homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Only Connect (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Only Connect
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would you like some clues ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was I wrong then?
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fraid so - though 'The Knowledge' referred to is the London taxi driver's knowledge.

The connection is not about London.

[ 13. October 2015, 19:27: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What various cities are known for?

Northampton - Shoes / Cobblers - and that's the nickname of the football team there,
Sheffield - knives - Sheffield United is known as the Blades,
London - the Knowledge?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Tis not a geographical connection.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the answer rather neurological in nature?

I'm wondering if these are all things that have been specifically mapped in the brain.

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Along the same line, are they skills that show a physical difference? I believe that the Knowledge does show up in cabbies brains.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way, if it's a "what's the Link?" question (rather than "what's the next in sequence?", we should have four clues, not three (hint, hint) ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All things that have been thrown at Boris Johnson in recent weeks?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All traditional British things that have been threatened by cheap foreign imports?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The Knowledge' was a play by Jack Rosenthal. Is that anything to do with it?
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Along the same line, are they skills that show a physical difference? I believe that the Knowledge does show up in cabbies brains.

I think I will give it you, they are all cultural products that have the incidental effect of changing the body. Only humans who use cutlery routinely have an overbite, (only the last 250 yrs in the west - a lot earlier in China), shoe wearers have differently shaped feet to non-shoe wearers, and doing the knowledge changes the shape of the hippocampus.

I thought the taxi driver connection might give it away !

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you - I think an honorary mention to Sipech who pointed me in the right direction.

I will think of a connection, and post it as soon as I can.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

OK, what links these:

The great gig in the sky
Love is like a butterfly (Theme song)
Love to love you baby (Abigails Party)
Yellowstone park

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm I had a look at the chords for those three songs; couldn't find anything there.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Palmer?

Geoffrey Palmer in Butterflies,
Palmer House at Yellowstone Park
Robert Palmer - Love to Love you
I'm sure Amanda Palmer will be in there somewhere (just because we follow some of the same people on Twitter)

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

You have one small part of one clue.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Is the connection the singer Clare Torry ?

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

DoubleThink - you are a genius. Well done.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I'm on a roll [Cool]

Will go have a little think.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

OK, what is the connection:

• Prombron Monaco Red Diamond Edition SUV
  • Christina
  • Why brother?
  • Honda Civic Kevlar Induction Kit

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Let me know if you want additional clueness.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
I think I will give it you, they are all cultural products that have the incidental effect of changing the body.

I would never in a million years have got that.

(Nor your latest, whatever the answer.)

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure I even understand the question!

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

No, I think they need to be a little less obtuse!

(But only a little).

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I asked what connected the things I listed, and what connected them was they all change human body shape. Is that really more obscure than pyongyang metro stations ?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Cluezoid: Christina was Aristotle Onassis' yacht.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

There are reasons, other than the 11 hour day of work I've just put in, that the number of people playing has fallen.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why brother is a Weezer song?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Honda Civic thing is know as a "whale penis", and the Prombron could come (sorry) with allegedly whale penis leather seats, but apparently it was not true. So probably this is something to do with whales or false whales.

Maybe one of the entertaining Christinas like Aguilera was called a whale when pregnant, or when she sang with Noah and the Whale (which is a band).

Why Brother might come from the movie/book What's Eating Gilbert Grape. His mom's morbidly obese and housebound - i.e. a whale, and his brother keeps climbing the town watertower and he asks why.

[tangent]
Obscurity? Many of these are hopelessly obscure, particularly if they are about things unique to one country, like Clare Torry (who I googled, never heard of her), The Knowledge (Googled, never heard of it).
[/tangent]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

[crosspost]

Possibly, but the relevant version is a different group.

[ 15. October 2015, 18:57: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I think the connection is whale penises.

Sorry, this was a crosspost.

[ 15. October 2015, 18:58: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

The yaught has parts made of whale foreskin. The Honda part is also called a whale penis intake.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ah, another band that did this song is called Inside a Whale's Cock.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I think the connection is whale penises.

Yup, well done [Smile]

Both the car and the yacht were reputed to have whale foreskin seats, Why brother? is a song on an album by the Cassetteboy group called Inside the Whale's cock volume 1 and and the car part is widely known as a whale's penis.

(In my defence, the car and yacht were facts on QI, cassetteboy has been referenced on BBC national news a couple of times. The car part came up when I googled whale penis for a fourth clue.)

[ 15. October 2015, 19:02: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

The connection is funny. But I admit I'd never have known without googling.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So do I get half marks?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I think maybe No prophet takes it as having got the key words first ?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
The connection is funny. But I admit I'd never have known without googling.

I feel the same about the Korean metro.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hehe. Give me a moment. I'll try to come up with one that's more about lateral thinking than about knowing obscure trivia.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Doublethink.: I think maybe No prophet takes it as having got the key words first ?
Oh sorry, I'd missed this post. It's fine for me if No prophet does the next one.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
[tangent]
Obscurity? Many of these are hopelessly obscure, particularly if they are about things unique to one country, like Clare Torry (who I googled, never heard of her), The Knowledge (Googled, never heard of it).
[/tangent]

They are supposed to be obscure. Very few people have heard of Clare Torry, but it is one of those bits of music trivia that she sang on the great Gig and the Butterflies theme song - the other two I had to dig up.

I suppose this version is about finding something that might link a couple, or something obscure about one, and then trying to find some way these are connected to the others. It is a voyage of discovery for everyone.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

That's exciting. I really think I get half points, and only guessed luckily. But I have one. What connects:

white
blue
black
red

[edit]
x-post. Thanks for the clarification SC
[/edit]

[ 15. October 2015, 20:51: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Schroedinger's cat: It is a voyage of discovery for everyone.
So just to be sure, it's OK to google in this game?

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
quote:
Schroedinger's cat: It is a voyage of discovery for everyone.
So just to be sure, it's OK to google in this game?
I would say yes. For most of the questions, of course, that will not help. Like the current one.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Schroedinger's cat: For most of the questions, of course, that will not help. Like the current one.
Hehe. I'm thinking whisky labels, but that's probably wrong.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am thinking somekind of nautical flag signalling sequence.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Not nautical flags, nor anything to do with navigation. Not whisky or anything similar.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

[crosspost + plus I notice a lack of black]

Ooh now that I remember the Aubrey Maturin novels - are those the admiralty divisions ?

Admiral of the red, the white, the blue ?

[ 15. October 2015, 22:00: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Good try, but nothing near that either.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016