homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: The Rev Gerald Ambulance Guidance Column (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: The Rev Gerald Ambulance Guidance Column
Rev. Gerald Ambulance

Soulsaving supersonic spiritual celebrity
# 359

- Posted      Profile for Rev. Gerald Ambulance   Author's homepage   Email Rev. Gerald Ambulance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ibiza Beach Mission: The Evening

Even when the the sun set on this fleshly pagan paradise, I rested not, continuing my labours in unquenchable faith that eventually someone would listen to me. And so to the nightclub.

It has been remarked upon - though I say it myself - that my dancing is testimony to the fact that I have not squandered much of my time in this Godless activity. You have to try to fit in though. I spent several evenings at Sister Maureen Crank's dance workshop earlier in the summer though, and I think it paid off.

So, concealing my ecclesiastical garments under a kagoule, I mingled among the multitude, raising my hands aloft in what I believed to be time to the music, handing out copies of "But I Never Thought I'd Be Damned for Wine Gums!", and The Collected Proverbs of Rev Gerald Ambulance - remembering this year not to take any sweets of anybody.

At last I returned to my little room to receive the Lord's blessing of sleep to empower me for another day's spiriual warfare.

Yes, I rejoice in the knowledge that the word of the Lord does not return unto Him void, but accomplishes that which He please, and doth prosper in the thing whereto He sent it, though it usually seems to wait till I'm gone before it does.

--------------------
If God had meant women to have longer names than men, he would have created Adam and Evangeline. - Rev. Gerald Ambulance (me!)

Posts: 219 | From: Lewisham | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is lateness a sin?
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes.

See the "Basic Lack of Decency" thread in hell if you doubt me on this.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

- Posted      Profile for Rev. Gerald Ambulance   Author's homepage   Email Rev. Gerald Ambulance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Viola
The Rev'd Gerald was ministering in a mighty way at Greenbelt.

Ah yes, what a mighty time of ministry that was. I must acknowledge what a deep joy & blessing it was to have me there.
And I also was enriched, in a very real way, though the figure wasn't what I'd expected.

The important thing is that I was able to bring a little light into the darkness of the tousle-headed, teepee-dwelling lives of those quasi-Christians - though in retrospect probably not as much light as darkness they brought into mine. So I won't be back in future unless it's to do book signings.

I tell you - he's just like you'd think he would be - only slightly taller.

You have short thoughts, I take it.

--------------------
If God had meant women to have longer names than men, he would have created Adam and Evangeline. - Rev. Gerald Ambulance (me!)

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been given a real heart for nudists. A lot of people think they're a lost cause, but I saw some outstanding members among them. Really, they're trying to get back to before the Fall, and you've got to respect that.

Dear Gezza, as I have probably been a Christian longer than you've been alive (803 years so far if you count past lives) I am going to unflinchingly split my infinitives and put your spiritual welfare before my own personal feelings. (Otherwise I wouldn't be speaking to you after some of the things you've said).

I am concerned. Your above remark displays that you have a huge crack opening up in your theology. To respect people who choose to go naked in public as 'trying to get back to before the Fall' is as insidious as respecting people of other faiths 'because they know God'. This can only lead to an erosion of your faith. Believe me, nudists ('naturists' as they call themselves) are Big Trouble. I went topless in Yugoslavia for two weeks (only on the beach, of course) in 1984, and conflict broke out not long afterwards. In fact Petrovac, where my shameful acts took place, was in the news the other week after a fresh outbreak of hostility. I rest my case.

I know you are seeking members for the church. I know you seek to keep abreast of modern trends, but Gez, put yourself first for once and flee.

BTW I notice several references to 'needing sleep', feeling slightly despondent that you're rarely around to see the fruits of your ministry, and hiding your cassock under a cagoule. Are you suffering from burn-out?

(If so, getting your kit off on some French beach as near as possible to the local bar is a good remedy. Apparently.)

--------------------
Still hanging in there...

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
Could an Anglocatholic tat queen ever happily coexist in the same body with a hands in the air Spirit worshiper? Please help me.

I could swing both ways.

But not with these guys ....

Anglo-Catholic Charismatics

Yet to read this.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BTW Edward I think I had an idea about what your dream meant but I can't mail you... mail me, Honey!

--------------------

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Wibblethorpe
Man, it was wild, I int never felt the anointing like I did that night. Amen?

Amen! Behold, Brother Wibblethorpe, I saw the dove of anointment descend upon thy head and deposit a rich blessing.

Reverend Father Gerald, if I too want to minister like you with the associated potential for book sales what should I do? Did you go to seminary, or would buying a copy of 'My first guitar chords for praise and worship' be a better direction to take?

Ah, Sibling Wibble, my path to the top has been a long and hard (but of course deeply joyous) one.
It was in my late teens that I first heard, clear as the crystal sea, the call of God.

It was after the youth club disco, which I had been sitting outside for three hours (partly on conscientious grounds and partly because the only time I ever tried dancing I was lept on by the St John's Ambulance and held to the floor in the recovery position) experimenting with the possibilities of transubstantiating snakebite.

And behold an infallibly spooky voice spake unto me, saying, "Go into the world Rev Gerald, and reach out to them with my love."

I followed this instruction to the letter, and ended up in Peckham Juvenile Offenders Care Centre. And while I was there, behold, the word of the Lord came to me again, saying "OK I can see I'm going to be a little more literal. I forgot you were a fundamentalist. How about 'Preach the gospel'?"

So this was the path I followed, in a part-time, amateur, non-famous way for years.

I felt the call of the Lord to serve him full-time about the same time as I was sacked from the Department of Social Security for laying hands on the unemployed.

So I did indeed enroll at a seminary, the Bangor Indoctrination Institute. But in my first term there I was forced to reprimand them for being unable to tell me anything I didn't already know from reading the Bible.

So in the vacation they all went away and found out some more, which they came back and taught us in the spring term. I was then forced to denounce them all as notorious heretics for teaching us things that weren't in the Bible.

Pausing only to call down fire from heaven upon that forsaken pit of desolation, I returned home and developed my tract writing ministry.

My first anointed outpouring, So You Don't Think Ezekiel was a Pre-Tribulationist?, now universally recognised as being a bit heavygoing, was not the worldshaking blockbuster you'd expect if you're familiar with my later work. But I learned a lot from the experience.

(Tomorrow: A door opens in Lewisham!)

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Reverend--
The whole issue of staying for breakfast aside, if one has a, ah, friend stay the night on a Saturday night, should one invite said friend to attend services on with one, if said friend is either a member of a different church or (even trickier), not a regular attendee of any church?

Puzzled Ferret

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

And what does one do about the inevitable temptation to use the time as God's guidance to lie in, then laze about drinking tea and evangelizing over a few salacious Sunday Newspapers? I know I give in to this one every time, especially with other church-goers...

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
originallly posted by Gill

quote:
And what does one do about the inevitable temptation to use the time as God's guidance to lie in, then laze about drinking tea and evangelizing over a few salacious Sunday Newspapers? I know I give in to this one every time, especially with other church-goers...

So Gill do you conduct your lie-ins with other church-goers? Interesting form of worship.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Revd Mr Ambulance,

I have been trying to court, as it were, one of the priests in my diocese. She insists that we are not of compatible orientations. I don't want to fall into the vain pomp and glory of the world, with all the covetous desires of the same and the carnal desires of the flesh, but I believe I would have more success in the courting ritual if I had more ostentatious tail feathers and gainful employment.

Would an avian-human relationship be considered abomination? I only ask because I want to remain unblemished between now and the time I am offered for sacrifice.

Thankyou,
The Happy Coot.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

How I Became A Soul-Saving Supersonic Spiritual Celebrity (cont.)

I was on my annual furlough in Aberdeen enjoying the beauty of God's great earth and blessing some of the local wldlife with my barbecuing ministry, when I came across a copy of a programme for the 'Aberdeen Charlies' (a local amateur dramatic society)'s production of Jaws.

And on p 11, under an advert for Ewan McSpewan's, "Brewed in a ditch for the lagerist with discernment", I saw this:

St Ursula's Pentecostal Reformed Church, Lewisham.
We are looking to appoint a new Youth Elder, to replace Brother Alan Mullarkey who has passed on after 47 years faithful service.
Certificates and training
Are not what it's about
Experience and stuff like that
Are also way way out
But if you've got anointment
You'll get the appointment.

(And if you don't know UK geography, it goes Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, France, the Ukraine, Kurdistan, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, London, Lewisham.)

You can imagine how excited I was to find a church with such confidence in the Lord that they advertised a post 500 miles away where no appplicants would ever read it apart from the one man miraculously selected by God!
And that man was me!

I immediately packed away my tent, shotgun and barbecue and took a one-way journey to Lewisham.

I found the church, with a grey suited man putting up a poster of a yellow young man saying "Don't have a cow, man, have faith in the Lord Jesus."

I cried, "It is I, the one predestined from before all time to take up the post of Youth Elder at St Ursula's Pentecostal Reformed Church!"

He said, "Pleased to meet you. I'm the new Youth Elder of St Ursula's Pentecostal Reformed Church."

They'd employed the wrong person! Hmm, tricky situation. What was I to do?

(Tomorrow memory verse shoot out on Wheely Bin Terrace)

--------------------

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

I actually knew an Alan Mullarkey, but he was Mayor of Derby, and a Roman Catholic, so I suppose it's not the same man. And he's still sending us Christmas cards, and they're definitely from this side of the grave.....

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So when are you going to address our problems and concerns again Gezza(belle) rather than sciting about your achievements? I mean who really wants to know?

What we do want to know is how you're going to fix our agonies.

Really, I would have thought your Beach Mission on Ibiza was enough! Especially now that you are threatened with purgery...

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Most Right Reverand Gerald:

I am here to confess my sins. I was ensnared by the wiles of the Evil One, and lured to a thread of iniquity, with promises of nude pictures and talk of cup sizes by a shameless temptress.

Tell me, Reverend. What must I do to be healed?

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Heh, heh, heh...

quote:
a shameless temptress.

Wood Honey, that's the nicest thing a man has said about me for about... oooh, seventeen years!

Sorry you're so upset. It's traditional at times like this to clasp the Distressed Person to one's ample bosom, but perhaps not, in this case...

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
So when are you going to address our problems and concerns again Gezza

Indeed. i am still sorely vexed about the contents of my dream. What does it mean?

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill:
Sorry you're so upset. It's traditional at times like this to clasp the Distressed Person to one's ample bosom, but perhaps not, in this case...

We don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater, do we?

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This thread is ALIVE in the Lord! Raise your hands and shout HALLELUJAH!

No, that's not loud enough. If we shout loud enough, God has promised he will again send his devoted servant Rev Gerald back to the flock.

So come on everybody, let us get together and shout HALLELUJAH!

(Needless to say, I feel Gezza's gone into hiding since Gill posted those rather compromising pics on the other thread. I would like to see his reply. Indeed, in the name of all of his cyberflock, I call upon our Rev Gezzabelle to assuage our profound feeling of abandonment, and to reassure us in the light of these pictures, that it was his evil twin, and not him involved. Either that, or that the incidents prove his divine gift of bilocation...)

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
::hands upraised, swaying slightly -- no, it's not the gin, honest, I'm moved by the spirit::

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

*Shimmying across screen singing "Praisa da LORD" in the voice of Cartman in prophesying mode*

(Was it just me or did anyone else nearly expire laughing when he started his prophetic singing? And I don't usually watch South Park!)

--------------------

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

Dear Reverend,

Nude pictures, cup sizes, ample-bosom clasping and now....shimmying!!

What's a sinner to do?

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Why call me of course, Honey! (But only if you're a real sinner. I've had enough of Time Wasters.)

(If it could wink AND stick it's tongue out, then you have the general idea....)

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

How I Became A Soul-Saving Supersonic Spiritual Celebrity (cont.)

We brought the burden before the body - and before the throne, it goes without saying (or went without saying, until I said it) with prayer, fasting and a real sense of prostration and impalement. We ascertained that it was God's will for the two rivals for the post of Youth Elder to go outside for a memory verse shoot out, members of the congregation calling out book, chapter and verse, the true Youth Elder of the church being decided by who could recite the verse correctly first.

You will not be surprised to hear that the best man won (me), even though my specialist subject (Levitical abominations) didn't come up once. I thrashed him (immediately after winning the contest) and cast him forth into outer darkness, from where it is just a short walk to the bus station.

As Youth Elder I wore a backtofront baseball hat, watched the less offensive moments of Top of the Pops and said "Cool" whenever possible, in order to reach out to the youth of the church and come among them as one of their own. Or I should say to reach out to the youth of the church and came among him as one of his own, as the only member of the youth club was a 32-year-old trainspotter called Nigel.

I swapped the baseball hat for a bobble hat, Top of the Pops for stamp collecting and "Cool" for "We are the knights that say 'Ni!'", and the Lord was with me all the way (as he had been with me all the time till then, and with everyone else too, in a very real way).

With Nigel and his growing band of trainspotting converts leaving my tracts on trains at every station in the country, I soon became the most celebrated and anointed tract writer in Britain. (Only Chuck O'Loony of Alabama overshadowed me worldwide.)

This is what led to my first becoming a speaker at the annual Exegesis for the Common Man festival. At the same time I revolutionised St Ursula's with my anointed worship leading, and this is when my gift for song writing was first gifted unto me. (You will of course know the story of how I woke up in the middle of a sermon with the words and tune of "Oh God you are just really Lord" in my heart.)

All that remained was for the Lord to raise me up to be minister of St Ursula's, which he did when Rev Enoch passed sadly away in a freak eucharistic mishap. (Whatever rumours you may have heard in the national press, on certain scandalstirring Channel 4 programmes and from the police, he was accidentally transubstantiated as he presided, and had to eat himself.)

So there you go. Sorry, I can't remember your question now, but I hope that answers it.

[ 17 September 2001: Message edited by: Rev Gerald Ambulance ]

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Nunc
Rev Gerald Ambulance, while I am glad you are back (or would seem to be) you still have completely ignored me...

Alas, my child, is it so hard to wait your turn in patience and humility? Or at least silence, which would be a perfectly acceptable substitute?

Let me tell you about Sister Pat Mallard, who repeatedly insisted on partaking of my ministry before her hour was come. In the end I had a word in the appropriate quarters and had her prematurely raptured.

She who has eyes to read, let her read.

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Ham'n'Eggs
Rev Gerald, I have a proposition to make that will benefit you, I mean the Lord, greatly.

Clearly you have an administration problem with your flock. The sheep, the goats. Not to mention the wolves in sheep's clothing. And with all the demands that they make on your leisure time, oops, I mean the Lord's time. And let's face it, some of them are just downright tedious. A gentleman of your stature and dignity really shouldn't be arsed with all that.

So what I have in mind is for me to administrate your parish. I propose to appoint a curate for you. The Happy Coot is just gagging to get started. She can deal with all the dross that you wouldn't touch with a bargepole, and all the juicy stuff, I mean highly sensitive matters that need your experience and gentle empathy, can be forwarded direct to you. A small administrative token chargeable to each of your flock will never trouble you whatsoever.

And what would it take to bring about this state of bliss? I merely ask that you assign all syndication and franchising rights in the name "Rev Gerald Ambulance" and any combination or permutation of words pertaining thereto to me - I have a contract here that Dyfrig was so kind as to draw up for me earlier.

Do we have a deal?

My Dear Ham (how delightful to hear a biblical name round here for a change)

What a shame, my spirit was with yours right up to the last paragraph.
But it would be unthinkable for me to go along with your utterly unspiritual attempt to deprive me of much needed financial resources for the extension of the kingdom.

It is a real pity to see materialism come in the way of new opportunities for service.
(I mean your materialism, not mine, I hardly need say. Mine is simply sound stewardship.)

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Ham
Rev Gerald! You said that without moving your lips!

Ventriloquism is one of the most sadly overlooked gifts of the Spirit amongst today's clergy, as I learned most profitably from Father Einhard Heimerdinger, Keeper of the Grove of the Singing Madonna of Dorfberg.

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Beenster
Gerry-boy - I wanna join your church ... there is no-one like you and I am in awe at your teaching.
You are the greatest the best master of the universe.
I want to have your babies you great stud muffin.

Again, you had me with you right up the last sentence.

(I have to say I am entirely unacquainted with the meaning of the term "stud muffin", but I have a shrewd suspicion that I should keep things that way as long as possible.)

Wondrous though the idea is of populating the world with a holy army of the sons of Gerald, it would be completely against the calling of celibacy into which I have been most gloriously dumped.

Do not be downhearted though, for if I were to take unto myself a wife, your attitude of biblical submission and veneration right up to but just short of idolatry is exactly the kind of righteous quality I would look for above all the attractions of tea-making, jumble sale organisation, and errm, studding muffins.

Of course I emphatically deny that I am 'the greatest the best master of the universe'. But you should bear in mind that's exactly the kind of humility that I would have if I were.

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Beenster

Oh yes, you asked about joining St Ursula's.

Please do come on Sunday morning. We currently meet, for reaosns I'm not prepared to go into here, in a disused nuclear bunker behind the car park of Lewisham Tesco's. We meet to bear witness in word, worship and wobbling* at the sacred hour of 10.30.
You ought to get there by nine though, because you'll be asked to complete a thorough discernmentographical questionnaire on your beliefs and lifestyle.

If you pass, you'll receive a warm welcome, a membership certificate, and a small three volume book on the kind of conduct, clothing, hairstyle, language, church attendance, sacrificial giving, obedience to your spiritual leaders, reading matter, friends, eating habits etc. that the Lord now expects of you, entitled The Meaning of Free Grace.

If you fail, then depending on the score you'll be either asked to leave so we can purify the building in time for the service, or burned.

*You may mock, but if negotiations with Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship and Holy Trinity Brompton come off, this could be the next big thing.

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Ultraspike
Are you really just a shadow of the man that we once knew?
Are you crazy, are you high, or just an ordinary guy?
Are you with me Doctor? Can you hear me Doctor?

No. High (ecclesiologically, not pharmacologically speaking). No. Yes.

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Nunc
*falls to her knees exhibiting perfect contrition*
Forgive me father, for I have sinned...
I was wrong. You are a sane individual, well balanced, right on the Royal Telephone direct to God, and I have made an error in saying you should spend a millenium in Purgatory.
I should have said you will be going straight to Hell; your ministry merits infinitely more than Purgatory, and I truly believe Hell is the place for you to continue this admirable work in the Lord's Service.

Hmm. Not exactly what the phrase 'perfect contrition' brings to mind for me. More sucking up and less damning is I believe more usual.

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Nunc

quote:
It's not that God doesn't love birds, but they have a different role to play in the church from humans. To be eaten and sacrificed to the demands of human spirituality is a valuable and worthwhile ministry that you must learn to be content with.

Shouldn't it be "Sacrificed and eaten" rather than "eaten and sacrificed"? Sounds like we have to eat Coot, before she is sacrificed. And, personally speaking, Rev Gezza(belle), I'm not one for raw birds, whether or not they have bathed in the Chalice before administering it.

You see, Nunc, this is one of several differences between me and God. When God writes something, he has to express himself plainly and use every word literally so as not to confuse fundamentalists.
I however am allowed to use figures of speech.

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

tomb
I'm so very glad I didn't delete this thead.

Well, yes, I'm sure your avoidance of sacrilegious insanity is a great blessing to all of us.
All of us except Scudweasle Scrinemort, the Demon-in-Chief of the Aniti-clerical Offences branch of Eternal Torments R Us, who I hear was planning to take your case himself in the event of your decease.

--------------------

Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Tomb
Recently, a person of the priest persuasion imposed an unasked-for penance on me: He told me to anoint my head with margarine once a day for a week.
I confess to being profoundly shocked by this insensitive advice.
I can't think of anything I would rather do less than smear processed food on myself.

So you believe that penance should be more enjoyable and entertaining? May I suggest that you either take yourself from this place unto my colleague Rev April Marracca's Fellowship of Faith and Fun, or ask God to help you develop a more intelligent spirituality?

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev Gerald Ambulance:
When God writes something, he has to express himself plainly and use every word literally so as not to confuse fundamentalists.
I however am allowed to use figures of speech.

My very dear Rev Gerald, that comment was utterly, utterly wonderful. I would not be surprised if someone 'nicked it in the service of Christ'.

bb

[fixed UBB]

[ 17 September 2001: Message edited by: tomb ]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
tomb notes, with mixed emotions, that somebody who has, he fears, more authority than sense has elevated the Rev. Fr. Gerald Ambulance to the exalted status of Administrator.

On the one hand, this is clearly a Good Thing, inasmuch as the Rev. Ambulance will now be able to correct his own posts when the voices in his head become too loud and he becomes confused as to which of his multiple personalities is in charge.

Perhaps now he will be able to keep his sock-puppets straight, though tomb is not particularly Hopeful.

Moreover, in examining the Rev. Father's recent posts with a querulous editor's eye, tomb notes that such power has not persuaded Mr. Ambulance to correct his spelling--never one of that cleric's strong suits.

tomb would point out to the rest of the Ship that this is a strong indication of a profound character flaw: Sloth is one of the Seven Deadly Sins, after all. Ambulance seems to be afflicted with it in spades. No doubt, he's out celebrating his Elevation by purchasing himself purple underwear trimmed with lace and can't be bothered to fix his typing.

We shall see if such authority makes the Rev. Fr. a better person. Anyone for a small wager?

tomb

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

quote:

Scudweasle Scrinemort, the Demon-in-Chief of the Aniti-clerical Offences branch of Eternal Torments R Us, who I hear was planning to take your case himself in the event of your decease.

My dear Fr. Ambulance,

tomb admires your efforts to imitate C.S. Lewis's naming conventions for demons, which he so masterfuly exhibited in his Screwtape Letters. Lewis possessed a splendid mixture of Wit and Learning.

Alas, reverend sir, you possess neither.

tomb

Ack! tomb is suddenly struck by the possibility that the Rev. Ambulance was creating, not an imitation of C.S. Lewis, but a pastiche of J.K. Rowling. That, tomb supposes, is its own punishment....

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too had noticed the Reverend's new status. I think we need to know whether he obtained this in the same manner as he did the post of Youth Officer at St Ursula's or whether he was presented it by a now-saved ventriloquist's dummy.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by the ambulance:

quote:
word, worship and wobbling*

Will Wibble wobble?

And at tescos is it customary to be naked - it is a bit cold at the moment ...

btw - who is St. Ursula patron saint of?

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

quote:

You ought to get there by nine though, because you'll be asked to complete a thorough discernmentographical questionnaire on your beliefs and lifestyle.

If you pass, you'll receive a warm welcome, a membership certificate, and a small three volume book on the kind of conduct, clothing, hairstyle, language, church attendance, sacrificial giving, obedience to your spiritual leaders, reading matter, friends, eating habits etc. that the Lord now expects of you, entitled The Meaning of Free Grace.

Good laud! I've figured it out. You're Betty Bowers in drag!

crankytomb

Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
Will Wibble wobble?

He will do no such thing.

While I'm here can I ask the Reverend which hairstyles his Lewisham fellowship find acceptable? You see I need to get a new one soon so it's a good a time as any to seek the Lord and his anointed ministers on the subject.

Wibblethorpe

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Oh, Wibbs, don't cut your hair on account of that old simoniac!

longhairedtomb

Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We shall see, Tomb. Maybe the secret of the anointing is to take a vow not to cut one's hair. But if nothing else one so aquainted with youth ministry should be able to advise on what styles are in vogue these days.

Wibblethorpe

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
Nunc
*falls to her knees exhibiting perfect contrition*
Forgive me father, for I have sinned...
I was wrong. You are a sane individual, well balanced, right on the Royal Telephone direct to God, and I have made an error in saying you should spend a millenium in Purgatory.
I should have said you will be going straight to Hell; your ministry merits infinitely more than Purgatory, and I truly believe Hell is the place for you to continue this admirable work in the Lord's Service.

Hmm. Not exactly what the phrase 'perfect contrition' brings to mind for me. More sucking up and less damning is I believe more usual.

No no no no no NO!!! You, my dear Rev Gezzabelle have misconstrued my meaning completely. You ministry is Hellish - wouldn't be in Heaven if it were not? Therefore, to say your ministry is worthy of Hell says a great deal.

Be careful, Gezzabelle, or you might end up being eaten by dogs, like your illustrious OT forebear.

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:

Will Wibble wobble?

No, it is Weebbles that wobble, but don't fall down.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Revd Ambulance,

While others may mock, I see from your wise responses you are indeed Speaking in the Spirit (gin most likely) and thus present you with my problem.

I, as a salty seadog, find myself attracted to all manner of maritime adventure series, such as "Hornblower" and "The Love Boat", and am compelled to tape them while at work.

While this in itself is not of great concern, I find myself stealing neighbours pets and sacrificing them to Baird, Farnsworth, et al, as my way of thanking them for the gift of television.

Please help me, I beesech thee.
Admiral H.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev. Gerald Ambulance

# 359

Dyfrig
I am glad, "Rev." "Gerald", that you have now worked out how to use your own computer again.

Blessings on you "Mr" "Lewis" "-" "Smith", for your kind words.

May I in turn congratulate you on your recent apostasising from your ministry of singleness.

And I am pleased to hear that you have managed to lay down your biblical authority as a man by insisting that your surname goes first in the new-age amalgam that you call yourselves by.

In response to your unspoken desire for matrimonial advice, the most important thing is whenever she tells you to do something, do the opposite (or if there isn't an opposite, just use your imagination), then tell her you did what she said.
In the unlikely event that she ever challenges you, just say, ‘Who was created first?’
This has never been known to fail - or at least only in practice.

And never forget those three wonderful words that however many times you say them will never fail take you relationship back to where it belongs: "Where's my dinner?"

I wish to have your advice - I am of the view that the Church's existence is entirely contingent on Jesus Christ. However, this would seem to be a minority view, and that in fact the Church comes first. Can I be delivered of such apostasy?

Take one azyme three times a day before meals, while reciting the filioque.

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Reverend Mr Ambulance,

I fear I am descending into the morass of sin, sexual and salacious. Did you not say that giving advice on these matters was one of your anointed gifts from the Lord? Please do not leave us to struggle alone. Though. We feel better that our shared fellowship information assists other shipmates in better meeting our prayer needs.

A matter more important than my previous problem of lusting after unattainable straight women priests has arisen.

The other day, my past Rector spoke on prayer. He said that the first thing he does when he wakes in the morning is to hold hands with his wife and pray together. I found myself needing to know whether he scratches his testicles before or after holding hands, and whether he prays with a morning stiffie.

Do you think he is to blame for placing a stumbling block in my path by sharing this personal information that preys on my weak conscience? Is it appropriate to seek deliverance from these thoughts, and what if any penance should be done?

I do not know whether I am in the thrall of sin or not,
The Happy Coot.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

tomb just had a stroke from laughing so hard.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016