homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 80)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Flirting with Palin earns Pakistani president a fatwa. Fortunately, a non-violent fatwa.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I wonder if she doesn't have some form of mild aphasia.

Bush II certainly does and it didn't stop him becoming President

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Borowitz

quote:
The Arizona senator plans to crouch inside the podium out of view of the audience, whispering key bits of information to Gov. Palin, such as the names of any Supreme Court decision other than Roe v. Wade, and the names of well-known newspapers and magazines she could pretend to read.

On the Democratic side, Sen. Joseph Biden said he hoped to emulate Abraham Lincoln's performance in the Lincoln-Douglas debates: "That was truly one of the greatest moments in television history."

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where - where do they go?

Well, where do they?

I think we should be told.

quote:

I know that John McCain will do that and I, as his vice president, families we are blessed with that vote of the American people and are elected to serve and are sworn in on January 20, that will be our top priority is to defend the American people.

I'm sure it would be, Mrs Palin.

[ 02. October 2008, 12:03: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
I wonder if she doesn't have some form of mild aphasia.

Bush II certainly does and it didn't stop him becoming President
Winner of the thread non sequitur award!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
It wasn't that she couldn't come up with magazine names - the problem was no one outside of Alaska has heard of Tundra Times, Moose Butcher's Digest or the Aerial Wolf-Hunter's Guide.

Sure, but we've heard of Field & Stream and Soldier of Fortune.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jonathan Martin on Politico is reporting that the McCain campaign is giving up on Michigan. The map is getting smaller, and McCain's routes to victory are drying up. [Yipee]
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As long as Biden doesn't get superior or condescending ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
What happened to Senator John McCarthy in the end ?

After being censured by his fellow Senators he became a pariah, ignored by colleagues and press alike. He eventually drank himself in to an early grave after having gambled away at the track most of the money sent to him by private contributors to "fight communism".

A true role-model for modern conservatives.

Oh, and let's not forget that paragon of rectumtude, his right-hand AIDe Roy Cohn. Even the National Review called him "an ice-cold sleaze."

[ 02. October 2008, 19:17: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Your mouth to God's ear, RuthW.

[or would that be keyboard?]

[ 02. October 2008, 19:18: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

I wonder whether that would really matter. ISTM that the only thing that could really make a difference in the vector of the campaigns in this debate is Gov. Palin's performance. If she knocks it out of the park, she may well stall the current slide of McCain. She is becoming an icon of McCain's recklessness and bad judgment. If she shines, it would make that narrative seem silly.

Conversely, if she looks like a deer in the headlights every time she's asked some routine question, it will reinforce that narrative, and possibly accelerate the Republican decline. It seems that people are starting to expect her to be a dolt, so she may have her work cut out for her in overcoming their expectations. But, either way, Gov. Palin seems to be the one who could move the needle one way or the other in this debate.

Sen. Biden is pretty much of a known quantity, and whatever he does will be seen as either a good day or a bad day for him, not as the full revelation of who he is and whether Obama showed good judgment in picking him.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Jonathan Martin on Politico is reporting that the McCain campaign is giving up on Michigan. The map is getting smaller, and McCain's routes to victory are drying up. [Yipee]

Great to hear-- even though, as a proud child of Wisconsin, I'm ashamed and insulted to read that he thinks he has more of a chance there. Please, God, say it ain't true.

--------------------

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My bet is her populism sells well. It takes so little to impress the average American voter.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

More like acts with grace and humor in the face of being superior or making a condescending statement. After all, what was Reagan's joke about not making an issue of his opponent's inexperience but a condescending statement?

Some people have a knack for being able to do it. Some don't.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It wasn't that she couldn't come up with magazine names - the problem was no one outside of Alaska has heard of Tundra Times, Moose Butcher's Digest or the Aerial Wolf-Hunter's Guide.

Tundra Times is technically a newspaper. [Razz]

I would guess that Sarah doesn't read newsmagazines because she hates all media and blames us for everything. (all but the ones she managed to lure to the dark side. which are about 4 of my friends. [Frown] )

as a side note - the talk up of her being "middle america" and relating to the blue collar crowd is really funny, as her crowd is Alaska's elite. Blue collar my ass.

what would be the Alaska-barian version of a silver spoon? a
silver spoon?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
My bet is her populism sells well. It takes so little to impress the average American voter.

You could fit all of Wasilla in the house that McCain is selling.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

Officials and pseudo-officials in some quarters are working overtime to see to it that the poor, and especially poor of color, don't vote. Anyone pushed out of their home by repossession had better update their address of record at the court house immediately. In Ohio, a notice of the election is mailed to every voter, and those whose letters are returned unopened are stricken from the rolls (maybe this isn't such a bad idea in itself). Many election officials would like to maintain that a college dormitory address is no more acceptable than a post office box. Fortunately, courts have disagreed about this. In Philadelphia, word has been put out in certain neighborhoods that the police will hang out at polling places, ready to pounce on any voter for whom they have been looking. According to city spokespeople, this is false, and they have been trying to issue reassurances. Doncha wonder who did put the word out, then?

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

So, should we expect her to start blowing "dog whistles," messages designed to resonate with her tiny base and basically ignore the rest of us?

That'd be funny to watch.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

You could fit all of Wasilla in the house that McCain is selling.
Problem is, he won't remember which house.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reading the text updates on the BBC News Election website, where they also show a live broadcast. I've, however, turned off the sound. Can't stand her constant Palindrone. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OMG. Palin's on a roll! Impassioned, erudite, concise - she's even toned down the nasal whine. I think I'm being won over! [Paranoid]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My word, she is the master of the non sequitur.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe - but there's nothing illogical about the conclusion she's mainstreet. (I think)

--------------------

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
Officials and pseudo-officials in some quarters are working overtime to see to it that the poor, and especially poor of color, don't vote. Anyone pushed out of their home by repossession had better update their address of record at the court house immediately. In Ohio, a notice of the election is mailed to every voter, and those whose letters are returned unopened are stricken from the rolls (maybe this isn't such a bad idea in itself). Many election officials would like to maintain that a college dormitory address is no more acceptable than a post office box. Fortunately, courts have disagreed about this. In Philadelphia, word has been put out in certain neighborhoods that the police will hang out at polling places, ready to pounce on any voter for whom they have been looking. According to city spokespeople, this is false, and they have been trying to issue reassurances. Doncha wonder who did put the word out, then?

Fortunately, the Secretary of State in Ohio at the moment is a Democrat. They'll have absentee voting for anyone who wants it, and will have polls open in many office for up to a week prior to election day.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Maybe - but there's nothing illogical about the conclusion she's mainstreet. (I think)

She's certainly played the 'Soccer Mom' card for all it's worth.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're having great fun playingPalin Bingo while watching the debate - almost makes it worth watching. I just need "gee" and "executive" for the win.

[ 03. October 2008, 02:04: Message edited by: Izzybee ]

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm watching on myspace [Hot and Hormonal] and comparing notes with an old friend. It's entertaining.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Take a drink she said "maverik" again! She didn't answer the question about what her Achillies Heel was.
Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Wow: Gov. Palin plays the compassion card and Sen. Biden nearly breaks down when remembering his own loss. Will this affect Mr. and Ms. Swing Voter?

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
If you took a drink every time she said maverick or bringing the government back to the people you'd be dead by now.

She had a perfect chance to show some genuine emotion when Biden nearly broke down and she blew it. I wonder if that will bite McCain in the ass.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
If you took a drink every time she said maverick or bringing the government back to the people you'd be dead by now.

She had a perfect chance to show some genuine emotion when Biden nearly broke down and she blew it. I wonder if that will bite McCain in the ass.

[Killing me] The "soccer mom" folksy bit is getting old I almost expect her to start sharing recipes for ground beef, canned cream of mushroom soup and crushed potato chips.

--------------------
All you have is right now.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Katie Couric: "Can you name one brand of cream of mushroom soup you ate as a kid?"

Palin: "Well you know, we ate all of them. They were all good, they were made in America and they were good homely fare."

Couric: "Yes but can you name one brand?"

Palin: "Well you know we ate them all, whatever was on sale because we couldn't afford to be choosy."

Couric: "I hate to keep coming back to this but can you name any one brand?"

Palin: "You folks act like we up here in Alaska don't have any of the same national brands you do down there in the lower 48. We have all the same soup brands you do down there, you know."

--------------------

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can I ask whether all Alaskans sound like Marge in Fargo, or is it just Palin?

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Hmmm. No. Comet's voice sounds like liquid silk.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:
She had a perfect chance to show some genuine emotion when Biden nearly broke down and she blew it.

Yeah, but that wasn't in her talking points.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
the "Joe Sixpack" reference made us all laugh out loud here at the bar tonight.

Um, Sarah? it's a debate, honey. not darts night. remember - when you're wearing girl clothes, don't talk like the boozers keeping the stools warm. it makes you look funny.

Sarah's accent is rather pronounced, and mine has been softened due to the radio biz, but yes, she speaks caucausian alaskan. *sigh* NPR had a linguist on tonight to point out exactly how funny we all talk.

[Hot and Hormonal]

my daughter still claims that when I'm angry and back in my "village english" of my childhood she can't even understand me.
quote:
Hmmm. No. Comet's voice sounds like liquid silk.

okay, you're forgiven all your assholishness.

just say that again a few times.

please.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

I'm forgiven all my assholishness...

I'm forgiven all my assholishness...

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did you notice that Palin endorsed Cheney's style and theory of VPness???

[Paranoid] [brick wall] [Help]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jesus christ, if she and maverick take the whitehouse in a month I will kill myself. It's not worth being alive in a world where every news bulletin is taken up with more soundclips of "Hockey mom!" and "The Late Maverick," whilst we're told more about her drive to unite the american people by invading Canada from Alaska.

Zorro.

--------------------
It is so hard to believe, because it is so hard to obey. Soren Kierkegaard
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
Can I ask whether all Alaskans sound like Marge in Fargo, or is it just Palin?

There is a theory doing the rounds of the linguistic blogs that Wasilla and the adjacent settlements were founded by Minnesotans so there is a midwestern/Canadian border tinge to the local accent

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
...reporting that the McCain campaign is giving up on Michigan.

Giving up on Michigan?

OK, maybe they reckon the place is similar enough to Illinois for Obama's (& maybe even Clinton's) Chicago connections to make a difference. But giving up on Michigan?

Unless they know something we don't about yet another Bush October surprise (or vote-rigging scam) giving up on Michigan is damn near giving up the election.

That leaves Ohio and Florida as the big swing states. To be honest I never quite worked out why Ohio votes as Republican as it does, but it does. Maybe it won't this time round. Obama is ahead in the polls there. Though my inbuilt English political cynicism still says that when it actually comes to the polling booth a large proportion of white Americans won't bring themseves to actually vote for a black man so Obama's vote will be significantly lower than his opinion poll ratings.

--------------------
Ken

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
Jesus christ, if she and maverick take the whitehouse in a month I will kill myself. It's not worth being alive in a world where every news bulletin is taken up with more soundclips of "Hockey mom!" and "The Late Maverick," whilst we're told more about her drive to unite the american people by invading Canada from Alaska.

Zorro.

Zorro - put down that gun!!!! After all you're at least at a safe distance, but some of us may have to take refuge with you there!!
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some random observations:
The alarm bell rang right away, when she said to Biden, "Can I call you Joe?" Wink.

She looked very svelte and tiny, after having all those babies, I thought. And I wonder, was her main issue working on "special needs children", before she had one, herself?

She has adopted the Repub phrase "new-que-lar" weaponry.

"Hmm, lets see: Which answer-essay haven't I given yet?"

I wanted to hear discussion about religious/Biblical/moral/human rights/Pro-Life/Pro-Choice/ subjects, and how these views would affect the Veep's work - especially when SP would plan on being active in the day-to-day workings of the Congress, and probably helping out in the Supreme Court, too.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
I wanted to hear discussion about religious/Biblical/moral/human rights/Pro-Life/Pro-Choice/ subjects, and how these views would affect the Veep's work - especially when SP would plan on being active in the day-to-day workings of the Congress, and probably helping out in the Supreme Court, too.

Whereas the Republicans desperately didn't want her to talk about any of that for fear she'd scare off all the moderates.

--------------------
Brian Clough

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After the general point that Gov. Palin avoided a train wreck, I found the interesting things in the debate to come from Sen. Biden. I appreciated his point that he no longer believed that judicial philosophy was irrelevant to confirming a judge to the Supreme Court. The right wing has managed to worm a number of lies into the poitical discourse, including that (despite nominating ideologues to the bench and blocking a huge number of Democratic appointees before that on unspecified, but clearly ideological, grounds) it is somehow illegitimate to consider the judge's ideology.

Of course, judicial appointments are part of the political process. That's the way the system is designed. It is only after they are on the bench that they are supposedly exempt from political pressures. Sen. Biden appeared to be willing to re-enter that discussion from a much more appropriate place than Dems have traditionally been willing to stand. Good for him!

I also thought that Sen. Biden was much more forceful in laying out substantive perspectives for governance. One of the fallouts from the economic melt-down is that voters seem more desirous of having competent leadership than having a buddy in the oval office. This makes Gov. Palin's act wear thin more quickly than in other years. I don't think that the VP will determine the fate of the ticket, but the dynamics since Sen. McCain chose her just seem to cut against Gov. Palin being the big win that he had envisioned.

While the only "gaffe" was Gov. Palin's embracing of the "Cheney doctrine" of the Vice Presidency, the real power in the exchange came from Sen. Binden's response. It was the strongest repudiation of Cheney's tenure that I have heard from a public figure, and was a welcome embracing of the Constitution. I suspect that, for most folks this year, those things will mean a lot more than whether or not you're a "maverick" (and I personally found Sen. Biden's insistence that Sen. McCain really isn't one as much fluff as Gov. Palin's insistence that he and she are.)

--Tom Clune

[ 03. October 2008, 15:23: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
...reporting that the McCain campaign is giving up on Michigan.

Giving up on Michigan?

OK, maybe they reckon the place is similar enough to Illinois for Obama's (& maybe even Clinton's) Chicago connections to make a difference. But giving up on Michigan?

Unless they know something we don't about yet another Bush October surprise (or vote-rigging scam) giving up on Michigan is damn near giving up the election.

Yup, giving up on Michigan, and it makes sense. Michigan has been blue since some point in the 80s, Kerry took Michigan, the economy there sucks, and the recent polls put Obama over McCain by anywhere from 3 to 13 points. It's not worth McCain's money to campaign there anymore.

quote:
That leaves Ohio and Florida as the big swing states. To be honest I never quite worked out why Ohio votes as Republican as it does, but it does. Maybe it won't this time round. Obama is ahead in the polls there.
Someone who lives there might be able to shed some light on why Ohio votes Republican, but the thing is, Obama can win without Ohio and Florida. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be contesting those states, because McCain does have to win those states to win the election, but Obama's got a lot more ways to win than McCain.

quote:
Though my inbuilt English political cynicism still says that when it actually comes to the polling booth a large proportion of white Americans won't bring themseves to actually vote for a black man so Obama's vote will be significantly lower than his opinion poll ratings.
Well, we'll know the night of Nov. 4 (we hope -- please God let it not drag on past that). But a lot of white Americans have already voted for a black man to be president, and in the primaries Obama outperformed the pre-election polling everywhere in the country but the northeast. This was most marked in the south, where overall his votes were 7% over the polls.
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:

Will there be international election observers in place to ensure fair play?

It shouldn't be necessary but if there's nothing to hide, why would anyone object? Isn't that what conservatives (especially) say when bringing in authoritarian measures to make sure 'ordinary' people behave themselves?

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
This is America, boy, we don't need no stinkin' foreigners telling us what to do.

As a registered Independent in Florida, I have been bombarded with stuff from the Obama campaign. Every freaking day there is something in my mailbox. McCain hasn't done shit as far as I can tell. Maybe because I live in a red county, I don't know, but if the Obama literature didn't mention him, you'd never know who he was running against.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
This is America, boy, we don't need no stinkin' foreigners telling us what to do.

I heard this in the voice of the guy in "Cool Hand Luke" with the line about "a failure to commun-cate."

I'd love to see independent observers at our elections. But then I want all kinds of things that will never happen: a uniform voting system and elections on Sundays, for instance.

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

As a registered Independent in Florida, I have been bombarded with stuff from the Obama campaign. Every freaking day there is something in my mailbox. McCain hasn't done shit as far as I can tell. Maybe because I live in a red county, I don't know, but if the Obama literature didn't mention him, you'd never know who he was running against.

Ummmm ... I want to try to say this as carefully and gently as possible.
If I had junk mail, flyers, or political information to deliver, and I knew where Erin lived, I would not put anything - ever - in her mailbox.
I probably wouldn't deliver anything on her street.
Maybe not even in her city.
Alligators scare the shite out of me.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016