homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belisarius:
This is also the first I've ever heard of Dominus, etc. pronounced with an "aw" sound instead of a long "o."

My Latin (quite ecclesiastical) is a cross between Pius XII and the fish market, but I know this problem very well. The odd part is that the vowel in Dominus is neither a long o nor an English "aw" - it is somewhat between the two sounds.

I remember, all too well, the days of RC Benediction, when I always seemed to have someone directly behind me singing, "O Salutaris Hostia" as "Oh Sa-lu-tear-es Ho-stee-a."

Worst of all was trying to get your garden variety choir (and, with a few notable exceptions, RC choirs tended to be dreadful) to perform anything in Gregorian chant. Hopeless to play records of Solesmes - they invariably thought that "reverent" meant "slow."

Of course, when chant involves a large group, and is heard from a distance, it does tend to sound good - regardless of some of the parts involved in the sum. One stereotype that is far from true is that "all nuns have beautiful voices." (They never sat next to some of the nuns that I did...) I remember one lovely Sister who used to intone "Benedictus Dominus Deus Israel" as if she were a cat in agony, and another who sounded absolutely "screechy" (though some of the older, more senile nuns thought she sounded like a little angel.)

In general (and, admittedly, as those who've read my mystery worship reports may have sensed, I have no addiction whatever to children), I've found that, in totally untrained groups (not marvellous boy choirs), children tend to range through at least three keys even singing the simplest of hymns. But there are enough people out there who are so enamoured of children's voices that attempts to point this out are futile.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[latin lesson]

It's a matter of quality versus quantity.

In English, the difference between a long and a short "o" is a matter of a different mouth shape and placement. Compound that with the fact that it's almost impossible not to move our rubbery little English-speaking lips, and hence the sound gets turned into a dipthong.

In Latin, it's a matter of quantity. "long" vowels take longer to pronounce than "short" vowels, but the quality of the vowel doesn't change. Our English-hearing ear interprets the slightly longer sound as a shift in quality or as an "accent." In reality, a long Latin vowel is the same quality as a short Latin vowel.

[/latin lesson]

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan the Dwarf:

Have you heard the raindrops drumming on the rooftops,
Have you heard the raindrops {something} on the ground,
Have you heard the raindrops {something something something}
And running to the rivers all around.

As you've made this run round my head, I will have to fill in the gaps....

Have you heard the raindrops drumming on the rooftops,
Have you heard the raindrops dripping on the ground,
Have you heard the raindrops splahing in the streams
And running to the rivers all around.

Chorus

2nd verse...

There's a busy workman, digging in the desert
Digging with a spade that flashes in the sun
Soon there will be water, rising in the wellshaft
Spilling from the bucket as it comes.

Not sure if this is metaphorical, or one of the usual weak attempts to make school-kids think about the 3rd world.

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
another who sounded absolutely "screechy" (though some of the older, more senile nuns thought she sounded like a little angel.)

That would be an angel with a big kick-ass sword, a rotating head and guide wheels, yes?

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

Doyou know the Saviour died?
raised again in three short days?
Me, the one for whom he died,
Far away he took my sins.
So I'll love him ever more!
Love I never knew before!
T, that stands for Calvary!
That means Je-sus died for Me!

Just thought I'd share this with you - it's amazing what you can find when You're bored enough:

Dough, the stuff that buys me beer.
Ray, the guy who brings me beer.
Me, the guy who drinks the beer.
Far, a long way to get beer.
So, I'll have another beer.
La, I'll have another beer.
Tea, no thanks I'm having beer.
That will bring us back to...
(reaching the crescendo of his toast,
Homer looks into his beer mug,
which is empty) ...DOH!!!
--Homer Simpson

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thought is slightly off the track of this thread, but has some relevance, so I wanted to add yet another general complaint, partly for the edification of younger shipmates who do not recall the... relevance and such popular in the 1960s-70s.

Here and there, one would find a writer, teacher, or church musician who would use currently popular rock music/lyrics which they attempted to relate to Christian teachings. It was all rather ridiculous, looking back - I thought then, and think now, that most of what they attempted to use as a gospel illustration actually had to do with sex or drugs. I once heard a confirmation class recite "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" at their ceremony, and that was one of the better ones!

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

frin

# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worship at a student society I attended last week included a "meditation" where we were asked to reflect on a pop/dance song about being happy to die right now in your arms. Apparently if we thought hard this would be like what we feel in the arms of God. I couldn't help but spend all 5 mins of the track pondering how selfish and rude it would be to die in the arms of your lover in a post-coital context (as per the song). 1st of all they'd have the question of deciding whether or not to re-dress you before calling the authorities and presumeably a cartload of emotional devestation while you are off floating in a moment of eternal bliss.

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would certainly put me off sex for a day or two....
frin

# 9

Exactly. How very thoughtless.

'frin

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to Latin for a moment:

Thanks to all the contributors. Both and I the choir were wrong in the entire pronounciation, though I'll recommend "egg shell sis" when I go back.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, Joan, thanks for reminding me about that 'Water of Life/Rupert the Bear'.

Here's another weather-inspired piece of wisdom:

'It's a happy day, and I thank God for the weather,
It's a happy day, living it for my Lord.
It's a happy day, things are gonna get better,
Living each day by the promises in God's word.

It's a grumpy day, and I can't stand the weather,
It's a grumpy day, living it for myself.
It's a grumpy day, and things aren't gonna get better,
Living each day with my Bible up on my shelf.'

So THAT's the answer to the question of suffering. Job and the Psalmists must be kicking themselves, eh?

The really great thing is that this gets included in 'Songs & Hymns of Fluf-I mean Fellowship', while 'Lord for the years' and 'All my hope on God is founded' aren't.

--------------------
Kindness is mandatory. Anger is necessary. Despair is a terrible idea. Despair is how they win. They won't win forever.

Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scottie
Apprentice
# 1528

- Posted      Profile for Scottie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my previous life as a worship group team member I can call to mind a wonderful range of gruesome offerings. One of my favourites for children's worship:

When I take a bath
I think about the Lord
And how he washed away my sins
Let me tell you more...

I can't remember all of it, but I do recall the wonderful line in the chorus:

Jesus fills me up with hope
And washes me with supersoap

Another "favourite" was Binky's song - which had a chorus referring to Jesus coming back riding his white horse over the heavens - all Terry Pratchet fans immediately thought of Death and Binky which destroyed the song completely.

Probably the best for a dreary Sunday morning has to be an Amy Grant number which has the uplifting lyrics

We believe in God, and we all need Jesus
cos life is hard - and it might not get easier...

Hope all your worship experiences this weekend are uplifting!

Scottie

Posts: 8 | From: Scotland | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
speaking of mispronouncing...

there was a song we used to sing bout 5/10 years ago, and the sunday school class group i was in actually thought the chorus went

'and i get so excited lord, everytime i realise i'm a gibbon, i'm a gibbon'!!!!!!

it explained a *lot* about certain of the adults in our church, we felt

Anna B - a better version of *that* christmas carol?

good king wencesles looked out
on the feast of steven
snowball hit him on the snout
made it all uneven
brightly shone the moon that night
though the pain was cruel
til the doctor came in sight
riding on his mule.

it goes on, but i don't remember it properly hth,

viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weather hymns .. you've reminded me of an old one. Can't remember the verses, but the chorus was:

Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need;
Raindrops around us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ptarmigan:
Weather hymns .. you've reminded me of an old one.

Did you have to?! I have just been reminded of one that my children sing in SS.

Have you seen the raindrops
falling from the sky
Have you seen the wind and sno-ow
Any kind of weather
that's all right by me,
ho! ho! ho! ho! ho!

I hate it I tell you, hate it!

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbell Ritchie
Shipmate
# 730

- Posted      Profile for Campbell Ritchie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
now that we are having more typical British autumnal weather, can anybody remember the wedding hymn that includes the line

"Bless the bride, upon her shower . . . . . "

?
CR

--------------------
The greatest problem about Christianity is that it condemns you to eternity with me.

Posts: 396 | From: Middlesbrough | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A thank you (!) to a friend in Australia for reminding me of this song after I'd said I left the last church after hearing "Shine Jesus Shine"...

(echo in parentheses)

Make way!
(Make way!)
Make way!
(Make way!)
For the King of Kings!
(For the King of Kings!)
Make way!
(Make way!)
Make way!
(Make way!)
And let His kingdom in!

I believe only the song leaders liked it...a fellow usher and I would always groan whenever it was flashed up on the OHP.

Admiral H.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I trust you didn't have to 'process' from the church hall into the church, following the guitarist and music group (so the tune was only carried by those close enough to hear)waving whatever greenery could be filched from the vicarage garden.

--------------------
Ann

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of mispronunciation....

Who else knows the 'highly- flavoured gravy' carol?

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...beautiful carol though......

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Ann

Curious
# 94

Would you believe that the (music) teacher who taught us that hymn complained that at her last school the kids sang the 'gravy' words and that we should not. I mean ter say - we didn't know that carol, let alone that variation before she said.

--------------------
Ann

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:

"There were 5 constipated men in the Bible, in the Bible, 5 constipated men.

I've also heard Titus.

Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:

Who else knows the 'highly- flavoured gravy' carol?

Can I claim ignorance, and dare I ask for it to be posted here?

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:

Ann wrote:

I trust you didn't have to 'process' from the church hall into the church, following the guitarist and music group (so the tune was only carried by those close enough to hear)waving whatever greenery could be filched from the vicarage garden.

No, but when I return to my church in Oz if that song ever comes up I'll be in spasms of laughter before the end of the first line! Thanks, Ann!

ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The angel Gabriel from Heaven came.
His wings as drifted snow; his eyes as flame.
"All hail" said he "Thou lowly maiden Mary",
"Most highly favoured lady. Gloria."

Lovely carol. Shame on those who mutilate the last line.

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

# 9

quote:
The angel Gabriel from Heaven came.
His wings as drifted snow; his eyes as flame.

Flaming eyes - check. Drifted snow sounds a bit wimpish for an angel.

'frin

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thank you, ptarmigan; I too had never heard it.

Talk of children's songs previously has triggered a memory of mine. I am sure this must be a kid's song (though a shaky one at that), yet we were subjected to it a number of times during church. Thankfully I can only remember...

Clap another hand, clap a hand next to you,
Clap another hand and sing this song.
Clap another hand, clap a hand next to you,
Clap another hand and sing this song.

What theological basis this has I'd be interested to know. Sure, clap your hands because the Lord has done great things; clap your hands for He has saved us...but clap your hands for the sake of it!?!?!

Admiral H.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admiral Holder's clapping song is probably used in church for the same reason as we used to sing in Sunday School: if you're happy and you know it clap your hands. Although there is no specific Christian reference, it is 'supposed' to signify that all Christians are ecstatically happy because they have Christ within them, no Christians (except the 'spiritually dead' ones are ever gloomy or depressed) so we always go about clapping our hands and with big beaming smiles. Very soon you grow up and realise you have been sold a pack of lies because it is all codswallop, but it's a nice illusion while it lasts!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

I (fortunately - for them and for myself) have little experience with small children, but just enough to remember some godawful record that was popular in religion classes for little ones about 20 years ago. I am not sure my memory serves me, but the one song that mercilessly sticks in my mind was something like this:

Hi God, how do you feel today?
(intermediate verse thanking God for family, friends, and certain food if I recall)
Can you hear us, God?
You're our best friend, God.

The same record had (I'm cringing at the memory) a very happy clappy song, along these lines:
I've got a joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart (Where?),
Down in my heart (Where?),
Down in my heart.
I've got a joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart,
Down in my heart to stay.

And we're so happy, so very happy,
We've got the love of Jesus in our hearts. (Repeat)

Other verses spoke of having "A love for Jesus," "a love for all people," and probably other loves "down in my heart."

But the last verse (I was one of the nuns who knew how to play a guitar... I'm dying remembering when I had to accompany this at a first penance service) was the worst:
And if the devil doesn't like it,
He can sit on a tack (Where?)...etc.

Of course, I am uncertain whether discerning little ones would have looked at me at that point and believed the "and we're SO happy" part... I console myself remembering that Francis himself could not have found the stigmata so pleasant (even if many of the statues of him make it look as if he's receiving Swedish massage.)

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else ever heard the bit of doggerel entitled "The Unitarian Christmas Carol"? I'll try to reconstruct as best I can:

God rest ye, Unitarians, let nothing you dismay
Remember there's no evidence there was a Christmas Day.
When Christ was born is just not known, no matter what they say,
O, tidings of reason and fact, reason and fact, etcetera.

There was no star of Bethlehem, there was no angel song.
There could have been no wise men for the journey was too long.
The stories in the Bible are historically wrong.
O, tiding of reason and fact...

Your Christmas celebration comes from Turkey and from Greece,
or winter celebrations of the ancient Middle east.
In fact, your so-called holiday is but a pagan feast,
O, tidings of reason & fact...

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I wish I'd known that one last year! I had to take a service in a Unitarian church one Sunday last Advent and I took the pagan roots of Christmas (well, there's not really much that's Christian about traditional or modern Christmases, after all) as my theme. I could have made them sing it!

Oddly enough British Unitarians get surprisingly atavistic about Christmas - they have carol services and sing the most incarnational sort of carols without batting an eyelid (and they didn't like my remarks about nature worship in the depths of the winter either). The sight of a roomful of Unitarians singing something like 'In the bleak midwinter' and coming out with lines like 'The Lord God Almighty. Jesus Christ' has to be seen to be believed.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jasper
Shipmate
# 110

- Posted      Profile for Jasper     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Would you believe that the (music) teacher who taught us that hymn complained that at her last school the kids sang the 'gravy' words and that we should not. I mean ter say - we didn't know that carol, let alone that variation before she said.

My music teacher tried the same thing - a long story about how her father had been thrown out of his church choir for singing said words. We had never heard the carol before either, and of course, we thought it was a great joke and copied every time we sang it.

But then we had a tradition of seeing who could get away with standing next to a teacher in Prayers and sing the 'wrong words' to certain hymns, like My eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord (i.e. the version about the unfortunate freefaller)...

[rogue UBB edited]

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: frin ]

Posts: 175 | From: Bristol | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother did a strangly similar thing at my wedding. He knew that if our Mum started crying then it would be a hard task to stop her. So the dear boy took it upon himself to made sure that she didn't cry.

He sang stupid words to all of the hymns, and made little 'comments' during the 'Ministers words'. My Mum ketpt trying to move a littel further away from him, and the effect was that she was 'chased' across the front pew in the church, whilst trying not to giggle.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

Talking of daft music teachers (circa 1970 something):

Our school choir had been rehearsing 'Ave Maria'(Holst setting) for the forthcoming annual Commemoration service. We'd already performed it a couple of times,and had succeeded in giving a pretty competent rendering of said piece.

Then... at the 11th hour, our poor teacher received instructions from a higher authority (the headmistress)to make a slight change in the wording. Apparently, "Sancta Maria, ora pro nobis," was not on...we were a C Of E Church school, and members of the board of governors were to attend the service. I'm sure the thought of their collective displeasure ranked far above the prospect of a thunderbolt being rained down on the company by the almmighty, (ecumenism not having been invented in those days!)

Well, we scrubbed the offending phrase, and bunged in an extra 'Sancta Maria' in its place. Didn't work, though. There was always some bright spark who messed it up!

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Newman's Own - you missed a verse!!!! remember
i've got the peace that passes understanding down in my heart (where?)
down in my heart (where?)
i've got the peace that passes understanding down in my heart (where?)
down in my heart to stay!

to scan it properly you take a deep breath at the beginning of the verse, then last through til the end, gasping for oxygen

oh, and the higher and the squeakier you can make your 'where's?' the better

once we're into november i might start reprising some ahem *alternative* christmas carol lyrics, just to get everyone in the mood for christmas shopping *evil grin*

remember to sing them at all carol services you attend - and the louder you sing the better....

viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To get back to "the angel Gabriel" carol---I thought the line was "most highly flavored baby."

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbell Ritchie
Shipmate
# 730

- Posted      Profile for Campbell Ritchie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eleanor has tol dme who the 6th of the constipated men in the Bible was. . . .

Peter, who was solid as a rock.

da_musicman is of course right about Titus, who was the 7th.

Titus [full stop]

CR

--------------------
The greatest problem about Christianity is that it condemns you to eternity with me.

Posts: 396 | From: Middlesbrough | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is another stanza to "I've Got the Joy".

You take an extremely deep breath and sing, "I've got that wonderful love of my blessed Redeemer way down in the depths of my heart."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Newman's Own reminded me of another "joyful" song...

Joy is the flag flown high
From the castle of my heart
Joy is the flag flown high
When the King is in residence there!

After reading and remembering the "Countdown" song, I am rememebered that at the time the Sunday School I attended added a "Tick Tick Tick Tick Boom!" at the end.

What I remember though was Will Smith's "Boom! Shake the Room!" single had come out around the same time and it too had "Tick Tick Tick Tick Boom!" as a line...I kept imagining Jesus' return having a lot to do with Will Smith!

Admiral H.

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I continue to be tormented by:

Spirit be our Spirit
In this time of searching for new life (Spirit be our Spirit)
Spirit be our Spirit
In this time of searching for new life
(Spirit be our Spirit)
Spirit, let us now beeeeee
And forever transformed for all humaniteeeee

This song has no real end. Whoever is leading it has to be wrestled to the floor.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Late Quartet

Irredeemably speciesist?
# 1207

- Posted      Profile for Late Quartet   Author's homepage   Email Late Quartet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't have a face like a coffee pot
A coffee-pot is long and thin
Just have a face like a tea-pot
Other souls to Jesus win.

We want everybody to happy
We want everybody to be glad
We want everbody to be happy in the Lord
(Shouted)AND WE DON'T WANT ANYBODY SAD

You probably won't believe this song even exists, but it truly does and I think it is worthy of an award.

I learnt it at a 'Children's Christian Crusade' in 1978 in Sheffield when I was 11.

LQ

--------------------
Late Quartet is cycling closer to Route 6 than Route 66 these days.

Posts: 899 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robin
Shipmate
# 71

- Posted      Profile for Robin   Author's homepage   Email Robin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been most informative. One further question about vowels: am I right in thinking that the same principle governs the pronunciation of 'a's as 'i's; viz. that the difference between the short and long versions is purely a matter of duration, not sound quality. For example, I have been pronouncing "gratias" with the first 'a' as in cat and the second 'a' as in hard (southern English). From what I read, I would guess that the both 'a's should be pronounced as in hard, with the first being shorter than the second. Is that right? (Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure that the second 'a' IS a long 'a', but that doesn't affect the general point).

I suspect that if I try this I'll end up being thought ignorant of elementary Latin grammar by my classically trained companions, but we'll see what happens.

Robin.

Posts: 263 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robin - Gratias would be closer to (southern English) "Grut-si-arse" than "Grat-". The sound is somewhere in between.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Late Quartet:
Don't have a face like a coffee pot
A coffee-pot is long and thin
Just have a face like a tea-pot
Other souls to Jesus win.

We want everybody to happy
We want everybody to be glad
We want everbody to be happy in the Lord
(Shouted)AND WE DON'T WANT ANYBODY SAD

You probably won't believe this song even exists, but it truly does and I think it is worthy of an award.

I learnt it at a 'Children's Christian Crusade' in 1978 in Sheffield when I was 11.

LQ

I can give you the phone numbers of some good counsellors if need help.

I really thought we'd plumbed the absolute depths already on this thread, but that and the Spirit song just...well...it's enough to make you Tractarian.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remmber a church service when I was four years old at my grandparents' Protestant church. To my ear, one of the hymns mentioned gravy several times, and it perplexed me so much that I refused any gravy at the family dinner after church. Can anyone guess the hymn?

Greta

Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of one which talks of giving Jesus "all the homemade stew"..

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
one of the hymns mentioned gravy several times,

how about

Up from the gravy 'e arose,
with a mightly triumph o'er his foes
He arose the victory from the dark domain
and lives for ever with the saints to reign.
He arose,
He arose,
Hallaluja Chirst arose

bb

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bb

You got it, and I was most horrified by verse one: "Low in the gravy lay..."

Greta

babybear
# 34

I was going to make it more Sunday lunch-ish.

Up for the gravy 'e arose,
with a mighty turnip on his fork
He arose from the table to get his bread...

but decided against it. I don't want to re-traumatise poor Greta

bb

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

My mis-heard childhood song was the Christmas hymn: "...and with jellied toast proclaim, Christ is born in Bethlehem."

I still insist on having that on Christmas morning.

tomb

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016