homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 137)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  134  135  136  137  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As you say, we should all be grieving together.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
John Campbell, the guy anchoring the report on Radio NZ is obviously partisan (for Hillary)and he is not sounding happy.

Well that's not like our John... (thought the same thing in the car on the way home.)

So my thoughts now turn to Trump having to deal with reality. The impression I've had of the campaigning has been it's been a lot of rhetoric, but when one becomes president and needs to actually work within the system (as it's not full autocratic power) what does Trump become?

Curious

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
"President Obama has a special #ElectionNight message for you: "No matter what happens, the sun will rise in the morning" "

What else is he gonna say?

He is a total failure.

[ 09. November 2016, 05:24: Message edited by: romanlion ]

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Fuck.

It would appear that the US saw brexit and thought, we can do that.

What a mess.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As an evangelical (although a progressive one) I feel sad so many evangelicals voted for Trump. [Frown] Even one of my brothers thought he was a better candidate which was upsetting to say the least. They seem to think Trump will be less of a warmonger. Perhaps he is isolationist which doesn't bode well for us in Australia and the rest of the US' allies. But the world just feels like it's on a war footing and too many young people have forgotten the horrors of war.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
Well in Europe's defence, as mindbogglingly silly Brexit was, it didn't promise to pull the Americas over the precipice with us. Now, Trump is another matter.

Would it be possible to at least enact some kind of emergency legislation before 20th January to keep his grubby paws off the nuclear button? I mean seriously.

But to all Americans here: [Votive] we sincerely share your pain and grieve with you.

By the way, a good deal of the Americans here have been a part of this community since the Bush II era, and we are fully aware how America as a political entity affects the rest of the world-- particularly those of us who were against Desert Storm from day1. Why does that mean we have to skip over worrying about what is actually going to happen to those of us who will actually be subject to Trump's governance?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What absolutely ghastly news this morning.
A friend of mine was saying the other day that she hopes very much that, if Trump wins, the Queen will not feel it is her duty to meet and greet him personally. Yesterday on radio I heard a woman say that, because she was a Christian,* she didn't think a woman should be a leader. That's really desperate stuff in this day and age.

*I do of course realise that all the Christians here would not agree with the stated correlation.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
Oh Fuck.

It would appear that the US saw brexit and thought, we can do that.

What a mess.

Which is not to say that I am putting the whole of the US in the same boat. Just that the same wave of stupid would appear to have struck both electorates and left many shipmates in deep mourning. It's all come flooding back.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cross posted with Barnabas62 sorry
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope every Illary voter had to wait hours to cast that meaningless vote...

Idiots...

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
By the way, a good deal of the Americans here have been a part of this community since the Bush II era, and we are fully aware how America as a political entity affects the rest of the world-- particularly those of us who were against Desert Storm from day1. Why does that mean we have to skip over worrying about what is actually going to happen to those of us who will actually be subject to Trump's governance?

***This.***

However bad you non-Americans think it's going to be, it will be worse for us, ***because we freaking live here.***

Re Brexit: Google "brexit international economy effect". America isn't the only country that has an international effect.

[ 09. November 2016, 05:49: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Well, you could say that Afghanistan has it a lot worse than us due to Bush's shenanigans. But does that mean I can't be angry about the three women's health clinics that closed in my neighborhood under his watch? Or the steaming pile of nasty education policies he fathered that *still* predominantly impact the minority children I serve? Or the fact that Bush spent nearly a decade lying straight into We the You People's faces to get his war off the ground?

I understand global impact, but I gotta get up and walk around in this mess, starting tomorrow.

[ 09. November 2016, 05:55: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

Good on the US voter, for keeping an unworthy, lying, corrupt, disingenuous piece of shit out of the White House.

God Bless the USA!

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think most of us here just assumed you would know we know it would be worst for shipmates in the US than the rest of us. [Frown] Feeling sorry for you all except those like Roman Lion who are celebrating. At least there's unlikely to be post-election violence now and everybody knows Trump was lying about the election being rigged. So that's a win for democracy. I'm sure Trump will claim it's only because of his poll watchers that there was no rigging though [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Good on the US voter, for keeping an unworthy, lying, corrupt, disingenuous piece of shit out of the White House.

God Bless the USA!

Which of these do you feel does not apply to Trump?

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

God Bless the USA!

You may have missed the part where Trump was in the lead. Unworthy (check), Lying (check, check, check), Corrupt (check), Disingenuous (check), Piece of Shit (check, check, check)

However, as he isn't afflicting with ovaries, clearly far more qualified to be president

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I hope every Illary voter had to wait hours to cast that meaningless vote...

Idiots...

Thank you, you're too kind.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

Too old and tired to even address her supporters tonight...

Send Podesta's sorry ass out there and tell everyone to go to bed.

Embarrassing...

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry America. Thoughts with you
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh shit.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The "karma" is going to land on all the wrong people. The people most likely to have flourished due to the legacy of slavery and the proliferation of guns will be sitting pretty.

If by "karma" you mean "People who have historically been shit on having to swallow yet more shit", spot on , Firenze.

Just so. It is the coup of the rich against the poor.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
Tell you what, lets round up all Pollsters and get them picking up litter or something like that.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, you could say that Afghanistan has it a lot worse than us due to Bush's shenanigans. But does that mean I can't be angry about the three women's health clinics that closed in my neighborhood under his watch? Or the steaming pile of nasty education policies he fathered that *still* predominantly impact the minority children I serve? Or the fact that Bush spent nearly a decade lying straight into We the You People's faces to get his war off the ground?

I understand global impact, but I gotta get up and walk around in this mess, starting tomorrow.

Sorry. I did it too. Freaked out about how it's going to affect me and mine, and posted that here, instead of sympathy to my fellow citizens of the world who happen to dwell in these United States. You have my every sympathy, today, tomorrow, and in the years to come. Also, I don't have to walk around amongst my compatriots tomorrow wondering which of them voted for Trump. There are, I think, worrying divisions in my own society, but they're not that wide.

The thing is, can we say, well, it can only go up from here - or do things actually need to get worse and reach some sort of cataclysm before anything can get better? And yeah, as you have pointed out, it's not the people at the top of the pile who are generally affected by cataclysmic events.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A word to all users of this thread.

Hellish comments belong in Hell. Feel free to start a thread there, if you are pissed off, either with the result or any related bad-mouthing, or gloating.

The result is not confirmed. Soon after that happens, we will open a separate "aftermath" thread for what we suspect might be extended serious discussion.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aljazeera has called it fro Trump with 276.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
The "karma" is going to land on all the wrong people. The people most likely to have flourished due to the legacy of slavery and the proliferation of guns will be sitting pretty.

If by "karma" you mean "People who have historically been shit on having to swallow yet more shit", spot on , Firenze.

Just so. It is the coup of the rich against the poor.
... and in what way does that constitute karma?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting/

Ariston has done us the favour of opening a Hell thread.

This may be a difficult time for many, but please observe Barnabas62's hostly injunction above.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have dual nationality, with family in both countries.
In the US during the civil war my family were split down the middle and ended up facing one another in battle. History now appears to be repeating itself, albeit with different weapons.

First Brexit, now this.
I am very sad

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
quote:

God Bless the USA!

You may have missed the part where Trump was in the lead. Unworthy (check), Lying (check, check, check), Corrupt (check), Disingenuous (check), Piece of Shit (check, check, check)

However, as he isn't afflicting with ovaries, clearly far more qualified to be president

I feell so sorry for the American women who will now have to make a gigantic effort just to maintain what freedom they have over their lives and bodies at present, let alone improve their status.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rats! Shoulda done the deal in pesos!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May the Lord have mercy on us, both those inside and outside America - and especially for those inside who are neither white nor male.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK we already got an aftermath thread, but it was concentrating on analysis of result rather than what happens now. So I closed it for the time being until we get the lines of demarcation clear.

I recommend we do post-mortem analysis here at least for a while, and "what happens now?" in the new thread. So my plan is to reopen the aftermath thread as soon as my line is confirmed as OK. By all means take me to the Styx, if you like. I'm just trying to keep it reasonably orderly.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not going to question your judgement, I'm just being practical. Would you move the posts from my closed thread over and append them to this thread if you think they belong here?
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I see the hens have decided to express their dissatisfaction with how the roosters are managing things by electing a fox as their saviour.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Barnabas.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Duff link, David. Sorry, I'm reposting.

Here is the link to the posts in the temporarily closed Aftermath thread.

B62, Purg Host

[ 09. November 2016, 08:22: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possibly worth saying that it looks like the Republicans now have a majority in the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Which is a bit of a problem as (presumably) the Republican president will be able to get through anything that appeals to their base. Particularly undoing the climate change promises.

--------------------
arse

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

mr cheesy

It's an excellent point and I'm sure it's right for aftermath considerations. As are other consequences of a President with majorities in both House and Senate.

Can you give Hosts just a little time to sort out what, if any, sorts of demarcations are going to work best? I promise your post wont get lost!

B62, Purg Host

[ 09. November 2016, 08:30: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mili--

quote:
Originally posted by Mili:
I think most of us here just assumed you would know we know it would be worst for shipmates in the US than the rest of us. [Frown] Feeling sorry for you all except those like Roman Lion who are celebrating.

IMHO, FWIW: throughout the thread, most non-Americans didn't acknowledge that, most of the time. Many of them did post as if they knew everything about our country, and showed little or no humility that a) it wasn't their country; and b) they might just possibly be mistaken, let alone wrong. Many didn't want to believe there's a long history of corrupt elections and of malfeasance, even when pictures were provided. Some seemed to be much more concerned with stats of not-their-country, than with actual people--actual Shipmates--who would be most directly affected.
[Roll Eyes]

But thank you and others who've posted sympathy and good wishes and prayers.
[Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Brenda

I suppose one of the issues will be this one. Just how much of a dystopia do the disaffected believe they already live in?

Are you kidding? Gays getting married, men pissing in women's bathrooms, blacks getting welfare (and OUR jobs), Moslems being allowed into the country, Mexican immigrants getting jobs tending lawns for the rich -- it's hell out there man. It's hell.
Nice one, mousethief. Looks like there were 3% more than the 45% forecast by pollsters. At any rate, enough to make a world changing difference.

This moved me to tears.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, I don't understand, "Many didn't want to believe there's a long history of corrupt elections and of malfeasance, even when pictures were provided.". Can you point to those provisions above?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Sorry, that was @Golden Key.

--------------------
Love wins

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
May the Lord have mercy on us, both those inside and outside America - and especially for those inside who are neither white nor male.

Well, if they had come out and voted for Hillary the way they did for Obama this wouldn't have happened.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Purgatory Hosts have discussed and are in agreement that the aftermath thread should now be re-opened for the purpose of discussing the possible consequences of the result of the 2016 election. This one will be kept open purely for postmortem analysis of the result e.g. the reason things turned out that way, or the pollsters got it wrong, or the demographics etc.

And you also now have two threads in Hell for venting. So you can be cross, look backwards, or look forwards! Please try to do those things in the appropriate places.

And for mr cheesy, I've copied your post over to the aftermath thread.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

[ 09. November 2016, 09:27: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Martin--

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Sorry, I don't understand, "Many didn't want to believe there's a long history of corrupt elections and of malfeasance, even when pictures were provided.". Can you point to those provisions above?

Several pages ago, I and others posted examples and links, including pictures of proof. Generally, we were disbelieved, or told it couldn't possibly be pervasive. If you desperately want to see, search on "box" or "lid". Those are the pics. The wider discussion will be fore and aft.

That's all I want to say on that subject. I only brought it up again as an example of attitudes.

I do think that many non-American people have such a vested interest in their own beliefs and dreams about America that they can't/won't hear anything else. IMHO, they need to read beyond the front label and colorful packaging, and read the ingredients and warnings on the back.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
There's putting your money where your mouth is, and then there's putting your mouth where your polling predictions are:

quote:
Sam Wang
@SamWangPhD

It is totally over. If Trump wins more than 240 electoral votes, I will eat a bug.

There followed some entomological snark.
Just discovered this was pre-Comey. He says he'll live with the quote. B62 forecast and pledge. If Sam Wang doesn't have to eat a bug, I will re-read Calvin's 'Institutes'. Compared to which, eating one fried locust is child's play.
Sam Wang gets to eat a bug. I don't get to re-read the Institutes. Two facts which are of no comfort at all.

I suppose Sam Wang illustrates the collective discomfort of pollsters, whose general stock went through the floor last night. Clinton lost because she lost key states in the North. Even winning Florida might not have been enough.

And it looks as though the Latino vote in Florida harmed Trump less than elsewhere. He got about a third of it, rather than about 20% elsewhere (e.g. N Carolina). That might have got him the state.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Ah GK, the myth of voter fraud.

What has that got to do with this election? Apart from being a lie used by the winner?

--------------------
Love wins

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've heard it said (I can't find the link now) that the win was due to white working class voters in swing states moving from Obama to Trump - and that everyone else pretty much voted the same.

I don't know if that's accurate, I'll try to find the link.

Anacdotally, the press are reporting comments from people who went from supporting Bernie Sanders to supporting Trump because they thought "the real estate mogul held positions similar to Mr Sanders, such as curbing free trade and limiting American interventions abroad." (BBC)

:S

[ 09. November 2016, 10:59: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Posted by Jay-Emm

Not American, but I won't be happy till the results are in. There's just a bit of me that's aware the people with the more trumpian attitudes don't seem to be that unpopular. And again the attitudes of minorities against other minorities is also flawed. And in my own demographic heard the 'white men are the most opressed ...' far too often.

So bit concerned that the female/minority anti-trump feelings are overstated, and the white male pro-trump aren't.

And (at least according to the Guardian) it does appear that the (white) female anti-trump vote was.
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I've heard it said (I can't find the link now) that the win was due to white working class voters in swing states moving from Obama to Trump - and that everyone else pretty much voted the same.

I don't know if that's accurate, I'll try to find the link.

Anacdotally, the press are reporting comments from people who went from supporting Bernie Sanders to supporting Trump because they thought "the real estate mogul held positions similar to Mr Sanders, such as curbing free trade and limiting American interventions abroad." (BBC)

:S

There's a good analysis by the BBC of why Clinton lost.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  134  135  136  137  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016