homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 71)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
God may have spoken through Balaam's Ass, but I like to think he has some standards.

I really am not at all sure what your point is here. What are you not convinced of?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Final my arse. If she gets elected they'll find a way to resurrect it.

Since they're still discussing the "murder" of Vince Foster nearly a quarter of a century later, that seems like a safe bet.
Regardless of the circumstances of Foster's death, Hillary is a lying shit-bag corporate shill war-hawk no more deserving or qualified to be President than Trump, and on many points less so.

Anyone who would vote for her is brain-dead, and a threat to the rest of us as such.

Where there is smoke there is fire, and that woman has been smoking like a Rastafarian wedding ceremony for decades.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many points less worthy than Trump? Give 5.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have long known the man was a compulsive liar and shockingly irresponsible, but his recent trade speech is shocking even by his warped standards.
quote:
The biggest problem with Trump’s speech, according to trade policy experts, is that he doesn’t actually appear to know what he’s talking about.

So Leader Trump is against the TPP...but even an economist who is also against the TPP does a point-by-point take-down of just how uninformed Trump is about the deal.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

-She has never created a job or had to make a payroll

-She has never built anything or had to make a budget doing so

-She has never dealt with government except when cashing their checks

-She maintained a marriage to a philandering sexual predator purely for pursuit of her own power and wealth and actively participated in the destruction of the reputations of her Husband's victims

-She perpetuated what she knew to be a lie to the families of Americans killed under her watch for the political convenience of a man whom she can't stand because it advanced her own agenda

Want 5 more?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
God may have spoken through Balaam's Ass, but I like to think he has some standards.

Balaam's ass probably thought the same about humans.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

-She has never created a job or had to make a payroll

Ur assumption Trump is different is more flawed then you think.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Romanlion keep going. This thread is boringly pro-Hill. Give us some meat to chew though. Considered argument mate, not one-liners that we can knock down with a breath.

EVERYONE: Be nice to the fox for the moment. The chase is afoot! TOOT BARK BARK TOOT

John from Canada, loved your post. Just got a memory with holes and am too lazy to scroll back for your full name now that Romanlion is wagging his little white tail again.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Where did u read such an assumption in my post?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Romanlion keep going. This thread is boringly pro-Hill. Give us some meat to chew though. Considered argument mate, not one-liners that we can knock down with a breath.

EVERYONE: Be nice to the fox for the moment. The chase is afoot! TOOT BARK BARK TOOT

John from Canada, loved your post. Just got a memory with holes and am too lazy to scroll back for your full name now that Romanlion is wagging his little white tail again.

Dude! Chill!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Regardless of the circumstances of Foster's death, Hillary is a lying shit-bag corporate shill war-hawk no more deserving or qualified to be President than Trump, and on many points less so.

quote:
quote:

If you can't be bothered to pay attention to what you're writing, why should anyone else?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She has never created a job or had to make a payroll

How are you defining "created a job?" And how is "creating a job" really a criteria for political office (and how many politicians have ever "created jobs"?)

Build something? really? You think building something qualifies one to be president? Budget, yes, but I am quite sure she HAS had to create many different budgets of various sorts, in each of her many roles. I'm also sure Trump has not personally "built" anything. He has managed managers of construction projects.. but why a construction project would be more valuable than any other type of project is beyond me (unless, of course, construction is the goal).

Huh? of course she did. she was IN the government, and has had to deal with the government on many levels in many jobs. I really don't understand this one. what do you mean by "deal with the government"? do you mean in terms of having to go through a bureaucratic process? As a Federal employee I assure you that we deal with aspects of the Federal beurocracy that most people have no idea even exists!
Any time you deal with funding, with contracting, interacting with other Agencies, you encounter a beurocratic process which boggles the mind. daily. hourly. very few of us here in DC can avoid it in our jobs. I can assure you that as head of an Agency she had to deal with beurocracy hereslf (as well as managing the State Department's own beurocracy).

-She maintained a marriage to a philandering sexual predator purely for pursuit of her own power and wealth and actively participated in the destruction of the reputations of her Husband's victims

So maintaining a marriage "for better or for WORSE is somehow a bad thing, but trading wives every few years for a younger model is great? what the hell. you seriously criticize her for THAT? I don't know of any evidence of her actively working to ruin the reputations of her husband's "victims" (not sure they would consider themselves such), but if she did, not sure I could blame her as long as it was not illegal.

-She perpetuated what she knew to be a lie to the families of Americans killed under her watch for the political convenience of a man whom she can't stand because it advanced her own agenda

What are you talking about? Benghazi? Because, um.. yet ANOTHER investigation into that has shown no wrongdoing on her part. and they certainly tried.

Look, one can criticize her for her for policies with which you disagree (in my case, her hawkishness). But I can't see how any can, with a straight face, accuse her of not being qualified. she is without doubt the MOST qualified candidate in some time.

She is a liberal. if you are a conservative, I can see why you wouldn't like her positions on many issues. But that's not what I'm seeing here.

Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And to vote in conscience for Trump you need to make a good case that he is =better= than Hillary in these areas. He has to be =way= better to counterbalance his obvious out-of-his-own-nouth flaws.

I would argue that (a) Trump is not a successful businessman but a grifter. Until we see his tax returns there is no proof that he has ever made a profit in any long-term way.

More deeply, (b) being as uccessful businessman has nothing to do with running a government well, any more than being a ballerina is. The goal of a business is to make a profit, for you or for te shareholders. The goal of government is to run the country well.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We know Trump is not a great business man.
Daddy loaned him a million.
Daddy built a network of connections which he used.
Daddy bought him out of trouble at least once.
Daddy Left him millions more.
And still he bankrupted companies.
And still he had to shift his personal debt into is companies in order to avoid personal ruin.
After all that, he would be worth much more if he'd simply taken what daddy gave him and invested it in an indexed fund.
So, he is not a great business man.

But business is not an analogue for government. Only the ignorant can conclude it is.

Trump has only demonstrated one ability which is common in politics: the ability to use fear as self-promotion.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looking at Romanlion's list above, all I could think was, How does any of this disqualify her from being President?

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyuta:

What are you talking about? Benghazi? Because, um.. yet ANOTHER investigation into that has shown no wrongdoing on her part. and they certainly tried.

One of the interesting things about most Clinton conspiracy theories is that they make no sense even on their own terms and are mostly crafted to illustrate that the Clintons (either separately or together) are just evil for the sake of being evil. This particular conspiracy posits that Hillary Clinton told the families of those killed at the Benghazi compound that their loved ones were killed by people who hated America for one reason, when she really secretly knew that the attackers actually hated America for a different reason altogether. Knowing the exact reasons the killers hated America was supposed to be comforting to the families of those killed (for some reason), but Hillary Clinton denied them that comfort. Exactly how Clinton "knew" this when the CIA changed its mind on this question four times in the space of 48 hours is left unspecified. Probably because she was there, scaling the walls and killing those Americans herself, doubtless using the same gun she used to murder Vince Foster. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
romanlion

Anyuta's right hook has been followed by Croesos' right cross. I reckon your first five points are knocked out. Got any more?

[From previous posts I understand you aren't intending voting for either Hillary or the Donald.]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I still can't copy and past the URL, but if you go over to the Washington POST site and look under Opinions, a Jim Ruth has a piece titled I hate Donald Trump. But he might get my vote. He makes some sort of a case for his opinion, but I do think that this whole PC complaint is trivial and silly.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I still can't copy and past the URL, but if you go over to the Washington POST site and look under Opinions, a Jim Ruth has a piece titled I hate Donald Trump. But he might get my vote. He makes some sort of a case for his opinion, but I do think that this whole PC complaint is trivial and silly.

Snarky commentary, including a link.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

Snarky commentary, including a link.
Oooh, beautiful snark in the comments: "Confederate monuments are the ultimate participation trophy."

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

So this is going on:

quote:

Since members of the British Parliament have complained about receiving several fundraising emails from Donald Trump, politicians in several other foreign countries have revealed that they've also been flooded with email requests for donations from Trump.

Members of parliament in Australia, Iceland, Denmark, and Finland have all received the emails, according to news reports and tweets from the politicians.

Tim Watts, an Australian member of parliament, told TPM's Josh Marshall on Twitter that he has received several fundraising emails from the Trump campaign, and that he believes all Australian members of parliament have gotten the emails as well.

It is illegal for American political campaigns to either solicit or receive campaign donations from foreign nationals. I'd guess that goes double for foreign nationals who are members of foreign governments.

The Trump campaign had a bad fundraising month in May and Trump is now bragging unconvincingly about his June fundraising. So what's going on here?

quote:
Now, you're likely asking: what on Earth is going on here? Obviously, it is strictly against US election law to receive campaign contributions from foreign nationals. I suspect knowingly soliciting them is likely also illegal. And when you're soliciting money from foreign parliamentarians it's probably a pretty good bet they're not US citizens. But obviously, as big as a buffoon as Trump is, and as crooked as he is, there's no possible way his campaign is intentionally soliciting small donor contributions from members of foreign parliaments. Somehow this must be incompetence in how they bought their email solicitation lists. But how?

Candidly I didn't know you could easily buy the email list of all members of the Icelandic parliament. But it seems like you can.

Now a few people suggested that maybe someone was just pranking Trump - going to the website and signing up various foreign parliamentarians and dignitaries. But this seems far too systematic for that. It does appear to be every member of each parliament. You'd need to collect each email and then manually add them in on the Trump website, somehow get them to confirm the opt-in confirmation email. It's too complicated. These are lists that were almost certainly added from within the campaign.

The only plausible answer seems to be that the Trump campaign either dealt with a sloppy or disreputable list broker or was so desperate after its horrible May FEC report was released that it went to a broker and just said they wanted every list and they'd sort it all out later. I confess that both scenarios seem a little farfetched. But some version of one of them basically had to happen, unless there's a prankster actually inside the campaign.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It is illegal for American political campaigns to either solicit or receive campaign donations from foreign nationals.

Not quite. Permanent Residents (green card holders) may donate to political campaigns, be solicited for such donations, and so on.

It would be challenging for someone to maintain permanent residency in the US whilst being an MP in a different country.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

These foreign MPs are better people than I am. I would have contributed, and THEN squealed. Knowing -- even without knowing the details of US law -- that this would make easier for US law enforcement to bring charges against him.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

The fact you were answering a question that states:

quote:

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very very good stuff on foreign donors. Tim Watts is a labor MP, so he's likely to be sympathetic to a request from Trump. That's not sarcastic. There is no hidden meaning.

What chance the list-seller is a Trump company? He keeps everything else in-house.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So if Trump is dialing for dollars in the forbidden zone, but doing so through "the campaign" rather than in any direct way-- what are the potential legal consequences? Would most of them fall upon the campaign itself, rather than on Trump personally?

Several commentators are building a compelling case for the whole campaign being nothing more than a money-making scheme-- something I suspected all along although not in the particular way it seems to have played out. If Trump really has no interest in actually doing the dirty work of being president, but is in this for some ulterior motive, does he stand to lose anything from approaching foreign nationals for a handout?

So much for his claim of not being beholden to special interests...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you think the child rape charges against Trump should be ignored? Reported? Discussed? Shouted from the rooftops?

Do you think they will have any effect on anything? Or is the weapons-grade plum immune even from that?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I doubt it will make any difference (though certainly it should). His supporters don't seem to care about anything.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Josephine--

OMG. The press should absolutely investigate--keeping in mind that they shouldn't do anything that would hinder a court case. (E.g., they should avoid *salacious* style.)

And law enforcement should investigate, too, if they're not already--making sure to do it by the book, so there's no hint of a political agenda.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

The wheels are coming off in more ways than one.

I suspect that those who are foolish enough to speak for him at the GOP convention will be doing rather more damage to their future political ambitions. A lot are planning to stay away.

Ah well. Family members will just have to make longer speeches.

On Josephine's link to the Huffpost article I note it is written, carefully, by a lawyer. I feel sure that the claims and the claimants are being scrutinized very carefully by the media. Rather more carefully than the very silly James Dobson scrutinized his sources - and even his own earlier statements.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
Do you think the child rape charges against Trump should be ignored? Reported? Discussed? Shouted from the rooftops?

Do you think they will have any effect on anything? Or is the weapons-grade plum immune even from that?

Given that it happened around 25 years ago, I expect the case is likely to be dismissed on statute-of-limitations grounds. There will be a few cries of indignation and then it will be forgotten. Law enforcement will probably not bother to investigate.

Nevertheless, some enterprising investigative journalist might do some deep digging and find info that keeps the issue alive in the public square even if it is dead in the courts. How likely is that, though? The current crop of political reporters do not seem especially gifted with initiative, much less time to pursue loose ends.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I doubt it will make any difference (though certainly it should). His supporters don't seem to care about anything.

quote:
"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by fausto:
Some enterprising investigative journalist might do some deep digging . . . .

Do they even exist anymore?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Tch. I say unto you, Bengazi! If there is the smell of something, they will dig. Journalists are like sharks; the tinge of blood in the water is enough to get things churning. Pulitzer Prizes are made of this.

However. I am suspicious of very old and flashily-scurrilous charges dug out like this. Yes, the statue of limitations is long past. There are many more current and useful things to be pointed out about Trump (the thing about accepting money from foreign governments is not only sedition but current, with a nice long digital trail). You have to dig in mines that have ore in them; if there's no gold in them thar hills it's not worth it.

I would not be astonished if this went just as far as the idea of Obama's Muslim Caliphate. (Which he had better get moving on; it's July. He has only half a year left to crush the Constitution under his iron heel and usher in Sharia Law.) Just a red rag to wave.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Given that it happened around 25 years ago, I expect the case is likely to be dismissed on statute-of-limitations grounds. There will be a few cries of indignation and then it will be forgotten. Law enforcement will probably not bother to investigate.

If I read the complaint correctly, the rape is alleged to have happened in New York. While the statute of limitations for a civil action brought by the victim may have passed, there is no statute of limitations for criminal rape charges in New York.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

A handy chart detailing the statute of limitations for various offenses in the state of New York, and a link to the relevant law.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Thanks for the clarification. The issue is also dealt with in the lawsuit itself. Paras 22-26 apply. That link was embedded in Josephine's original link.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boy do I hope those charges are seriously investigated, but the mainstream media are so carefully not saying a thing despite the sensational nature. I wonder if they're worried of being sued. Sadly, I fear it'll be her word against his, and he's bigger, so I suspect nothing will happen. And if nothing happens, the media don't seem to plan to cover it, so I fear I don't think it will influence anyone.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Boy do I hope those charges are seriously investigated, but the mainstream media are so carefully not saying a thing despite the sensational nature. I wonder if they're worried of being sued. Sadly, I fear it'll be her word against his, and he's bigger, so I suspect nothing will happen. And if nothing happens, the media don't seem to plan to cover it, so I fear I don't think it will influence anyone.

If there proves to be any credibility to the claims, I suspect the media more aligned and favored by left-wing Americans will probably cover it extensively. Then the right-wing media will tout how it's a witch hunt and the lefties are persecuting poor, misunderstood Trump, etc etc.

Which is the problem-- the polarization not just of America, but of the media. Indeed, it's to some degree a chicken-and-egg phenomenon. So Americans will listen to the media that confirms their beliefs, and the echo-chamber continues.

What would be a game-changer would be if some outfit such as Fox News would cover the scandal. I'm not holding my breath.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A handy chart detailing the statute of limitations for various offenses in the state of New York, and a link to the relevant law.

That chart shows the statute of limitations for criminal cases. The pending case against Trump is a civil case between private parties, though, not a criminal prosecution by law enforcement. That's why the complaint included arguments why the ordinary statute of limitations should be "tolled" (i. e., measured in such a way that it has not yet run out).

It would not surprise me if the court were to deny the request to toll the statute of limitations, and dismiss the case on those grounds.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If there proves to be any credibility to the claims, I suspect the media more aligned and favored by left-wing Americans will probably cover it extensively. Then the right-wing media will tout how it's a witch hunt and the lefties are persecuting poor, misunderstood Trump, etc etc.

And, if the media and/or the Democrats give the allegations significant play, you can expect the words "Juanita Broaddrick" to become the veritable slogan of the Trump campaign.

Of course, what Broaddrick alleges is unprovable at this point, but then, the allegations against Trump probably are to, or at least won't be proven before November.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

And, if the media and/or the Democrats give the allegations significant play, you can expect the words "Juanita Broaddrick" to become the veritable slogan of the Trump campaign.

Of course, what Broaddrick alleges is unprovable at this point, but then, the allegations against Trump probably are to, or at least won't be proven before November.

Oh, there will surely be all sorts of nasty mudslinging before this is over. Nevertheless, if indeed there is any substance to the Jane Doe allegations, dredging up Broaddrick hardly balances the scale. First, she was an adult, not a minor, at the time of the alleged incident. Second, she filed a sworn affidavit in the Paula Jones case stating that she was not raped. Third, at the time of the alleged incident, she was in fact having an illicit extramarital affair with yet another man, whom she later divorced her then-husband to marry. Fourth, the public has already heard everything there is to hear about Bill's philandering, but they re-elected him anyway. Fifth, Hillary is not Bill, and even if all the allegations against both Bill and Donald were true, unlike the other two she never raped anybody.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

That chart shows the statute of limitations for criminal cases. The pending case against Trump is a civil case between private parties, though, not a criminal prosecution by law enforcement. That's why the complaint included arguments why the ordinary statute of limitations should be "tolled" (i. e., measured in such a way that it has not yet run out).
Right, and I noted the civil/criminal distinction in my post, which seems to be what prompted Crœsos's post. But part of what I was responding to was the suggestion that no law enforcement investigation would be undertaken because the statute of limitations had run. The point is simply that no statute of limitations would prevent a criminal investigation and indictment, should law enforcement otherwise be inclined to pursue the allegations. (Whether credible evidence exists after all these years is, of course, another matter.)

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also, as Croesus implies, I imagine that if she can show with good evidence that she was prevented from bring the suit before by duress, the judge may let her bring her suit now.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Well, now Trump is talking about Mexican planes attacking the US!

"Donald Trump Warns That A Plane Flying Over New Hampshire Might Be Mexico Ready To Attack" (HuffPost).

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Nick--

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
But part of what I was responding to was the suggestion that no law enforcement investigation would be undertaken because the statute of limitations had run. The point is simply that no statute of limitations would prevent a criminal investigation and indictment, should law enforcement otherwise be inclined to pursue the allegations. (Whether credible evidence exists after all these years is, of course, another matter.)

(Italics mine.)

Maybe I'm dense today...but how would/could they do that if the statute has run out?

Thx.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to links posted earlier, the limit had been exceeded for a civil case, but not a criminal one.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
According to links posted earlier, the limit had been exceeded for a civil case, but not a criminal one.

Right—there is no statute of limitations for a criminal case.

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since some people are so unhappy with their choices in this election, let me ask: in each party, out of all available eligible individuals--not just those who ran in the primary season--who would you ideally have running in this election?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am tell that Barack Obama spoke before the Canadian Parliament the other day. They broke into a chant: "Four more years! Four more years!" There's my choice.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016