homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or for hoi polloi who like single-syllable words, how about 'fan ovens'?
(Notice how I omitted the 'the' for the sake of high pedantry)

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will soon be flying (within the US) for the first time since acquiring a laptop. Any special hints from seasoned travelers that will minimise problems going thru security with a laptop?

--------------------
~Penny

Posts: 1130 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't put any explosives or drugs in it. [Big Grin]

And have it easily accessible - they (often? usually?) have to go through the x-ray thing by themselves, not in a bag. I carry mine in a neoprene sleeve in my backpack - it's easy to get out and easy to put back. Important for not causing a traffic jam or getting flustered once you've made it through the barrier.

I have heard about having to take batteries out for security checks but have never been required to do that myself. It's usually pretty easy to get batteries out anyway.

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's VERY important that you remember that you have had to take it out of your bag, and that you have to pick it up and put it back in your bag afterwards. Otherwise, you will have the same sick feeling my dear husband had, of going to unpack his laptop at his hotel, realising it wasn't there and remembering that the last time he'd seen it was when he removed it from his bag at security....

He got it back the next day! But it meant a trip back to the airport when he could have been doing something more interesting.

The nice people at security assured him he wasn't the only one to have done this.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am normally asked to boot up laptops when I go through security in the US. I don't know why, this doesn't happen to everybody - I genuinely suspect that I'm on some list somewhere. (On internal US flights I am also usually required to reclaim my check-in luggage and unpack it in front of a security guard. I have been known to have to take my outer clothing off for searching too, though nothing more intimate than that, thank goodness! Nevertheless, I avoid flying in the US!)

Anyway, sorry for the digression. Booting up your laptop is a possibility, though the logic of that escapes me - surely it is not beyond the wit of terrorist masterminds to fashion a laptop that both boots up and harbours explosives?

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't odd questions pop into your head sometimes? I've a couple I've been pondering recently, for no very good reason.

One: In the UK (and, I think, Europe), our "daylight saving time" runs from about the end of October to about the end of March. But this means we only get two months of dark evenings before the winter solstice, but three months after. Does anybody know why we do it like this? - it seems to me that it would meet half-way those who want to do away with it altogether if we moved to the lighter evenings around the end of February.

Two: I don't want to sound curmudgeonly about this, but we're often told to "save water" these days - you know, turn off taps while you're brushing your teeth and so on. But can anyone tell me how it helps someone in London (let alone sub-Saharan Africa) if I, in soggy Manchester, turn my tap off? I mean, my saving water doesn't get any more water to those drier places - we don't even have a national water distribution system, let alone an international one.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the question of Daylight Saving Time, in Britain "British Summer Time" runs from the last weekend in March to that in October, and in that period the clocks are advanced an hour from GMT so we get lighter evenings. In the early seventies it was tried all year round but it was still dark in Scotland at 10 am (yes, dark, not just a bit murky). I think the figures showed that it saved lives on the roads but it was dropped. Maybe it's worth another look.

Now on to water. It's true that water isn't being made any more but our problem, and especially London's problem, is that water is being taken from aquifers at a rate greater than they refill. If the pipes taking used water were reliable then that wouldn't be so much of a problem but I think something like 3% of London's used water just leaks away, and this takes centuries to get back to the aquifers from which it came in the first place.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On London water. It is true that a lot just leaks out of old pipes. London Water (or whatever they are called these days), say they are replaceing all the old pipes. That is great but at the moment we have to put with leaking pipes and great big holes in the road.

I am from Preston a very rainy town, and we were always still told to save water.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Now on to water. It's true that water isn't being made any more but our problem, and especially London's problem, is that water is being taken from aquifers at a rate greater than they refill. If the pipes taking used water were reliable then that wouldn't be so much of a problem but I think something like 3% of London's used water just leaks away, and this takes centuries to get back to the aquifers from which it came in the first place.

Yeah, but I think the question was - how does saving water in Manchester or Scotland (where we're not short, usually, it just keeps falling out of the sky into our reservoirs) help places where there isn't so much? We're not using up your aquifers.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

quote:
In the early seventies it was tried all year round but it was still dark in Scotland at 10 am (yes, dark, not just a bit murky). I think the figures showed that it saved lives on the roads but it was dropped. Maybe it's worth another look.

It didn't work in Scotland because children were going to school in the dark in the mornings. Coming home from school after dark isn't quite so bad, because there's less traffic around at 4pm, but children who had to be at school by 9am were on the roads at the same time as people driving to work.

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a decrease in fatalities in the south and an increase in the north.

It might work better now, when fewer children walk/cycle to school, but personally, I don't fancy it.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

FWIW, where we live, about 2/3 of the way up Scotland, on the shortest day our sunrise is at 8.50am, and sunset is at 15.25pm - so my kids are at school just before sunrise, and are coming home at sunset. Change that by an hour and they'd be watching the sunrise from their classroom windows, but would be coming home in daylight. I'd rather they were in darkness when there was less traffic about, i.e. on their journey home.

Also, it's more likely to be icy underfoot just before dawn, than just before dusk - more falls on slippy pavements if the kids were walking to school an hour before sunrise.

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

One: In the UK (and, I think, Europe), our "daylight saving time" runs from about the end of October to about the end of March. But this means we only get two months of dark evenings before the winter solstice, but three months after. Does anybody know why we do it like this? - it seems to me that it would meet half-way those who want to do away with it altogether if we moved to the lighter evenings around the end of February.

It's that European staple compromise.

At one time British Summer Time ran from the beginning of March until the end of October while on most of the continent MESZ ran from the beginning of April until the end of September.

This meant 4 timetable changes for internation flights/boats/teleconfernces etc. each year so they wanted to standardize. I think at the beginning of the 1990's the start was standardized on the last Sunday of March. So those countries that followed the Britsh pattern lost 3 weeks and other countries gained 1 week of Summer Time. Meanwhile the standard end was the last Sunday in September but Britain and Ireland were allowed an extra 4 weeks. This meant that usually Britain changed back on the last Sunday of October which was what most automatically changing the clock software was programmed to do, however one year there were 5 Sundays in October and so the change was made on the Sunday before the last Sunday in October resulting in the need for a software patch.

Anyway the arguement that Britain had for the extra month was it help tourism in that outdoor attrations could stay open an hour later - rememeber that the half term autumn school holiday is usally the week before the last Sunday in October but the winter half term holiday is earlier than the begining of March so not so much advantage that end. Well after the fall of communism when East European countries were able to go along with the West - this tourism advantage was seen as a good idea hence all of Europe now ends summer time at the end of October.

The communist angle is important as West Germany always wanted to be on the same time as East Germany and east europe came late to using Summer time thus for many years counties in westerm Europe changed their clocks over the summer but West Germany (and Switzerland for reasons of conservativeness) did not adopt summer time until East Germany did. And if I remember correctly East Germany started Summner time later than western European countries the first year that they had it and West Germany followed the East German pattern rather than their western neigbours.

A quiz question:

During the Summers when most of western europe (and Turkey) used Summer time and eastern Europe did not you could travel from London (GMT+1) to Istanbul (GMT+3) over land (with only one ferry from Dover to Calais) and everytime you crossed a border you had to change the time on your watch.
Do you know what route that would have been and what time zomes were involved?

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does cream soda taste so creamy?
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
What's with the 12 inch high temporary polythene sheet fences that sprout randomly around the verges of UK motorways?

I noticed some new, rather permanent, structures of similar form on the Bedford bypass this weekend. Sorry - no camera. Memo to self: go on photo-fence-safari next weekend.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question about British dialects which has just occurred to me (also posted on the Little Britain thread in All Saints):

I currently have the joy of living in an area where good things are "canny", bad things are "a chew on", things happen "of a morning/evening" (even in semi-official documents like care plans) and "mams" have "bairns" (hardly ever do I hear these creatures referred to as "children" at my work place). I love it [Smile]

(I'm in the North East of England for any non-Brits scratching their heads at this point.)

At work, my colleagues almost always tell each other that they're just nipping out for a "tab" - I think I've very occasionally heard it referred to as "a smoke", never as a fag / ciggie / cigarette / whatever.

Is this another piece of NE-specific language, or is it a general British colloquialism and I just haven't worked in enough places where cigarette breaks are frequent and need to be anounced (care environment for ppl with high-support needs = staff need to know when the number of staff inside the building has just gone down from 4 to 3)?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me a "tab" is either someone from England's second oldest university, or a rather more potent drug than tobacco!

At school, we did use to call cigarettes 'tiggers' at one point, but I think that was just us. I got completely blank looks when I first went up to uni and asked if someone could "sub me a tigger."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:

At work, my colleagues almost always tell each other that they're just nipping out for a "tab" - I think I've very occasionally heard it referred to as "a smoke", never as a fag / ciggie / cigarette / whatever.

Is this another piece of NE-specific language, or is it a general British colloquialism and I just haven't worked in enough places where cigarette breaks are frequent and need to be anounced (care environment for ppl with high-support needs = staff need to know when the number of staff inside the building has just gone down from 4 to 3)?

I use to work in care and have heard lots of expressions for cigarette breaks and while i knew what tab meant, it's not one i've heard use regularly. I did work with one person who also said "i'm going to feed the cat" when he was going for a cigarette break!"

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would not use "tab" but I'd know what was meant in the situation of law abiding social workers. I imagine but may be wrong that it may come from "to tab" someone for a cigarette which if I recall correctly, this is highly dubious, was to cadge a cigarette off someone.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tangent]
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:

(I'm in the North East of England for any non-Brits scratching their heads at this point.)

I'm jealous. Let me know when there's a parish vacant. [Biased]

[/Tangent]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How does one address the Dalai Lama in polite correspondence, please? (form of address, your grace, honour, majesty, eminence, holiness, celestial radiance, that sort of thing)
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
How does one address the Dalai Lama in polite correspondence, please? (form of address, your grace, honour, majesty, eminence, holiness, celestial radiance, that sort of thing)

"Your Holiness" according to a quick Google.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or, less formally, Hello Dalai.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ba-dum-tisssshh.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Or, less formally, Hello Dalai.

Last of the Red Hot Lamas.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I saw someone walking briskly down the street with a horn of the musical instrument variety. It was a quite enormous one that he was actually wearing - two coils of it wrapped around his body, and the bell of the thing like a huge flower sticking out above his shoulder and head.

Has anyone any idea what the name for this particular instrument might be?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Sousaphone or less likely a Helicon?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might have been some form of Sousaphone. The two coils went round his waist though. And the instrument was white. Except for the keys, which were brass. Quite a sight.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was probably a fiberglass sousaphone. They're much easier to carry in marching bands.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Similar but not quite. It was bigger than that. The coils were like a belt that encircled him, back and front - basically he'd have had to put it on over his head to get it on. But I expect it belongs to the same family and is a close relative.

(I bet he's popular with his neighbours...!)

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might be a tuba.

Does one need a social security number to file taxes in the United States?

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Does one need a social security number to file taxes in the United States?

Yes, I think you technically have to have one in order to qualify to receive wages in the US. But if you're interested in paying the IRS money, I'm sure they would find an expeditious means to assign you one.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen sousaphones with that belt design. Apparently you can even rearrange some models.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Similar but not quite. It was bigger than that. The coils were like a belt that encircled him, back and front - basically he'd have had to put it on over his head to get it on. But I expect it belongs to the same family and is a close relative.

(I bet he's popular with his neighbours...!)

If it wrapped around its waist, it was probably a sousaphone. Here are photos of both instruments. The tuba (bottom of page) points upwards and the coils don't wrap around you. The tuba and sousaphone apparently play the same notes but the sousaphone is the "marching tuba."

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do so many 'ready meals' (at least in the UK) now come with an obligatory splash of chilli oil? And restaurant meals too. Not just recipes with chinese or asian provenance, but recently I've encountered a clear French onion soup and a beef casserole that have been adulterated.

Not everyone appreciates the 'bite'; we would rather taste the food. Or am I hyper-sensitive to capsaicin??

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Two: I don't want to sound curmudgeonly about this, but we're often told to "save water" these days - you know, turn off taps while you're brushing your teeth and so on. But can anyone tell me how it helps someone in London (let alone sub-Saharan Africa) if I, in soggy Manchester, turn my tap off? I mean, my saving water doesn't get any more water to those drier places - we don't even have a national water distribution system, let alone an international one.

At times, and in places, where water is not at a premium for itself, the process of getting the water to your tap is still energy intensive. Water from a reservoir needs to be pumped, filtered and cleaned etc. The water that flows into your plug hole will also need to be moved and cleaned up before ending up back in the wider world. That is how I rationalise at least.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just moved into a new flat and I'm busy sorting out all the little things that aren't quite as I need them. One of these is the main ceiling light in my living room, which is just a single socket with a 100w bulb, is not going to be bright enough. I would like to replace the socket with the sort of 3 or 5 bulb fitting that used to be commonplace. Can anyone tell me what is the maximum wattage that I can have on a ceiling light (the normal UK wiring system)?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some guidance is available here. There are two factors to take into account: first the individual fitting will have a rating in watts, and shouldn't be used with bulbs so as to exceed that rating; secondly, the circuit overall shouldn't be overloaded. Your lighting circuit is probably rated for 5 amps so it shouldn't be loaded with more than 1200 watts of equipment. So, for example, three fittings each with 5x100W bulbs would be too much. Provided the total potential load doesn't exceed your circuit capacity and the bulbs don't exceed the fitting rating you should be all right.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Qoheleth.
quote:
Why do so many 'ready meals' (at least in the UK) now come with an obligatory splash of chilli oil?
My guess is, to make it taste like something. Ready meals tend toward the bland; the processing methods do not allow flavours to develop or emerge. On this side of the pond, the 'remedy' is usually garlic powder.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Some guidance is available here. There are two factors to take into account: first the individual fitting will have a rating in watts, and shouldn't be used with bulbs so as to exceed that rating; secondly, the circuit overall shouldn't be overloaded. Your lighting circuit is probably rated for 5 amps so it shouldn't be loaded with more than 1200 watts of equipment. So, for example, three fittings each with 5x100W bulbs would be too much. Provided the total potential load doesn't exceed your circuit capacity and the bulbs don't exceed the fitting rating you should be all right.

Thanks BroJames. If I understand you correctly then, assuming I don't leave all the lights burning in every other room in the flat (I don't!) I should be ok with a ceiling light fitting with, say, 3 bulbs of 75watts each (which is what I estimate I want?

I'm not including table lamps in the above as they run off the main sockets.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course if you use CFL bulbs you can get a lot more light for much lower wattage.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incandescent bulbs are getting harder to find these days - we use all CFLs and have no complaints at all.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question:

I'm trying to buy fairtrade and/or organic food if ever possible, and am only using refined sugar very rarely. (I find it doesn't have that nice crunch of raw sugar.)

The last batch of organic, non-fairtrade brown sugar (Brazilian Jacutinga) I bought seems to have a very strong smell and taste of its own, not unpleasant certainly, but not really what I want in my tea; I'd love to experience the luvverly taste of my tea selection with only a hint of added sweetness.

Could it be that unrefined cane sugar taste different from sugar-beet? Or is it the organic vs non-organic that makes the difference? Or perhaps it's just grown in a different place, or is it of a different type? (I guess I'll go back to the fairtrade Paraguay one I had before.)

Many thanks for your comments, Ship's expert chefs. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:

Thanks BroJames. If I understand you correctly then, assuming I don't leave all the lights burning in every other room in the flat (I don't!) I should be ok with a ceiling light fitting with, say, 3 bulbs of 75watts each (which is what I estimate I want?

I'm not including table lamps in the above as they run off the main sockets.

I am not an electrician, but this seems OK, and you are right to exclude table lamps plugged into the power circuit. Depending on the size of your flat you may have more than one lighting circuit - a look at your consumer unit (formerly known as a fuse board by us oldies) should tell you that.
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would anyone have any suggestion for an address to write to Helen Roseveare, author of Give me this mountain?
Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If google hasn't worked, write c/o her publisher (address will be in the book).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Hart. I haven't actually got a copy of the book, but will try to track one down this weekend. [Smile]
Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have an URL to that website that tells about all the secret phone numbers and tricks to speak to a person who can actually do something for you when dealing with a many menued corporate phone wall?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Is it gethuman.com?
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How does Flickr work? Is it idiot-proof? Really idiot-proopf? Pimplidiotpruf?

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
How does Flickr work? Is it idiot-proof? Really idiot-proopf? Pimplidiotpruf?

It's even Pigwidgeonidiotpruf. [Biased]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016