homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 64)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
In cabinet papers released this morning it was revealed that PM Keating did not want a directly elected President because the people might elect someone inappropriate. As it happened, the proposal to become a republic went down in a screaming heap, but how right Keating was. If only the US Founding Fathers had such foresight, although to be fair to them they were entering a brave new world.

We don't have a direct election for President...
No, but the results are almost always the same as if you did. (Though this particular POTUS is one of the exceptions, so not an example that proves Keating's point.)
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
quote:
In cabinet papers released this morning it was revealed that PM Keating did not want a directly elected President because the people might elect someone inappropriate. As it happened, the proposal to become a republic went down in a screaming heap, but how right Keating was. If only the US Founding Fathers had such foresight, although to be fair to them they were entering a brave new world.

We don't have a direct election for President...
No, but the results are almost always the same as if you did.
60% this century. Guess we're on a lucky streak, considering...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He did it. He actually did it:

quote:
Trump to North Korean leader Kim: My ‘Nuclear Button’ is ‘much bigger & more powerful’
WTF?!?!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh well, that's the chances of peace in Israel/Palestine completely scorched then.

Palestinians have been saying for years that Israel and allies are not serious about the two-state solution and the negotiations necessary to set up a functioning Palestinian state, and now Trump has ripped off the plaster to show it is true.

My guess is now that the Palestinian Authority will fold, the UNWRA (UN refugee agency) will be plunged into an impossible economic hole and many Palestinians will be forced into a fresh hell. Israel will be forced to take complete military and civil control of the West Bank causing.. who knows what. 2018 is going to be very difficult.

--------------------
arse

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two minutes to midnight. Lord have mercy.

With Kim and Trump vying for the "most unstable leader" title this could actually be the first year in which nuclear weapons are used in anger since Nagasaki.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does feel rather as if Trump is deliberately trying to upset situations where there is an uneasy truce (Israel/Palestine, Pakistan, N Korea) to tip them into actual war. Quite what good he thinks will result, I cannot compute.

--------------------
arse

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he gets involved in a war it is unlikely that he will be removed from power

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Oh well, that's the chances of peace in Israel/Palestine completely scorched then.

Palestinians have been saying for years that Israel and allies are not serious about the two-state solution and the negotiations necessary to set up a functioning Palestinian state, and now Trump has ripped off the plaster to show it is true.

My guess is now that the Palestinian Authority will fold, the UNWRA (UN refugee agency) will be plunged into an impossible economic hole and many Palestinians will be forced into a fresh hell. Israel will be forced to take complete military and civil control of the West Bank causing....

...much creaming of underpants amongst the bottom half of US evangelicalism?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
If he gets involved in a war it is unlikely that he will be removed from power

Indeed. Wars - especially ones taking place a long way away and/or against people who are very different to us - almost always lead to an increase in popularity for the leader of the country. Bush in Iraq and Thatcher in the Falklands being two good examples.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And rumours of wars. Business as usual.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
[...] With Kim and Trump vying for the "most unstable leader" title this could actually be the first year in which nuclear weapons are used in anger since Nagasaki.

Anger? Now? I don't think so. Needless stupidity, mindless arrogance, more likely.

The situation in August 1945 was very much different. And if anything, it helped finish the war, even at the terrible cost we know. Imitators beware!

quote:
[...] Lord have mercy. [...]

Amen. [Votive]

[ 03. January 2018, 12:39: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It does feel rather as if Trump is deliberately trying to upset situations where there is an uneasy truce (Israel/Palestine, Pakistan, N Korea) to tip them into actual war. Quite what good he thinks will result, I cannot compute.

He thinks "And then they will all buy weapons from American companies, resulting in PROFIT$ and increased jobs in the USA. And I can use their need for our guns to leverage trade deals for even more U.S. PROFIT$ and I will be hailed the Greatest American President because of all the PROFIT$ I have made for companies (especially with tax breaks and all). And, yeah, so all these glorious PROFIT$ are at the expense of death and misery and destruction, but that is a small price to pay for PROFIT$. Besides, all that destruction will eventually lead to rebuilding, meaning More Jobs! I'll be hailed as the Savior of the World Economy because of all the PROFIT$ I have made possible!"

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no - there are too many Long Words in there...the Great Genitalia Grabber couldn't manage anything so coherent.

And, in any case, PROFIT$ would be of little use in the nuclear winter caused by what the two Big Button-holding infantile tyrants have on their respective tables.

God help us. You really could not make it up.

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Two minutes to midnight. Lord have mercy.

With Kim and Trump vying for the "most unstable leader" title this could actually be the first year in which nuclear weapons are used in anger since Nagasaki.

No it couldn't.

And spot on Hedgehog. He's right of course. The most dangerous nuclear weapons are Pakistan's of course. Now he's pulled the plug.

[ 03. January 2018, 13:31: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the USA is playing 'there is a maniac in the White House'.

Nixon and Kissinger played that game with the Chinese in the late 60s. With some success. The only real difference is that this time there really is a maniac in the White House. But his red button simply takes him to a PS4 virtual reality. Not too many people know that yet, the game wouldn't work if they did.

Keep calm folks.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish a White House electrician could slip into the Oval Office and re-wire his bigliest nuclear button so that, like the famous button on his desk, all it would do is have a minion bring him another Diet Coke.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I think the USA is playing 'there is a maniac in the White House'.

Nixon and Kissinger played that game with the Chinese in the late 60s. With some success. The only real difference is that this time there really is a maniac in the White House.

There's another big difference. The goal of the Nixon maniac gambit was to decrease uncertainty in international relations. It's sort of the equivalent of throwing your steering wheel out the window in a game of chicken. Yes, the consequences are dire if the other guy doesn't swerve, but a point of uncertainty is eliminated from the system. (i.e. Nixon is crazy enough to follow through on his saber-rattling, so caution is warranted.) Trump's maniac gambit (if it is a gambit) seems geared towards increasing uncertainty in America's foreign relations. (i.e. Trump seems randomly pissy, so now we have to guess what he's being pissy about.)

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The New York Times (that will cost you one of your monthly clicks- you could probably find the same information about the nuclear strike process for free elsewhere) has helpfully explained that there is no "button" on the President's desk, and that it is highly unlikely that Kim has one on his desk- a North Korean strike would probably take days to initiate.

(Tomorrow's NYT pay through link- "Oh, you mean the Creature. Frankenstein is the inventor, and it's up to you to decide who the 'Monster' is...")

And no mention of the MOST DISHONEST AND CORRUPT MEDIA AWARDS OF THE YEAR? Terrifying assault on the press aside, this is high comedy. Not only the terrible phrasing (so are the awards or the media the most dishonest and corrupt?). This sounds like the kind of lame stunt that the college Republicans pull once a semester to try to remind everyone that they are the actual campus counter-culture. My money says it was actually Hope Hicks or Sarah Huckabee-Sanders who came up with this one, and that their interns will be working this week to get the tweets ready. The POTUS, of course, will be happy to take credit for it.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:

quote:
Trump to North Korean leader Kim: My ‘Nuclear Button’ is ‘much bigger & more powerful’
WTF?!?!
with Trump it's always about "mine's bigger".

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
The New York Times (that will cost you one of your monthly clicks- you could probably find the same information about the nuclear strike process for free elsewhere) has helpfully explained that there is no "button" on the President's desk, and that it is highly unlikely that Kim has one on his desk- a North Korean strike would probably take days to initiate.

I think KJU was basing his warning on one-too-many readings of Cold War-era political cartoons, where "the button" was always shown as being on the desk of the president or General Secretary
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
No, no - there are too many Long Words in there...the Great Genitalia Grabber couldn't manage anything so coherent.

And, in any case, PROFIT$ would be of little use in the nuclear winter caused by what the two Big Button-holding infantile tyrants have on their respective tables.

Agree with the first part, the 2nd part is eliminated for the same reason-- nothing is clearer that Trump-- and indeed pretty much the entire GOP Congressional delegation-- don't think in terms of long game. They're all about the 80s junk bond quick fix. The tax bill, the rolling back of environmental protections-- pretty much every thing in their arsenal shows they aren't particularly worried about the sort of country, much less world, their kids and grandkids will inherit. It's all about the next score.

My take on the "mine's bigger" comment is-- first of all, yes, as HRC noted, Trump is constantly baitable, especially on Twitter, so tweeting "I've got a big big button" is BEGGING for that precise response.

But more interestingly, we had earlier in the day gotten hints that South and North Korea might be moving toward talks-- dare we even hope some sort of detente/peace treaty? Without the US. Without Trump. A potentially monumental event, a Nobel peace prize in the making (and you KNOW he's gotta get one of those-- he's already month's behind Obama on that count!). And they totally cut him out of the deal. Unacceptable. So gotta engage in a bit of pot stirring to guarantee he gets a seat at the table-- and the photo op.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps I'm whistling past the graveyard, but, I believe that were Trump to be seriously close to initiating a preemptive launch against the DPRK, there would be a praetorian action. I suspect that there is already a Kissinger/Schlesinger arrangement, though I doubt that Tillerson is part of it. Kelly/Mattis would be my guess.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's speculation that Trump's recent tweetstorm, which included but was not limited to his nuclear dick-measuring contest, may have been set off by something happening with the Mueller investigation. There are complaints that Robert Mueller's grand jury has too many black people on it according to "one witness who recently testified before the panel" (i.e. a Trump associate) as reported in the (Rupert Murdoch owned) New York Post.

quote:
“The grand jury room looks like a Bernie Sanders rally,” my source said. “Maybe they found these jurors in central casting, or at a Black Lives Matter rally in Berkeley [Calif.]”

Of the 20 jurors, 11 are African-Americans and two were wearing “peace T-shirts,” the witness said. “There was only one white male in the room, and he was a prosecutor.” Mueller was not present.

<snip>

My source said, “That room isn’t a room where POTUS gets a fair shake.”

Which seems a bit confused because a Bernie Sanders rally and a Black Lives Matter rally would draw fairly different crowds. Sanders' biggest obstacle in the Democratic primaries was his inability to appeal to African-American voters. It's interesting that no one else is willing to go along with Trump's conceit that the Mueller probe isn't investigating him personally.

Illustrating how what James Carville referred to as "the puke funnel" works, the story then jumps to Brian Kilmeade over at the (Rupert Murdoch owned) Fox News Channel, where Kilmeade seems to find it inconceivable that a grand jury convened in Washington, DC (~48% African-American according to census data) would have (allegedly) 11 African-American jurors out of 20 total jurors.

They're not even trying to be subtle about this anymore.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From your keyboard to God's computer screen.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

In another who'd-have-predicted-that move, it appears that the WH is downplaying the involvement of Steve Bannon in Trump's team before and after the election. As of nobody was looking..

In unrelated news, it is said that a soon-to-be-published book will include some explosive quotes from Bannon about Trump.

I do hope this feud continues.

[ 03. January 2018, 18:21: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
In unrelated news, it is said that a soon-to-be-published book will include some explosive quotes from Bannon about Trump.

Maybe it's unrelated, maybe not. For those who are interested New York magazine has a condensed excerpt from the book, as prepared and condensed by author Michael Wolff. A sample:

quote:
Not only did Trump disregard the potential conflicts of his own business deals and real-estate holdings, he audaciously refused to release his tax returns. Why should he? Once he lost, Trump would be both insanely famous and a martyr to Crooked Hillary. His daughter Ivanka and son-in-law Jared would be international celebrities. Steve Bannon would become the de facto head of the tea-party movement. Kellyanne Conway would be a cable-news star. Melania Trump, who had been assured by her husband that he wouldn’t become president, could return to inconspicuously lunching. Losing would work out for everybody. Losing was winning.

Shortly after 8 p.m. on Election Night, when the unexpected trend — Trump might actually win — seemed confirmed, Don Jr. told a friend that his father, or DJT, as he calls him, looked as if he had seen a ghost. Melania was in tears — and not of joy.

There was, in the space of little more than an hour, in Steve Bannon’s not unamused observation, a befuddled Trump morphing into a disbelieving Trump and then into a horrified Trump. But still to come was the final transformation: Suddenly, Donald Trump became a man who believed that he deserved to be, and was wholly capable of being, the president of the United States.

It should be noted that a lot of Wolff's material seems to come from Steve Bannon, who is notoriously unreliable as a source and may or may not have an axe to grind with Donald Trump.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

The best comment I've seen on twitter suggests that Wolff is only interested in Wolff just like Bannon is only interested in Bannon and Trump is only interested in Trump. I'm sure they're all lying.

The fun part is what happens if Trump alienates Bannon and the neo-fascist Breitbart readers.

--------------------
arse

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyin' Don has tweeted: “Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind. … Steve was rarely in a one-on-one meeting with me and only pretends to have had influence to fool a few people with no access and no clue, whom he helped write phony books.”
Over at the Post a columnist suggests that the correct use of the word “whom” suggests someone may have helped him compose the statement. I do love a catty journalist, don't you?
For your continued enjoyment, the Guardian's summary of the Bannon book is a free click.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O dear - what a noisy playground. Is there no handy Nanny, to take these fractious toddlers home?

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nanny needs to be in two places at once, what with Donald and Kim Jong-un now engaged in a "see who can pee highest up the wall" competition over their respective nuclear buttons.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Alas, indeed she does.

Perhaps some old-school Prefects, with flogging powers, are required instead.

[Mad]

IJ

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
For your continued enjoyment, the Guardian's summary of the Bannon book is a free click.

"He's not only crazy, he's stupid".
Now that's a quote (from a longtime billionaire associate of Trump) that hits the nail on the head.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

"He's not only crazy, he's stupid".
Now that's a quote (from a longtime billionaire associate of Trump) that hits the nail on the head.

He's greedy too, which only leaves premeditated evil, but he's too stupid for that.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep waiting for The Doctor to turn up, heal the rift in space and time which has got us here, and send us back to the evening of November 8, 2016.

This is beyond pathetic. No-one is looking good here. And the media has its little jokes on what is being said which makes us feel a bit better. And the Groper in Chief buzzes for another Diet Coke, tweets some inanity and so it continues. FFS. I don't know how you Americans get up every day. Your resistance, and willingness to continue to stand against Trump and hope for 2018, and 2020, is an inspiration. I'd be worn down by now.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody hell.

If this is true...

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Bloody hell.

If this is true...

Put it this way: would you be surprised?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Bloody hell.

If this is true...

Put it this way: would you be surprised?
How gross!! Next thing you know he'll have 22 year old, volunteer White House interns blowing him in the Oval Office!

[Eek!]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This will cost you a Post click, but the dean of DC commentators E.J. Dionne says we're rushing towards a breaking point. Permanent damage is being done to the nation. The tweets of the last few days are surely proof of this.
Among the links he cites are this long piece from Politico which assures us that it's actually worse than what is reported in the press.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When are you going to stop the "but look at him" strategy Romanlion? It works out there, but I don't think it works in here.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
When are you going to stop the "but look at him" strategy Romanlion? It works out there, but I don't think it works in here.

Yeah, not like that would justify removing him from office anyway.

My only strategy is to be an acoustic tile in this cavernous hold.

It only works in here.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here's a fresh horror, that I missed over the holidays. From Vanity Fair:
"In October, [Steve] Bannon called an adviser and said he would consider running for president if Trump doesn’t run for reelection in 2020. Which Bannon has told people is a realistic possibility."

I had not thought a worse president was imaginable! Clearly I am but a neophyte.

Also from the Wolff book, Ivanka wants to run as well. I think this entire country needs to be fumigated and exorcised.

[ 04. January 2018, 01:55: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
My only strategy is to be an acoustic tile in this cavernous hold.

It only works in here.

How do you know that? My perspective is that your contributions to discussions here are effective when you provide current information. Mostly, you don't do that.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:

quote:
WTF?!?!
with Trump it's always about "mine's bigger".
We need to lock them both up, perhaps in Putin's dacha country house, with him in residence. Supply them with all manner of measuring methods from all cultures. Give them war toys, foam bats, etc. Fill the place with food and other supplies. Then go out, lock all the doors, and quietly tiptoe away.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither of them have a clue as to the consequences of their words or actions.

Has there ever been a president fighting so many petty little battles on a small scale ‘tho? - Bannon, the press, the size of crowds etc etc etc

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Bloody hell.

If this is true...

I heard that one of the book excerpts claims that Trump sleeps alone in the WH and has caused some issues with locks which annoyed the Secret Service. It seems like he is rather paranoid.

If all of this is true (and how would we know if it was or wasn't?) - then the picture emerging is of a deeply deeply disturbing individual.

Clinton was bad enough, this is a whole other level of disgusting.

--------------------
arse

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I keep waiting for The Doctor to turn up, heal the rift in space and time which has got us here, and send us back to the evening of November 8, 2016.

{edit}

FFS. I don't know how you Americans get up every day. Your resistance, and willingness to continue to stand against Trump and hope for 2018, and 2020, is an inspiration. I'd be worn down by now.

It would probably take all the Doctor's incarnations--and we'd better be very specific about what we want. E.g., Hillary wins in a landslide, is inaugurated, does a great job, and makes it through 2 terms, inspiring girls everywhere. T loses, realizes that makes him absurdly happy, retires to Mar-a-Lago, and has a tag-team of skilled therapists that he sees weekly--and he begins to get better.

As to how Americans are managing to cope: Sometimes, all you can really to is just focus on your day-to-day stuff. IMHO, that's one of the ways that indigenous people have survived.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
[QUOTE]
As to how Americans are managing to cope: Sometimes, all you can really to is just focus on your day-to-day stuff. IMHO, that's one of the ways that indigenous people have survived.

Without wanting to put a damper on that thought, don't first nations communities often have huge alcohol, drug, suicide and other health problems?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Trump is trying strategies that are rarely if ever tried in post-war international relations. Certainly no-one has tried outright abuse before as a method of resolving an international dispute. If the Koreas do get together and 'normalise' relations, I am inclined to award that to Trump if there is no further intervening cause. I think a rapprochement between North and South is quite possible. If there is a nuclear war over Korea, I will die with a very surprised expression on my face. I still haven't made a will.

If there is peace in the Middle East with Netanyahu in power, I will go swimming naked in the Derwent River in Hobart in the next winter (there's an event). I think the prospects for peace will significantly increase if a more moderate government is able to come to power. I think there is a thirst for peace among a great many Israelis that has been thwarted for a long time. I think Trump's positioning on Jerusalem is largely insignificant other than in excluding America from the peace process. This is the great problem with what he's done, from an American perspective. There are many other countries and international organisations that can foster peace talks. I have no insight into Palestinian attitudes to peace, but I do hold out hope. I would be interested in reading any online resource like Haaretz that has a Palestinian perspective. Please PM me if you can recommend any.

Bugger it. If there is peace between Israel and Palestine I will gladly swim naked in the Derwent River in winter, whoever is in charge. I would be so happy. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. It would be worth at least a hundred Christmases. Lord, may it happen before I die.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bugger it. If there is peace between Israel and Palestine I will gladly swim naked in the Derwent River in winter, whoever is in charge. I would be so happy. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. It would be worth at least a hundred Christmases. Lord, may it happen before I die.

If there is peace between Israel and Palestine I might fly out and join you. It would be wonderful!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I heard that one of the book excerpts claims that Trump sleeps alone in the WH and has caused some issues with locks which annoyed the Secret Service. It seems like he is rather paranoid.

Excerpts are here:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/michael-wolff-fire-and-fury-book-donald-trump.html

Though bear in mind that the author has the reputation for being rather cavalier and imaginative with the truth.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016