homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
... Kangaroo with raspberry glaze ...

I've never tasted kangaroo, and living where I do, it's unlikely I'll get the chance. The raspberry glaze looks lovely though - would it work with beef, poultry or game?
It would be wonderful with venison or any game bird I would think.
Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I turned a couple of spare red peppers into rather a nice dip/spread thingy this evening:

2 red peppers
1 large clove garlic, chopped
400g tub Philly cheese
About ⅓ cup mayonnaise
About ⅓ cup soured cream
Salt and pepper

Preheat the grill to High.*

Cut the peppers into rough quarters, removing the stems, seeds and membranes. Grill them skin-side-up until the skin blackens, then put them in a plastic bag for about 10 minutes to loosen the skin (it should peel off quite easily).

Chop the peeled peppers and put them into a food-processor along with the rest of the ingredients and whizz until fairly smooth.

Chill and serve with crackers or crudites.

* If you've got a gas-stove, hold the peppers over a flame until the skin blackens.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's sloe gin making time ... and this year I really mean to do it. A friend has just told me where there are a load of sloes growing. So how can I tell if they are ripe, and how ripe do they need to be to make the sloe gin? Other sources I have found say that you need to wait till after the first frost, but that may be some weeks away. Will the sloes still be ok then - assuming there are any left by then!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can put sloes in the freezer if you pick them before the first frost. I can't find any near me, which is annoying as I was determined to make sloe gin this year.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IMHO damson GIN is even nicer than the sloe variety, and a friend tells me that his brother has a damson tree in his garden.

I think some serious up-chatting may be in order ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To stop damson gin being too sweet I always add a handful of sloes.

This year I'm branching out into raspberry vodka...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've done raspberry gin in the past and that was (though I say so myself) sensational. Sloe gin will be a new venture.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've made cranberry gin which worked well - same deal as the more usual sloe gin.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I wondered about cranberries as an alternative to damsons - does it come out the colour of cranberry juice or a bit paler?

One of the things I love about damson GIN is the beautiful garnet colour.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More ruby red than that garnet colour

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Referring back to the last page, RoseofSharon, my family, friends and I would like to thank you for that boiled fruit cake recipe!

Very lovely indeed - we need a suitable smilie.

I'll try the crushed pineapple one sometime too...

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I've done raspberry gin in the past and that was (though I say so myself) sensational. Sloe gin will be a new venture.

Well I now have my sloes and they are reposing in the freezer undergoing the necessary "frost" process!

Do they have any stones or seeds in that need to be taken out first, or can they just go in the gin as they are?

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
RoseofSharon, my family, friends and I would like to thank you for that boiled fruit cake recipe!

You are very welcome.

Mr RoS brought home three bags of damsons today, picked from a roadside tree. I told him that he'd have to stone them all before I could use them [Snigger]
He managed over 6lb this evening, so I'm making jam in the morning.
I have made damson gin in the past, also sloe gin & black currant gin, but they all sat in the cupboard for years because we don't much like alcohol (to drink, that is - it's great for cooking with, and the gin-soaked fruit makes lovely desserts [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
... Do they have any stones or seeds in that need to be taken out first, or can they just go in the gin as they are?

If sloes work the same way as damsons, then prick them with a darning-needle (tedious job: do it while listening to nice music or watching the footie results [Big Grin] ), chuck them into a large sealable jar or bottle until it's about 5/6 full. Add 6 generous tablespoons of sugar, and top up with bog-standard GIN (there's no point in using an expensive brand)

Seal up the jar, then leave it in a cool, dark place for at least 6 weeks, turning it over once a week. Then strain through a muslin cloth, bottle up and drink as you would a liqueur - remember it's basically neat GIN. [Eek!]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Traditionally you keep your maturing bottles of sloe gin under the bed and roll it from one side to the other each morning to stir it (this assumes there's nothing else under your bed - like Ship's mugs).

You need two bottles of gin, one empty, because you put half a bottle of gin back into each bottle with the sloes and sugar (or cranberry). The boring bit is pricking the sloes. Your fingers end up a very interesting form of wrinkled.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have seen marmalade vodka in Waitrose - wondering if marmalade rum would be possible/drinkable. Considering making ginger and orange marmalade vodka for my mum for Christmas - she does drink vodka but prefers rum.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Marmalade vodka sounds interesting, I might try a marmalade whisky for dh for Christmas. I currently have lots ready for pressies; raspberry rum, blackberry whisky, raspberry and black currant brandy, berry vodka, sloe gin and I've just made blueberry gin today. I often use frozen fruit as it works so well, no risk of yeasts, and available all year round. My sloes were dried ones though.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those worried about their weight or diabetic, I have made sloe and damson gin using artificial sweetener... [Smile]
The only change to the usual process is to add a teaspoon of honey to some gently heated gin and add to the mixture - this takes away the sometimes slightly metallic taste of the sweetener.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We made this years supply of brandied cumquats at the end of July. It's a bit tedious pricking each cumquat with a darning needle a half dozen times, but after then it's easy, and the result is worth it. Fill each jar with cumquats, pour white sugar over them to about the halfway mark, then fill with brandy. Put into a dark cupboard and shake every day or so until the sugar is dissolved. Leave a few months more. When you've eaten all the fruit, you still have the liqueur to drink. A tablespoon in a duck terrine is magnificent, or a teaspoon or so in sauce for duck breasts makes a good change from the traditional and rather boring bigarade sauce.

I imagine you could do the same with blood or seville oranges, or tangelos. We don't have them growing, but do have cumquat trees.

[ 14. September 2013, 03:02: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
For those worried about their weight or diabetic, I have made sloe and damson gin using artificial sweetener... [Smile]
The only change to the usual process is to add a teaspoon of honey to some gently heated gin and add to the mixture - this takes away the sometimes slightly metallic taste of the sweetener.

Having just checked, the reason you need sugar in the sloe gin mix is to encourage the osmosis of the contents of the sloes into the gin. You need it for the infusion to work properly, not just to sweeten the mix. Chemically, I'm unconvinced sweeteners will work so well. The other reason for including sugar is the preservative effect - too little sugar and your sloe gin may not keep as long. I am pretty sure the recipe my parents use has reduced the sugar content to taste rather than substitute sweeteners.

If you wanted to reduce the sugar content you could try one of the recipes that ferment the sloes before adding to the gin

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do any of those picking fruit 'in the wild' for preserving wash it is anything other than water to keep your jam free from dog pee?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Do any of those picking fruit 'in the wild' for preserving wash it is anything other than water to keep your jam free from dog pee?

We don't pick anything from low down. Also don't pick from beside busy roads to avoid dust & particulates from passing traffic.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Damsons and sloes are not available here, but has anyone tried preserving them along the lines of preserved lemons? That may well make something interesting to use in cooking a game bird, or rabbit/hare. It should not be hard to make a jar or 2.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

We don't pick anything from low down. Also don't pick from beside busy roads to avoid dust & particulates from passing traffic.
Yes, I'm constantly frustrated by the high number of apple trees in these parts that grow on traffic islands and dual carriageways.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Point of order!

Velveeta is not cheese! Not quite certain it is actually food.

If one wishes to add cheddar or other hard cheese to soup, find a cheese sauce recipe. Make that then add it to the soup.

Here's a thought that will make your hair stand on end. It might even make you run for the toilet. A friend of ours makes fudge. It's creamy and rich and... it has Velveeta in it!! Yuck! He got the recipe out of some magazine and he, his husband, and my wife adore it! I just don't get the appeal. I tried the fudge and had to spit it into the garbage. My wife loves, loves, loves Velveeta and when I just now told her that all of you were dissing it, she laughed and said that secretly all of your really love it. Not likely! Ugh! Then again, my wife is one of these people who happily eats processed cheese on everything.
[Projectile]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was wittering in AS about this recipe which D. did for lunch today - it really was very flavoursome, and being a "chuck everything in a roasting-pan and put in oven" job it was dead easy.

He added potatoes cooked with thyme, which drank up the (quite thin but v. tasty) sauce nicely.

We decided that it might be improved with a higher chicken:onion ratio, and a few chestnut mushrooms would probably be a nice addition.

From the recipe it looks as if it's meant to be a fairly flexible feast, so Experiments Will Be Done (and reported on).

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need a recipe for using cream filled biscuits. I have a friend with hollow legs who devours biscuits at a rate of knots, so I buy boxes of broken biscuits which keep him satisfied. However, they always include little round creams, either white or chocolate, which neither of us like very much (and he's a custard cream fan). I've never seen them in a packet. There aren't enough in any one box to make the purchase uneconomic, but they do mount up.
I have used them in something trifle-y, but they aren't really right for that.
And because of the cream filling, they aren't really right for biscuit crumb bases for cheesecake.
Any ideas?

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Try white vinegar - the smell/taste will evaporate as the fruit dries, so as long as you let it dry completely before adding to the alcohol, it won't taste vinegary.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I need a recipe for using cream filled biscuits. I have a friend with hollow legs who devours biscuits at a rate of knots, so I buy boxes of broken biscuits which keep him satisfied. However, they always include little round creams, either white or chocolate, which neither of us like very much (and he's a custard cream fan). I've never seen them in a packet. There aren't enough in any one box to make the purchase uneconomic, but they do mount up.
I have used them in something trifle-y, but they aren't really right for that.
And because of the cream filling, they aren't really right for biscuit crumb bases for cheesecake.
Any ideas?

They should be fine for cheesecake bases - oreos are used all the time and they're cream biscuits. Otherwise, maybe try them crushed up and added to chocolate fridge/tiffin cake?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

There'd be nothing at all wrong in using cream biscuits ground up as a base for a cheese cake, but if its a cake that needs baking, make sure you line the tin with baking paper.

Another possibility is to use the crushed biscuits to make a base, then make a simple ice cream and freeze that in the base. If you're not up to making an ice cream, buy a good commercial one, and put that in. A very easy pudding is to soak dried figs in port for a few weeks, and serve them with coffee ice cream. An ice cream pie would just be that bit more.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. (But I hate figs - probably due to my Nana force feeding me syrup of...) I have an icecream machine. I think cookie icecream may be joining the Christmas Pudding ditto in the repertoire.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could scrape the cream filling off and use the biscuit part. The cream bit could be used for something else, or thrown away if you don't want it.

I quite like them, but they are a bit too sweet sometimes.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Overcooked some rhubarb chunks tonight, which were intended to go in a clafoutis, so instead, as they seemed to be puree already, mixed them with some chopped stem ginger in syrup and mixed the lot into some batter. Added some vanilla and honey, then baked in a tin until done. Served with a dollop of creme fraiche, this actually turned out quite nice.

I'm enjoying the benefits of having an allotment - feel altogether more motivated to cook, and not waste what comes out of it. The other thing I did tonight was a moussaka with courgettes instead of aubergines, which has worked well. The recipe would transfer easily to lasagne, too.

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The brambles are out in force and my little fan-trained apple tree outdid itself this year. Today the apple and bramble crumble barely needed sugar. It probably helped that the last of the wild raspberries went in too. We've got loads of leftover crumble, a basket of apples to be distributed among friends, a full fruit bowl and more apples to come.

Cattyish, about to turn into an apple.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our little Hawthornden yielded 6 apples this year - not bad, considering it's a one year sapling. The better 3 went into a very nice apple pie last weekend, and the remainder will make an apple sauce for pork tomorrow.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
... We've got loads of leftover crumble, a basket of apples to be distributed among friends, a full fruit bowl and more apples to come.

Cattyish, about to turn into an apple.

I know how you feel. There's an apple-themed church thing in a couple of weeks, and if I see another apple recipe there may be tears: about 5 different chutney recipes, apple pie, cake, sauce and I'm hoping to try and make jelly sweets that can be bagged up before hand. I even found a recipe for apple pie that uses crispy bacon instead of pastry to make a lattice top.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I think I've just had the last of the blackberries, but there are still more runner beans to come. I have too many cucumbers. And tomato plants which took off much too late, flourishing like a rain forest, but with very few flowers. The butternut squashes keep rotting after pollination. I have a courgette that thinks it should be a marrow in the kitchen, with another on the way - two more lost to end rot like the squash. (But I've had a goodly number.) I've done the moussaka type thing with them, too.
The runner beans have been so vigorous that one of the canes has been bent into a curve, which looks permanent. I sometimes do the beans with a pasta sauce, using them as a form of spaghetti.
It looks as though my garden is best with cucurbitae, alliums and legumes - the peas were good this year, but I needed a much larger planting of them. Potatoes do well in bags, but everything else is a battle. Didn't even manage radishes this year.

[ 29. September 2013, 09:09: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a couple of beetroot to use up last night so did a bit of a riff on a beetroot thoran with stuff I had to hand. I'm sure it's not quite what Welease Woderick (or HWMBO or Herself) would recognise as a thoran but I was rather pleased with it.

Chop half an onion and fry in some oil.
Add good teaspoon of mustard seeds until they pop.
Add about a dessert spoon of chopped ginger.
Crumble in two small dried chills.
Crumble in some dried methi. About a dessert spoon.
Stir around and leave to cook for 5 mins or so.
Add two smallish beetroot, diced into small pieces.
Cook with lid off for 15 mins till soft. Add a little bit of water to stop sticking if necessary but not so much that it gets sloppy.
Season with salt and pepper, Squeeze in juice of half a lemon (lime would probably be good too).
Add a good tablespoon of creamed coconut.*

Serve with rice, dal and yoghurt.

I had two helpings for supper and the rest for lunch today. The lemon juice and coconut totally transforms it - up till then it's a bit so-so and actually too sweet for me. But with them it was YUMMY.

*I would have added desiccated as I *know* I have an open bag of it around somewhere, just couldn't seem to find it. Sigh, I need to join the decluttering thread.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds yummy indeed, Yangtze.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Would like to recommend A Girl Called Jack - really cheap, delicious recipes, and an amazing woman and anti-poverty campaigner.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Tonight is what the children used to call bottom of the fridge night: the challenge this evening is what to do with:
  • 4 tired celery sticks, 1 very large red pepper, a handful of dubious mushrooms, 2 small carrots
  • whatever meat I can get from 2 wings and half a leg of a tiny chicken
  • some potted shrimps i MUST eat today
  • half a tin of anchovies

At the moment its looking like a variant on risotto...

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Would like to recommend A Girl Called Jack - really cheap, delicious recipes, and an amazing woman and anti-poverty campaigner.

She is now contributing to the Guardian on Thursdays instead of Allegra. Not as cheap as on her blog, apparently, but still cheap and simple.
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds like the makings of a tasty stew, L'organist. My favourite thing at the moment is to bung that kind of ingredient in a casserole dish or the slow cooker with a tin of tomatoes and a couple of handfuls of pearly barley/bulgur wheat/quinoa and come back later to a yummy dinner...

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Tonight is what the children used to call bottom of the fridge night: the challenge this evening is what to do with:
  • 4 tired celery sticks, 1 very large red pepper, a handful of dubious mushrooms, 2 small carrots
  • whatever meat I can get from 2 wings and half a leg of a tiny chicken
  • some potted shrimps i MUST eat today
  • half a tin of anchovies

At the moment its looking like a variant on risotto...

That looks like the kind of ingredients list I make Peasant Sauce for Pasta with - you would just need to add an onion & a beaten egg (roughly one egg for every two servings)

method.
Have a pan of pasta cooking.
Chop the onion (if you have it) & the other veg. Cook in a little oil until tender.
Pick the chicken meat from the bone and chop the anchovies, add to the veg with the shrimps and heat through thoroughly.
Season with plenty of black pepper. (Probably not salt, if using anchovies)
Drain the pasta and return to the pan.
Tip the hot veg mix into the hot pasta and quickly stir in the beaten egg.
Serve.

Other veg combinations can be used, with or without meat and/ or fish. Can also top with any leftover cheese you need to use up.

[ 05. October 2013, 07:36: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I made risotto - and jolly tasty too, especially with a glass of wine at the end of a long day

[Biased]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Finding a large pack of Uncle Ben's Egg Fried Rice, last night I had half of it with some cut up cold meats, assorted, and a pack of mixed fresh vegetables intended for microwaving, and various condiments. DIY House Special, much cheaper. This morning the rest was mixed with a little curry powder, butter, parsley, smoked haddock and a hard boiled egg. Think I should have put some spring onions in as well. Cheat's kedgeree.
The rest of the haddock is probably going into cheese sauce. Or maybe have a poached egg on top.

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tonight I made something in the slow cooker that looked really unappetizing on the website from which I got it (allrecipes.com) and not so lovely when I was placing all the ingredients into the crock pot but we are seriously chowing down on it now--it is FANTASTIC!

Take a goodly amount of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (the recipe calls for chicken breats but I use thighs because the flavor is much better) and put them in the bottom of your slow cooker/crock pot. Season with salt, pepper, a little bit of garlic powder, if desired. I made some broth with two chicken bouillon cubes, dried parsley, minced onions, and a dash of poultry seasoning and poured that over the chicken. I took a bag of frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, green beans, corn) and poured them in on top of the chicken thighs and then poured about two cups each of cornbread stuffing and cubed bread stuffing and a can of cream of mushroom soup on top of all that. I cooked it all on the high setting for about four hours and... wow! Yum! We are just gobbling it right now. Actually, I have to stop typing this to gobble some more!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You took time off from eating to type?!?!?

That, I think, is so far beyond the call of duty as to be over the horizon!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night we had roasted winter squash to go with our roasted chicken, and I tried a recipe I'd found online: I quartered the squash (one of those squat green buttercups), placed the pieces on a lined baking pan and coated them with a mixture of equal parts maple syrup and balsamic vinegar, along with a little olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. I roasted it at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, turning and basting the pieces occasionally. (Since the chicken roasts at a lower heat, I cooked the squash first, pulled it out, put the bird in the 400 oven and then reduced the heat to 350. I put the squash back in the oven shortly before the chicken came out, to warm it up.) This was fantastically good. I imagine honey would be a good substitute for the maple syrup for persons in maple-syrup-less places.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could see that working with chicken pieces in the same tray with the squash and the dressing over everything.

My w/end discovery was fondue sauce. I was doing cheesy cod and didn't really fancy the usual roux-based one, so I heated a glug of white wine in a saucepan, stirred in grated cheese and some mustard until it melted, thickened with a little corn flour (mix about a tsp with a teensy bit of liquid before adding) poured that over the fish steaks which had been seasoned and fried in a little butter. Couple of minutes under a hot grill until brown and bubbly.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016