and still made it before it left ... [Killing me]

* The best thing to have happened to Orkney in years - good, reliable service, cheaper than the subsidised Northlink ferry and excellent bacon sandwiches. The owner was in my class at school, and I'm happy to support his frankly splendid enterprise.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
[...] The Peterhead-Inverness road is a nightmare that way, sending drivers straight through Elgin. If ever a town needed a bypass, that would be Elgin.

They haven't lost their marbles yet, have they? [Frown]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

My journey to work today might interest you. I could travel to work by dual carriageway for 90% of the journey, and if I'm going in by bus, I do.

But I was offered a lift, and the driver eschewed the dual carriageway for a more convoluted route by a twisty narrow B road, thus avoiding the tailbacks which slow traffic on every roundabout on the dual carriageway. (The bus can use bus lanes, which tips the dual carriageway route in favour of the bus.)

Almost all the B route traffic was going in the same direction, heading to Aberdeen, whereas the dual carriageway has commuters heading into Aberdeen, and out from Aberdeen to the industrial estates. If there were equal numbers of cars going in both directions on the B road, it would be dangerous.

There is something badly wrong with a traffic system in which drivers think ... hmmm... dual carriageway, or twisty B road; I'm in a hurry, I'll take the B road.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sometimes the most obvious or direct route isn't the quickest - when we lived in Belfast if I was driving to w*rk I'd actually start by going in the wrong direction, as there was an awkward junction with a busy road that had traffic-lights if I went that way, and they made the turn much easier and less stressful.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You forget how many people there are in Edinburgh for the Festival. We went to a concert last night - Czech Phil, stunning rendition of Martinu 4 - but came out to pouring rain and several thousand other people all going for buses/taxis. Ended up walking about two-thirds of the way, and having dinner about midnight.

Back to huddling in the suburbs until it's All Over.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is anyone planning to do the Kiltwalk next year? The one in Aberdeen is on the 7th of June.

Cattyish, considering a tartan dress for the thing.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So. Patronising BT Woman, huh?

I nip over the border for 3 days, and this is what greets me on my return? Loving the memes, though! [Snigger]

And then there's this: Panda may have faked pregnancy for buns.

It's all happening up here this week, I tell you.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

According to PatronisingBTwoman's watch, it's 6.50, and the kids are already off to school. That's impressive!
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

OK... There was no way that last story was going to be anything but a Daily Mash one... [Ultra confused]

AG

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What do you lot thing is sensible?
A few weeks ago I could not get onto the train from London as it was full! I was intending to visit friends and family in Edinburgh and I'll visit them a while later.
Is it better to go by night, which I often chose, or is it more sensible to go during the days?
It is also less money to go during the day, but it still take a while to go up.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DaisyMay I've done both (when heading south). It depends how long you have, if time is limited then night makes sense. If you have time, it is a beautiful train journey. Also I like train journeys, is a time I feel is ok to sit and watch the world go by and chill out.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I book online (and get the tickets from the machine in the station on the day). That always assigns a seat reservation.

There's quite a price variation on fares, and if you can commit to travelling off-peak and returning on a specific service, you can travel very much more cheaply during the day.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always book before a while to get on the train as it then costs less money. A while I will be going to Edinburgh.
And I have always taken the sleeping one when I have been further north to Edinburgh - for example camping up in the northwest, when we were there a while ago and it was sunny and dry - lovely.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure where I will be, and therefore how much internet access, but was wondering who might be around for a virtual meet in the cafe, while the referendum votes are being counted/ announced?

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

We had a nice time today on Thursday at 1pm at the kirk, in London, when it was really great and people discussed whether it would be shifted from Scotland to England.
We also sang a Psalm which we usually sing in Scotland kirks.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Just got back from a wee prayer service for tomorrow. I hope folks are hanging in there okay.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just dropping in to wish you all well for tomorrow's Momentous Decision.

I couldn't put it better than the Queen did: think very carefully before you make your decision.

Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking of the people of ****land. * guess whichever way it goes there will be pain for some.

Huia

[ 18. September 2014, 06:27: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking of you all north of the border today and especially tomorrow when the results come through [Votive]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking of you all [Votive]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I hope now it goes well in Scotland to be forever. And now a woman has said she wishes to be in charge.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I am going up to Edinburgh as some of our family have told to come, and by he train in the morning, just a time a couple of days. I hope it is not just wet and cold there.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was there a few weeks ago, Daisymay, and it was lovely!

Have a good trip! [Smile]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My husband and I are taking a short trip to Edinburgh at the end of October. It's forty years since I was last there, and my husband has never been. Any suggestions of what we should do in the 24 odd hours we have at our disposal?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
My husband and I are taking a short trip to Edinburgh at the end of October. It's forty years since I was last there, and my husband has never been. Any suggestions of what we should do in the 24 odd hours we have at our disposal?

If he's not been at all, then a bus tour might be a good way to get a lot in.

If it's 40 years, then things that you'll not have seen would include the Parliament building and the consequent revamp of that area round Holyrood and the foot of the Canongate. The west end and the hinterland of Lothian Road and Fountainbridge is glass and concrete (no more brewery and the burnt lentil smell of hops). The east end of Princes St has been smartened up as well, with new build/development below Carlton Hill, and St Andrew's Sq opened up as a public space. In the Old Town, they've been trying to de-seedify the Cowgate and Grassmarket (helped by that big fire on South Bridge a few years ago). And there's the extension to the National Museum on Chambers St. There's also been a lot of development of the National Gallery - but downwards, burrowing into the Mound and the Gardens. Look out for the restaurant. And possibly the whole Gallery of Modern Art on Belford Road is since your day? And then there's the Dean Village and Stockbridge and the Botanics if you fancy picturesque walking.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As this is The Ship I think finding nice places to eat might be a good idea.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Walking the Royal Mile lets you see lots of interesting buildings, from the castle at one end to the Parliament building and Holyrood Palace at the other. You can rub the toe of the Hume statue, pop into St Giles Cathedral, and Cannongate churchyard en route, and its all free. Lots of different options for a coffee / lunch stop, too.

Personally, I'd just look at the castle from the outside as a proper visit would take up too much of your short time there.

Museums of Scotland are close to the Royal Mile and free - I try to pick a single topic each time I'm in Edinburgh, and just do that, as otherwise the size and variety gets overwhelming; last visit I went to see the prehistoric and Roman sections; the visit before was C17th and church history.

In between Museums of Scotland and the Royal Mile is the statue of Greyfriars Bobby - a compulsory photo opportunity! You can pop into Greyfriars cemetary, too. Also, the National Library of Scotland, halfway between the Royal Mile and Museums of Scotland, always has a small, free, interesting exhibition.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I second Firenze's suggestion of a bus tour.
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I suppose it depends what things you like. If history is your thing, then there is plenty to occupy 24 hours from the Castle down to Holyrood, especially if you pop in and out of the wee closes. I particularly love St Giles Cathedral (free) and the Writers' Museum (also free). There are lots of very good eateries on George IV Bridge just round the corner from the Cathedral - I especially recommend The Outsider and The Villager, or you could try Frankenstein's pub for a gothic thrill in a converted old church. You can also find The Elephant House on this street, a nice wee cafe for Harry Potter fans. It is worth a wander down Victoria Street for some unusual shops and The Bow Bar - a fabulous pub.

If you fancy a more upmarket experience, George Street is a much better option than Princes Street, and it has lots of lovely restaurants at the west end. Do go into The Dome, for afternoon tea if nothing else. It is a spectacular venue - don't let the Christmas decorations (which will be up by this time!) put you off. St Andrews' Square at the east end is worth a visit and usually has some kind of outdoor exhibition going on. You can find Harvey Nick's there now as well.

There are some nice traditional pubs on Rose Street which serve good food in an atmospheric setting. I know and like the Auld Hundred and the Abbotsford, while the Mussel Inn Seafood Restaurant has a very good reputation.

The Portrait Gallery on Queens Street is a good option if the weather is bad, and consider popping down Broughton Street to find the more bohemian side of Edinburgh. There's a great wee cafe there called Nom de Plume.

Another good rainy day option for the strong of stomach is the Surgeon's Hall Museum, a short walk up Nicolson Street, and not far from the National Museum.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I couldn't really improve on those suggestions, but now that Firenze mentions it, I rather miss the brewery smell of Lothian Road (my sister lives in Balerno and I always used to notice it on the way out of the city).

I was about to recommend the Atrium, where we had a fairly stellar dinner years and years ago, only to discover that it had closed ... [Hot and Hormonal]

However, I can recommend The Olive Branch, where we celebrated our silver wedding with my Edinburgh relations last summer. Also, for really good but reasonably-priced French nosh, there's still a Pierre Victoire in Edinburgh.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for all those great suggestions. The walk up the Royal Mile sounds like a good idea, and I hope we can do that the day we get there to give us an idea of what we want to see more off the one full day we actually have. A museum or art gallery is a must as that's something we both enjoy, though I tend to enjoying painting and my husband lieks anything technical.
Thanks for eating suggestions too. We are vegetarians so any recommendations for stand out veggie places would be great (I'm also partial to CAKE, though my husband isn't quite so keen).

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe David Bann, just off the Royal Mile, has a pretty good reputation though I've never eaten there myself.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I've been there, albeit some time ago - it was fine. Veggie Places to check out on TripAdvisor are Henderson's in the New Town and the Kalpna and Bindi in the Southside.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Also, for really good but reasonably-priced French nosh, there's still a Pierre Victoire in Edinburgh.

Seconded, totally. We have one in Oxford which has always produced good food at a bargain price, and the London one served up an unforgettable, best-ever goulash (ok, it's not French but it was the special of the day and truly excellent) when I last went.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

They are, though in Eyre Place, which is a bit of a haul if you're staying centrally. And while they do have 3 vegetarian mains, it's not their predominant style.

[ 03. October 2014, 19:24: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
Thanks for all those great suggestions. The walk up the Royal Mile sounds like a good idea, and I hope we can do that the day we get there to give us an idea of what we want to see more off the one full day we actually have. A museum or art gallery is a must as that's something we both enjoy, though I tend to enjoying painting and my husband lieks anything technical.
Thanks for eating suggestions too. We are vegetarians so any recommendations for stand out veggie places would be great (I'm also partial to CAKE, though my husband isn't quite so keen).

Clarinda's Tea Room atthe bottom of the Royal Mile is a must for cake! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Has anyone else caught this? It has to be the maddest, most jaw-droppingly crazy thing ever. It is also very very beautiful. Danny MacAskill: [Overused]

There's a link on the BBC site to 'The Ridge' on youtube, so you can check out the full-length version.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm feeling uncomfortably giddy just looking at that - he's clearly certifiably insane.

[Eek!] but also quite [Overused]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I had a very nice time in Edinburgh and we walked around various places. It was really nice to be with my family and friends - we had been at school together!
And today the train I booked to sleep in to come down was cancelled which was a problem, but then they put us into another train which just stayed there not moving, and then at 5am they got us onto another train to bring down.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Long sleepless night then Daisy May? That's not so fine. I hope you've recovered well with good memories intact.

Cattyish, huddling indoors against the rain.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

When I've come home, I went to sleep during this afternoon, about 3 times. And then one of my family arrived and woke me up. So I had my usual morning to eat then!

It was lovely often in Edinburgh, wet too one day. There were great places to walk around in parks and see all lovely trees and lovely covers still alive on the floor with the green.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It will rain all over Scotland next week, starting Sunday morning, and end when I get back on a plane two weeks from now. Why should it be different from usual? I'll enjoy every moment of it anyway, though I'm thinking of posting something in the Thanksgiving thread about First Group losing the Scotrail franchise. It can't happen soon enough.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016