homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
Whereas my face and neck get blotchy red when I drink wine. Apparently it's a reaction that has something to do with enzymes... harmless except that I look like I'm schnockered when I'm not. And my family mocks me mercilessly.
In my family, this effect is subtly noted by pointing to the blotchy person and shouting, "Shazam!" -- the red V-shape down the neck and chest supposedly resembling the superhero costume.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
vascopyjama
Shipmate
# 1953

- Posted      Profile for vascopyjama   Email vascopyjama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Dormouse

I have sets of magnets with words and phrases. they have been colour coded for verbs nouns and all that stuff. the kids don't think they are learning anything... just playing with magnets.

--------------------
Behold the duck. The scent of a wet dog. The familiar ahh of your own bed. Things to ponder.

Posts: 298 | From: The Sea of Turbidity | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sheep:
Okay, this has been puzzling me for years...Why is it that I often get a horrible headache after I drink white wine but not after I drink red?

(My first post in Heaven, BTW!)

Welcome (as said elsewhere).

Kuruman (unfortunate enough to be married to your present e-interlocutor) reacts with migraines to either red or white. This has the unfortunate impact of meaning that he to whom I usually refer by use of the perpendicular pronoun is forced to consume a double share.

However one bears (bares [Confused] ) one's crosses with alacrity and a plumb.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
However one bears (bares [Confused] ) one's crosses with alacrity and a plumb.

Presumably a plumb line, whereby you can ascertain if you are still perpendicular. Which you do with aplomb.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Americans have the Constitutional right to bare arms.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or is it the right to arm bears? I keep forgetting.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so confused, I thought it was the right to bear arms . . .

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

[Killing me]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excuse me for a moment, while I wipe a bath-load of coffee spray from my screen.

There, that's better ...

... wanders of with alacrity, coffee-soaked plumb line in tow.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I have a question (which is, of course, why I'm here).

I regularly take a multivitamin which has 100% of one's daily allowance of just about everything. More of some, less of others. It doesn't, for example, have 100% of calcium, but I think I probably make up the rest in my natural diet.

However, I just noticed that it contains what seems to be a very small amount of magnesium - 50mg which is apparently only 13% of the daily allowance. And having checked to see which foods magnesium is found in naturally, I'm pretty sure I don't get anywhere near 100%.

So my question is, firstly, does anyone know why they would add so little of something which sounds so important? And secondly, would it be advisable to take an additional magnesium supplement to make up for it?

I know the Ship is not the place for medical advice; I'm really just looking for general information and wouldn't do anything silly without consulting a professional.

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always been curious about vitamin suppliments in general- whether they are necessary/work etc or if everyone should take them!

However - my question was...

Does anyone have a newspaper from 16/02/09 - ideally in the UK but one from elsewhere would be fun too. I don't expect anyone has but it would be fab to keep forever a paper from my little one's birthday. Is it possible to get them anywhere?

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to know: is it just me/my Mac?

Using Safari, when I'm on the Ship reading a discussion, if I click on the filecard/ID icon at the top of a post I get a second page with the info, and can simply click it off with the red dot and I'm back where I was.

Using Firefox, the second screen doesn't happen, and the only way back to where I was after I've read the info is via 'History', as there isn't even a usable back arrow.

And secondly, if I have to use Firefox, it won't 'Jump to new posts' – only way is by choosing the last page and scrolling down. Safari jumps very nicely.

Does anyone else have these problems?

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Does anyone have a newspaper from 16/02/09 - ideally in the UK but one from elsewhere would be fun too.

You could try the British Library. The national libraries, as libraries of record, get everything.

A friend got a photocopy of the front page of the Times for about 50 years ago (it featured a pic of her husband leading some people up Kilimanjaro). It is, though, just a scan, not the whole paper.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Galloping Granny, both of those work very nicely on Firefox with XP.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does anyone have a newspaper from 16/02/09 - ideally in the UK but one from elsewhere would be fun too. I don't expect anyone has but it would be fab to keep forever a paper from my little one's birthday. Is it possible to get them anywhere?

It is - Google "newspaper date of birth" without quotes - but you pay a hefty price for the privilege, and there's no rush, because unless 16/2/09 was a particularly notable date, they won't be in danger of running out.

At this distance, I'd imagine unsold copies will have been pulped, but you could check with any big libraries in the area, which will often keep newspapers for a reasonable amount of time and may be willing to let you have that particular copy when they have a clearout, rather than binning it. There are also people who keep their newspapers, but they're unlikely to want to part with a copy. My last suggestion would be to post "Wanted" notices on work noticeboards and similar, just in case someone somewhere still has a copy they haven't got rid of yet.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
So my question is, firstly, does anyone know why they would add so little of something which sounds so important? And secondly, would it be advisable to take an additional magnesium supplement to make up for it?

I know the Ship is not the place for medical advice; I'm really just looking for general information and wouldn't do anything silly without consulting a professional.

Hi - first a disclaimer - I am not a health professional of any kind.

In regards to the first question - I don't know. In regards to the second, if you are magnesium deficient, you will start having problems with cramp. I had some very bad (non-exercise related) cramp problems about 3 years ago and on the advice of a pharmacist, took a magnesium supplement, which cleared it up. So to sum up, if you are feeling otherwise okay, you are probably not magnesium deficient.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same disclaimer from me. That said, I found you a link to look at: http://healing.about.com/od/dietandfitness/a/magnesiumfacts_3.htm

There could be several reasons why they put so little in. First, some things are easily acquired from what you eat everyday. Giving you a large amount in a supplement would lead to overdose. (Your doctor or a nutritionist would probably be the one to consult about whether you're getting enough already.)

Second, the effects of overdose for some vitamins and minerals are ... bad. Magnesium seems to be one of the less bad compared to some, but still, diarrhea and eventual kidney problems is not something to sneeze at. Since multivitamins are intended for the general population, makers would tend to play it safe to avoid causing problems (and lawsuits).

Third, some minerals/vitamins interfere with others when your body tries to absorb them. Taking them at the same time results in either too much absorption (see overdose, above) or too little (see: waste of time). I gather magnesium interacts with several other things, including calcium and phosphorous. In a normal diet, this wouldn't matter, as you'd be getting small bits all day. But in a multivitamin, you get the whole shebang at once. So makers would have to consider interaction effects as well.

Thus endeth the disquisition. But talking to a doctor or dietician is usually a safe bet.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ach, forgot one. Certain things, like iron, get eliminated much more easily by part of the population (e.g. menstruating women) than by other parts (men, post-menopausal women). So a dose that is proper for a young woman could be a problem, even dangerous, for an older man (too much iron = risk of heart attack, I believe). Since everybody and their dog (maybe not) takes multivitamins, the makers will shoot for the lowest common denominator.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting... thanks!

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Galloping Granny, both of those work very nicely on Firefox with XP.

Thanks. I thought it might be a Mac thing.

I'm keen on www.jigzone.com – can't do it with Firefox but it's fine with Safari. Same thing, I guess.
GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Galloping Granny

I wonder if the add on All in One Sidebar might not be a work around for change options.

Also you might like to change your tab setting. I must admit I am a coward at this and don't really know how to do it but something like Tab Mix Plus might allow you to do this. There were some nice tab addons early on which unfortunately do not work with newer versions of Firefox. I set mine up using one of those so can not speak for Tab Mix Plus.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Emma, as far as I know the Sydney Morning Herald sells facsimile front pages of pretty well any date it's been published. Dig around in their site map for details. That would be an Aussie connection for her.

I dpn't have one of that date but I do have a paper copy of a Saturday edition still here so will have a look for details later. There's usually a small advertisement somewhere.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It is possible and they don't have to be outrageously priced either. Obviously you'll pay more than if you were buying it at the time, but it doesn't have to be double figures.

Here you go.

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Galloping Granny:
I'm keen on www.jigzone.com – can't do it with Firefox but it's fine with Safari. Same thing, I guess.
GG

Jengie made me think - there is a Firefox add-on called IE Tab which I use to check the appearance of webpages in the dreaded Internet Explorer. There was a time when I needed to use it for the occasional website that wouldn't function in Firefox (which doesn't seem to happen any more on XP). It's very easy to use - once it's installed you just right-click on the tab you want to change, and choose 'switch rendering engine'.
Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question that got raised in a conversation with Sandemaniac last night. Is there a UK football club with a longer name than Inverness Caledonian Thistle (28 characters, including spaces)?

OK, possibly the full name of LlanfairPG's club..., but we're really thinking league/whatever the Conference is called this year sort of level.

Also, is there a shorter one than Celtic?

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:
GG

Jengie made me think - there is a Firefox add-on called IE Tab which I use to check the appearance of webpages in the dreaded Internet Explorer. There was a time when I needed to use it for the occasional website that wouldn't function in Firefox (which doesn't seem to happen any more on XP). It's very easy to use - once it's installed you just right-click on the tab you want to change, and choose 'switch rendering engine'.
Thanks Jengie and Drifting Star, but solutions that work with XP don't usually function with Mac OS. Safari is good for almost everything but sometimes inexplicably quits... I use Firefox for internet banking because it seems to be faster, otherwise it's just my back-up.

[ 08. April 2009, 23:12: Message edited by: The Galloping Granny ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Granny, I visit that site regularly, it's a good procrastinating tool, and have no problems with my Mac.

I used to get a new puzzle emailed every day but seem to have dropped off their list for that. Have you tried that or is it when you are trying a puzzle that you have problems?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Granny, I visit that site regularly, it's a good procrastinating tool, and have no problems with my Mac.

I used to get a new puzzle emailed every day but seem to have dropped off their list for that. Have you tried that or is it when you are trying a puzzle that you have problems?

I'm writing this from the home of procrastination.
No, haven't done a daily puzzle. Only one a day? I have a look at what's on offer and avoid subjects that don't appeal. After a month at Matarangi there are plenty to catch up on when I'm back on broadband. I try to beat the 'average time' and usually can but my hand isn't very steady and it sometimes takes more than a moment to push a piece into place.

With Firefox the pieces tend to break apart as I move them. Weird.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

I'm writing this from the home of procrastination.
No, haven't done a daily puzzle. Only one a day? I have a look at what's on offer and avoid subjects that don't appeal. After a month at Matarangi there are plenty to catch up on when I'm back on broadband. I try to beat the 'average time' and usually can but my hand isn't very steady and it sometimes takes more than a moment to push a piece into place.

With Firefox the pieces tend to break apart as I move them. Weird.

Galloping Granny

They should do for Firefox as it is the coding of Firefox they are dependent on, not the Operating System(OS). That is Firefox handles the relationship with the OS and these operate totally within a Firefox Environment.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have any advice on how to photograph a church interior without using flash, so that I get the interior coming out nicely, but the stained glass windows aren't hopelessly over-exposed?

I.e. if one takes a shot of an altar with pretty floral arrangements and a stained glass window behind it, how do I get all to display to their best advantage simultaneously?

I have a digital SLR and a less flexible compact and would welcome any tips from people who have actually done this successfully. There must be a way.

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Does anyone have any advice on how to photograph a church interior without using flash, so that I get the interior coming out nicely, but the stained glass windows aren't hopelessly over-exposed?

I think you'll probably have to venture into the world of High Dynamic Range Imaging (HDRI), by means of which you get the picture you want by way of combining multiple exposures. There is software to do auto-magically, and there are also ways of doing it semi-manually. You start out with a range of exposures in your images, kinda like you get with automatic exposure bracketing on some DSLR's, but wider. Using a tripod makes your life easier when it comes time for post-processing, but IIRC is not strictly necessary. In your case, you'd take a shot exposing for the darkest area, one to get the windows at their best, and possibly more in-between. You then go in through Photoshop or whatnot and stitch the best bits together.

Sorry if I'm a little vague, Mr. Otter has looked at it more than I have. IIRC he has and likes this book on the subject .

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know the etymology of the word 'akimbo' (or possibly a-kimbo)? I understand it to mean splayed, badly arranged, or even disorganised, but I have no idea where it could have originated from - is it a bastardisation of a French word or something like that?

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wikipedia can help you with the meaning, but not the etymology.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the Online Etymology Dictionary [one of my favorite resources, which I learned about on the ship!], its origin is Scandinavian:
quote:
c.1400, in kenebowe, perhaps from phrase in keen bow "at a sharp angle," or from a Scand. word akin to Icelandic kengboginn "bow-bent." Many languages use a teapot metaphor for this, such as Fr. faire le pot à deux anses "to play the pot with two handles."

[darned accent marks get me every time]

[ 10. April 2009, 04:41: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a similarly dictionarial theme, has anyone got an online Oxford English Dictionary sub? I'm trying to reference "wellum" (a large drain under a road, and possibly an East Anglianism) for something I'm writing, and have had no luck finding a definition thus far. Google disnae help.

I could go into work and do it from there, but I've got better things I could do in the time it will take to get there and back, and it's raining!

Thanks,

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
You start out with a range of exposures in your images, kinda like you get with automatic exposure bracketing on some DSLR's, but wider.

Thanks, Otter. The Photoshop answer had occurred to me, but my camera does do AEB (which I haven't yet tried out) which might make life easier...
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
On a similarly dictionarial theme, has anyone got an online Oxford English Dictionary sub? I'm trying to reference "wellum" (a large drain under a road, and possibly an East Anglianism) for something I'm writing, and have had no luck finding a definition thus far. Google disnae help.

I could go into work and do it from there, but I've got better things I could do in the time it will take to get there and back, and it's raining!

Thanks,

AG

Oxford Dictionary was no help, but when I searched Oxford Reference Online, it came up with a result from A Dictionary of British Place-Names in Names & Places

quote:
1. Welham
Notts. Wellun 1086 ( DB ). ‘(Place at) the springs’. OE wella in a dative plural form wellum

Dunno if that's any assistance... searching google for wella brings up lots of hair care products!

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that, LoY. I think I have to hope that I don't get asked for a reference to that one, or refer to an elderly East Anglian for a verbal account!

AG

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Galloping Granny

I wonder if the add on All in One Sidebar might not be a work around for change options.

Also you might like to change your tab setting. I must admit I am a coward at this and don't really know how to do it but something like Tab Mix Plus might allow you to do this. There were some nice tab addons early on which unfortunately do not work with newer versions of Firefox. I set mine up using one of those so can not speak for Tab Mix Plus.
Jengie

Thanks for this and subsequent help. I might corner my son to help! But mostly I'll stick with Safari.
GG

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
Is there a UK football club with a longer name than Inverness Caledonian Thistle (28 characters, including spaces)?

OK, possibly the full name of LlanfairPG's club..., but we're really thinking league/whatever the Conference is called this year sort of level.

I have asked this for you in the Football Thread in Heaven - it might get a more attentive audience.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bad Language question.

I thought fucktard was a unique ship expletive, possibly Erin's invention. Yet I just watched the last episode of Skins (UK TV programme) and I'd swear I heard JJ call Cook and the pretty boy fucktards.

Is fucktard a real life sweary-word, then? Have I been crediting the ship with a creative coup that it doesn't deserve all this time?

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
Is there a UK football club with a longer name than Inverness Caledonian Thistle (28 characters, including spaces)?

I have asked this for you in the Football Thread in Heaven - it might get a more attentive audience.
Thanks Wet Kipper, not really being a football bod, I'd forgotten there was a Circus thread on it!

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Figbash

The Doubtful Guest
# 9048

- Posted      Profile for Figbash   Author's homepage   Email Figbash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I have a question. What is a powerball? Amazon keeps telling me I ought to own one, but when I followed the link to their 'powerball store' it didn't explain what they did. It appeared you were expected to already know.

So what is one and what is it for?

Posts: 1209 | From: Gashlycrumb | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

[Killing me] Oh, the lovely straight line.

Around here, anyway, "powerball" is some sort of state-run lottery.

--------------------

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Figbash:
Okay, I have a question. What is a powerball? Amazon keeps telling me I ought to own one, but when I followed the link to their 'powerball store' it didn't explain what they did. It appeared you were expected to already know.

Here is the website with info. It's basically a gyroscope inside a sphere, with a little cord to pull which starts it spinning. You then have to hold it in your hand and contort yourself in interesting ways to keep it spinning. Mr Ags was bought one for Christmas. It's supposed to help with strengthening arms/wrists/hands etc. When I tried to use it I discovered I have a very short attention sp

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understood things, "convection" describes the movement of unequally-heated fluids ("hot air rises, cool air falls").

An ordinary oven works on this basis: heating elements low down, hot/cool air movement to distribute the heat.

So why are ovens that have a fan to distribute heated air called "convection" ovens?

And what does one call the "normal" oven, now that the proper word has been misappropriated?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Figbash

The Doubtful Guest
# 9048

- Posted      Profile for Figbash   Author's homepage   Email Figbash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ags:
quote:
Originally posted by Figbash:

Here is the website with info. It's basically a gyroscope inside a sphere, with a little cord to pull which starts it spinning. You then have to hold it in your hand and contort yourself in interesting ways to keep it spinning. Mr Ags was bought one for Christmas. It's supposed to help with strengthening arms/wrists/hands etc. When I tried to use it I discovered I have a very short attention sp

[Big Grin]

I see. How madly thrilling.

So can anybody explain to me the stuff about '350 Hz' etc, etc, etc that Amazon keep moaning on about. Is that the frequency at which the gyro rotates?

Plus I understand what. I just don't understand why.

Then again, my idea of exercise is rolling over in bed, so perhaps I'm not the target audience.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thanks,

AG

Is there perhaps a connection with the Latin "Vallum" - a ditch? (Like at Hadrian's Wall).

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Figbash

The Doubtful Guest
# 9048

quote:

Thanks,

AG

I knew buying the complete OED would be useful one day.

Sorry, but it isn't in. SO IT DOESN'T EXIST! Hahahahahahahahaha.

Then again, the OED is descriptive not prescriptive. I'd go with the 'vallum' suggestion.

[ 13. April 2009, 20:55: Message edited by: Figbash ]

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
As I understood things, "convection" describes the movement of unequally-heated fluids ("hot air rises, cool air falls").

An ordinary oven works on this basis: heating elements low down, hot/cool air movement to distribute the heat.

So why are ovens that have a fan to distribute heated air called "convection" ovens?

And what does one call the "normal" oven, now that the proper word has been misappropriated?

There are three general modes of heat transfer: radiation, conduction, and convection. In most regular ovens, the primary modes are radiation and conduction. There is relatively little air motion circulating through the oven space (or, there should be, unless it's leaking lots of heat energy out), and the cold object inserted for cooking will maintain a boundary layer of cooler air that acts to resist conduction.

So, the point of "convection" ovens is to cause a forced draft inside the oven volume that strips away the cooler boundary layer around the victim and allows the hotter air to transfer heat more directly.

But you're essentially right: they would more accurately be called "forced draft" ovens.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016