homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: A small group experience in spiritual formation (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: A small group experience in spiritual formation
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo, I am shocked, shocked that you would know of such a verse!

Sine, if your godson can draw a cigarette producing drifts of smoke, he should be able to draw a martini glass. It's not really a difficult shape to draw. Obviously you have been sheltering him and therefore shirking your duties as a godparent. Tsk, tsk.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Use one of the OT verses about practical things...like how to dig a latrine. Had great fun with that at summer camp!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by golden key:
Use one of the OT verses about practical things...like how to dig a latrine. Had great fun with that at summer camp!

Deut xxiii.13-14

With your utensils you shall have a trowel; when you relieve yourself outside, you shall dig a hole with it and then cover up your excrement. Because the LORD your God travels along with your camp, to save you and to hand over your enemies to you, therefore your camp must be holy, so that he may not see anything indecent among you and turn away from you.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Obviously you have been sheltering him and therefore shirking your duties as a godparent. Tsk, tsk.

Well I did let him help me fill out the place cards, which I think is important in any child's spiritual development. And before we went to table he switched them around to improve his placement, which shows I am having an influence.
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am quite reassured, Sine; obviously the lad has an inborn talent for picking out the essentials. Keep up the good work.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a feeling Sine's gonna be the "Uncle Buck" of his friend's family; the one guy his little nephew can go to for the truth about Life, the Universe, and Everything. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lady R of Ashwood
Shipmate
# 4788

- Posted      Profile for Lady R of Ashwood   Email Lady R of Ashwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not been afloat much of late, and this is once again only a fleeting visit to check on Sine's spiritual progress.

I am quite fond of the verse telling Israel that they should not trip up blind people or shout names at the deaf (no reference to hand, sadly) - makes you wonder exactly what kind of folk had Moses rescued, and why?? Not quite sure how it would link into the spiritual leaps and bounds that you are doubtless making tho...

Given that your coven is all up and running and the wagers are on the horses - before I place my metaphorical bet, are you a Maid, a Mother or a Crone? (what, you mean it isnt that sort of coven... how disappointing...Lady Vicar could have been the chief High Inquisitor and everything... I had it all worked out...sigh...)

--------------------
Are you kidding? Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Rev***e. Giants. Monsters. Chases. Escapes. True love. Miracles.

Posts: 420 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it never pays to be honest, that's for sure.

Apparently I was the only one whose favorite passage of scripture was the Valley of the Dry Bones from Ezekiel. Is that really so strange? I think it's neat. Reminds me of a scene I once saw in one of those cheesey Italian mythology epics.

We were also supposed to draw two trees in our journal. One tree was supposed to be our life as it is now. The second tree was supposed to be our life as it could be. Between the two trees we were supposed to write passages of scripture that for us had been streams of nourishment and growth.

I just couldn't do it. I had to admit to the group "Sorry. I don't do trees at my age." Besides, the Valley of the Dry Bones was not going to be helpful in this context.

The rector did manage to put a positive spin on it, however. She said that we were all at different levels of spiritual developement and that was one of the strengths of the group. I tried not to take it personally.

Ms Mystical did drop a bit of a bombshell, in my opinion. We were discussing if we thought God had a plan for our lives and she mentioned she was quite sure she was working in the field God meant for her to be in because a psychic had once immediately identified her career when she went for a reading. But in case we got the wrong idea and thought she was flaky or something, she immediately assured us it was a reputable psychic. That was certainly a relief.

We did the sentence prayer thing again. The rector said it was OK to pass if you weren't comfortable with it. It got around to me and there was this long silence before I finally said "I pass." I really wanted to say "two clubs", but didn't have the nerve. There's something kind of intimidating about group spiritual pressure.

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally dealt by Sine Nomine:
But in case we got the wrong idea and thought she was flaky or something, she immediately assured us it was a reputable psychic.

I don't know if you've been up Gallatin Road lately, but a psychic has moved into the house right next door to our preacher's home, two doors up from the church building. There's neon signs in the windows, and we are having great fun with the minister about it.

His wife baked a cake and took it over. When the psychic came to the door, Beth said, "If you can tell me what kind of cake is in this box, you can have it."

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
... a psychic has moved into the house right next door to our preacher's home, two doors up from the church building. There's neon signs in the windows, and we are having great fun with the minister about it.

His wife baked a cake and took it over. When the psychic came to the door, Beth said, "If you can tell me what kind of cake is in this box, you can have it."

[Killing me]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 729 | From: the antipodes | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:

If this board teaches people nothing else, at least that message is clear.

There's no way I would be able to resist pretending to suffer a spontaneous demon possession, complete with props. Palm some glow-in-the-dark yellow contact lenses and some blood packets, so that I clutch my face and red fluid spatters down my cheeks and when my hands snap away I've got this Sarkycow-like glare. Then I think about what it would be like to host The Circus and barf up the pea soup I ate just before the meeting specifically to splatter on everyone. Having an incindiary squib in a bible might be a nice touch too.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do I get the impression that your film watching is a constant diet of horror movies, RooK? (I'm assuming that the latter part of your post is a reference to the Exorcist. I have just got this on DVD, but haven't quite worked up the courage to watch it yet).

Sine, all I can say is, I admire your guts. There's no way I'd have survived this far without making some awful joke or something just to relieve the atmosphere.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I admit to the odd joke of two. Our rector has made it clear that it's OK to laugh. But I restrict them to break time or the end of the meeting.

I did get a good laugh from Moo's rather racy Bible verse. And at the end I commented that I really needed to memorize some good extemporaneous prayers.

However my true feelings betrayed themselves when I left the room without getting my overcoat. (It was freezing outside.) Then I got to the door and realized I'd also forgotten by bookbag. As I went back a second time I said "Gee, I must be really anxious to get out of here. Ha ha."

Then as I was leaving for the third time, my friend, who has read part of this thread, started whispering what I think of as the "Prayer of Saint Sarky" in my ear. So I exited in an inappropriate fit of the giggles.

georgia
Shipmate
# 4875

- Posted      Profile for georgia   Email georgia       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just fled from small group meeting to learn to 'Pray effectively' Luckily its only 5 sessions long . Asked to hand in our prayers that we had wrtten this week. Ran away to macdonalds and ate a lot of very bad food very fast . Now fat , unspiritual and mute.

--------------------
'I am not much in the mood for deep talk.'. Daisy Ashford

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh*

I already gave pointers out on prayer.

How can you people still not do it right?

Sheesh. It's enough to make you as crazy as RooK.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Apparently I was the only one whose favorite passage of scripture was the Valley of the Dry Bones from Ezekiel....

We were also supposed to draw two trees in our journal....

I just couldn't do it....

The rector...said that we were all at different levels of spiritual developement and that was one of the strengths of the group. I tried not to take it personally.

We did the sentence prayer thing again....I really wanted to say "two clubs", but didn't have the nerve. There's something kind of intimidating about group spiritual pressure.

Some people are into S&M for their pleasure through pain. Apparently some are into Cookbook Spirituality for theirs. What type of fear and loathing of one's self does it take to continue with this type of group?

If you are correct when thinking that this group would not appreciate "two clubs," see if you try the seminarians class, instead. Maybe that coven does not have a stick-up-their-butt attitude towards different people.

If you are told that this is not possible, stay home on Monday nights, light a candle for them, and enjoy some good Bourbon. To quote Glenda, "Come out, come out, where ever you are."

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

There's no way I would be able to resist pretending to suffer a spontaneous demon possession, complete with props. Palm some glow-in-the-dark yellow contact lenses and some blood packets, so that I clutch my face and red fluid spatters down my cheeks and when my hands snap away I've got this Sarkycow-like glare. Then I think about what it would be like to host The Circus and barf up the pea soup I ate just before the meeting specifically to splatter on everyone.
There's a fair bit of mileage in speaking in tongues, though. It would solve the sentence prayer problem too.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
What type of fear and loathing of one's self does it take to continue with this type of group?

Oh Bede, I guess I haven't made myself clear. I've got lots of loathing, but very little fear. I'm perfectly capable of telling God, if in fact he/she/it is there "fuck you." And I'll deal with the consequences, if any, at a later date.

But sometimes I wish there was some outside help and you didn't have to do it all, all by yourself. That's why I'm there. But I can do it all, all by myself, if I have to. Not fun, but do-able.

And I am something of an empath, believe it or not. Most of these folks are obviously hurting in one way or another. Pity they can't see that pain is funny on occasion, but, whatever. We were not all given a sense of irony.

I just can't make a smart remark when my Smarm-Alarm goes off if other people seem to be being sincere.

So, to answer you question, what I'm hoping at the very least the class will teach me is humility, in which I am sorely lacking.

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
What type of fear and loathing of one's self does it take to continue with this type of group?

So, to answer you question, what I'm hoping at the very least the class will teach me is humility, in which I am sorely lacking.
Is church the best place to find this?

This question is not asked lightly. Forget not the assembly of the saints is good direction for all of us. You cannot be a "lone Christian," at least not for long. We live in community.

Sometimes, though, you have to consider that Bonhoeffer might have been on to something when in, Letter and Papers from Prison, where we read how he felt closer to non-Christians socially and intellectually.

Over the past year or so I have found new friends that are teaching me what I need to know in the area of humility and working as part of a group. I have seen true selfless care and concern shown for those outside the group. I'm taking these lessons back with me to church.

Did I mention these friends are members of the Border Riders, a gay biker club from British Columbia to Oregon?

Let me quote from a part of my introduction to the current membership, written as a part of my membership application. This introduction was supposed to tell relevant information about your history with motorcycles and why you want to be a Border Rider. (Anyone wanting the complete spiel send me a PM.) I've added some explanation inside brackets so you all will understand the context.

quote:
To say 2002 was a bad year for me would be an understatement. My father almost died. My sister-in-law's husband went a bit crazy, and tried to commit suicide (something that still affects us). There were serious problems at work. Then, my partner agreed to house sit in Seattle in September. Like I wanted to take care of two elderly cats. At least the house was on the north end of Capitol Hill, giving me the opportunity to make it to a Meet and Greet [for the Border Riders]. I was ready.

[The Border Rider "Meet and Greet" in Seattle is always the Wednesday evening before the monthly run or meeting.]

The Saturday after the Meet and Greet I thought I was going to ride over to [the September run at] Winthrop and back in a day. After all, I simply had to be back in Seattle on Sunday (I thought). After riding [30 mi/50 km] up to Everett to take care of many things at home, I set out later than I wanted. Actually, it was so late I did not arrive in Winthrop until about 5:00 pm. I did not make it back home that night, and the world did not end.

[Because of deer migration, it is dangerous to drive an automobile at night in the Winthrop/Methow Valley area in mid-September. Riding a bike in the dark would have been suicide. They had not planned on me eating dinner that night with the group, but had enough to feed me. I was put-up with a spare sleeping bag someone just happened to have along. Temperatures dipped well below freezing that evening.]

I do not know how to express my gratitude in the way you all took me in and cared for me. While I know it was not true, it felt like the first time all year someone took care of me. Not only that, it was the kindness of strangers. When riding home on Sunday I thought my smile was going to break my face.

Officer Frank said in a newsletter article that he enjoyed the fraternal care expressed among the members of the Border Riders. I am going to take that one step further. The Border Riders care for everyone, member or not. I want to be with all of you because every time I am with the group I learn something new about my attitudes in caring for others while enjoying the fellowship of riding and campfire.

Mr. Nomine, are you looking for love in all the wrong places? Like church?

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just having a flashback to my childcare days, when I was working at a Covenant Church down the Peninsula. I don't know about covenent churches in general, but this place was like someone put the Baptist Church in a big pot with Lutheranism, boiled it down a bit, strained off anything resembling funk, and put what was left over in a punchbowl with 7-up and sherbet.
So there I am at a staff meeting, surrounded by earnst silcon Valley youths. Then, of to one side , there was Kelly the Apostate Lutheran and Matt and Denise the semi-practicing Catholics. We were passed meeting agendas on sheets of paper, then we were asked to bow out heads for opening prayer.
I never close my eyes during prayer--might miss something--so I bent my head over the agenda and noticed this:

3. Mr Happy

I quietly picked up a pen, underlined this item, and passed the paper to Matt without comment. I felt him begin to shake next to me, and saw him pass the paper to Denise. A muffled snort.On the margins of my agenda, we began to dream up possibilities for needing to make Mr. Happy a point of order . As the prayer ended and the meeting began, we were completly unable to contribute.

The director kept shooting us looks, then fianlly glanced down at her agenda and caught on . She glared and told us to grow up.

Finally someone explained that Mr. Happy was a motivational speaker for youth workers.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly Alves-
quote:
I don't know about covenent churches in general, but this place was like someone put the Baptist Church in a big pot with Lutheranism, boiled it down a bit, strained off anything resembling funk, and put what was left over in a punchbowl with 7-up and sherbet.

I don't know anything about covenent churches at all but you've now ruined me for considering them with any kind of sobriety.

[Killing me]

I just wanted you to know that, Kel. [Snigger] [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well, the fact that this church was in Silicon Valley may have made a difference [Biased]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, I have always had a great affection for the tale of Jael murdering Sisera by driving a tent peg through his temple while hiding him from Barak (Judges iv, 13 ff): "Then Jael Heber's wife took a nail of the tent, and took an hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground: for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died" (21). I read it to class in 7th grade home room one time when it was my turn to lead devotions. That was the last time I ever got on that rota, and it was soon after that Mrs. Hessenthaler stopped having devotions altogether in her classroom. I pride myself in having done my part to insure the separation of Church and State.
Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

No report will be forthcoming this week.

The book is so upbeat and seems to assume if only you'd just talk more to your friend Jesus everything would be peachy-keen.

Just couldn't face it this evening somehow.

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya big wuss -- what happened to taking one for the team?

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just sing with me, Sine:

"Now let us have a little talk with Jesus.
Let us tell Him all about our sorrow.
He will hear our faintest cry,
And He will answer by and by.

Now when you feel a little prayerful yearnin',
As your heart unto heaven is turnin',
(Big finish:)
You will find a little talk with Jesus makes it right.
It... makes.... it... riiiigghhtttt!"

Now, aren't you sorry you didn't go?

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Allright, allright, allright!

I was off five days last week and spent the whole time in bed eating bon-bons and reading cheap novels instead of doing my spiritual exercises and was totally unprepared for class tonight.

Are you happy now?

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I was off five days last week and spent the whole time in bed eating bon-bons and reading cheap novels instead of doing my spiritual exercises and was totally unprepared for class tonight.

Are you happy now?

Tut, tut, Sine. St Ignatius of Loyola composed his spiritual exercises when laid up in bed with a leg wound.

But when I had a cold last week, I spent a happy day curled up on the sofa, drinking soup and watching a particularly horrifying episode of Jerry Springer. I can hardly talk, can I?

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
Just sing with me, Sine:

"Now let us have a little talk with Jesus.
Let us tell Him all about our sorrow.
He will hear our faintest cry,
And He will answer by and by.

Now when you feel a little prayerful yearnin',
As your heart unto heaven is turnin',
(Big finish:)
You will find a little talk with Jesus makes it right.
It... makes.... it... riiiigghhtttt!"

Now, aren't you sorry you didn't go?

Grits, dear, how do you get away with this sort of thing? People have been eviscerated in Hell for less.

I figger you're aiming to be excommunicated from your church so you can embrace your Inner Anglican. I'll be happy to play the organ at your confirmation.

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't believe him Grits. tomb offered me a Canned Heat record, a roll of quarters and a ham if I got baptized and I haven't gotten a damned thing yet.
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

I never offered you a Canned Heat record. What are you smoking?
Grits
# 4169

Thank you for the offer, tomb, but you know I don't believe in organ music.

Wally, I would not only hold out for the roll of quarters, but I'd insist they be newly issued State commemorative quarters. (I'm missing a few.)

BTW, welcome home, tomb. You were missed. It looks like you had a wonderful trip. Offspring is adorable.

[Edited to add suck up to tomb.]

[ 02. December 2003, 01:30: Message edited by: Grits ]

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Yeah, I know you "don't believe" in organ music. That's why I offered. I figured if you took me up on it, then we would know that you had been truly converted.

"Adorable" is not a word I would employ ordinarily for the Offspring. He's really a very nasty child.

We did have an absolutely splendid time. And nobody tried to poison us.

BTW: The Musicians of St. Clare sang Compline every night we were in Assisi and Rome. Unaccompanied. It was mostly simple Gregorian tones to the psalms (pointed my yours truly)--except on St. Cecelia's day and the Solemnity of Christ the King when we sang hymns. You would have been right at home.

When we sang Evening Prayer with the Poor Clare sisters at the protomonastery in Assisi, they chanted the psalms accompanied by something that sounded like a Farfisa combo organ with tremulant set to Stun. So I can certainly understand your antipathy to accompanied music if that was all it was about.

As far as that goes, it does not strike me as odd that virtually every organ I have ever heard in Rome sucked the big one. Inasmuch as the Holy Martyrs who met their death in the Roman circuses did so accompanied by the equivalent of Roman pop culture tunes on water-powered organs, it is remarkable that they have instrumental music at all. The first big quarrel about accompanied music was because people found it difficult praising the Lord encouraged by the same instrument that played their brothers and sisters to their deaths because of their witness to Christ's incarnation, atonement, and resurrection.

The organ is prohibited by Roman canon law during Lent, but that is a programming decision to make its return at Easter all the more powerful. My experience is that they might as well not bother.

All that being said, as I wrote in a PM to Amos this evening, I remain firmly convinced that an organist can convert just about anybody to Faith--as long as they can play long enough and the victim--er, convert--doesn't drop dead of a cerebral hemorrhage out of sheer obstinacy first.

I'm sorry. I got carried away on a thread about getting Sine saved. Carry on.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Sheesh, tomb, are you trying to kill this thread?

(Don't answer).

More important, it sounds like the organs of Europe have convinced you that church music should be a capella. Are you still jet-lagged or I am up too late at night?

Grits
# 4169

You can't fool me -- no one with a smile like that can be very nasty.

I do envy your trip. Visiting Europe is on my "List of Things To Do Before I Die". Uh... you did see more than organs, didn't you?

BTW, you really need to come to Nashville and see Sine's big organ, tomb. It is absolutely huge -- the biggest I have ever seen!

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Don't be fooled. The Tomb's are nice.

Papio

P.S - Is Sine's organ really the bigest you have ever seen? [Snigger] [Snigger] [Snigger] [Snigger]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

Oh, yes. I've never even seen a picture of a bigger one!

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought you were a good girl, Grits [Disappointed] [Disappointed]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Grits
# 4169

I am good. But sometimes I am a tease. Sorry. [Waterworks]

Besides, I was just trying to get a rise out of Sine.

Oh, dear -- I've done it again.

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Bad Grits.

Although, I somehow doubt that you could get a rise out of him. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I'm not sure which is worse.

That the idiot dog nosed the door in the sideboard open, ate half a bag of M&Ms, and now has violent diarrhea at two in the morning.

Or that while I wait for her to finish her latest trip to the yard I'm reading this diarrhea.

The fact that you people would use one boy's spiritual journey as an excuse to make off-color remarks is sickening.

I thought this was supposed to be a...

Oh, screw it. I'm going back to bed.

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww, Sign come back. We shall try to help you understand and really feel what it is like to have Jesus as your bestest friend.

Here is a little prayer for you to get started:
"May you have much joy and delight in your new friendship with your very Best Friend, Jesus!"

and a little poem (well just the two verses the rest can be found at Jesus, my best friend:
Whenever I'm in trouble
Or when I am afraid
He helps me work my problems out
And the hurt just seems to fade.

Whenever I am feeling low,
He helps me not to feel so bad,
He makes my life worth living,
Jesus really makes me glad!

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, why, why am I hearing that sung to the tune of 'Whenever I feel afraid, I hold my head erect?'. Honestly, I swear 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue' is reponsible for all my neuroses.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That the idiot dog nosed the door in the sideboard open, ate half a bag of M&Ms

What kind of moron keeps his M&Ms in the sideboard?! Everyone else knows they belong in your bedside table drawer for easy night-time access. (For those with a smidge more self-control, M&Ms in the freezer are a Good Thing.)

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

Chocolate has to go in the fridge, surely? Otherwise it goes all soft and horrid. (Admittedly if you have peanut M&Ms, it's prob'ly less of a problem.)

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...except on St. Cecelia's day ...
Far be it from me to even attempt to assail the veritable doors of the knowledge of tomb™, but all spellings I've ever seen of the saint mentioned put her down as St Cecilia...
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Thank-you so very much, babybear.

I read the entire poem, clicked on a couple of links. Said the Sinner's Prayer and am now SAVED.

How wonderful that you can be saved online. It had a marvelous quality of impersonality I really appreciate. Much better than having to listen to my classmates go on and on. Just me, my pc, and God.

I hope this feeling of spiritual exaltation lasts long enough to get me out of the house without kicking the dog for ruining my night's sleep.

BTW, KenWritez, people who weigh 145 pounds keep M&Ms in the sideboard, for use in refilling the cut glass biscuit jar full of M&Ms that sits atop the sideboard.

Damn, there's that viscious, unsaved Sine sneaking back again. This really is a lifelong process, isn't it? I had so hoped I was saved for good.

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thank-you so very much, babybear.

Honey you are very welcome. Glad to share my bestest friend with you!

quote:
Damn, there's that viscious, unsaved Sine sneaking back again. This really is a lifelong process, isn't it? I had so hoped I was saved for good.
I suggest that you repeat the sinner's prayer every hour on the hour for the next week. I am sure that you will notice a huge, huggable difference. Your rector will be really impressed and will forgive you for bunking off class.

bb - your sister in the Bestest Friend

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:

Are you happy now?

No pain. No gain.

How does one prepare for insipid theology-lite/group hug-heavy drivel, anyway? If you want to listen to people whine about their lives, become a bartender. At least the tips would be better.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
quote:
...except on St. Cecelia's day ...
Far be it from me to even attempt to assail the veritable doors of the knowledge of tomb™, but all spellings I've ever seen of the saint mentioned put her down as St Cecilia...
After his return to the US, tomb is probably undergoing reintroduction to the True English Language™. It takes a while to readjust to correct spellings after seeing such misspellings such as centre, neighbour, colour, and emphasise.

I had to undergo restorative language therapy after spending two weeks in Canada last summer. I still have trouble understanding speed limit signs, which use the ungodly metric system in the Great White North. Why can't Canadians get it right and say 65 mi/hour rather than 100 km/hour?

Returning from England has to be worse! [Eek!]

My job here is done. I think I'll go to work.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016