homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Have just spent the last few days quarantined in my studio with a stomach bug.

People left me alone to watch Olympics day and night while doing crafty things and losing a little weight.

I may need to catch tummy bugs more often!!!!
[Razz]

There are more pleasant ways to lose weight than like that, BL.

I watched very little of the Olympics and found the coverage woeful. Three channels devoted for 24 hours a day for two weeks. I rather liked the review in newspaper this week. Replays from the day before on any one channel at any time and ads on the other two simultaneously.

PS. Hope you are better now.

[ 21. August 2016, 23:03: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to whatever passes for normal in our household, Loth. I notice that there have been some significant advances in meds and natural food sources for immunotherapy re cancer and leukemia lately. May all things hidden be revealed to those doing research, and may the drugs needed by so many soon be affordable to all. There must come a time in this century when we find a more humane way of treatment for ourselves. I hope I live to see the day. I imagine one day it will be a bit like looking back at the first syringes ever used and shuddering for the patients.

Today I get to have morning tea with someone who should be dead from ovarian cancer, her scan counts were so high. She rallied every Christian friend she had to pray before going in for an emergency hysterectomy. She has a severely handicapped son that she cares for, and needs to be around for his continued wellbeing. Even her surgeon does not understand the before and after scans, they are so remarkably clear. She just told him God gave her a leave pass. I share this, because sometimes it is nice to hear a happy story.

Of course it is not all over, and there are many more hurdles as she has other medical problems. I'm just glad that for now, like Miss M, the worst case scenario is not one of them. PTL.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

Today I get to have morning tea with someone who should be dead from ovarian cancer, her scan counts were so high. She rallied every Christian friend she had to pray before going in for an emergency hysterectomy. She has a severely handicapped son that she cares for, and needs to be around for his continued wellbeing. Even her surgeon does not understand the before and after scans, they are so remarkably clear. She just told him God gave her a leave pass. I share this, because sometimes it is nice to hear a happy story.

As someone who used to be very agnostic about the impact of prayer I so get this .. which of course means, for all actions have an opposite and equal ulterior motive ... I will be needing a prayer or two in coming weeks as at last I get a legal venue in which to fight my dismissal

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Starting now Zappa.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best wishes Zappa,

Blast I was posting something, hit the wrong key and it poofed. Time to go to bed I think.

Tomorrow I am going to Wellington and it will be hard. I want to hibernate.

I will be off line until late Friday.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Out of contact, but not out of thoughts.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news Zappa
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back again - he's in [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] . Sorry, before I fill the page with [Yipee] just to note - my brother has now been assessed and moved into 24 hour care. I am so relieved. Every day I had been wondering whether I would be rung with a report of him wandering, or yelling at someone who was trying to help him. Now he will get the care he needs.

I want to sleep for a week. I will go back to help my sis-in-law empty his unit in a few weeks.

Huia

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! for all the Yay!, Huia [Yipee]

Mrs. S, quoting Neandergirl

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Very good news Huia. You can now sleep soundly.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is good news , Huia. I hope he settles in well and that you can take time too to savour the relief of the decision.

I have some idea how you feel as a group of us is currently going through much the same with a good friend of ours. Not yet quite at that stage as your brother, but his friends are his family and he is going downhill fairly rapidly.

Sleep well.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia [Yipee] [Votive]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad to hear it, Huia - [Votive] that your brother settles well into his new environment, and gets all the help and treatment he needs.

Zappa, prayers still ascending. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lousy weather yesterday, but a lovely party was had to celebrate B4's engagement. I did have one heartstopping moment on the way to set up the venue. A ute came around a corner in front of me and fishtailed alarmingly all over the road in the wet. My car was filled with balloons, and the front passenger seat had a very elaborate and expensive chocolate confection sitting on it. My life did not flash before my eyes - but the vision of a windscreen splattered with cake and all the balloons floating into the ether was enough to make me take some sensible evasive action. I was most relieved to get all of the contents of the car - including me - to the venue intact.

A good time was had indeed.

[Razz]

[ 03. September 2016, 02:47: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia – good news indeed. Know peace and the presence of the spirit, with you and with your brother.
And how is your sister-in-law in all this?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

GG, I don't know if I explained, my oldest brother is single and this sis-in-law is the wife of my youngest brother (actually they are in the throes of divorcing, but she has said she is willing to continue with Enduring Power of Attorney). She is totally amazing, a human whirl-wind.

I am happy for her to continue in this role as she does have his best interests at heart and is on the spot. She does consult me if anything major comes up. My role (as I see it) is more in being his memory. I am planning a captioned photo book of our wider family to help him as his memory gets worse.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, Huia, I think I knew that, but mentioning your sister-in-law must have confused me.

Prayers and blessings for both of you.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Extension History project handed in. Check.
English Extension 2 project handed in. Check.
Music composition handed in. check.
HSC Music performance done and dusted.

Now I can relax - there are only a few of those pesky exams to go in October! Oh, and Breakfast With The Boys, final assembly and Valedictory Dinner before that.

mr curly
HSC Parent

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:

Now I can relax - there are only a few of those pesky exams to go in October! Oh, and Breakfast With The Boys, final assembly and Valedictory Dinner before that.

mr curly
HSC Parent

[Two face]
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:

mr curly
HSC Parent

Miss the breakfast - never was much and probably never shall be.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Mr Curly, that sounds very organised of him. My grandson is not as organised, I fear, but HSC is not the end of life as I tell him. Highly intelligent but little work done if he does not like subject etc, Tangled up with young love, but girlfriend is taking gap year next year, so A is muddled.No idea what he thinks he might do.

Well, pizza delivery supported my nephew for a year before he started his Masters, so there is always that. He is a steady, good driver. I pay him to do work here, usually when he needs more money than he has to buy girlfriend a present. Scrubbing balcony etc, that sort of thing.

[ 05. September 2016, 23:25: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Mr Curly, that sounds very organised of him.

Not especially - but he has just managed to meet all the deadlines for submission of the major works without too much hoo-haa.

Hard to believe that in under 8 weeks, he'll be a former school student.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Despite having the same view of prayer, I am praying for you, Zappa, and wondering how the fight is going.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Hello, stranger! Good to see you here.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Despite having the same view of prayer, I am praying for you, Zappa, and wondering how the fight is going.

D Day next week - all submissions, witness statements etc now lodged and the tribunal no doubt ready and rearing to go.

All prayer much appreciated - warm fuzzies, indulgences ... perhaps not bribes but pretty much anything else!

[ 11. September 2016, 17:49: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're on!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Loth,
I am taking an enforced break from chaplaincy and managing the technical side of my chaplaincy academy after a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery. I have loitered here infrequently. I have a kerygmania question I will post soon.

My house church ended and I am probably going to join my local uniting church. They will then become the sponsoring church for my spiritual care practice at our new hospital.

My elder son is moving to Sydney so I may be able to get to a Sydney meet, if one happens.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome back, Latchkey Kid, and wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

[Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

May your healing be complete and swift and arrangements for new church etc also go well.
You may read of a friend sliding down into dementia and Alzheimers. You have met him.

[ 12. September 2016, 00:38: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Zappa [Votive] Will be thinking of you especially next Monday as I fly up to Wellington again.

Latchkey Kid [Votive] I hope you can take the tme to rest and recover.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Zappa, may you know the presence of the Spirit at all times. [Votive]

GG

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Tired. Spent 11 hours at the hospital yesterday with my 98 yr old mum, waiting for an X-ray to be done on her foot. One of the other nursing home residents stood up from the dining table too quickly, passed out and landed on my mother, who happened to be walking past behind him. It was a busy Monday with many trauma cases coming in, so everything non-life threatening just kept getting bumped down the list. No room left in the waiting area, so we got left in corridors, sitting on the floor. I had to beg for help every time she needed to go to the toilet, as she could not walk at all. If I hadn't been there asking, she just would have been left, like several other distressed elderly and confused people waiting to be seen all day.

The staff were kind, but overwhelmed. I have every respect for those juggling so much. I am glad the x-rays showed no breaks, but today she is in deep shock, as much from the hospital experience as from the accident. Yes, very tired.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Hospital emergency areas are places best avoided if possible. I hope your mum feels better after some decent sleep and that her foot heals well. All probably made worse by the suddenness of the accident.

Oh dear, just saw the comment about sitting on the floor. [Frown] [Mad]

[ 13. September 2016, 07:16: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Good to have you back LKK, and glad you've come through the severe health issues.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Read and prayed through: quite a lot needed.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor Banner Mum - hope her foot mends very soon. [Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Banner Lady, How is your mum today?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
You're on!

[Axe murder]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

After 3 days bedrest, Banner Mum is now at least able to hobble to and from the bathroom. She is one determined lady, I will give her that. Definitely 98 and not out.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That's good to hear. Perhaps the determination has helped her reach 98.

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] LKK

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

An early start to my day here. Compulsory, annual inspection of front door and smoke alarm, scheduled to start at 7:00 am.

As I hate not being up and dressed to open door , I was of course wide awake at 4:00 am.

However, door checked and smoke alarm tested and both passed. That was at 7:24.

Front door is heavy fire door with a handle and also key lock. It has to shut tight when released and no pressure to shut is applied. It pays to comply with arranged times. A special inspection would cost me several hundred dollars. A great incentive to comply!

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

We have rental income from my late mother-in-law's flat, one in a block of 11. It was good to learn when they had their smoke/fire alarms checked last week that ours was one of three that had functioning alarms.
Also good to meet my excellent agent face-to-face for the first time, and the young woman tenant. Soon after she and her partner moved in the partner lost his job, but she continued to pay her share of the rent, while he has found work and is paying arrears as fast as he can.
We had a good tenant for some years but the following one lost his job soon after he took over, and had to move out.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There are more owners than tenants here, although the area is close to several big shopping centres, a couple of smaller areas which have strong ethnic populations so lots of different shops. Close to several train stations and on several bus routes. It is 15 years old, well built and solid. It was built by a family company which is still building but more retirement homes, and was originally serviced apartments. It is a mix of two, three and one bedroom places and is built in a rectangle. Apartments are built around the outside of the rectangle and each floor has open gardens inside. The place is fairly quiet with little noise even from the roof garden which is popular for family groups. There is a good view of the Bridge but no water views. Close to the parks along the river.

I sound like a real estate agent. It has been a good buy financially appreciating considerably in the time since I bought it.over 50%. Obviously I would have to sell to realise that appreciation.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... I sound like a real estate agent ...

I was thinking just that; estate agents have been very much on our minds over the last wee while. [Roll Eyes]

At least with a patter like that, if you do want to sell, you won't have to pay someone to do the blurb for you ... [Big Grin]

eta: you forgot to add "chiefly south-facing"*

* I suppose in Australia, it should be "chiefly north-facing". [Killing me]

[ 17. September 2016, 17:28: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed it is 'north facing' when in the cooler climes of the antipodes, but 'south facing' is far more attractive north of that point, which I think is about Lismore, where four seasons becomes two (hot summer and cool summer [Cool] ) .

Real estate agents north of that imaginary border tend to hide the fact that the house is 'north facing': that would suggest that the house was hot.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

North east. Lovely low, early sun fills my lounge room in winter.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Around here, south facing houses are preferred as that leaves the kitchens and casual living areas facing north and getting the sun. Those areas usually give out onto the pool and outside decks, terraces etc, making the house easier to live in most of the year. Air-conditioning deals with the worst summer days.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Our house is south facing, so our living areas face north.
For LKKspouse all our houses must have a view, so we are on one of the two hills in town. We don't have a/c but we can open the house up to get cross breezes. On really hot days our downstairs extension is built into the hill and remains many degrees cooler.

I think we have two seasons, but the local Aboriginals reckon there are six seasons.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

The Wizardist Little Uniting Church gave me membership today.
When I asked about formalities that was something they hadn't thought much about. Even the treasurer and his wife who is doing the four month and 12 month reviews of the new husband and wife pastoral team said they had not had a formal rite of acceptance. I think they will now work one out for us. I would like my hospital chaplaincy formally to be seen as part of the work of church. I might then get some supervision and a sounding board.

It is such a friendly church. I couldn't ask for more.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016