homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vespucciana-- USA 2016 (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vespucciana-- USA 2016
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thoughts and prayers for everyone in the path of tropical storm Hermine (pronounced Her-meen for those not in range of US news).

But I have to say ... whenever I hear that on the news I immediately think of this instead and want to say "You're pronouncing it wrong!"

[ 02. September 2016, 21:46: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope you're all safe. [Votive]

Looking at the Environment Canada web-site, it doesn't look as if you're planning on sending it our way once you've finished with it ...

... famous last words ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Once it is over the border won't the permafrost slow it down?

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it's going to sit and spin off the Long Island coast. Some permafrost would do it good!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Seriously, anybody who breaks into OUR cars has gotta be desperate.

I used to own an ancient, beat-up car, and it was broken into multiple times. I always figured people were looking for drugs.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Thoughts and prayers for everyone in the path of tropical storm Hermine (pronounced Her-meen for those not in range of US news).

But I have to say ... whenever I hear that on the news I immediately think of this instead and want to say "You're pronouncing it wrong!"

I just saw some news footage. Ye gods.
[Votive]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I used to own an ancient, beat-up car, and it was broken into multiple times. I always figured people were looking for drugs.

I was asked during jury duty a few years ago if I'd ever been the victim of a crime. I said something like, "Not really, unless you count having my car broken into. I always treated that one as part of the cost of living in San Francisco."
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hermine pretty much abandoned us, so we went out and I got a little sunburnt.

Cattyish, slightly itchy.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi good people.

I am travelling to Las Vegas and Aspen for a few days in a few days.
I don't know of any shippies in those areas but am very happy to say hello and buy you a beer if there are.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh, Patdys! I know you're going to have a great time! Hope you can find some Shippies to meet with you! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure we have anybody in Las Vegas or Aspen. Pity you're not coming down to Phoenix.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We loved New York! Thank you America for the fun, heat, sunshine, pizza, seafood, transport, dance, song and great big smiles. [Big Grin]

Cattyish, back in Scotland using Star Trek and running to manage jet lag.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad to hear you had a good time, Cattyish - New York is pretty amazing, isn't it?

My cure for jet-lag when we came back was not having to go back to w*rk until the following Monday, sleeping until all hours and waking up at silly-o'clock thinking I should be eating dinner. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was lovely meeting Cattyish and her husband. We had a very nice lunch at a diner named Tick Tock.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I'm not sure we have anybody in Las Vegas or Aspen. Pity you're not coming down to Phoenix.

Those of us who do live here need to have a Shipmeet some time.

Is there anyone else in Arizona who hasn't made themselves known yet? Please tell us!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
We had a very nice lunch at a diner named Tick Tock.

Oooh -- the Tick Tock on Route 46 in New Jersey? Memories, memories!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, in Manhattan, near Penn Station.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Didn't know there was one there. I'll have to look for it next time I'm in NYC.

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

We're sad to hear about recent bombs in New York and New Jersey. We're hoping the people there are looking after each other and managing to get on with the important things.
Cattyish, thinking of the USA.

--------------------
Ralph Waldo Emerson

jedijudy

# 333

We just had the first rainband from Matthew dump a goodly amount of water on my home. It's just sprinkling now, with some gentle breezes.

We're the lucky ones, here in my county. I have contacted a friend and her husband who live right on the east coast near West Palm Beach. He's very stubborn and didn't think they'd need to evacuate to my place. Crazy man. [Eek!]

Grammatica will very likely have hurricane force winds. Erin, God rest her soul, probably would have had to evacuate. She is missing an excellent opportunity to complain about the weather!!!! [Devil]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for all in the path of the hurricane, and that it runs out of steam before it gets up our way ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

We have some beautiful-ish weather coming this weekend...finally! Sunday morning might possibly be in the high 50s! [Yipee]

After complaining about the heat for lo these many months, it will be great to complain about being too cold! 50s! Practically snowing!!

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It has been record warm here the past few days. I remember however sitting outside and eating lunch at a curbside cafe, the week of Thanksgiving in the 90s at one point. So it is not utterly unusual.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's still not exactly cold here yet either - I even had the air-con unit on for an hour or so today.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Ten days ago, I was near West Point, NY, and it was 48 and windy. My poor thin Florida blood was freezing. I had packed a fleece pullover and a nice denim jacket, which was very difficult since it was in the 90s and I was sweating when I packed.

Ahhh, it's nice to be back to my climate controlled home.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

It is 55 this morning! [Yipee] [Big Grin]

Long sleeves for church this morning. Time to trawl through the other side of the closet!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You have the edge on us - it's 45° here today. [Help]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's currently 89 F here in the Phoenix area. They're predicting 91 this afternoon. (97 on Thursday!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Do you actually get winter in Arizona? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

You'd be surprised -- there can be ice on the sidewalks on an early January morning, and frost has nipped the bushes in front of my house more than once. But that period only lasts a week or two.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

We are told that hot and humid weather is returning in a day or so. [Waterworks]

I had a great bothering conversation with God this morning, suggesting He might like to just put today's weather on repeat for the next few months.

[whine]The only thing is, the change in air pressure gives me a stinking bad sinus headache. The neurologist thinks they're migraine, but I've seen family members with migraine. I can at least remain upright. [/whining off]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I saw this posted on facebook, so I'm not going to swear to it, but apparently there was snow in upstate New York yesterday. Around here it was nasty and rainy yesterday but not cold enough for snow. Today was bright and sunny, though a little chilly, but well above freezing!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Do you actually get winter in Arizona? [Big Grin]

Here in the greater Phoenix area we only get occasional dips below freezing. In over 30 years here, I've only seen a bit of snow a few times, and it doesn't stick.

However, Arizona is a big state, with major changes in elevation. Northern Arizona gets a lot of snow in the winter and has a lot of ski areas. Tucson is a little over 100 miles southeast of Phoenix, but at a higher elevation, so they're more apt to get freezing weather and snow.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... apparently there was snow in upstate New York yesterday ...

The word "flurries" featured on the Environment Canada web-site for Fredericton for tonight. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
... apparently there was snow in upstate New York yesterday ...

The word "flurries" featured on the Environment Canada web-site for Fredericton for tonight. [Waterworks]
Please send some of that down to Arizona. We just hit 100F.

This is the latest 100-degree high on record for Phoenix. The previous record was October 23, 2003. The normal high for October 27 is 84 degrees.

[Help]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Makes you wonder what kind of winter we're headed for. Perhaps "The winter of our discontent" depending on the election outcome.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
The word "flurries" featured on the Environment Canada web-site ...

We took a wee drive out of town this afternoon and there was snow.

It was the wet, splatty sort that doesn't lie for long (a friend refers to it as "fat rain") but it was actual snow. [Frown]

It's just as well that when D. spoke to the people who moved our furniture (and with whom it's still in storage) they said we should be able to get our snow-tyres if we need to.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Tangent] Sorry to hijack this thread, but can I remind all transatlantic friends that. If you wish to register for Secret Santa, the list will close on the 5th November [/tangent]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just dropping in to wish you all wisdom and discernment as you go to vote on Tuesday.

I couldn't put it better than the Queen did when someone asked her advice about the Scottish referendum: "Think very carefully before you cast your vote".

Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For Americans tomorrow, remember that if you get into line to vote they have to let you vote, even if the polls are going to close. Do not get out of line!

[ 07. November 2016, 23:54: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Well here it is, just a few hours from Election Day. I fear no matter who wins there's going to be trouble. Batten down your hatches, everyone, and hold on tight, it's gonna' be a rough one!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's early hours on the East Coast, West Coast is still in yesterday - the eyes of the world are watching you all and many prayers are ascending for wisdom over there.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just got back from voting. My polling place is the town library, which is less than a hundred yards from my house.

I used to vote later in the day, but there were long lines across the parking lot, and sometimes there was a cold wind. When I vote first thing in the morning, I don't have to wait at all.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I now vote by mail (or hand-deliver my ballot to an early voting place). When I did go to the polls, I always tried to go early in the day for presidential elections. Living in Arizona, the election has sometimes been decided before our polls close. I believe they're no longer allowed to announce results until all polls are closed in all time zones, but I remember my first presidential election after I moved here -- a friend went to vote after work, and while she was standing in line the result was announced. She said a lot of people left, which meant they didn't vote for any of the other candidates and issues.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something like that happened in New Hampshire years ago. It was the media who made the announcement, which turned out to be incorrect.

Back then, the cities, which tended to vote Democratic, had voting machines, while the towns, which tended to vote Republican, had paper ballots. The out-of-state reporters did not realize that paper-ballot returns come in much later than machine-ballot returns.

A half-hour before the polls closed, the national media announced that an incumbent US Senator had been defeated. Many people who had been driving to the polls turned around and went home without voting. When all the returns were in, the senator won handily.

New Hampshire now has a law that polling results may not be announced until after the polls have closed.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I voted.

Long lines but not unmanageable, and the guy gave me two "I voted" stickers! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The church I serve -- like many in this part of the country -- is in use as a polling station today. It would be super handy for me to zip downstairs and cast my ballot. But sadly, I'm not eligible to vote.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

My BFF and I are watching the reports now. I don't think I'll be able to stay awake for the whole thing, but really want to.

I did absentee voting, but handed it in to the supervisor of elections office. It's hard to trust that the mail will get there safely.

ETA, my 97-year old friend was with another friend for lunch where they were handing out pastries to folks wearing their "I voted" stickers. One of the local news stations came around and interviewed her once they found out she was born before women were allowed to vote. She proudly announced to the world that she voted for Hillary! [Big Grin]

[ 09. November 2016, 00:22: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since this is All Saints may I just say-- [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Votive]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why America why???????????
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016