homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the past few days I've done a courgette bake - layers of sliced courgettes interleaved with layers of tomato, onion & garlic sauce (add spices or herbs as you please) and grated tangy cheese, add salt and pepper to taste, bake until done.

I've also split courgettes lengthways and baked them with a spiced minced lamb topping and home-made tomato sauce over them.

Home-grown ones are less likely to have the tough, bitter skins and more likely to have flavour. They can be eaten raw, or cut into julienne strips and panfried in a little oil/soy sauce to serve as an accompaniment to fish. I tend to panfry a salmon fillet in the pan at the same time so that the courgette strips pick up some of the flavour. For extra savouriness try this with teriyaki salmon.

I'm currently considering stuffing the largest courgette (almost marrow size) with a mixture of fresh chopped herbs - mint and flat-leaf parsley - seasoning, pine nuts, a dash of lemon juice and breadcrumbs before baking it. The pulp can be used to thicken stews, soups etc. Alternatively I might just split it in half and have half with/in an omelette and the other half in a salad.

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

Another question: my grandmother (pbuh), under instruction from her Scots mother-in-law, used to make the most delicious finnan haddie. I last had it in my early teens. All I remember is Grammie's advice: when buying smoked haddock to make this dish, make sure it's more pale yellow than orange.

Can anyone offer up a recipe? I haven't been able to google one. Perhaps I'm spelling it wrong?

There's this.

Or these.

The thing about yellow rather than orange is natural smoked fish (which is a pale colour) rather than fish which has artificial flavour/colour added.

Ah, Firenze, THANK YOU! Grammie's recipe is the first one, delicious as is, but I am definitely going to try the one with leeks and spices!

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

I have a cupboard full of courgette pickles and chutney.
And still they come!

So next year -- don't plant any.
John
[/QUOTE]
I like courgettes. We have some favourite main course recipes where it is a major ingredient; it makes a couple of good pickles; bulks up several tasty chutney recipes, and makes a nice moist cake - chocolate or lemon, and in a lime and ginger one you can pretend that the green bits are all lime zest [Biased] . It is possible to make mock 'apple' pie with it - but the quantity of sugar and lemon juice involved seems a tad wasteful

Last year my courgettes hardly set any fruit, so I was glad of the stock of pickle from the year before - and put in extra plants this year. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Firenze, THANK YOU! Grammie's recipe is the first one, delicious as is, but I am definitely going to try the one with leeks and spices!

Glad to be of assistance. My favourite thing with smoked haddie is kedgeree - simply rice, onions, hard-boiled eggs, the fish and waaay too much butter.

You might want to look into Cullen Skink as well.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For a light supper this evening (it was a very warm day) my Beloved made me a dish inspired by one I had in a restaurant in Juniper Green a few years ago.

Layer alternate slices of avocado, tomato and a creamy cheese (the original was Mozzarella, but this one was something else - maybe Fontina?) and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and freshly ground peppercorns.

Dead simple, but served with French bread and a glass of Pinot Grigio, it was heaven on a plate, and looked really pretty into the bargain.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been eating my way through the real tomatoes. Sliced and stacked with mozzarella and strips of basil, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar or Vinaigre de Banyuls and a sprinkle of fresh black pepper.

I'll have to try adding the avocado.

And then there's panzella salad and gazpacho..
It's a short season here for non hothouse tomatoes but appreciated.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Avocadoes also turn a BLT sandwich into a thing of beauty (and a BLAT [Big Grin] ).

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love avocado with most things, or even on its own. In this recipe they are hidden, which in a way is a shame, but it's an amazing vegan wheat-free dessert.

I've got a coeliac friend coming to lunch, and I wondered about making cornbread muffins, but haven't yet found a recipe tat hasn't got wheat flour or rice flour (which I am highly allergic to). Any suggestions? Maybe an alternative is potato cakes with corn flour?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can use a whole selection of flours - gram (chick pea), the rice and corn you've mentioned and potato flour. My daughter has got into mixing her own flour mixes to create the right tastes and textures for cakes and breads - she started from the list on the Gluten Free Girl site and plays around with the things she can eat.

And Yangtze introduced us to that site.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting website, although I'd like to avoid buying lots of different bags of ingredients that will then be left on the shelf until next year.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had several garlic bulbs this year come out as a single huge round clove. Anyone any idea if these are still edible... and how many we might feed with one if they are? I think even the famous fifty clove chicken might pall in comparison to one of these brutes!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I use buckwheat flour anyway - for blinis, it's got quite a strong flavour.

Of those flours millet flour would probably give you a reasonable result, mixed 40:60 with potato and/or cornflour - and millet cookies are edible.

By the way gluten free cornbread

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like courgettes sliced lengthways and used instead of pasta in lasagne, and instead of aubergine in moussaka. Also, courgette soup is nice and I like courgette batons in my fajitas. Oh and courgette and feta fritters! There are lots of things you can put courgettes in that freeze well.

My dad always sauteed sliced courgettes with tarragon which was lovely.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Avocadoes also turn a BLT sandwich into a thing of beauty ...

Actually, forget the lettuce.

Bacon + avocado + tomato + toasted bread = well-fed piglet. [Smile]

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
I've had several garlic bulbs this year come out as a single huge round clove. Anyone any idea if these are still edible... and how many we might feed with one if they are? I think even the famous fifty clove chicken might pall in comparison to one of these brutes!

AG

Try slow roasting them, perhaps halved, and served with roasted chicken, preferably with lots of herbs? Even if they are a bit tough that should bring out the sweetness.

Let us know if it works!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two recipes that I tried today and which are very more-ish.

Griddled prawns in garlic with wild rice. This is quick and easy and can be adapted to suit local circumstances. I improvised with basmati rice, my own version of stock with tomato puree, and coriander leaves, because I mislaid the recipe for the first 10 minutes of cooking until I thought to look it up on the internet. The end result was very tasty, though.

Honey-roast beetroot. This is a really delicious way to cook beetroot.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

In response to a conversation in AS:

Piglet's Veggie Soup

A little butter and oil (or some of the fat from the top of home-made chicken stock)
1 large onion
3-4 large carrots
3 medium or 2 large potatoes
Salt, pepper and a generous pinch of dried herbs (I usually use parsley, thyme or Herbes de Provence, but use whatever herbs you like)
About 1½-2 pints of hot chicken stock (real or from a cube)
A couple of handfuls of dried mixed soup pulses

Heat the oil and butter (or the fat from the stock) over a medium-low heat in a heavy casserole.

Meanwhile, peel and chop the onion, carrots and potatoes in about ¼-inch chunks, adding them to the casserole as you go, along with salt, pepper and herbs. If you like, you could also add chopped turnip, swede or parsnip, but be sparing with them - they can be a bit sweet and overpowering.

Give everything a good stir, cover tightly and allow to sweat over a low heat for about 10-15 minutes.

Add the hot stock and the soup pulses, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently, partially covered, for about 2 hours or until the veggies and pulses are cooked through.

Adjust the seasoning and serve with fresh bread; it's usually better if made a day in advance. If it's too thick when you re-heat it, just water it down a bit.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those still coping with a courgette/zucchini glut here are some suggestions.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
For a light supper this evening (it was a very warm day) my Beloved made me a dish inspired by one I had in a restaurant in Juniper Green a few years ago.

Layer alternate slices of avocado, tomato and a creamy cheese (the original was Mozzarella, but this one was something else - maybe Fontina?) and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and freshly ground peppercorns.

Dead simple, but served with French bread and a glass of Pinot Grigio, it was heaven on a plate, and looked really pretty into the bargain.

I tried this with fresh mozzarella and it was delicious. Thank you for the suggestion. When I told the tomato seller at the farmers market what I was going t do she decided to try it too.

[ 25. August 2013, 01:39: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
For those still coping with a courgette/zucchini glut here are some suggestions.

I've just made the courgette fries with dukkah, very easy and very tasty dipped in some hummus. Might need to buy some more courgettes for the spoonbread recipe.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are moving down here into a too early, too warm spring. However, I'm still having soup for lunches. Here's this week's effort for those thinking about autumn food.

I browned an onion, added a large chopped parsnip and quite a lot of sliced mushrooms. Oh, and a tired carrot from the last delivery of vegetables.

Cooked it all for a while in some good stock and then pureed it with a stick blender. A thin slice of homemade rye bread, made yesterday, with cherry tomatoes on top and it all made a good lunch with a decent serve of vegetables to count for the day. And a banana.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I presented my new daughter-in-law with a few courgettes on Monday, and have emailed her that link. She's going to try the carpaccio.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone have a favourite fruit cake recipe they'd like to share?

I usually only make fruit cake at Christmas, and I loooove Christmas cake, but I'd like to make a lighter one, which I wouldn't ice.

I've got a few recipes but haven't tried any of them, so I wondered if any shipmates have their own favrourites?

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fruitcake I make (almost) every year. It was my mother's recipe, which she got from an older relative, so it's been in the family at least a century. The below recipe is as she made it, but this results in a VERY LARGE amount of batter. I usually halve everything, and still it's a lot. It is not overly sweet and keeps well.
•2 cups brown sugar
•1 cup shortening – butter or lard (or mixture)
•4 tsp soda
•3 cups buttermilk
•8 cups plain flour
•2 lbs raisins
•2 lbs citron (I use candied cherries & orange peel)
•2 cups figs, coarsely chopped
•2 cups dates, coarsely chopped
•2 cups whole berry jam (blackberry or strawberry or a mixture)
•4 tsp cinnamon (I use less)
•2 tsp allspice
•2 tsp nutmeg (I use more)
•2 tsp salt
•2 cups pecans, coarsely broken
•1 cup California walnuts, coarsely broken
•1 cup almonds, chopped
•1 cup molasses (country variety, if you can find it)
•Cream sugar and shortening.
•Add soda to buttermilk and stir to dissolve.
•Sift half the flour into a bowl to dredge the fruit.
•Add other dry ingredients to remaining flour and sift.
•Combine sifted flour mixture and buttermilk alternately with the creamed butter and sugar.
•Add molasses and nuts to the mixture, continuing to stir.
•Add jam.
•Add dredged fruit-flour mixture, stirring gently. (At this point my mixer usually runs over!
•Spoon into greased pans and bake at 275 oven, beginning to test for doneness after 2 hours.
•Remove from oven and let stand in pans on racks for 10-15 minutes.
•Turn out and let cool thoroughly.
•Cover with cloth soaked in brandy or bourbon & wrap tightly.
•Age for at least a few days – two weeks is better.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At our pastor's retirement party potluck we had a fresh fruit "salad" (a term used creatively in the Upper Midwest) bathed in some sort of creamy goodness...we asked around for the recipe and were told this:

1 small tub of no-fat frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 pkg. (3 oz.) lowfat cream cheese (I think ricotta buzzed in a blender or other very soft, mild cheese would work too), softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
(and/or a couple tsp grated lemon zest and a generous squeeze of lemon juice)
(if you have a sweet tooth, or if you have very tart fruit to work with, maybe two generous tablespoons of sugar or other sweetener)
4-5 cups fresh fruit of choice, sliced/chunked if necessary
1/2 - 3/4 cup sliced almonds or chopped nuts of choice

Whip together the whipped topping and cheese (and sweetener if using one) with a mixer or other appliance until the mixture is smooth; add the vanilla and/or lemon; fold in the nuts and fruit; chill for several hours or overnight.

The batch we had at the potluck contained only green and red grapes, but a few days afterward we tried the recipe ourselves using a small amount of grapes from the supermarket added to all sorts of odd bits of local fruit we've been getting from our farmers' market visits -- peaches, blueberries, summer apples. We liked it, although I think I prefer the simpler and less artificially manufactured version in my old Betty Crocker cookbook, with fruit, sweetened sour cream and a dash of vanilla.

Meanwhile...we're planning our Saturday dinner around the televised University of Michigan football game against our local university, Central Michigan. We often cook chicken wings for football Saturdays, and this time I'm adapting a recipe for chicken drumsticks that I found in a cookbook awhile back. I'm going to make a dry rub of 3 TBS Chinese five-spice, 1 TBS kosher salt, 1 TBS brown sugar, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and a dash of cayenne pepper, massage that into a package of chicken wings, let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours and then lay them out on a flat pan and roast them at about 425 F for about 45 minutes or so, turning them several times and brushing them with bottled hoisin sauce beginning about halfway into the cooking process. DP usually turns this into a kind of Iron Chef competition with her own improvised chicken wing recipes, but this year each of us may simply make a couple of savory snacky things and save the competition for the football players.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Gosh, georgiaboy, that sounds pretty rich!

I also love a rich fruit cake, and am currently saving a big piece of the cake I made for my son's wedding to re-ice for Christmas, instead of making one - although it is much deeper than my usual Christmas cake.
For a non-celebration fruit cake I usually resort to one or another version of a boiled fruit cake. They are moist and tasty, but not anything like as rich as Christmas cake.

Boiled Fruit Cake
5oz butter, chopped
10oz sultanas
10oz currants
6oz soft brown sugar
1tsp ground mixed spice
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
8floz water
2 eggs, well beaten
5oz plain flour
5oz self-raising flour

METHOD
Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Combine the butter, sultanas, currants, sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon, ginger, bicarbonate of soda and water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring, then set aside to cool.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon. Sift the two flours into the mixture and beat well. Pour into a lightly oiled cake tin of about 22cm diameter.

Bake for one hour, or until a thin skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before taking the cake from the tin. Cool and store in an airtight container until required.

If that's not the kind of thing you have in mind I also have a recipe for a nice 'cut-and-come-again' fruit cake (but it's downstairs in a cookbook somewhere, not up here in my computer's recipe folder).

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh, RoseofSharon that looks like just the thing! I love boiled fruit cake.

I'm assuming it keeps well - and possibly improves if you make it a few days in advance rather than eating immediately?

Thanks!

[ 28. August 2013, 21:40: Message edited by: birdie ]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
Oooh, RoseofSharon that looks like just the thing! I love boiled fruit cake.

I'm assuming it keeps well - and possibly improves if you make it a few days in advance rather than eating immediately?

Thanks!

Birdie, here's another boiled one which used to be very popular down here. This one has been taken from our national broadcaster but I think the original came from the Australian Women's Weekly whose recipes were always well tested and reliable. Still are, actually. I have tried it with other fruit but think the pineapple works best.

Crushed pineapple fruitcake.

[ 28. August 2013, 23:22: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Birdie, I made the classic fruit cake from 'Delia Smith's Christmas' last year. It was fabulous. Shame no one else in my family (apart from FD) likes fruit cake... [Yipee] all the more for me.

On a different note, it is FD's birthday today and we had this: Kangaroo with raspberry glaze . It was YUMMY!

[Link edited to make it work. - Ariel.]

[ 29. August 2013, 20:53: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Lothlorien, that pineapple cake sounds delicious. I'm glad it says that chunks or rings can be chopped in a blender & used as I've seen many recipes calling for a can of crushed pineapple, but never found any in the shops.

Birdie, yes it keeps quite well - or at least, I've never kept one long enough for it to go mouldy [Biased]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got a free tub of quark with my online supermarket order. Any great recipes? I've used it before, but not for a while...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Big mushroom - chop some garlic and chilli up, to taste, and sprinkle over the top. Dollop of quark. Wrap in foil and bake for 10/15 mins. Or the same with cream cheese.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a moment of last minute inspiration serving some unexpected guests, I had a scoop of vanilla ice cream, topped with few strawberries and looking around for something to drizzle across the top I added Sweet Soy Sauce. ( not regular soy sauce) Oh my, everyone at the table gave it a big thumbs up. I am going to be doing this again.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
I've got a free tub of quark with my online supermarket order. Any great recipes? I've used it before, but not for a while...

Tried a new recipe a couple of weeks ago for a courgette & sweet potato 'lasagne' that used quark (I'd not cooked with it before)

Roughly this: Thinly sliced courgettes, thinly sliced sweet potato, tomato sauce (I think the recipe just called for a can of chopped tomatoes & tomato puree, but I cooked an onion & some garlic in with it to make a sauce), a carton of quark and some grated sharp cheese such as cheddar. Note: No Pasta
Layer 1/4 of the sauce, half the courgettes, a little more sauce, sweet potato, all the quark, the rest of the courgettes, more sauce, the rest of the sweet potato and the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle with the grated cheese, cover with foil and bake at 180C for 45 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 170C and cook another 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender, and the cheesy top is browned.
I've made it once and it was good, so I've bought another carton of quark to do it again.

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After varying degrees of success with making shaped train cakes in the past, I've bought a silicone mould for KGlet2's upcoming birthday cake. Now I'm trying to work out what sort of mixture, in what quantities, would work best.

It's about 12" x 7.5" at its widest, and about 3" deep. It held about 3 pints of water before spilling.

Anybody got any advice or suggestions? Thanks!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Have you got a 'normal' cake tin that holds the same volume of liquid? If so you should make the same amount of cake mix as you would if using that.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
... Kangaroo with raspberry glaze ...

I've never tasted kangaroo, and living where I do, it's unlikely I'll get the chance. The raspberry glaze looks lovely though - would it work with beef, poultry or game?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I imagine that it would work well with venison or moose, piglet. (Actually, even with the last one [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Concerning "Quark" - I had to google to find out what the heck it is. After scrolling through the leptons and hadrons and such, I found a cheese product. Guessing this is what it is. It sounds like it's smoothed out cottage cheese, - no lumps, err... curds either large or small. Is this right?

Maybe something like this would work: box of lime jello (skimp a little on the water); grate a few cups of cucumber, and a piece of onion; add cottage cheese (or sour cream works too). Fridge until set. Very refreshing.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quark is rather a bland variety of cream cheese.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Search for Slimming World recipes - they use quark a lot. It's good mixed with an egg and used as a lasagne or mousakka topping.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
Concerning "Quark" - I had to google to find out what the heck it is. After scrolling through the leptons and hadrons and such, I found a cheese product. Guessing this is what it is. It sounds like it's smoothed out cottage cheese, - no lumps, err... curds either large or small. Is this right?

Maybe something like this would work: box of lime jello (skimp a little on the water); grate a few cups of cucumber, and a piece of onion; add cottage cheese (or sour cream works too). Fridge until set. Very refreshing.

Having perused the Gallery of Regrettable Food, I didn't realise that people ate jello salad in 2013!

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Not a recipe, but in Germany they eat this in a big dollop on rye bread, with a spoonful of jam on the top. Delicious. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I imagine that it would work well with venison or moose, piglet. (Actually, even with the last one [Big Grin] )

[Eek!] [Waterworks]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fed up with the usual bland fruit coulis? Try this:

Half pound of strawberries, wiped and hulled
4 ounces of red currants, topped-and-tailed
1 lime

In a heavy based saucepan :
Cut strawberries small
add red currants
add grated lime zest plus juice
heat very gently until it starts to bubble, then switch off before adding
quarter teaspoon fresh-milled black pepper
Allow to cool before pushing through a sieve

Pour over ice cream or serve with fruit mille-feuille.
Bon appetit [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to the zucchini/courgette recipes. This one from Elizabeth David is easy and freezes well.

Grate a couple of zucchini. Cook some rice, so that you end up with about the same amount of zucchini. The absorption method is best, esp if you sue some light chicken stock. While you leave the rice to one side, sweat a chopped onion or leek in the same saucepan until it is soft and golden. Season and sprinkle some flour over that and stir while the flour cooks. Make a rather thick béchamel from that, and if you like add some grated cheese (emmental is best, but Mrs David would strongly disapprove of any cheese). Stir your rice and zucchini back in and pour the lot into a tray, so it's about4 or 5 cm thick. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and dot with butter. Bake for 30 minutes or so at 180, until the top is golden and crisp. Serve as a first course, or as a lunch dish alongside some cold ham, a grilled chicken fillet, or a veal chop.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I should have said to put the grated zucchini back with the onion before adding the flour, not after making the sauce. That gives a better result. But there will be plenty of liquid from the vegetables, so make sure the sauce is thick to start with. Don't add cheese if you're serving it alongside chicken or veal.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This recipe which uses courgettes by Mr Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is a great favourite in the Dormousehold

[ 02. September 2013, 14:52: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
Tried a new recipe a couple of weeks ago for a courgette & sweet potato 'lasagne' that used quark (I'd not cooked with it before)

Roughly this: Thinly sliced courgettes, thinly sliced sweet potato, tomato sauce (I think the recipe just called for a can of chopped tomatoes & tomato puree, but I cooked an onion & some garlic in with it to make a sauce), a carton of quark and some grated sharp cheese such as cheddar. Note: No Pasta
Layer 1/4 of the sauce, half the courgettes, a little more sauce, sweet potato, all the quark, the rest of the courgettes, more sauce, the rest of the sweet potato and the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle with the grated cheese, cover with foil and bake at 180C for 45 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 170C and cook another 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender, and the cheesy top is browned.
I've made it once and it was good, so I've bought another carton of quark to do it again.

I now have a tub of quark sitting in my fridge ready to try this. Butternut squash was cheaper than sweet potato so I'm hoping it will prove to be an acceptable substitute.
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I'm having another go at that sweet potato & courgette 'lasagne' tomorrow, but the sauce will be made from left-over courgette/tomato/onion stew whizzed up in the processor.

I seem to be have a pan of that bubbling on the stove most of the time at the moment, using it as a side vegetable, a base for pasta sauces and vegetable bakes of various kinds, or with a cheesy breadcrumb topping as a dish in its own right.

I may have forgotten how to cook anything else by the time the courgette season is over!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016