homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: The Eleventh Incarnation
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just caught up with the episode on iplayer (timewise it clashes horribly with sorting Malinette out for bed).

I loved seeing the angels again - and was pleased that I had wondered about the stone statues from the first glimpse and whether they could be co-opted or something by the known angel.

I'm enjoying Matt Smith more than I thought I would as the Doctor. As someone else said, I find it nice that Amy isn't moping around about family. We don't know who she is due to marry do we? Maybe she already had doubts and is glad to be out of the situation. Rose had a really close relationship with her mum and boyfriend, Donna wa really close to Gramps - I got the feeling Amy was a bit of a loner by circumstance? Family dead, inherited that house etc?

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The more i see of the insde of the tardis the more i like it.

I agree with some others on here i definetly found the weepng angels less scary this time round. It felt like it couldn't happen to me, unlike in blink, which i have to say freaked me out slightly. That said i hadn't got the, they could come out the t.v at me think. Maybe i'll find the second half more scary.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right. Getting back on board after having been poorly since Easter. First things first: the Dr Who thread.

I quite liked The Beast Below. In places it lacked a bit of oomph, but there were some lovely ideas in there. The Doctor's anger at what he thought he'd have to do was brilliant. And a bit scary. And I liked Amy's saving of the situation.

Victory of the Daleks - bad, I thought. Actually, very bad. Poorly structured script that spent too long on some things and not enought time on others. For example, what was the point of the woman whose boyfriend ended up getting killed? It was an embarrassingly token gesture towards the "tragedy of war". Very badly handled. And I don't like the new Daleks. They look like they're made out of Lego.

Time of Angels - absolutely superb. Moffat at his outright best, shedding a lot of new light (or rather darkness) on one of his best creations. The Angels have gone from being slightly sympathetic creatures who "kill you nicely" to something very sinister and decidedly scary. I'm very much looking forward to the conclusion of the story.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I very much enjoyed Time of Angels. I thought that the Angels were more scary - that scene with Amy and the TV screen was superb. Also you've got to love River Song - both her as a character (the opening scenes are fantastic) and her dynamic with the Doctor.

I also went back and watched Blink again - which was great, and Sally Sparrow is great - but I genuinely think this is a better episode.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
The Angels have gone from being slightly sympathetic creatures who "kill you nicely" to something very sinister and decidedly scary.

I'd expected with teeth like that they'd really go for someone and suck the life out of him, not just break his neck, which seemed a very ordinary and un-supernatural method of dispatch (OK, anti-climactic is the word I'm looking for).
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
Also you've got to love River Song - both her as a character (the opening scenes are fantastic)

Don't you just love those red killer heels! I wonder if the red shoes are significant in any way. Wizard of Oz ...?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stupidly it just occured to me that the angels broke Bob's neck. I thought that when they touched someone they sent them back in time? Isn't that what they fed on? The residual energy of the life unlived? Did I miss something?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Stupidly it just occured to me that the angels broke Bob's neck. I thought that when they touched someone they sent them back in time? Isn't that what they fed on? The residual energy of the life unlived? Did I miss something?

The Doctor comments that they're behaving unusually. The angels killed the soldiers, rather than zapping them into the past, in order to use their vocal cords and a reanimated version of their consciousnesses to talk to the humans. At the moment, they're feeding on all the energies from the crashed Byzantium.
Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as an aside, the museum the Doctor stole the 'black box' from was Brecon Cathedral!

And there's a spoilerish photo in the Sun today of Amy, Rory the nurse and the Doctor, in a children's playground, and Amy is very pregnant!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Quinine
Shipmate
# 1668

- Posted      Profile for Quinine   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Just as an aside, the museum the Doctor stole the 'black box' from was Brecon Cathedral!

Thank you Eigon, the Pevsner in me was wondering.
Posts: 252 | From: In a fen | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
The simple answer, if anything can be called such in the context of time travel, would be that the Doctor jumped down the wrong trouser leg of time while he was getting used to the new Tardis, and ended up in a timeline where this didn't happen for some reason

You are Terry Pratchett and I claim my five pounds ('Jingo' and Commander Vimes' pocket organiser)

Amy's role so far is an odd one. She's not been put in danger and needed to be rescued since the first episode - surely the key role for a companion - and has twice saved the day when the Doctor's plans failed - Liz's abdication and Bracewell's lost love. She's a sleeper, someone there for another purpose and with knowledge she's keeping hidden. Interesting to see her with River Song but so far it's all been a bit chatty, nothing of significance (I think).

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoilers

Well a bit more idea about Amy, her memory and as for the relationship stuff...

And when does River Song kill the doctor - and how will he rewrite time to get out of that, sounds like a series finale to me...

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
Spoilers

Well a bit more idea about Amy, her memory and as for the relationship stuff...

And when does River Song kill the doctor - and how will he rewrite time to get out of that, sounds like a series finale to me...

When the Pandorica opens ...

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the episode fizzled out a bit today. The day was won (either by the Doctor or the Angels - I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched yet) but then there were some scenes which turned it into an anti-climax. And I didn't like how Amy reacted at the end. And what the Doctor said about Amy had already been said about Donna.

However before all that it was a very good story, well acted and Youngest Rogueling was scared again.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know about the kids but it bloody terrified me.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really comfortable with the way Amy jumped on the Doctor at the end - still a kids' programme after all, and dragging him into bed felt a bit out of place. Liked the solution to the Angel problem, but why is Amy the centre of the universe again?

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was an OK story, not outstanding but OK until Amy took it into a complete nosedive. That was too far. And on the eve of her wedding. Cracking good luck to the future husband.

I suppose we're stuck with her for a while to come.

Giac
Apprentice
# 15580

- Posted      Profile for Giac   Email Giac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So yet another person who's fallen madly in love with the Doctor. The only one who hasn't so far is Donna and I don't want to credit her with that because I really hated her.
Also didn't like suductive Amy.

The episode was ok, but it went down hill with the main baddies getting eclipsed by the big event. Also, shouldn't there still be loads of angels down there? Only about twenty got sucked up.

--------------------
The views and opinions of a teenager.

Posts: 20 | From: Earth. I think. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, well, that was interesting...

SPOILERS

The scenes with them trying to escape the angels were good, and the set-up of their eventual defeat with the gravity being switched off was quite nice. But it did feel that they were defeated more by the crack in time turning up rather than the Doctor doing anything particularly clever... it felt a bit too convenient.

But as for Amy propositioning the Doctor for casual sex on her wedding night.... whaaaat?!?! [Eek!] I'm glad that the Doctor responded to this as a Very Bad Thing, and it's obviously part of the ongoing story and development of Amy's character. But... really? Seriously? [Paranoid]

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed the episode.

SPOILERS

Still, irritations:
agree that I prefer the Amy of a couple of episodes ago. (I assume that she really is unsure about commit to her wedding.)
I don't believe that the angels don't know whether or not you can see them.
The angels were badly directed again. They didn't have their hands over their eyes often enough. And they shouldn't have moved on camera. That was Just Wrong.

Speculations:
Is it obvious that the man River killed was the Doctor, or is too obvious? And is the current incarnation of the Doctor arrogant enough to think she means him? (The Doctor of course knows what River doesn't know he knows, which is that River is going to die for him.)
Does the fact that the rift is centred on Amy have anything to do with Amy not having parents and being abandoned with her aunt? (My wild mass guess was that Amy was River and the Doctor's daughter but after this episode that would just be too squicky.)

[ 02. May 2010, 00:45: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hoping that Amy's thing at the end was a character aberration brought on by whatever is running through the whole series rather something that she actually wanted although I remember from the first episode that she had all sorts of fantasies about her "raggedy man" (?) so who knows what her mind may have been playing at?

I am interested to see what back story for Amy crops up because I want to know why the crack centres on her. But I hope we don't spend too much time with the people she knows. And what happened to her aunt?

[ 02. May 2010, 07:27: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Increasingly bored with this series I'm afraid. The angles were great the first time they appeared; this time they were dull. Far too many of them, and now you keep your eyes shut, not open, to escape them, so everything is back to front. And how convenient to have one on demand to explain everything they are doing. Did the Doctor work out anything in this episode?

I was also underwhelmed by River Song and Amy. Both fall into the "annoying women who fall in love with the Doctor" category. Bring back Martha Jones, who kept her feelings hidden as much as she could! (Rose was soppy and Donna irritating.) Could we please have companions who are a) company for the Doctor - why not another bloke? and b) interesting because of their personality rather than because the they have unexpected superpowers? (That was why Martha was brilliant - when she saved the world it was all down to her grit and determination.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
we didn't watch last night's episode because my ten year old was so frightened by 'Blink' (he was at a party last week) so can anyone advise if they're less scary now the rules have changed? I didn't think much of last week's episode but I was watching with a critical parental eye which might have warped things...

I don't know if watching it on i-player in daylight with lunch or something will be more effective at banishing residual nightmares than avoiding it altogether?

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
we didn't watch last night's episode because my ten year old was so frightened by 'Blink' (he was at a party last week) so can anyone advise if they're less scary now the rules have changed?

Probably not. There's the bit where Amy is left alone in the forest with her eyes shut, and has to make her way back through a horde of angels with the lights going on and off, and the bit where they chase the Doctor and his party through tunnels which keep going dark. Also the end where Amy grabs the Doctor and tries to get explicit may not be something you want a 10 year old to see.

It's vampires in Renaissance Italy next week, so another set of swift-moving fanged monsters coming up.

I agree what the Doctor needs is a male companion. I've sometimes thought there could be mileage in his having a really geeky one who's completely inept with girls, and lacking in social skills, but a genius for anything electronic. But really any kind of male companion would be good and a welcome change after a seemingly endless series of lovelorn females. Wilf was brilliant and so was Captain Jack.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPOILERS

So it's All About Amy, just like it was All About Donna and All About Rose. And, looking at the trailer for next week, is Rory (is it?) the New Mickey?

I too hope that the bit at the end was something to do with timey-wimey stuff and not yet another companion falling for the Doctor (yawn). I agree with Ariel et al that we need a male companion.

I do like the relationship and mystery between the Doctor and River, though. And I agree, it does seem just a bit too obvious that it is the Doctor that River kills/killed in some timeline or other.

M.

Edited to Add - the bit in the forest with Amy having to keep her eyes shut and all the people with her disappearing was really scary, though.

[ 02. May 2010, 10:01: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't dissagree with much of what has already been said. If she were to have a night in bed before with The Doctor the night before her wedding she could then not get married. She would also be able to get out the village with The Doctor and travel in space and time for a bit. I don't think she is really in love with The Doctor. I do think it being 'all about Amy' is much more irritating than her hitting on The Doc.

I liked Donna. She was not that irritating, no more than any of the others and she had infinatly more empathy with those around her.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amy was a kissogram, so I think she was just after a bit of snogging really. I don't think she fancies him specifically, but just misses the male action.

The angels being pre-occupied I didn't get at all. They are very fast, so they could have taken Amy with hardly a blink ( ha - did you see what I did there????? ). And they turned to stone when no living creature was looking at them, not just when they believed no-one was looking at them. It is not a choice to become stone, it is what they are. It goes back to the whole problem of them being statuesque when no people are looking at them - sure there are some other insects and wildlife looking at them always?

So I was unconvinced by aspects of this. And River suddenly whisking Amy out of the angels clutches at the last minute was also not practical. And why could the doctor not have broken the statues arm who had the Bishop? They are stone, and stone breaks, doesn't it? It weathers, clearly.

the all about Amy is far too reminiscent of Donna with a spider on her back. So I hope Stephen Moffat does something very substantially different with this.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoilers...

Did anyone notice that there were two Doctors in the forest of the treeborgs? A big point was made of the Doctor losing his jacket to the
weeping angels and then spending the rest of the episode without it.

However ... there's a bit when the jacket-less Doctor has decided to leave Amy in the care of the clerics in the forest, tells her to keep her eyes shut and then leaves with River and Octavian to go to the ship's flight deck. Then we see the Doctor wearing his jacket take Amy's hands and tell her to trust him, then leaves again.

Did anyone else notice that?

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:
Did anyone notice that there were two Doctors in the forest of the treeborgs?

I didn't at the time, but someone pointed it out on the Guardian comments page. Am going to rewatch on iplayer.

I don't think I do mind it being all about Amy. At least, if it turns out that the first episode was actually doing a lot of setting up that we didn't recognise.
It looks as if Amy's present is the 25th June 2010, (which by some remarkable coincidence is the day before the season final). There was some speculation about the timeline in episode one: whether the Doctor had jumped back fourteen years between regenerating and crashing in Amy's garden. I now wonder whether it was really just the Doctor's poor navigation that meant he thought he'd only been gone five minutes when years had passed for Amy (twice).

(As an aside, if episode one really happened two years ago, it would have happened at the start of season four, which means that the Atraxi should have destroyed Earth in Turn Left. But we've already made it clear that Amy's timeline doesn't have giant cybermen or dalek invasions.)

[ 02. May 2010, 15:42: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

Speculations:
My wild mass guess was that Amy was River and the Doctor's daughter but after this episode that would just be too squicky.

That's not beyond possibility. There were 2 kisses. The first was a chaste, almost parental kiss. The second was just wrong. The doctor thought it was just wrong and pulled away. The kisses could be part of setting up a revelation to come.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Off Centre View wrote:
quote:
Did anyone notice that there were two Doctors in the forest of the treeborgs? A big point was made of the Doctor losing his jacket to the
weeping angels and then spending the rest of the episode without it.

However ... there's a bit when the jacket-less Doctor has decided to leave Amy in the care of the clerics in the forest, tells her to keep her eyes shut and then leaves with River and Octavian to go to the ship's flight deck. Then we see the Doctor wearing his jacket take Amy's hands and tell her to trust him, then leaves again.

Or was it a continuity error?
J

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pious Pelican
Shipmate
# 13120

- Posted      Profile for Pious Pelican     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it was a continuity error. I think it was timey wimey stuff, possibly an appearance of the Doctor from the finale.

The other thing I noticed was that Amy's house may not be all it seems. In the closing scene, there's an exterior shot of the house which shows clearly that the only light on is in Amy's bedroom. However, in the scene inside the bedroom, there's clearly a light coming from the hallway. I suppose that could be continuity again, but there has been previous speculation about peculiar properties of the house.

--------------------
O Lord, thou hast searched me out and known me: thou knowest my down-sitting and mine up-rising, thou understandest my thoughts long before.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That actually scared me for a moment. Then the action continued, and I thought it was me not following the story carefully enough.
As nothing came of it, and that story concluded, I assumed that it was a continuity error - but you never know what 'unimportant' 'minor' detail will pop up in a later episode to poke you in the eye.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

That actually scared me for a moment. Then the action continued, and I thought it was me not following the story carefully enough.
As nothing came of it, and that story concluded, I assumed that it was a continuity error - but you never know what 'unimportant' 'minor' detail will pop up in a later episode to poke you in the eye.

I think it was far too well set up to be a continuity error, but shot in a way that you don't notice it immediately. I rewatched it on iplayer and found that he also had his sleeves rolled up, so it could not have been just a slip-up.

Is this something to do with the Doctor realising that he can rewrite time?

Since the Daleks have now been restored to their pre-Time War selves, could the same be done for the Time Lords? Is the Moff trying to undo everything from RTD's era - hence the mentioning of people not remembering stuff like the Daleks and the Cyberking?

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be a serious mistake. Some years ago now there was a hideous relaunch of the Legion of Superheroes (Chast will know what I mean even if no one else does), where time got changed and changed again in the first few episodes. As a result the reader never knew what had happened and what hadn't, and everything disintegrated in a confusing mess. The best series writing deals with what has happened in the past, even the bits you think are mistakes, and does something creative with it. (As when Claremont took over Spiderwoman. Again, Chast will know what I mean.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't notice that the two doctors were not the same, but I did think that the "you do trust me" doctor seemed to be wrong - he had already gone. Now that it is mentioned, I suspect that it is the Doctor from later.

One thing that struck me - The Doctor can get the Tardis back to the night before they left, within 5 minutes. So he can control it very accurately. Which means that the huge time gaps in the first episode were not just accidental.

My guess - the crack in the universe took away large chunks of Amys timeline, so the Doctor did return after 5 minutes or whatever, but Amy remembered it as far longer - the intervening years ere eaten by the crack in the wall.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In response to my previous post Pious Pelican wrote:

quote:
I don't think it was a continuity error. I think it was timey wimey stuff, possibly an appearance of the Doctor from the finale.

The other thing I noticed was that Amy's house may not be all it seems. In the closing scene, there's an exterior shot of the house which shows clearly that the only light on is in Amy's bedroom. However, in the scene inside the bedroom, there's clearly a light coming from the hallway. I suppose that could be continuity again, but there has been previous speculation about peculiar properties of the house.

It will be very interesting finding out. I hope it isn't a continuity issue. Reading people's ideas here makes me think maybe not; Cracks in time must be pretty major and Moffat (Dr Who Conf) seems pretty taken up with the idea.

J

[ 03. May 2010, 10:10: Message edited by: dorothea ]

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr M. and I rewatched the 2 episodes over the long weekend (bank holiday here in Blighty) and a few things struck me:

SPOILERS SPOILERS

Firstly, I was a bit low key about it when I first saw it but it was a cracking story, tense and scary.

There is definitely something about the jacket as pointed out by Off Centre View. I didn't notice the jacket the first time round but I had thought it was an awkward scene - the Doctor, River & the Bish. had all left to get to main flight deck in a hurry, time was running out and then the Doctor comes back. Seemed odd. The Doctor coming from a different time makes more sense.

The emphasis on Amy remembering. I know the Doctor said that Amy remembered when the soldiers didn't was because she was a time traveller but that seemed a bit lame.

The emphasis on trust - the Bishop asks River if he can trust the Doctor, the Doctor tells Amy to trust him several times and then the Doctor asks River if he can trust her.

The fact that River has travelled in time.

And just what is it about the ducks?

I'm becoming more and more enamoured of this series.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

Ducks? I don't remember ducks?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I have just read elsewhere:
SPOILER
In a later episode The Doctor learns how to land the Tardis silently and revisits the earlier episodes, in this one, for example, to tell Amy to trust him.
I'm now going to have to watch the earlier episodes again to look out for other anomalies. (I have been given a couple of clues as to what to look for)

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liked it a lot, save for the last five minutes which were just WRONG!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

Ducks? I don't remember ducks?
That is what it is about the ducks.
The Doctor is bothered - in both this episode and in episode one - that Amy's village duckpond did not have any ducks in it.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last five minutes prompted a lot of eye-rolling from me. But ... thank goodness, the Doctor appeared absolutely horrified.

I don't think this means there will be Twue Wuv between Amy and the Doctor (please no...) I think she's desperate to avoid getting married, and throwing herself at him was part of that desperation. She said herself that she wasn't thinking long-term.

Oh, for the good old days, when platonic relationships were the norm in the Tardis. Let's face it, the Doctor spent plenty of time with Leela, who would be temptation enough for many!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodness me, that Amy's a minx!

But I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday's episode, which certainly kept up the momentum and quality of Time of Angels. The resolution was nicely set up within the opening scene, the dialogue was great and there was some really good acting from Smith, Gillan, Kingston and Glen.

As a set-up for the rest of the series ... well, theories abound but for me it'll just be fun watching it all work out. I think Moffat is quite deliberately appealing to the "intelligent viewer": some of the concepts he's using, and his setting-up of possible story arcs, really mean you have to watch, listen and think.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wayfaring Stranger
Apprentice
# 15081

- Posted      Profile for Wayfaring Stranger   Email Wayfaring Stranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surprised no-one's mentioned this, but ...

Having rather resigned myself to the idea that Father Octavian would turn out to be serving some evil Magisterium which had sent him to this planet to seize the Angel as a weapon to abuse children with ... [Eek!] ... I was rather pleasantly surprised by the entirely noble and self-sacrificing fate he was given, and his blessing to the Doctor, which was played entirely straight.

Posts: 11 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

- Posted      Profile for The Exegesis Fairy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was quite pleased by that myself, Wayfaring Stranger.

It was quite a sweet moment, really.

--------------------
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Posts: 500 | From: the clear blue sky | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
As a result the reader never knew what had happened and what hadn't, and everything disintegrated in a confusing mess.

That began to happen as early as the Hartnell era of Doctor Who. The Daleks who invaded Earth were no t at all the same as the ones who had been on Skaro inthe second story. By the last series Troughton was in (forty years ago!) all regular continuity was blown out of the window.

We're dealing with a species of shape-shifting aliens who pretend to be human, change their appearance regularly, repeatedly lie to us (and to each other and top everybody else) about their origins, purpose,and powers; have often used time travel to deliberately change their own past as well as that of their enemies; have been involved in more than one galactic-scale war against other time travelers who also change their past; and have (to our certain knowledge) spawned at LEAST six renegade individuals or factions who used time travel to meddle in the affairs of other species in this universe and in other alternates.

So no, there are no continuity errors. There can't be because there is no continuity...

Always remember: Cybermen and Daleks are human - Gallifreyans aren't!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Always remember: Cybermen and Daleks are human - Gallifreyans aren't!

My theory is that they are, or descendants of Time Travelling Humans who reboot themselves into the early history of the Universe, spawning all the pre-human, humanoid species.

Which is why the Universes Timelines are so shot!

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

quote:
Originally posted by Wayfaring Stranger:
Surprised no-one's mentioned this, but ...

Having rather resigned myself to the idea that Father Octavian would turn out to be serving some evil Magisterium which had sent him to this planet to seize the Angel as a weapon to abuse children with ... [Eek!] ... I was rather pleasantly surprised by the entirely noble and self-sacrificing fate he was given, and his blessing to the Doctor, which was played entirely straight.

I completely agree - and there were some hints in the first part about Octavian keeping secrets from the Doctor about River that made him seem very sinister. Then in the second half nearly everything was (half) explained and he came across as completely honourable, even talking about God in a way without coming across like a religious nutter in the process!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

So no, there are no continuity errors. There can't be because there is no continuity...

Story of my life.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016