homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
You know what was missing? Nobody got killed that we know of. There were a couple of times when the monster snarled threateningly at people, but it didn't actually ever do anything except change shape. And if the Doctor is yelling 'don't go in the room, don't look straight at the monster', it's a bit of a let down if all the monster then does is hiss a bit and then let the human run back out of the room.

That's par for the course for a Steven Moffat script - despite his reputation for scariness, he hasn't actually killed anyone in Doctor Who on-screen, except for of old age (Blink), or without then bringing them back to life in a virtual reality (Silence in the Library).

Russell T Davies, on the other hand, killed off supporting characters left, right and centre in many of his stories!

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rock Pig:
"not filmed in Cardiff, filmed in Llandaff"?

[Killing me]

Last time I was there Llandaff was IN Cardiff.

Depends on your definition of Cardiff -- it's in the City and County of Cardiff, but it is a separate city; think London v Westminster!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We enjoyed it. Not too scary for the 10 year old (we still regret letting him watch 'blink' (?stone angels) on a recent re-run) but I personally thought

not a spoiler?

..the opening sequence (before the credits) was daft .

And there were a lot of Douglas Adams' ideas in there - he was a script writer long ago, so maybe doesn't need acknowledging, but even so... and I didn't like the 'robot eye' thing where the doc seems to have aquired a terminator style brain. But i'm being picky now.

[ 06. April 2010, 10:46: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
And there were a lot of Douglas Adams' ideas in there - he was a script writer long ago, so maybe doesn't need acknowledging, but even so...

You mean, more so than Tennant's first episode, where the Doctor saved the world by drinking tea while wearing a dressing gown? [Biased]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rock Pig
Shipmate
# 14503

- Posted      Profile for Rock Pig   Author's homepage   Email Rock Pig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair point Carys, but it practical terms I'd not hold Westminster up as a separate place to London. When I lived in Cardiff, Llandaff was in it. Two guys who worked for me lived there, the buses were orange and didn't give change (like the rest of town), and there were other bits of Cardiff all around it.

By the way, anyone else recognise the green being used from the episode where the young boy ends up an old soldier at a remembrance ceremony?

--------------------
If the neighbours ain't complainin', you ain't playin' it loud enough.

Posts: 148 | From: Old York | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Unda Maris
Shipmate
# 4983

- Posted      Profile for Unda Maris   Email Unda Maris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is the Doctor's costume and hair modelled so strongly on Keith Floyd?

I rest my case!

--------------------
Competence costs extra!

Posts: 66 | From: Solihull - the centre of England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

- Posted      Profile for hereweare   Email hereweare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like RofS, I was a bit put off with the praying to Santa - what was SM trying to say? God can't be mentioned these days? Praying and believing in God is like believing in Santa? Or should I get out more????
Thanks for the welcome Z

--------------------
Come home to Rome this Christmas!

Posts: 206 | From: here | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We enjoyed it.

I thought the new music was a bit more "Woo-ooo-ooo"-ey than the previous but I don't know why they changed it.

Matt Smith does, in my opinion, already make a good Doctor. I thought David Tennant was great but I find I am not missing him.

The relationship forming between the Doctor and young Amelia was superb, being based on him understanding some of the frustrations of being a child. I almost hope that the little girl appears again because I thought the actress was very good in her subtle mannerisms. I am also looking forward to how he and Amy get on and how she forgives him for abandoning her twice. If she does.

We were a bit confused about the time: if the Tardis landed in Amelia's garden 12 years ago why did it fly past the Millenium Dome and the Wheel on the way?

I also didn't think much of the wedding dress and the warning at the end. It has been done before.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: Praying to Santa. I don't know if it addresses it exactly but I like this quote from C.S. Lewis

quote:
"There is a stage in a child's life when it cannot separate the religious from the merely festal aspect of Christmas or Easter. I have been told of a very small and very devout boy who was heard murmuring to himself on Easter morning a poem of his own composition which began ‘Chocolate eggs and Jesus risen.’ This seems to me, for his age, both admirable poetry and admirable piety. But of course the time will soon come when such a child can no longer effortlessly and spontaneously enjoy that unity. He will become able to distinguish the spiritual from the ritual and festal aspect of Easter; chocolate eggs will no longer seem sacramental. And once he has distinguished he must put one or the other first. If he puts the spiritual first he can still taste something of Easter in the chocolate eggs; if he puts the eggs first they will soon be no more than any other sweetmeat. They will have taken on an independent, and therefore a soon withering, life."
C.S Lewis "Reflections on the Psalms."

I'm sure it's not a co-incidence that the friend-of-a-friend's blog I found this on is Dr Who fan.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it as much as I perhaps hoped to based on how much I enjoyed Moffat's previous scripts.

Of the two main plot threads, the relationship between the Doctor and Amy was by far the strongest. The search for Prisoner Zero was a bit generic, though it had some nice moments along the way. And I didn't feel the two threads really meshed well together - Amy played only an incidental role in helping save the day. She did seem to simply be in the right place at the right time (or wrong place, wrong time, depending how you look at it!)

But Matt Smith and Karen Gillan were promising, and I'll probably get used to the new theme music and titles. The trailer for the rest of the series looks exciting!

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
We were a bit confused about the time: if the Tardis landed in Amelia's garden 12 years ago why did it fly past the Millenium Dome and the Wheel on the way?

Now if only the Tardis could travel in time, that'd explain it [Biased]
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think most of the "new companion" stories are about someone happening to be in the right place at the right time. They don't have much impact on the plot because they have no clue at all about who the Doctor is and what he can do. They then tag along at the end of the episode and start to get more involved from then on, often making Noob mistakes in the first few stories.

If anything there was a connection between the Doctor and young Amelia right from when they first met and he actually came looking for her to take her away with him this time which was a bit different. I don't know if Prisoner Zero had realised this which is why he took her form.

The Tardis does travel through Time erratically only when it is actually travelling through it whereas the new Doctor's plummet to Earth seemed to be in Space only which is why I raised this point. A very minor issue which provoked an interesting discussion with the Roguelings so I am not complaining.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Double post to say that I hope he managed to sort out his library from the invasion of the swimming pool. The thought of all those books ruined makes me cringe inwardly.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The dome was completed and ready to go by the middle of 1999 so, while I don't remember exactly, it doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility that the recognisable external shell may have been in place at some point in 1998.

As for the wheel, this didn't go up until 1999.

In any case, we're talking about a discrepancy of a few months at the most, which is only noticeable to us now in 2010. In future repeats of the series, I doubt the thought would even cross anybody's mind.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I may lower the tone for a moment...

A clerical colleague of mine made some very un-clerical comments about Karen Gillan (let's just say he may now be in trouble for 'coveting'). As for me, I will say only one thing - very nice legs! [Overused] (My wife spotted the fact Amy couldn't really be a police officer because her skirt was too short - I had noticed how short, but brain hadn't really passed that point)

Needless to say, I may have failed the coveting test as well [Help]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
(My wife spotted the fact Amy couldn't really be a police officer because her skirt was too short - I had noticed how short, but brain hadn't really passed that point)

That point was spotted and commented on in our house!

Carys

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I noticed the fishnet tights!!! I assumed she wasn't really a police officer until she "called for back up" at which point I did wonder !
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly. I bought it; calling for back up made it so realistic...

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
If I may lower the tone for a moment...

A clerical colleague of mine made some very un-clerical comments about Karen Gillan (let's just say he may now be in trouble for 'coveting'). As for me, I will say only one thing - very nice legs! [Overused] (My wife spotted the fact Amy couldn't really be a police officer because her skirt was too short - I had noticed how short, but brain hadn't really passed that point)

Needless to say, I may have failed the coveting test as well [Help]

And if she had been in the nun outfit instead?
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

quote:
Except it had Daleks and Cybermen in it. They really need to give them a rest - Daleks for a year or two and Cybermen (along with the Master) for a lot longer than that. Lets have some new enemies for a change.
Well, I'm excited that they're back, and like it or not, Daleks and Cybermen are part of the show - returning characters, as it were. They're iconic and popular, especially with children, so it makes sense to have them turn up regularly.

I don't think the problem has been with the amount the Daleks and Cybermen have been used, so much as the way they've been used. The problem is that they've tended to use them the same way each time - to have millions of them descending on the Earth in the finale only to be defeated by an unlikely reset button.

If they did something different with them each time, as with the single Dalek episode in Christopher Eccleston's series, or with the Daleks in 1930s New York with the Tenth Doctor and Martha, then that would be fine. There's nothing wrong with bringing them back - the writers just need to do something interesting with them.

The upcoming Dalek episode, Victory of the Daleks, already seems intriguing - from the trailer and previews, it seems that Churchill trying to use the Daleks to win World War 2, which is a great concept, full of irony. And the title suggests that this time, the Daleks might actually score a partial win against the Doctor, which would make a nice change.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too figured out she wasn't a real police officer due to the short skirt and obligingly extreme-close-upped stockings. Funny how it seems to be mostly women who spotted this... [Biased]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Can't remember the details because I've only watched it the once, but was there anything to indicate that the "now" as opposed to "12 years ago", was in fact 2010 rather than, say, 2011 or 2012?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't see anything to indicate that 12 years later was now, so it could have been. The opening could have now and the main story 12 years from now, though I suspect technology would have moved on and Patrick Moore would have gone to the big observertory in the sky (at night?). Anyway good first episode. I to took to to Mr Smith almost imediatly. Lets see what happens.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

I don't see why there's such an argument about the dating when the Doctor can time travel!

The Tenth Doctor took off in the TARDIS at New Year's Day 2005 after seeing Rose, but Amy is clearly supposed to come from our present day, rather than 12 years in the future.

We hear the TARDIS materialisation sound when it crashes into her garden shed as a child. By far and away the most sensible explanation is that the crashing TARDIS also travelled back to 1996 or so. It's a time machine, it does that kind of thing. [Smile]

[ 08. April 2010, 13:08: Message edited by: The Revolutionist ]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was great.

'How did you know how it would react?' was the best bit.
If someone'd told me two seasons ago that the best bit in a Doctor Who script would be a heartwarming moment between the Doctor and companion I don't think I'd have believed them.

[ 10. April 2010, 18:09: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way, it's probably too late to check, but during the upcoming series at the end of the first episode, did anyone else think they saw Alex Kingston? There was a stonehenge scene and at least one other I thought.

Just checked her entry on wikipedia. I did, I did, I did see Alex Kingston.

Another thought: the silence is about to escape.

[ 10. April 2010, 18:12: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I saw her. It seems young Matty is the future incarnation of the Doctor that her character originally fell for. You could see it coming surely? I mean, how long were they going to keep her on a retainer until they got round to revealing what they set up in that 'library' story?

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful, really wonderful stuff - I'm understanding what Moffat means about it being a dark fairy tale, and the ending was really heartwarming stuff. This new era feels like a big thematic reboot of the show, which is just one thing that is great about the whole concept behind the show.

I like the new Doctor, and the sense of wonder, eccentricity and kindness comes across very strongly. Amy is a bright (and very cute) companion and I like their friendship, cleverly set as between a child and her imaginery friend grown up.

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminded me very much of an Ursula Le Guin short story - "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" - where the city is happy and prosperous, but that suffering depends on a child locked in a squalid basement being made to suffer. Citizens are told about this on coming of age and have the choice to stay and accept it as it is, and make their lives all the richer and more joyous, or leave. They don't refer to it if they stay, and no visitor to the city would guess it.

So perhaps that was why this didn't work particularly well for me: there seemed to be a lot of echoes of that in it.

Matt Smith seems to be shaping up nicely in the role so far and looking quite plausible. I'm less convinced about Karen Gillan - she seems pretty generic so far.

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

I really enjoyed that - nicely strange and offbeat, reminiscent of The End of the World and Gridlock, but with plenty of echoes of classic Who as well. Cracking stuff.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Shipmate
# 15431

- Posted      Profile for Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought tonight's episode was good, solid Who. That being said, if it is one of better episodes of the series then I will probably be disappointed with the series as a whole. If (as I hope) it is par for the course for the new series, then I will be one happy camper.

I liked the way the mystery developed. Also, the choice each voter was given was a great idea, and well-explored.

One complaint: the solution was a tad too mawkish for my taste, but maybe that's just me.

Overall 6.5/10

--------------------
was phil2357

Posts: 76 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
This reminded me very much of an Ursula Le Guin short story - "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas"

The Ones who Walk away from Omelas has echoes of The Karamazov Brothers in it. (Le Guin says its Henry James, because she doesn't like Dostoyevsky.) Really, if you take away all the Doctor Who scripts which have echoes of other sf, you're not left with a lot of Doctor Who. If you take away all the sf with echoes of other sf, you're not left with a lot of sf. (Including some of the best sf: The Book of the New Sun draws heavily on The Dying Earth books.)

I thought Karen Gillan was pretty good. The companion role is a bit hard to stand out in. (Even at the height of the Russell Davies years, the program was never called Rose Tyler.) She didn't stand out much last week, but she's clearly got the measure of the Doctor by this point. ('So you're just an observer and you don't interfere, unless there are children crying.') That's refreshing after the last few companions treating him as a cross between Prince Charming and God. And she can pick a padlock with a hairclip, which I think is a useful skill in a companion.

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really liked it.
[Smile]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I thought Karen Gillan was pretty good. The companion role is a bit hard to stand out in.

True, although Leela, Sarah Jane, Peri, Adric, Donna and K9 managed to make an impact that has survived the test of time [Biased] which I don't see Amy Pond doing.

It's true that almost all sci-fi writers build on each other's work to some extent and very little is truly original. And it is quite a challenge to write an entire series and keep both a pace going and be original and interesting. I quite enjoy seeing if I can spot possible origins that have sparked off the ideas for a particular episode; I just felt this one was a bit too close a parallel. It may be entirely coincidence, of course.

As for the series as a whole... I don't know. I know the series isn't intended at all for my demographic, but the magic that used to keep me watching just mostly isn't there any more. I probably still will watch it, but I no longer have great expectations of it.

Having said that, sometimes it can have some flashes of brilliance - "The Empty Child" and "Blink" were compelling. It's early days yet; let's see what else they come up with.

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daughter thinks that recurrent themes (the crack in the universe and zero) point to something to do with the void. Not sure about that but zero did come up in last night's episode, so maybe there is something in it.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted to like it more than I did. There were some good things - the Smilers and the Winders (?), Liz10 with lines like "I'm your bloody queen mate!", Matt Smith continues to impress. I liked his "No-one human gets to talk to me" moment.

But its big weakness was that it lacked logic.

So a kid scores 0 in a test and refuses to take the stairs - you're going to feed him to "the beast below"? I mean if this is something Liz10 and her government reluctantly decided to do then surely you'd have to go a long way down the spacewhale-food list before you get to naughty school kids?

I'm also not sure about Amy warning herself to try to get the Doctor to leave. I assumed at the time that this was a message from the future, but it appears that what it was was a message she'd left after having seen the film but before pressing the forget button. Doesn't it rather defeat the object of having a forget button if there's a way of leaving messages?

Also she - correctly as it turns out - guesses that the spacewhale is "kind". But even if she was sure it was kind originally wasn't it a bit of a gamble to assume that after 250years of continuous torture it wouldn't harm them?

Plus how did Amy know what the "abdicate" button did? Maybe it released the whale by allowing the rest of the ship to float off into space? Maybe it killed Liz10 and replaced her with a compliant android?

When the Doctor makes what looks like a huge leap and guesses correctly you assume that's partly because he's fantastically more intelligent than we are and has far more background knowledge to draw on. But when Amy Pond - an ordinary human, even if a smart one - does the same, it looks like dumb luck and a dangerous propensity for risk-taking. Maybe we're meant to think that.

Still apart from that it was quite good - but just not as good as I'd hoped.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
True, although Leela, Sarah Jane, Peri, Adric, Donna and K9 managed to make an impact that has survived the test of time [Biased] which I don't see Amy Pond doing.

Specifically, Adric made the impact that killed the dinosaurs, arf.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The assistant does not leave the TARDIS until the Doctor beckons her out... What is happening to Who scripts? The doctor is supposed to tell the assistant to wait in the TARDIS, and the assistant then leaves anyway.

I haven't got used to the new look of the TARDIS yet, it still looks like an explosion in a junk shop.

Every series of Who needs an episode where the alien(s) is/are good and it is the humans which are the problem, and here it was, delivered in episode two, and now with episodes to introduce the Doctor (last week) and the assistant (this week) we can now start to find out what the new series is going to be like. I'm anticipating good things.

Every female assistant needs to be a mixture of screaming airhead and resourceful strong character, and Amy Pond has an intriguing mix of those qualities. In Episode 1 I liked Karen Gillan for the legs. In episode 2 for the acting (Liz X was hot though. Am I showing my age?)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does the whale eat now, now they are not feeding it people?

[*eat*, not *it*]

[ 11. April 2010, 17:12: Message edited by: Stoo ]

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Originally posted by Stoo:

[*eat*, not *it*]

Well, I assume in the wild they didn't eat people.

Carys

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One word: Brilliant!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

If it isn't eating spacekrill or spaceplankton, it's probably Soylent Green...

Coming soon to a cinema near you - "The People-Eating Whale From Outer Space"

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good episode.

Enjoying the series. The whole greek/my(psi)thic theme is strong with the link to pandoras(icas) box. This week we had a world on a turtle!

Agree lots of things didn't 'add up'. To be honest being a hard sci-fi buff I tend to suspend disbelief for Dr. Who.

'0' returns, not in sending a message but speaking of the evil of child sacrifice. Humanity seems unaware of what is dangerous and what is helpful, what is right or wrong. Perhaps to be explored further next week? Maybe this will be a theme in the series?

And yes the crack. Only saw it once this week, rather than the wall, and a couple of times in the tardis last week. Any more spottings?

No Psi spottings this week?

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone see Dr Who Confidential?

Steven Moffat was talking about casting Karen Millan in the role and said "And I thought, well she's really good. It's just a shame she's so wee and dumpy."

Then said "When she was about to come through to the auditions I nipped out for a minute and I saw Karen walking on the corridor towards me and I realised she was 5'11, slim and gorgeous and I thought 'Oh, oh that'll probably work.'"

I'm sorry but I fail to understand what looks have to do with casting the role of either the Doctor or his assistant [Mad]

It's put me right off the new series - though I'll still watch it as it IS Dr Who

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
... I suspect technology would have moved on and Patrick Moore would have gone to the big observertory in the sky (at night?)

If the Doctor can talk to Winston Churchill on the phone 1200 years after he died, he can talk to Patrick Moore.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quinine
Shipmate
# 1668

- Posted      Profile for Quinine   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, the stuff the Dr and Amy landed in seemed rather like pig-swill. It can't have lived on people alone. As the population seemed generally so compliant, I doubt there were enough dissidents on the ship to keep a whale alive. So if it can't find any space-crill (now its mouth is fully operational again) maybe it has to have beans on toast like the rest of Starship UK.

I don't know whether this still applies really but anyway,

Spoilers?

I loved that episode, but then how can you not like a story with a whale in space? A kind, lonely, persecuted whale? Blub.

As for Amy's decision, yes it was somewhat risky, but I think it was far more appropriate that it was a human who ended up taking the decision (which could have killed Amy herself as well, assuming she and the Dr couldn't have escaped, so she would have sacrificed herself to save the whale as well as the rest of the ship) rather than the Dr fixing things while the humans all sit shamefacedly around. She was entitled to vote, after all, so I don't query her right to do what she did, risky or not. Protest as part of the democratic process?

Posts: 252 | From: In a fen | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was anyone else reminded by the Star Whale, of the giant creature that was being kept for meat in an early Torchwood episode?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought it got everybody's kitchen waste . Wasn't that what Amy & The Doctor were wading about in after they went down the tube? Whatever happened to adult humans who didn't conform, they didn't seem to be in the mix. Or not that I noticed.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edward Green:
The whole greek/my(psi)thic theme is strong with the link to pandoras(icas) box. This week we had a world on a turtle!

But sadly no elephants on the turtle.

And wait till they find out that the space whale is really a ballistic missile that has been converted by the infinite improbability drive.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
quote:
I thought Karen Gillan was pretty good. The companion role is a bit hard to stand out in.

Given your list of companions, I'm not sure that 'standing out' is necessarily a good thing. Leela has the unfair advantage of being a savage in a leotard. I'm too young to remember Sarah Jane the first time round. Donna was good, though fourth season as a whole was iffy.

Ace was the best assistant obviously.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Was anyone else reminded by the Star Whale, of the giant creature that was being kept for meat in an early Torchwood episode?

'Fraid I was reminded of the Star Trek TNG pilot, 'Encounter at Farpoint', where there's also a creature trapped and being used for all sorts of tricks:

quote:
[...] Not only have the Bandi been holding the being against its will, but they have used its energy source, which converts energy into matter, to create the Farpoint station and its magical qualities. [...] (From: here)
Of course there are some differences to this Dr Who episode, but the 'spaceship aka giant alien creature' theme is a recurrent theme in Star Trek TNG.

Still, an interesting ep not without humour, but probably not the best ever. The 'Dalek's Army' next time round sounds and looked in the preview much more compelling.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016