homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 80)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yup! And that, now, she's fighting for Hillary, so her girls will know that a woman can be president.
[Smile]

ETA: And I don't think I've ever seen her like she was tonight--no first lady reserve.

[ 26. July 2016, 02:33: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If Elizabeth Warren wants to drop all this Washington jazz, she'd make a damn good minister.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm. I could see that.

She and Bernie both gave good speeches. And both--especially Bernie--were very good about gradually bringing everyone together. And B evidently e-mailed his followers and told them not to boo tonight.

If the Dems can keep this basic feeling for the rest of the week, they'll be doing well.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Michelle Obama just made the greatest speech at the DNC. The crowd went wild after she said that she lives in a house built by slaves and she can look out the window and see her daughters playing in the yard with their dog. [Tear]

Yes, I understand her speech this week at the DNC was much better than her speech last week at the RNC. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hee! I kept waiting for someone to say something like that. It's too bad the conventions don't have hosts like the Oscars. Billy Crystal or Jon Stewart would have had so much great material. Better yet, Chris Rock.

[ 26. July 2016, 04:59: Message edited by: Twilight ]

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Stephen Colbert does very apt and funny commentary on the conventions on his "Late Show" on CBS. You can see clips on the CBS site.

Oh, and Jon Stewart's showed up to rant, a time or two. Once was towards the end of last week, during the RNC.

[ 26. July 2016, 05:33: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They are both brilliant, although the Late Show format is horrible. Why the hell do they have a bloody band, and why must the dude playing the piano make little comments all the time. And as for the quality of the guests - woeful.

Anyway, I came on to draw people's attention to this satirical piece on Trump's Toupee.

Dad's Army

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Michelle Obama is classy. Nobody in their right mind would use that word to describe the Donald.

It was an excellent, very effective, convention speech. And here is a thoughtful analysis of its significance.

But I think it's going to take more than that to mollify some of Bernie's supporters at the convention. It looks as though some of them reckon that Trump in the White House would aid their cause in 2020. And it may also be true that there is so much momentum behind the Bernie movement that not even Bernie will be able to stop it. There is talk of walk outs and further demonstrations.

It's going to be interesting to see how this factor gets addressed during the convention. It can't be ducked. It can't be minimised as an over-reaction by "losers". The Democrats now have an Angry Brigade at the convention and will need to address their concerns directly if their support in November is to be regained.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
They are both brilliant, although the Late Show format is horrible. Why the hell do they have a bloody band, and why must the dude playing the piano make little comments all the time. And as for the quality of the guests - woeful.

The band and comments are traditional with American late-night talk shows. Track down an episode of NBC's "Tonight Show", from the years when Johnny Carson hosted. Doc Severinsen led the band, and interacted with Johnny.

If, by "the quality of the guests" on the "Late Show", you mean "able to conduct an interesting conversation about more than their social life", that varies quite a bit. There are guests that aren't in show biz. And some that are have really interesting things to say. But most of our TV talks shows' guests have a movie, TV show, recording, or book coming out soon. Sometimes, they're on for only a few minutes, just to show a clip of the film and then leave.

If you want TV talk shows with less fluff, you might try Charlie Rose or Tavis Smiley.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I think it's going to take more than that to mollify some of Bernie's supporters at the convention. It looks as though some of them reckon that Trump in the White House would aid their cause in 2020.

Yup. The (mostly) young white men who love Bernie are so angry at Clinton, DWS, and the rest of the party machinery that they can hardly think straight.

Clinton needs to reach out to them. She needs to acknowledge their anger and their fear, and find a way for *them* to save face, just like she did for her long-term friend DWS.

I'm afraid she's not going to. I don't think she sees them or understands them. I hope I'm wrong. Because I think there are enough of them, and they're passionate enough, that they can make a difference in November. And they're young and foolish enough that it's easy for them to believe that voting for Trump now is a viable long-term strategy for a better future.

She needs to show that she cares about their future. Not just the future of people who are already well connected and powerful, but for them, too.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I spend my days conjuring up convolute scenarios, so my first thought is whether the nastier Bernie Bros are moles from someplace else. If not the GOP then Russians.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
Because I think there are enough of them, and they're passionate enough, that they can make a difference in November. And they're young and foolish enough that it's easy for them to believe that voting for Trump now is a viable long-term strategy for a better future.

The first sentence is an example of how you might connect with Sanders supporters.

The second is how you make Sanders supporters feel that they are being condescended to by a party elite who think they know so much better than these young punks ever will.

When I went to my caucus meeting, I was concerned that there was going to be a stark divide between the white men supporting Sanders and the rest of the crowd supporting Clinton. This was not the case. It was a diverse crowd for both candidates. Are the people causing the most noise white men? I'm not there to know. Are Sanders' most passionate supporters mostly white men? Not at all.

I do not deny that some Sanders supporters need to be cool. I saw that someone had scrawled "Bernie!" on a Hilary sticker on a car on my way to work yesterday. Not cool.

I thought the smartest think Bernie did in his speech last night was point out how Clinton had worked with him to adopt some of his ideas into her platform. That was why I caucused for Bernie in the first place. I never thought he would win. I just wanted the party to know that if you run a candidate who isn't scared to bring up progressive ideas, people will get behind that candidate. Maybe that would inspire Clinton to be a bit bolder with her platform.

Did it get us a call for universal health care, which is what I really wanted? Unfortunately not. But hopefully the message is clear, that people will support ideas, not just "we are less scary than the Republicans." Maybe some of these people who are mad now will show up in the midterms, and run for office.

I have attended caucuses as both a Republican and a Democrat in my time. Republican caucuses are neat, tidy, and orderly. Democratic caucuses are chaotic, headache inducing, and frustrating. But that is because there is a lot of passion out there. Part of me thinks that maybe we should just accept last night as what happens when a bunch of Democrats get together in the same room.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
King Og wrote:

King Og wrote:

quote:
I do not deny that some Sanders supporters need to be cool. I saw that someone had scrawled "Bernie!" on a Hilary sticker on a car on my way to work yesterday. Not cool.

In fairness, petty vandalism of campaign advertising(usually signs) is carried out by miscreants across the political spectrum, all over the democratic world. Guaranteed Hillary supporters have done roughly the same thing to Bernie propaganda.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
Yup. The (mostly) young white men who love Bernie are so angry at Clinton, DWS, and the rest of the party machinery that they can hardly think straight.

Bernie's promise was a different kind of politics. He presented as an honest man of principles. The recent revelations of dirty tricks by DWS and the DCC cabal don't sit well with that at all, and frankly act to confirm and re-emphasize the accusations of cronyism against the Clintons.

Which means that what Hillary has to offer now is more or less "I have no honor and have scummy friends, but I'm not Donald Trump, and I've adopted some policies that you might like". I am reminded of the French elections 15 or so years ago when the left urged people to vote for the crook (Chirac) rather than the fascist (Le Pen).

[ 26. July 2016, 15:38: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Learning wrote:

quote:
I am reminded of the French elections 15 or so years ago when the left urged people to vote for the crook (Chirac) rather than the fascist (Le Pen).

Good reference. Though I think the desperate slogan "Vote for the crook; it's important" was actually from the Louisiana gubernatorial race involving Edwin Edwards and(current Trump booster) David Duke.

Was Chirac ever proven to be a literal crook? I know Edwards did at least one actual jail stint.

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Louisiana election slogan, I believe, was more poetic than that: "Vote for the Lizard, not the Wizard."

Folks from Louisiana that I have known tend to have a pretty good sense of humor about the history of corruption in the state's political system. There is at least one large highway bridge over the Mississippi upriver from New Orleans that people will point out as a well-known pet project that got several people sent to jail. Could any other state's corruption could give us the great American political novel? (Maybe Alaska could give them a run for their money.)

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Double post to say, it looks like both were used.

(Edit to correct "cross post" with "double post." My edits are getting a little meta.)

[ 26. July 2016, 16:24: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I believe both slogans were in use, at least unofficially.

A billboard

I can't find any specimen of the Reptile Vs. Alchemist phraseology, though I do recall hearing it cited.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

This is getting meta-meta now. Anyway, cross-posted.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:

Was Chirac ever proven to be a literal crook? I know Edwards did at least one actual jail stint.

Yes.

And don't imagine that this covers all of M. Chirac's activities.

Oh, and here's the "vote for the crook, not the fascist" slogan in use.

[ 26. July 2016, 16:38: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
If Elizabeth Warren wants to drop all this Washington jazz, she'd make a damn good minister.

I also thought Corey Booker was doing a fine job bringing the preaching, towards the end of his speech.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A guy who is totally unclear on the concept of the division between church and state.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Biblically friendly? Why then it must support Jesus' political agenda. Let's see, what was that again?

The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has annointed me:

• to preach good news to the poor
  • to proclaim release to the captives
  • and recovery of sight to the blind
  • to set at liberty those who are oppressed
  • and to proclaim the year of Lord's favor

Which of these does the Republican platform do?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

mt--

All of them, if you accept Trump as your personal and national savior.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

BTW, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is speaking tonight. [Smile] Judging from her e-mail, via Hillary's mailing list, she's probably going to focus on international policy.

quote:
Donald Trump simply has no credibility or standing to represent American interests abroad. His small-minded, unstable temperament, his shocking incoherence regarding the norms and details of foreign policy, and his dangerous ideology are all completely disqualifying.

Trump barely understood the Brexit decision, which sent ripples of economic anxiety and nationalist sentiment across Europe. He believes more, not fewer, nations should acquire nuclear weapons. He praises authoritarians like Vladimir Putin. He thinks people like President Obama and Hillary are to blame for the rise of ISIS and the collapse of Libya. He considers NATO -- a bedrock alliance dating back to 1949 -- a security agreement we could casually withdraw from or renegotiate unilaterally. Just this weekend, he talked about leaving the World Trade Organization as well.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And when he needs an expert to expound his foreign policy, he has a reality TV star right on hand!

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
mt--

I think it comes with a tin of Turkish Delight as well...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
mt--

Like Edmund, in Narnia, accepting the White Queen's Turkish Delight?
[Help]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
mt--

Like Edmund, in Narnia, accepting the White Queen's Turkish Delight?
[Help]

That's what I was going for...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
BTW, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is speaking tonight. [Smile] Judging from her e-mail, via Hillary's mailing list, she's probably going to focus on international policy.

quote:
Donald Trump simply has no credibility or standing to represent American interests abroad. His small-minded, unstable temperament, his shocking incoherence regarding the norms and details of foreign policy, and his dangerous ideology are all completely disqualifying.

Trump barely understood the Brexit decision, which sent ripples of economic anxiety and nationalist sentiment across Europe. He believes more, not fewer, nations should acquire nuclear weapons. He praises authoritarians like Vladimir Putin. He thinks people like President Obama and Hillary are to blame for the rise of ISIS and the collapse of Libya. He considers NATO -- a bedrock alliance dating back to 1949 -- a security agreement we could casually withdraw from or renegotiate unilaterally. Just this weekend, he talked about leaving the World Trade Organization as well.

Dear United States of America:

When it comes to diplomacy, you deserve nothing but the best.

Why settle for Donald Trump? Think about it.

In neighbourly love,

Canada.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yup! And that, now, she's fighting for Hillary, so her girls will know that a woman can be president.
[Smile]

Helen Clark, Prime Minister of NZ from 1999-2008 was once asked by a small by if men could be Prime Minister too.
[Smile]

I heard part of Michelle Obama's speech and thought, "At least the Republicans won't be plagiarising this one."

[ 27. July 2016, 02:19: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Watching Bill Clinton giving a keynote speech about Hillary. He's in good form, focused on her, and holding himself back.

He started way back when they met in law school, continued with their story (focused on her), and told the many, many good things Hillary's done, including a lot of civil rights work.

Not my place to say; but this speech is so good that it might just make up for a lot of what he put her through.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Brenda wrote:

quote:
In late October or early November I am going to review a book, over in the blog I post on. It will be a review of The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. If you have read it, you will know why I plan to review it then, and what I'm going to say.

I never found that a particularly convincing dystopia. Mostly because it posits that theocrats have taken over the USA by imposing a military dictatosrship at the federal level. Whereas, by contrast, American right-wingers have always been about radically decentralizing power, thus allowing local(and presumbaly more conservative) governments to fill the void left by the abdication of the federal government.

If, for example, Roe Vs. Wade were overturned, the likely result wouldn't be the banning of abortion by the federal government, but rather individual states being allowed to ban abortion free of SCOTUS intervention. I think the closest there has recently been to "moral" legislation passed by Washington was the DOMA, which wasn't on the books for long, and which was in fact opposed by some conservatives(albeit not in Congress) for the reasons outlined here.

A more plausible US dystopia would have seen the federal government abolish itself, and conservative states all descending into petty theocracies, unencumbered by the Bill Of Rights. But I think Atwood was probably unduly influenced by the Canadian and British political traditions, where people are more accustomed to laws being made by the national government.

Been a while, but I remember the change in government happened after some nuclear catastrophe, and that various states did indeed break off into seperate entities, as you describe. The handmaid didn't live in the USA, she was a resident of a state or a confederation of states that embraced theocracy and called itself the Republic of somethingorother incredibly jingoistic, or whatever. There were references to skirmishes at former state borders.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I heard part of Michelle Obama's speech and thought, "At least the Republicans won't be plagiarising this one."

Maybe, though given Donald Trump's unwillingness to pay workers I wouldn't be surprised to hear Melania going on about waking up every morning in a house that was built by slaves. Might be received somewhat differently, though.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

Bernie's promise was a different kind of politics. He presented as an honest man of principles.

Who never got a damn thing done in 25 years in the Senate. Who was only taken seriously as a candidate because he decided to run as a Democrat. Who couldn't even say how he would accomplish one of his big talking points, breaking up big banks.

A politician who can't get anything done is different how?

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought Bill Clinton made a very good speech last night. The "real v cartoon" point was made beautifully and, for me, just at the right time. I was thinking where is he going with this long, affectionate, summary of things Hillary had done to effect change.

And following Michelle Obama's most effective point, he took the high ground, never aimed low.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
it might just make up for a lot of what he put her through.

Which is really between her, him and God. It sickens me that Donald Trump (of all people) would continue to raise it. It's time we stopped.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Donald's specialty is sickening. One of the reasons I yearn for November is that there will be a day, at last, when I no longer hear his name.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Donald's specialty is sickening. One of the reasons I yearn for November is that there will be a day, at last, when I no longer hear his name.

Unless he decides to sue after he loses, which seems to be his usual modus operandi. Anything to keep his name in the news.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It appears Trump has just publicaly encouraged Russia to hack email servers, is this legal ... .?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Been a while, but I remember the change in government happened after some nuclear catastrophe, and that various states did indeed break off into seperate entities, as you describe. The handmaid didn't live in the USA, she was a resident of a state or a confederation of states that embraced theocracy and called itself the Republic of somethingorother incredibly jingoistic, or whatever. There were references to skirmishes at former state borders.

Ah, okay. Couple of things...

As I recall, it wasn't a nuclear war, but an epidemic of some sort that caused the cataclysm that led to the military takeover. I think at the time the mass illness was generally interpreted as a reference to AIDS.

And I didn't recall that the Republic Of Gilead just one breakaway part of a fractured USA; I thought it was the whole USA gone theocratic. I could be wrong about that, though.

I still think it says something that Atwood needed to posit a major catastrophe followed by a military coup in order to get her dystopia up and running. In contrast to, say, Orwell, who only had to use the known outcome of World War(ascendant USA dominating the old British Empire; Russia dominating eastern Europe) to create a plausible geopolitical situation. (Though there are others things about 1984 that I do find quite implausible, such as how the leaders of the Party are self-consciously evil.)

Another thing that didn't really ring true about Gilead was that the theocrats were anti-Catholic, whereas in fact conservative Catholics had been in strong alliance with the US religious right for some time by the time that book was written. Kudos to Atwood for being aware of the history of sectarian animosity.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

According to the plot summary at the novel's wiki page, it would seem that Gilead was in fact the whole of the USA. (Can't get the link to work)

[ 27. July 2016, 18:43: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
According to the plot summary at the novel's wiki page, it would seem that Gilead was in fact the whole of the USA.

I seem to remember Gilead being at war with more than one neighbour. Quickly skimming the 'lecture' at the end it talks about 'Gileadic civil wars'. Maine is explicitly within Gilead.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
It appears Trump has just publicaly encouraged Russia to hack email servers, is this legal ... .?

This is now the lead headline on the BBC news website.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:

What I read was that he said Russia should "find the missing e-mails", which doesn't like a direct incitement to hacking. But I'm not sure what he means by "missing" or "find". If he means they've already been hacked, but haven't been seen yet, I guess he's not calling for a hack.

But if he means they're missing because they haven't been hacked, it would seem he is calling for a hack.

Either way, it's pretty reckless talk, and has not been broadly contradicted by his own VP candidate.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Any bets on whether GOP will use it to tip him off the ticket leaving Pence as the presidential nominee ?

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

When discussing the recent hacking of the DNC e-mails, allegedly by the Russian government, Trump had this to say:

quote:
Why do I have to (ph) get involved with Putin? I have nothing to do with Putin. I've never spoken to him. I don't know anything about him other than he will respect me. He doesn't respect our president. And if it is Russia -- which it's probably not, nobody knows who it is -- but if it is Russia, it's really bad for a different reason, because it shows how little respect they have for our country, when they would hack into a major party and get everything. But it would be interesting to see -- I will tell you this -- Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 e-mails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press. Let's see if that happens. That'll be next.
With his usual lack of attention to detail Trump is conflating the actual hacking of the DNC's e-mail with the various nothingburger 'scandals' around Clinton's State Department e-mails. (As far as anyone knows, Clinton's controversial server was never hacked.)

What got my attention was this statement immediately prior:

quote:
Let me tell you, it's not even about Russia or China or whoever it is that's doing the hacking. It was about the things that were said in those e-mails. They were terrible things, talking about Jewish, talking about race, talking about atheist, trying to pin labels on people -- what was said was a disgrace, and it was Debbie Wasserman Schultz, and believe me, as sure as you're sitting there, Hillary Clinton knew about it. She knew everything.
Mr. Trump has rather famously claimed he has no time for political correctness and has publicly called all Mexicans rapists and all Muslims terrorists. Now he has the audacity to clutch his pearls and call for the fainting couch because someone was "trying to pin labels on people" in a private e-mail.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

quote:
Why do I have to (ph) get involved with Putin? I have nothing to do with Putin. I've never spoken to him. I don't know anything about him other than he will respect me. He doesn't respect our president. And if it is Russia -- which it's probably not, nobody knows who it is -- but if it is Russia, it's really bad for a different reason, because it shows how little respect they have for our country, when they would hack into a major party and get everything. But it would be interesting to see -- I will tell you this -- Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 e-mails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press. Let's see if that happens. That'll be next.
quote:
Let me tell you, it's not even about Russia or China or whoever it is that's doing the hacking. It was about the things that were said in those e-mails. They were terrible things, talking about Jewish, talking about race, talking about atheist, trying to pin labels on people -- what was said was a disgrace, and it was Debbie Wasserman Schultz, and believe me, as sure as you're sitting there, Hillary Clinton knew about it. She knew everything.

Can anyone translate all that into comprehensible English please, or is there something wrong with my brain this evening?

Is Donald Trump always that incoherent?

[ 27. July 2016, 22:09: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Is Donald Trump always that incoherent?

The world may be about to find out.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Any bets on whether GOP will use it to tip him off the ticket leaving Pence as the presidential nominee ?

I'll bet $100 on it NOT happening.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016