homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Dear Sine... (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Dear Sine...
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archimandrite:
And how many men still wear proper shoes at Balls? [/QB]

Depends what you mean by "proper."

If it's evening tails with a long trouser, then my shoes are black patent lace-ups of a low cut - but not as low as a court shoe obviously.

If, OTOH, it's tails, britches and stockings, then it's a black patent court shoe, preferably with a silver buckle.

In either case, naturally, it has a suede soul. One can't seriously hope properly to take the corners in the quickstep without suede souls.

Corpus.

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Sine, how do I bring up this sensitve subject again, so soon? The last time he spent the entire day, shuffling around the halls muttering, "Nobody likes to be called high-smellin' and low down."

Obviously you haven't done a very good job tending your man's laundry. I suggest you add 20 Mule Team Borax to the wash water and use the "second rinse" feature. Also, dry his clothes outside on a clothes line. You can do this inbetween boiling the hominy and shoeing the mare.

That however doesn't solve your current problem. I suggest buying a bug bomb, setting it off in the closet and then quickly slamming the door shut and locking it. The bug bomb smell should cover up the dirty sock smell.

You could get a little added bang for your buck if you wait until your husband has stepped into the closet before doing this.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Methinks thou describeth this scenario sore vividly for mere fancy.....

We can only help others out of our own experience. Now, whether I was the "sayer" or the "sayee" is none of your business.
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You people have closets big enough to store a husband in? You Americans are just so spoiled!

Twilight, I would just set fire to the whole lot by accident if I were you. But then I don't have Sine's finesse.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
I sometimes wear a bow tie to the office on Fridays. My defense of this is that it's "casual Friday", and any bow tie that is neither black nor white is casual.

Is this a valid syllogism?

I don't think it's that black or white. It depends.
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine

I’ve consulted my parole officer, who expressed surprise at American attitudes to tail-coat trousers, and wondered where you stand on cummerbunds with double-breasted jackets.

Do Episcopalians adopt the “don’t ask, don’t tell” approach?

With kind regards

Chapelhead

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

How would you convince a houseguest that it is OK to use the empty bureau and clothes closet in the guestroom instead of their suitcase?

...or could this be a strategy for quick escape?

Many thanks.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
This Mormon guy in the cube next to me at work, keeps complaining about me being too loud...

My work would be more productive if he did not seem to loathe me, since I want everybody to love me...but if he can't love me...I want to needle him to death.

I am curious as to how that would be different from the way you treat people you do love, but you didn't really ask that question.

The Christian thing to do, of course, would be to overlook his loudness and cut down on your own shrieking and moaning. But the way of the cross is hard. Many who cry "Lord, Lord" etc. etc.

So, getting back into the real world I suggest you email him a link showing the sacred Mormon underwear with an attatched note that reads "Is this what you're wearing right now? It makes me hot."

I suspect you won't hear a peep out of him for quite some time after that.

EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Uncle Sine,

I'm planning a small dinner for my closest friends from church. My table seats six maximum. The group I am intending to invite used to be just five people, plus me. However, one chap has most inconveniently acquired a girlfriend recently and she has become part of our 'set'. Whilst she's absolutely charming I simply don't have room for her at the table.

So do I invite him without her? This would no doubt cause some offense as she's supposed to be 'one of us' now. Or, do I dump my friend from the guest list for being so inconsiderate? After all, his actions have not only messed up my table plan but have also left me (the only single) as the sole target for all sorts of meddling from smug marrieds.

Of course, the alternative would be to acquire a boyfriend and host a dinner a deux instead. However, as there isn't a squadron of pigs flying over this part of London today, shall I include my awkward friend on the guest list or not?

C

Posts: 544 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
How would you convince a houseguest that it is OK to use the empty bureau and clothes closet in the guestroom instead of their suitcase?

In any well-run household the upstairs maid or the footman would have unpacked your guest's clothes upon his/her arrival so this question would not have arisen.

Having no familiarity with ill-run households I'm not in a position to advise you. I'll have to turn this one over to the rest of the shipmates. Perhaps Twilight can help you.

(My best guess, however, would be along the lines of "Why don't you put your clothes in the closet? That's why I cleaned it out." but perhaps you had something more byzantine in mind.)

(And really, I wouldn't complain if I were you. Based on some other posts on this thread you're damn lucky your guest isn't peeing in your sink.)

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
where you stand on cummerbunds with double-breasted jackets.

The same place I stand on a notched lapel on a dinner jacket.
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're so wild. [Biased]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosus:
I'm planning a small dinner for my closest friends from church. My table seats six maximum...

So do I invite him without her?

You don't want to look et up with envy and jealousy, do you? Of course not, regardless of how you really feel.

Not inviting the couple, or even worse, not inviting just the girlfriend would expose you to all sorts of uncharitable comment. And a single girl can't be too careful of her reputation, now can she?

What you must do is not invite one of your other friends, or if worse comes to worse one of the other couples. You must explain to them exactly why you are doing it and make arrangements to have dinner with them within a couple of days of your dinner.

If someone asks about the missing friends at your dinner explain "the group has grown but my table hasn't so I can't have everybody all at once anymore." This will give you an out for when you don't invite the bitch next time.

...of course I assume there's a very good reason you can't serve buffet style and just let everyone find a perch.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
it has a suede soul.

I didn't realise incorporeal entities came in different finishes. I see mine as more leather-bound - but no decorative finish. I am free of gilt.

(Unless you mean crepe soles, of course...)

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
perhaps you had something more byzantine in mind
Don't tempt me, Sine....

Leetle M.

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, you are a saint. You've understand all the nuances of my dilemma - a single girl has to be so careful with her reputation [Big Grin]

I hadn't even thought of not inviting one of the other couples to the main dinner but it's the perfect solution. I can host two dinners - two excuses to get out the china and crystal [Yipee] What more could a girl possibly want? (Apart from antique linen napkins, but I should be able to fix that this weekend........)

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
.... whether I was the "sayer" or the "sayee" is none of your business.

Surely not. One cannot possibly imagine, dear sir, that your insight let you down so far as to lead you into the position of the sayee. Far be it.

On the other hand, there may have been compensations I suppose.......

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, I apologize for asking this twice, you answered me last year but I've misplaced the information.

I want to use a nicer stationery than printer paper or what's from the Mega Office Supply Store or the Paper'n'Things Emporium. Something that indicates I'm old enough not to need to write on cartoon character paper. You had mentioned something about a certain size and weight of paper engraved with my return address, and what color(s) would be best. (I prefer a slightly eggshell or cream color as such is easier on my eyes than a brilliantly-reflecting pure white.)

Where should the return address be printed? (Top, bottom, left, right?) Should the state be spelled out or are abbreviations okay? Include my name or not? Any recommendations for a typeface? Graphics? Watermarks? Lined or unlined? Bordered or not?

Do you have any recommendations for a pen? Is blue ink okay? I can't afford a $120+ Mont Blanc, but I'd like a nice, well-weighted fountain pen with a comfortable barrel and smooth ink flow.

Thanks for the help.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not Sine, but a devotee of Miss Manners: I cannot necessarily advise as to the weight (except to say, the heavier the better) but in these quarters, the return address goes on the top right of the note paper (and not on a sticky label on the envelope [Roll Eyes] ), and Parker is a very good but affordable make of pen.

Spelling out the state will be helpful to your non-US acquaintances (who would otherwise in fact be just plain confused) but will get you laughed at by your US acquaintances. I speak from experience of having tried it both ways in change-of address notifications.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I wouldn't fool around with any paper except Crane's myself. And I'd call it "writing paper" not "stationary" if I were you. (Actually I'd call it that if I were me. Crane & Co. calls it "stationary" but what do they know.)

Depends how much you want to invest, but once you've got your plate engraved the paper itself isn't that much, comparatively speaking.

Now this is just me, but I prefer a san-serif typeface in caps/small caps with my full name and address (state spelled out) on both the paper and the envelope. Centered on the back flap of the envelope. On the paper it's obviously centered at the top. You can have them wax off the address and just have your name on the paper.

Just for fun (or as much fun as I allow myself with writing paper) my full sheets are cream with with burgundy engraving. My small sheets (6-3/8 x 8-1/2) are pearl white with dark grey engraving.

What you don't want to do is express your individuality or creativity with your paper. Let what you write on the paper do that.

...and people do so love to get "real" letters.

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why use full and small sheets? Why not use one size?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Oops.

Pens: Cross or Parker. (But ya know, some of those new gel pens in the grocery store write just fine, IMO.)

Ink: Blue-Black or Dark Blue.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Why use full and small sheets? Why not use one size?

You could. In which case get the full size sheets. I use them for letters. I use the smaller sheets for sympathy and thank-you type correspondence where I don't really have a lot to say but don't want to leave a lot of empty paper.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pens: Cross or Parker. (But ya know, some of those new gel pens in the grocery store write just fine, IMO.)

Yup. The scented ones are really good. But I've noticed that the orange one doesn't come out too well on envelopes. You can't really see the colour too well, and the scent wears off after a couple of minutes. The mint one is a lot better altogether.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Just out of curiousity, Ariel, to whom do you write in scented orange ink? It sounds quite exotic. If you prefer not to say I understand completely.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sent someone a birthday card with a scented orange greeting on it last year. I haven't heard from her since.
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Sign:
So, getting back into the real world I suggest you email him a link showing the sacred Mormon underwear with an attatched note that reads "Is this what you're wearing right now? It makes me hot."

I suspect you won't hear a peep out of him for quite some time after that.

Ah, no. I am though aiming to kill him...right now...he just said "Sick of work, huh?" When I told people a co-worker went home sick. I answered "Oh, my sarcasm meter is not working right now...I need more caffine". He is not my neighbor, Sine. I would leave him on that road without assistance if I was the samaritan. Evil dutchie Samaritan.

[brick wall]

[eta: I won't be posting in here anymore, the material will not be fit for heaven in a minute when I lose it.]
[eta again: GRITS suggested me to cook up some cookies. I may try doing that but give them to everyone in case he thinks I fancy his underwear. NOT.]

[ 31. May 2005, 18:46: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

For the true lady or gentleman, the only place for writing paper is Smythson of Bond Street. Simply divine. I justify my occasional purchases of correspondence cards on the grounds that a box of 10 impressively thick cards with tissue lined envelopes is only £29, or £2.90 per card & envelope. One could easily spend more than that on a very ordinary card from WH Smith's. Besides, the staff wrap up my purchases in darling little blue bags with ribbon and cord. The packaging is oh-so-important when shopping [Devil]
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
He is not my neighbor, Sine. I would leave him on that road without assistance if I was the samaritan.

Oh duchess, such callousness breaks my heart. I shall pray for you.

BTW, when you're Left Behind, will you check on my cats?

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wouldn't fool around with any paper except Crane's myself. And I'd call it "writing paper" not "stationary" if I were you. (Actually I'd call it that if I were me. Crane & Co. calls it "stationary" but what do they know.)

Dear Sine
what's the best way of telling someone of apparently impeccable taste and decency, that they have made an all too common spelling mistake worthy of an 8-year old, in that the word used to describe writing supplies and such is
Stationery ??

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
it has a suede soul.

I didn't realise incorporeal entities came in different finishes. I see mine as more leather-bound - but no decorative finish. I am free of gilt.

(Unless you mean crepe soles, of course...)

Oh, how horribly blush-making. I meant, of course, soles. [Hot and Hormonal]

And NO ! I do NOT mean "crepe" soles, ever, under any circumstances, whatsoever.*Shudders with horror at the mere prospect.*

Corpus

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
Dear Sine
what's the best way of telling someone of apparently impeccable taste and decency, that they have made an all too common spelling mistake worthy of an 8-year old

Actually, you're too late.

But to answer your question, the tasteful, kind way is by private message.

Sort of like taking someone quietly aside to tell them they've got spinach in their teeth or their fly is open. But, for what it's worth, you don't tell them if there's nothing they can do about it. "You've got a run in you hose" or "Your last facelift sucks" for instance.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

...and that's why I call it "writing paper". Easier to spell.
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

Having disposed of my son's Calvin Kleins, I find other problems pressing ever urgently on whatever problems are supposed to press. Namely:

- With the final arrival of Summer, follows that peculiarly British ecclesiastical (?) fashion phenomenon of pale, hairy male legs emerging from baggy shorts. As a result, I'm experiencing difficulty in keeping custody of my eyes during divine service. What would you advise me do?

- I'm shortly due to attend a conference at a certain well known London church. Knowing that you are an expert on such things, what advice would you offer on how to comport myself as befits a sensible, middle-aged Anglican matron during the proceedings. I experience particular problems with hairy legs emerging from baggy shorts, and enthusiastic speakers posing in front of flower arrangements. (Arietty, if you're reading this thread...not a word!! Or else! [Biased] )

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Having no familiarity with ill-run households I'm not in a position to advise you. I'll have to turn this one over to the rest of the shipmates. Perhaps Twilight can help you

No doubt Uncle See-nay imagines I'll suggest something along the lines of "pound some more nails in the wall to hook them duds on" but I have far too much sympathy for poor Gort to make jokes. My guests do much the same thing. They don't use the spaces I've provided for their belongings but seem to prefer strewing their clothes and toiletries around the bedroom and bath. Similarly, they return from sight- seeing trips with souvenirs and brochures, they like to spread around the living room for all of us to admire and remark upon.

All this may serve to make them feel more at home, rather like an animal spreading his scent. In fact we may have hit on an explanation for my husband's detergent resistant emissions! What do you say Gort? Let us both bug-bomb our entire house and see who's left when the smoke dies down.

hedonism_bot
Shipmate
# 5027

- Posted      Profile for hedonism_bot   Email hedonism_bot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

A friend of mine (not one that I have mentioned before) has recently returned from a stint working in Australian academia. Despite the rarified nature of his scholarly pursuits he has returned under the impression that he is a native Australian, to the extent that he walks around wearing a sleeveless T-shirt, inflects the end of every sentence up as though asking a question and uses hair-raisingly colourful euphemisms for the sexual act, of which "spear the bearded" and "taking the pink motorcycle for a spin" are two of the cleaner.

While such conduct may be perfectly normal in Wogga Wogga or Swagman's Gulch, how can we persuade him that it is less than appropriate in this foggy island's ivory towers?

Posts: 778 | From: Running from the grand ennui | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
what advice would you offer on how to comport myself as befits a sensible, middle-aged Anglican matron during the proceedings.

Sometimes we have to do creative play. I suggest you pretend you are Her Majesty watching a particularly ludicrous tribal dance. Pretend that they're paying you big bucks to watch this dance. Lean slightly forward with a serious, yet pleasant expression on your face, eyes focused slightly over the heads of those you are watching. Keep remembering how much better you are than they are. Keep remembering your job depends on this.

If this doesn't work, ask your lady-in-waiting to get the barf bag out of your purse.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by hedonism_bot:
While such conduct may be perfectly normal in Wogga Wogga or Swagman's Gulch, how can we persuade him that it is less than appropriate in this foggy island's ivory towers?

I assume you've tried ridicule and laughter, merciless mocking, etc. and that hasn't worked. He may have been permanently changed by the warmth, sunshine, and beautiful near-naked women on the beaches. He may never go back into his reserved, effete, proper English academic shell.

In that case I suggest you type this out, put it in your wallet and refer to it as necessary:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The courage to change the things I can. And the wisdom to know the difference.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

No doubt Uncle See-nay imagines I'll suggest something along the lines of "pound some more nails in the wall to hook them duds on" but I have far too much sympathy for poor Gort to make jokes. My guests do much the same thing. They don't use the spaces I've provided for their belongings but seem to prefer strewing their clothes and toiletries around the bedroom and bath. Similarly, they return from sight- seeing trips with souvenirs and brochures, they like to spread around the living room for all of us to admire and remark upon.

Not that I am certain of the particulars in this situation, but you will note that Gort does not use the words "strewn" or ""spread" in his remarks; indeed, my guest is that as the impeccable host he is (so I hear) he is merely painstakingly concerned about the comfort of his guest.

Again venturing a wild, imaginative guess, mightn't a guest's practice of neatly returning clothing to a closable suitcase in the dressing area have something to do with the respective proximity of the suitcase and bureau to the area that is most used for dressing/ undressing? Theoretically?

So to do away with some more speculative minutae,Sine, would an acceptable compromise be to hang/ stash some of the lesser-used items (dresses, evening wear) in the space graciously provided, while keeping more immediate clothing items (casual daywear, unmentionables) on an unused shelf in the guest bathroom, which ahs been theoreticall reserved for the exclusive use of said guest?

Many thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Kel

( [Biased] )

[Code]

[ 01. June 2005, 01:11: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Holy Moly! Land mines ahead.

I ain't touching that one with a ten-foot pole.

Next question, please.

Evensnog
Shipmate
# 8017

- Posted      Profile for Evensnog   Email Evensnog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

Over a year ago, an acquiantance of mine (from my church fellowship group) got married. She and her husband have still not sent thank-you notes for any gifts they received at the bridal shower, engagement party, or the wedding.

In fact, I did inquire whether or not they had received my gift, and was laughingly told, "Oh, no one sends thank you notes anymore. Why, the ettiquette books even tell you that they're outdated and not required." [Mad]

This couple is expecting their first child this August, and as I have the reputation among our circle of friends for being the hostess, they have been hinting rather heavily that I should arrange a baby shower.

Any suggestions on how to handle this situation? I have zero interest in inventing the time, money, or energy to arrange another party for them, given the past history. The rest of our circle of friends feel the same way.

This is getting urgent, they even sent me an email this morning asking when their baby shower is.

Gratefully,

Gloria x3

P.S. - Bless those of you who provide empty dressers, closets and wardrobes for your houseguests. Last time I went visiting, I tried to unpack and discovered the dresser in the guest room was stuffed full of unidentifiable crap and there was no room in the closet, either.

Posts: 507 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
corvette
Shipmate
# 9436

- Posted      Profile for corvette     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i suppose you could try, "Oh, No-one has baby-showers any more" and don't wait for an answer...

Depends how mean you want to be, and how thick they are. You could just be doing something fun (and not compatible with babies) yourself that weekend and not be available. I don't see it has to be your responsibility, especially if your help has been abused in the past.

Posts: 494 | From: ecclesia sans frontiers | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
hedonism_bot
Shipmate
# 5027

- Posted      Profile for hedonism_bot   Email hedonism_bot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

An ecclesiastical chum of mine has a recurring nightmare in which Mr Elton John, the popular pianist, attends a funeral at his church. This neurosis began at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, during which Mr John was allowed to attend (and indeed participate in) an Anglican funeral service in an Abbey Church while wearing a hairpiece so unrealistic that it was to all intents and purposes a hat. My friend fears that Mr John may attempt to enter his church sporting the same garment, and is in sore need of a polite form of words with which he could insist on it's removal. Can you advise?

Posts: 778 | From: Running from the grand ennui | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by GloriaGloriaGloria:
Any suggestions on how to handle this situation? I have zero interest in inventing the time, money, or energy to arrange another party for them, given the past history. The rest of our circle of friends feel the same way.

This is getting urgent, they even sent me an email this morning asking when their baby shower is.

Oh God. I know exactly what you mean and I hate it. I've stopped giving my godson and his parents presents because I've never gotten a note from them. Not even a phone call after the fact. But I admit I've never really told them why.

But do NOT be guilted into giving a party you don't want to give. How incredibly rude and self-centered of them to even ask. I would be sorely tempted to email back "I don't know. I haven't received an invitation yet. Who's giving it?"

What I'd be more likely to do is play dumb. Email back, very honestly "Are you asking me if I'm throwing a baby shower for you?" If they answer "yes", respond "I'm sorry, I'm just not able to right now, but I'll help with the food if someone else gives it." (Half a loaf being better than none in this case.)

If they still have the nerve to ask why you're not able, repeat "I'm just not able to." as many times as necessary until they stop asking. You're not obligated to give a reason.

Now of course someone really needs to tell them what the problem is, but gosh, that's hard unless you've got a rock-solid relationship with them. If it's a fairly casual church friendship, no reason you have to be the one to bell the cat.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by hedonism_bot:
My friend fears that Mr John may attempt to enter his church sporting the same garment, and is in sore need of a polite form of words with which he could insist on it's removal. Can you advise?

That's easy. Your friend needs to work 103 into his dream. Young Henry will be more than happy to go up to Sir Elton and hiss "REMOVE IT NOW!" That way your friend won't be implicated, even in his dreams.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Dear Sine,

With a wedding ring.

(Don't toy with Uncle Sine. You will pay.)

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally by duchess:
[eta again: GRITS suggested me to cook up some cookies. I may try doing that but give them to everyone in case he thinks I fancy his underwear. NOT.]

I think Miffy is handling the underwear questions on this thread.

I offered up the "make nice" advice, based on what I would do. However, duchess informed me that, in LaLaLand, making nice would only be interpreted as "hot for your bod".

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

quote:
That's easy. Your friend needs to work 103 into his dream.

[Eek!]

[Code]

[ 01. June 2005, 01:15: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Now, now. None of that here. This is a family thread.
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...underwear...wedding ring...family thread...dreams of 103.

I thought this was Hints from Heloise.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016