homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: A small group experience in spiritual formation (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: A small group experience in spiritual formation
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Plain Old Wally:
It might make your therapy-mates uncomfortable, but I think it's time to go into original sin in excruciating detail when it's your turn to talk next.

Well, we were supposed to tell our prayer triage what we wanted them to pray for us this coming week. I thought about saying "that my rug burns won't scar", but in a moment of cowardice just said "healing".
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best to watch yourself around laughing guy I suppose.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I plan on keeping the width of the conference room table between us at all times.
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes, the old hard to get routine.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, See-nay, if your little triads don't swap around, then I strongly suggest you try to turn yours into a resistance cell. It could work wonders. After you finish your bomb, I think you'll find all the rest of the group praying very fervently as you detail your demands.

They want spiritual? Give 'em spiritual.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm curious just exactly how you were forced into this group... were you frog-marched to the door and then hand-cuffed to your chair?

Tell them that fill in the blank spiritual experience reminds you of lobsters making love... (apologies / thanks to Kelly for saying it first) or of a fluffy bunny with an axe on a rampage.

(attribute ideas correctly)

[ 14. October 2003, 20:18: Message edited by: Joyeux ]

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Joyeux:
I'm curious just exactly how you were forced into this group... were you frog-marched to the door and then hand-cuffed to your chair?

Close.

My rector told me twice I really needed to do it. And she tends to be right about these things in the long run. Either that or the church is overstocked with the textbooks and she wanted to unload some.

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Our rector made it perfectly clear that you weren't obligated to share more than you wanted to, and that silence was more than acceptable. But then several people started spilling their guts. They are newish members of the church and come from non-Anglican traditions. Me and the lady who are cradle Episcopalians sat there looking mortified. In fact, she had thought it was a Bible study class and was a bit taken aback when she found she was expected to talk about herself.

A comrade-in-arms! You should get together and plan what you're both going to share, so that what each of you says seems to "miraculously" fit with the other's testimony. The other will marvel at how God is working simultaneously in your lives, and will be so moved and impressed by your spirituality that they might ask you to teach the next set of classes!

OTOH, that might not be the best idea.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Joyeux:

Close.

My rector told me twice I really needed to do it. And she tends to be right about these things in the long run. Either that or the church is overstocked with the textbooks and she wanted to unload some.

OK. Let's say your rector is right about this for a moment (but only a moment). Spiritual discipline requires some honesty. Within reason, why not be yourself?

I'm not saying that you should march in and lead the revolution. On the other hand, what is wrong with some sarcasm if it is what you are actually feeling?

Your rector may want you in the class because it can be dreadfully boring with the paste-on happy faces type of people [Yipee] . Since you are not a paste-on happy face type of person, you can add a spark and some honesty to create some lively discussion. If someone comments about your humor, you can always point out that this is what you are feeling.

Just leave the language at Purgatorial levels. Maybe.

The worst that can happen to you is that your rector realizes that this wasn't the course for you, then you will be free. The best that can happen is that this class becomes enjoyable and meaningful for you.

Doing theology is as much or more getting in contact with your reaction to a passage, not just finding out the right and wrong ways to think. If you want rights and wrongs, study religion instead. (See, I did learn something from EFM.)

[ 14. October 2003, 23:22: Message edited by: The Bede's American Successor ]

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
On the other hand, what is wrong with some sarcasm if it is what you are actually feeling?

I dunno. The list of ground rules is pretty bland and affirming.

And one of them says we have to "Honor the different ways God works in individuals." I think that cuts out sarcasm.

I know why she's doing it. She wants me to interact outside my comfort level.

*sigh*

We go way back, and I know she has my best interests at heart, but, Lordy, it's going to be grim.

And Laughing Man is going to want to be my friend. I just know he is. He's going to want to go have coffee and tell me all about growing up Southern Baptist and discovering his true sexuality. Which, trust me on this, was best left undiscovered.

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
On the other hand, what is wrong with some sarcasm if it is what you are actually feeling?

And one of them says we have to "Honor the different ways God works in individuals." I think that cuts out sarcasm.

Doesn't this mean they all have to honor how God works in you as well? It's a two-way street, my dear.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
And Laughing Man is going to want to be my friend. I just know he is. He's going to want to go have coffee and tell me all about growing up Southern Baptist and discovering his true sexuality. Which, trust me on this, was best left undiscovered.

Are we flattering ourselves tonight? Maybe he'll want to meet your brother, instead.

Besides, I'm half-SB myself--mother's side of family--which is somewhat like being half-assed (which I'm sure you'll agree with immediately [Big Grin] ). I even went to Baptist Sunday Schools and Vacation Bible Schools for a while when growing up.

Fortunately the grand and overarching truth of the Episcopal Church, the True Bible Church(TM), kept its hold on me.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Are we flattering ourselves tonight?

Sure you're not Queen Victoria's American Successor?
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

I would really only start to worry if your rector suggests that your therapy-group head down to the bus station to "rustle up" some new members.

I guess I would also start to worry if laughing guy starts putting his hand on your shoulder a lot.

I would probably also worry if asked to discuss anything personal. But that's me.

Perhaps I would also worry if they wanted to start doing trust building exercises.

The rest should be worry free.

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Perhaps I would also worry if they wanted to start doing trust building exercises.

Like the one with six pieces of cardboard and two drinking straws?

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just not true that you don't have any deep spiritual thots Sine - you just need to identify them. Take for instance your OP... why don't you tell them
quote:
I hate holding hands unless we're having sex later.
It could lead the group in all sorts of interesting directions!

Alternatively, I quite like the quote (from Teresa of Avila???) who said that "I don't love you Lord, I do not even want to love you. But I do want to want to love you."

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
quote:

Like the one with six pieces of cardboard and two drinking straws?
That's a trust-building exercise? They told me it was sexual experimentation! [Paranoid]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

I have the pride, and/or shame of not knowing what either of you are talking about.
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have the pride, and/or shame of not knowing what either of you are talking about.

Then there's the one with five pieces of wood of unequal length. Brother, you'd better pray they never get you involved in that one.

"Trust-building" and "team building" exercises were a management blight in the early nineties, along with corporate paint-ball. Hell is being trapped in a room with four corporate lawyers and a litigator, as they demonstrate their contempt for architectural aesthetics and inability to understand the laws of physics, in building an edifice capabable of supporting a house brick out of bits of cardboard, sticky tape and drinking straws.

--------------------

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

quote:
quote:
quote:

Doesn't this mean they all have to honor how God works in you as well? It's a two-way street, my dear.
And do they know all the different ways too? Honouring them all could take some time.

Probably is meant to cut out sarcasm and other parlour games.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I forgot to mention...

There was a large hammered brass bowl (Our Maundy Thursday bowl, I think.) on the table with three candles stuck in sand, which we lit to symbolize God's presence among us.

Unfortunately, the three candles were all different heights. The whole time I kept wondering who each candle represented, and what kind of heresy, since they weren't all the same height. It bugged the hell out of me.

Like I said earlier, hanging around here has ruined me for normal church interaction.

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

quote:
on the table with three candles stuck in sand
You should have blown them out and told everybody you wished could leave.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You should share the spiritual experiences you've had in Hell.

That would wake them up. [Devil]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And do they know all the different ways too? Honouring them all could take some time.

Probably is meant to cut out sarcasm and other parlour games.

Sarcasm does not have to be directed against anyone in the group or anyone's experiences that are in the group. You can do some self-deprecating humor, for example.

Also, sarcasm can be used to illustrate a point in a joking manner. For example, Jesus' reference to a camel and the Eye of the Needle could have been as much sarcasm as hyperbole.

I understand the need not to destroy other people through the use of humor or other means. On the other hand, I would simply be afraid of any program that expects you to not to protray yourself in a truthful and honest manner. Very afraid.

Moderation in all things, perchance?

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, don't any of your "friends" clutter up your e-mail by forwarding those sicky-sweet stories? You know, the one about the popular high school boy who decides to talk with the geeky kid, and later finds out that that single act of kindness made the geek decide not to go home and kill himself as he had planned?

When I went through RCIA (and despite what Duo Seraphim states, some RCs do get heavily into that holding hands in a circle to pray stuff [Projectile] ), people kept bringing in those things and invariably got asked by everyone for a copy, "because it's so inspiring!".

So I volunteered to do the opening prayer/reading and brought in the wonderful poem by St Symeon the New Theologian which begins:

quote:
We awaken in Christ's body
as Christ awakens our bodies,
and my poor hand is Christ. He enters
my foot, and is infinitely me.

(The full poem can be found here, you'll have to scroll down the page a bit.)

Needless to say, it went over like a lead balloon. The leader made a couple of polite noises, everyone else looked quite blank, and we quickly continued.

So much for being honest. I reverted to coming up with platitudes and whatever bits of gushy sentimentality my sarcastic, mystically-inclined, irreverent soul could provide, and I kept silent a lot.

I can just picture those three candles and what would happen if you tried to start a discussion about the actual symbolism of the unequal heights. Even if one other person understood what you were talking about, the rest would be sitting there blank-faced and clueless. What a shame, too, since that would be a great conversation! [Big Grin]

[Preview Post Is Your Friend]

[ 16. October 2003, 02:10: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

And shame on me, I'm already two days behind on this week's lesson. I guess I can do like when I used to take piano, and try and make it up in a couple of mammoth practice sessions...which never worked.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Sine, don't any of your "friends" clutter up your e-mail by forwarding those sicky-sweet stories?

Only with sarcastic comments attatched.

There was a woman in the accounting dept. who used to do mass forwarding of such things until I told her I thought I was developing diabetes from her e-mails and asked her to stop.

And now I've just come from choir rehearsal and found out that we're now expected to sing at monthly "alternative" services on Sunday evening. And even our director, who has a high tolerance for touchy-feely smarm, seems a little dismayed by what's on the plate for this Sunday. Which is really, really, scary. It must be bad because he's going to have us sing Rotter's Gaelic Blessing. And we're not going to vest because it would be too "formal".

Dear Lord in heaven, I'd like to be a Christian. I really would. But I'm not sure it's worth the effort. New Age Christianity is working my nerves badly. Will probably come in one Sunday and find a crystal on the altar.

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, if you find a crystal on the altar be sure to put a clear pyramid over it. I understand it keeps the crystal sharp. Or the razor blade sharp. Or something like that.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer my Krystals with a little extra mustard on them.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yavanna
Apprentice
# 5043

- Posted      Profile for Yavanna   Email Yavanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight at the campus ministry I've been going to, we had to get into groups and each come up with a "word picture that describes your relationship to Christ." [Help] I'm glad I saw this thread, because I didn't feel so guilty about thinking the little exercise was pretty silly.

Also, the leaders of the group seem to think that everything is tied to one's relationship with God. One of the girls decribed a guy in a conversation after the meeting: "If he's happy, it's about a girl. If he's sad, it's about a girl. If there's drama in his life, it's about a girl." The leader's response? He doesn't have a good relationship with God, and he's looking elsewhere to fulfill his needs. Had a bad week? Maybe your relationship with God has suffered. I know that a person's spiritual life is important, but is it really that important?

Posts: 20 | From: Oregon/Arizona | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Yavanna:
The leader's response? He doesn't have a good relationship with God, and he's looking elsewhere to fulfill his needs.

It's really hard to cuddle up to God at 2:00 AM. I think we all need a back-up relationship.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand spiritual needs, but surely those don't encompass physical and emotional needs as well. Or chocolate needs.

To be honest, I think I've managed to be generally quite happy with my spiritual needs fulfilled only vaguely - but I doubt anyone can be truly happy without physical, emotional, and chocolate support. Regardless of their spiritual state.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Maslow is right, once you get all those other needs sorted out, you'll feel the spiritual ones more acutely.

And clearly imbalances or unsettledness in one part of someone's life can spill over into other parts. We're not a congregation of hermetically sealed compartments -- all of these "parts" only exist on paper; in real life they all mesh and blend and interact, to greater or lesser extents.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

TRANSLATION: Mousethief needs more chocolate.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I'm finally acknowledging that I haven't a clue what spiritual needs are. I'm about at the point where I think if everyone had their emotional needs met, the churches would be empty.

I know none of the people in my class look like their emotional needs are being met.

Of course, there is the school of thought that says we don't show up on Sunday to fullfill our needs. But it's not a very popular school of thought at the mega-churches in the suburbs.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
TRANSLATION: Mousethief needs more chocolate.

Have you got any handy?

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Oh thanks a bunch for ignoring my late-night angst-ridden post, Alex, and going for the chocolate.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It always pays to humour the hell hosts, Sine. Their egos are so fragile.

--------------------

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

quote:
by Sine: I'm finally acknowledging that I haven't a clue what spiritual needs are. I'm about at the point where I think if everyone had their emotional needs met, the churches would be empty.
Serious question actually. How would you differentiate the two, i.e. spiritual and emotional needs?
biscuit
Shipmate
# 3550

- Posted      Profile for biscuit   Email biscuit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PO Wally wrote
quote:
How would you differentiate the two, i.e. spiritual and emotional needs?

First thoughts only!
Spiritual need is the need to have purpose in your life (ie so you are then able to value yourself). It's about seeking something higher or greater than yourself, ie something transcendant, that you can respond to.

Emotional need is the need to know others value you, so that you can respond to them.

A lot of people get 'em mixed up...

b.

--------------------
"The strength of the fish is in the water" (proverb)
Current flavour: Chocolate hobnob

Posts: 455 | From: South Hobbiton | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
PointlessAlbatross
Shipmate
# 4998

- Posted      Profile for PointlessAlbatross   Email PointlessAlbatross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just going back to the OP

quote:
So if you all could help me out with some good sincere spiritual cliches, I would be most grateful.

Isn't this therefore a homework thread and where's a host when you need one ? [Snigger]

--------------------
For God so loved the world he didn't send a committee

Posts: 167 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

quote:
Oh thanks a bunch for ignoring my late-night angst-ridden post, Alex, and going for the chocolate.

I thought he was kind of addressing the angst-ridden:
quote:
I'm finally acknowledging that I haven't a clue what spiritual needs are. I'm about at the point where I think if everyone had their emotional needs met, the churches would be empty.

I know none of the people in my class look like their emotional needs are being met.

Of course, there is the school of thought that says we don't show up on Sunday to fullfill our needs. But it's not a very popular school of thought at the mega-churches in the suburbs.

...by demonstrating that emotional needs can be fulfilled by chocolate. Isn't one of the best teaching methods demonstration? [Big Grin]

Another team-building exercise is the "trust fall." Can be fun, can be hideous.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

quote:
Originally posted by PointlessAlbatross:
Just going back to the OP

quote:
So if you all could help me out with some good sincere spiritual cliches, I would be most grateful.

Isn't this therefore a homework thread and where's a host when you need one ? [Snigger]
Nope, sorry, but helping with "homework" would be giving actual sincere answers. This is more along the lines of a parody, IMO. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by biscuit:

Spiritual need is the need to have purpose in your life.

Emotional need is the need to know others value you, so that you can respond to them.

Oh thank goodness I haven't paid for my book yet. I can quit the class. Thank-you, biscuit, for putting it so succinctly! Now I know the answers to life's tormenting questions without spending twenty-eight weeks with a bunch of losers.

My purpose in life is having people over to dinner. My emotional needs are filled by people thinking I'm cute and funny.

Problem solved.

Why do folks make such a big deal about these things?

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or you could stay in it and quietly subvert it.

"How congealed salads helped me to understand the concept of the Trinity!"

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Hmmm...nuts, marshmallows, and chopped dates...all held together by Jello. Three in one, and one in three.

I think we're on to something here.

But what does the Cool Whip on top represent?

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grace.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Aha!

I need to write this down in my spiritual journal.

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear SN

I'm not saying that groups like this can't have value. They can and do. However inexpertly run groups that can easily be hijacked can easily become either tiresome of spiritually abusive. Some people are better one-to-one anyway. I sometimes feel that there is an introverted small group fetish around at the moment. If you feel uncomfortable, don't assume it's because "you're repressing something brother." Just leave.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
I sometimes feel that there is an introverted small group fetish around at the moment.

There is the crux of the matter.

Even though there are all sorts of ground rules about only contributing what you are comfortable with, there is an unspoken pressure to produce "honesty" and to let it all hang out.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016