homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 50)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I have decluttered (temporarily) some of the family photos, prior to putting Chateau S on the market. I feel bereft! [Waterworks]

Next step is to get rid of the GIN Museum - it's all right, Piglet and Pigwidgeon, the GIN Museum contains only empty GIN bottles! But, they are unusual ones like Twisted Nose, Star of Bombay, Copper House and so on. I shall be sad to see them go, but it will provide an opportunity to start emptying a selection of *new* empty GIN bottles [Big Grin] for a new GIN Museum when we do finally get to move, if ever that happy day comes!

Mrs. S, sadly stacking empty bottles

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having donated so many clothes over the past few months, the empty hangers have been multiplying and are threatening to take over the house. So I was delighted to learn that my favorite Thrift Shop will be happy to take them off my hands (I know some places are equally overwhelmed with hangers and won't accept donated ones). They'll be heading to greener pastures this afternoon.

In a couple weeks I'm having my bedroom closet re-done, so I'll be moving the contents to the guest room during the process. NOTHING will be allowed back into the bedroom closet without careful consideration.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, wait. Does the S household empty these gin bottles before adding them to the collection? should I come over with vermouth and some lemon peels?

There are a class of items which are difficult to sell on ebay -- bookcases, let us say. I have discovered that Facebook Yard Sale allows you to sell items to people within driving distance of your house. Shed a bookcase and an apple peeling machine yesterday, and am looking forward to getting rid of boxes of oddball Xmas ornaments today.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
... the empty hangers have been multiplying ...

But of course they have - leave two coat hangers in one place and they'll breed like rabbits.

Having said that, when we moved (without our belongings - we didn't think we'd be without them for as long as we were) we only took the clothes that we could fit into two suitcases and an overnight bag, and coat-hangers didn't occur to us, so we actually had to buy some ... [Eek!]

Needless to say, they started multiplying as soon as we got our stuff back. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do realise, don't you, that paper clips are the larval form of metal coat-hangers?

Not sure where the wooden ones come from - although there is a great hatchery which goes by the name of "IKEA" (even available in Piglet-land, I see).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
You do realise, don't you, that paper clips are the larval form of metal coat-hangers?

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] Quotes file!
quote:
... "IKEA" (even available in Piglet-land, I see).
Sadly, Piglet-land is a Very Big Country, and the nearest IKEA is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, which is 4½ hours away. There is a collection point here, but that's not as much fun as actually going to the shop (and you don't get the gravadlax or meatballs).

One day we'll get round to visiting the Halifax or Montreal branch (Montreal's 8 hours away).

At least the modest dimensions of the Pigletmobile should put some limitations on our spending ... [Big Grin]

[ 01. November 2017, 00:19: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Declutterers might find some motivation in this: The Minimalist Game. The idea is to get rid of one object on Day 1, two on Day 2, and so on. By my calculations, that would be 465 objects over 30 days!

Could be good for a New Year project, though I am starting now, as I will be away for a couple of weeks in January. Today, I threw out a cheap and nasty 'kangaroo's tail' from a dressing up set. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

The Paperclip Game

Play at your peril and don’t blame me for time eaten!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I would so love to play the Minimalism Game with D's ancient collection of periodicals about the organ, but if I even suggested it, I suspect I'd be the one that would get de-cluttered.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, attempts to declutter organists are highly dangerous.

And don't even think of trying to Sort Out The Choir's Music Cupboard.

[ 10. December 2017, 15:20: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D's been working on Sorting Out the Cupboard* ever since he arrived in the job - it was in a bit of a mess, and he actually rather enjoys doing that sort of thing (his mum's a retired librarian, so I suppose it's in the genes). I'm not averse to spending the odd hour or two helping out; I'd say by the time he retires he'll probably have it set up the way he wants it. [Big Grin]

* including a fair bit of disposal of (whisper it) illegal photocopies ... [Help]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I'd found the minimalist game at the beginning of the month. I think I've probably got rid of more than enough stuff but I haven't been counting. Having finished the Job, I have decluttered several rooms, to recycling, charity shops and the bin, and I'm still working on it. I stopped last week to declutter a fair amount at my daughter's flat as I packed her up, and we're still shifting stuff as we keep tidying - and disposing of stuff that is irretrievably impregnated with the pong. Currently I have a bag of old sheets and towels waiting to go to the vet tomorrow, assuming they are open.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
D's been working on Sorting Out the Cupboard* ever since he arrived in the job.

Ah, but is licenced (or even expected) to do that, unlike us Lesser Mortals.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

* including a fair bit of disposal of (whisper it) illegal photocopies ... [Help]

Not the legal approach I know, but a workmate once said to me, "Copyright, means I have a right to copy it."

I think he was joking.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Each time I go into the roofspace i try to bring something down that won't return there. Last time it was a box of toys from my childhood, including 2 baby dolls that are still in good condition so I'm helping Santa's elves out by passing these on to 2 neighbouring children (I checked with their mum first) at Christmas. Knitting a few extra items for the dolls is also decluttering my wool stash [Smile] Putting them into nice boxes is also decluttering my box stash [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another cupboard decluttered and tidied - the evidence is on my ‘Room’ blog [Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Another cupboard decluttered and tidied - the evidence is on my ‘Room’ blog [Angel]

Good job!
[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are driving to Atlanta, GA, to visit my daughter and grandson for the holidays. And we're hauling along six or eight big boxes of books, which are going to Vintage Atlanta, the best used book store on the east coast. Their great virtue is that they adore my books, and have many books that I adore. So we roll in with our 8 boxes, and come back with perhaps five books in exchange. Books we don't want are turned into (many fewer) books we do! And this has liberated two or three bookcases, which instantly go out the door as well. I have my eye now on the largest bookcase of all...

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started the Minimalism Game worried that I would not find 465 items to discard. Now I am at Day 17, and I am worried that 465 items will not be enough.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

To the Atlanta bookstore today, and garner nearly $200 in bookstore credit! With the most assiduous application we were only able to find $90 worth of books to take away again. So now we have a large store credit there, sigh. Must come back and find more desirable books...

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year we brought the Christmas things down from the attic, leaving the attic completely empty forever, because we only kept the amount of Christmas decorations we could neatly fit on the top shelf of our all purpose closet.

We don't have a basement and our three car garage holds three cars so there's only room for a few garden tools, a mower, one bike and a ladder along one side. We are now officially on one level floor and all the rooms except for one are in a very clean, minimalist state. Except for that one.

That one is my grown son's room and, "his to do with what he wants". (Twilight repeats to herself over and over.)

A relative got him an exercise machine for Christmas so he and I just rearranged his room to fit it in beside his large double dresser and queen size bed. Out of his smallish closet came, eight large watercolors done by his grandfather, three "paintings" by his grandmother, a dozen more paintings or wall decorations showing his father's families "coat of arms," and several wall hangings we could not actually define. His shelves also had fishing poles and other sporting equipment he hasn't used in 20 years. The collections of years worth of five different magazines, hundreds of books, a baseball cards sorted in large notebooks, a huge electronic dart game and other such gifts never opened.

Here is my point, if I have one. Most of these things came from older relatives, now deceased. Thus they all have great sentimental value for him, plus, art work or homemade quilts all represent creative work they have labored over and so he feels like it would be wickedly wrong to dispose of any of them.

Where does it all end? How many generations must bear this load? Is there a reasonable balance somewhere between the sentimental hoarder like my son and the cold-hearted disposer like myself?

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... Out of his smallish closet came, eight large watercolors done by his grandfather, three "paintings" by his grandmother, a dozen more paintings or wall decorations showing his father's families "coat of arms," and several wall hangings we could not actually define. His shelves also had fishing poles and other sporting equipment he hasn't used in 20 years. The collections of years worth of five different magazines, hundreds of books, a baseball cards sorted in large notebooks, a huge electronic dart game and other such gifts never opened.

All in a "smallish" closet? I've lived in apartments that wouldn't hold that much stuff.

Perhaps he could be persuaded to declutter the not-used-in-20-years sports equipment and the gifts that have never been opened or used? They wouldn't have the sentimental value of the creative work of his ancestors.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Pigwidgeon, that's exactly what he did with all the unused, unopened electronic games, and waterpics. The fishing pole stayed, though. I guess hope springs eternal for that idyllic day on the river bank.

After I jumped in and cleaned the closet we managed to put everything back in like it was a preplanned puzzle. The room is cleaner and more organized right now than it has been in years.

However. In true hoarder form, he did go out to the trash and retrieve a few items that were already making him feel guilty.

I can only laugh. There's something very sweet about you sentimental folk.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW: some people need a physical connection to their memories, feelings, heritage, etc. So it's important to them to have their things around them, or easily accessible. If their things are easily visible, the people can look around and *see* their lives, and the things they cling to to get through it. And that shores them up.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Golden Key - I think I am one of those people [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
FWIW: some people need a physical connection to their memories, feelings, heritage, etc. So it's important to them to have their things around them, or easily accessible. If their things are easily visible, the people can look around and *see* their lives, and the things they cling to to get through it. And that shores them up.

That's so true. I've seen these tangible memories be really important to older people. If they have to go in to some sort of assisted living space, it helps so much to be able to take some of them along.
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I have posted this before, but I do find that taking a photograph of things that I need to get rid of does help. Some of those large paintings he has might do well at a nursing home or school where the art would be appreciated and he could have one framed photo on the wall that incorporated all of the donated items. It has helped me so maybe it would be an idea.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decluttering here continues, some involuntarily. The pile of funky-smelling possessions that came home with my daughter has been sorted and much reduced. Not all has been decluttered as some things have been replaced - such as card cases, covers for phones and tablets and Tunisian crochet hooks.

For anyone who has to do this, the smell of cannabis can sometimes be removed by using citric cleaning solutions, cables which could be cleaned required surgical spirit (rubbing alcohol) and WD-40. Vodka is also supposed to work, but it didn't clean the anorak that was washed three times and still stank. I've also had documents sitting in bicarbonate of soda. The DMs were cleaned over several days using cleaning solution, sitting in the open window to air, Arm and Hammer toothpaste*, being sat in bicarbonate of soda, surgical spirits and WD-40.

* Baking soda toothpaste may be traditional, but there's a reason it isn't used so much nowadays, it tastes very salty. However, it makes a good cleaning product.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
...it didn't clean the anorak that was washed three times and still stank.

IME hanging things outdoors for several days will get rid of odors. Obviously, you have to make sure they don't get rained on.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiosity Killed--

Maybe try soaking the washable things in a borax solution? (I don't know if borax has another name where you are. Here, the brand is 20 Mule Team Borax.)

If the item is clothing, make sure you rinse it really well afterwards. Borax is alkaline, and can bother sensitive skin.

But it's really good for clearing odors. I have chemical sensitivities. When I bring home something that might give off chemicals (and badly smelling ones, at that), like maybe a vinyl shower curtain, I soak it in borax, then rinse it very well--and that tones down both the chemicals and smell.

FWIW, YMMV. There's online info about using borax.

[ 30. December 2017, 02:44: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Huia--

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Thanks Golden Key - I think I am one of those people [Hot and Hormonal]

Me, too--at least to some extent. I don't think it's bad. But it does make it difficult to get rid of stuff.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

It has it's upsides too though. I found a really loving card that a friend had sent me right at the time I needed to hear the word she wrote [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Yup. I keep cards and letters, too. (Which is traditional, and some people forget or don't know that.) Handy for shoring up, as you mentioned. Also for keeping track of the history of a relationship. And good for reminding yourself "Yes, I really did confront so-n-so about what they did, and neither of us died, and I did good".

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I managed to clean all the clothing but that waterproofed coat and another coated fabric by washing, including backpacks. Most of what has gone is paper (including books, patterns and games), leather or has a rubberised surface that seems to have permanently absorbed the smell - cables, cutting mat, handles, ... Airing did not help, believe me, I tried. It was so pervasive that anything something impregnated touched had to be cleaned too.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Yup. I keep cards and letters, too. (Which is traditional, and some people forget or don't know that.)

I think that depends on your tradition. I keep very few letters, and almost no cards.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
quote:
Yup. I keep cards and letters, too. (Which is traditional, and some people forget or don't know that.)

I think that depends on your tradition. I keep very few letters, and almost no cards.
My tradition is obviously to keep some letters as I have just come across one written to Mum by her older brother. Both of them are now dead
[Tear] but the occasion of the letter was Mum's 21st birthday. It was lovely to read it, but it's definitely going into the discard pile, although I may first ask the family genealogist if she's interested.

Huia- claiming back my house - one item at a time

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
My tradition is obviously to keep some letters as I have just come across one written to Mum by her older brother. Both of them are now dead
[Tear] but the occasion of the letter was Mum's 21st birthday. It was lovely to read it, but it's definitely going into the discard pile, although I may first ask the family genealogist if she's interested.

Huia- claiming back my house - one item at a time

Have you thought about scanning it so that you could keep it without it being clutter?

(Hmmm... maybe I could do that with a few letters and such.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
[QUOTE]Have you thought about scanning it so that you could keep it without it being clutter?

It's a good idea but we technopeasants* don't do scanning [Hot and Hormonal]

Today, I had planned to stitch the
Thank-you card I designed for my optometrist. I had decided to use my favourite purple (DMC 550 for anyone who is a thread addict), but I couldn't find it. I knew I must have some and I was determined not to buy anymore.

The upshot is I have totally reorganised two rooms and am still in the middle of putting things in their new places. No needlework done, but I did find the cotton I wanted and I have also filled the rubbish bin for tomorrow's collection and the recycling one isn't far off it.

It will probably take me a week or so to finish, because some of the needlework things haven't found their "forever home" yet and I think I have more decluttering to do - anyone interested in a large chart graphing Nefertiti in cross stitch?

Huia

* one of my favourite words - Thanks Uncle Pete

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
It's a good idea but we technopeasants* don't do scanning [Hot and Hormonal]

I believe there are places that will do it for you at a reasonable price (or perhaps a friend?).
quote:
Today, I had planned to stitch the Thank-you card I designed for my optometrist. I had decided to use my favourite purple (DMC 550 for anyone who is a thread addict)...
Ooh! I love DMC 550 -- one of my favorite colors! (I do very little stitching these days -- something I'm considering as a resolution for 2018* -- but some of the color numbers are still in my head.)

*We have over an hour of 2017 left here.

--------------------
~Tortuf

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many printers are also able to scan, you may know someone with one just sitting there waiting to be used. I find it really satisfying to have a copy of things that way. My library also has a scanner for use and, in a pinch, a photo of the letter may be useful too.

No decluttering done here lately but the dish mountain has moved from the "dirty" side of the sink to the "clean" side. [Smile]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I'm on Day 24 of the Minimalism Challenge, and have so far cleared 300 items. The scary thing is, the house doesn't look less cluttered at all. Though some of my drawers are pretty clear.

--------------------

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Declutterers might find some motivation in this: The Minimalist Game. The idea is to get rid of one object on Day 1, two on Day 2, and so on. By my calculations, that would be 465 objects over 30 days!

I missed this the first time round. Anybody fancy joining me in a January version of the challenge? (I know what I will be throwing out as object 1 for 1st January. Tomorrow I will need to identify 2 items for 2nd Jan, 3 for 3rd Jan and 4 for 4th Jan and then I'll go day-by-day as intended.)

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

We're still throwing huge quantities of stuff out and have lost count. I'm not sure if we managed 465 items for December, but I suspect so: it's easy when things go out in sets of a dozen Tunisian crochet hooks, a set of 16 cutlery pieces.

The local vets have had three bags of sheets, quilt covers, pillowcases, towels and fleece blankets, or was it four? Another bag went this morning.

I delivered a bag of clothes to Cancer Research yesterday and there's another bag of clothing in the bathroom plus a bag of computer and education stuff for a local education charity by the door. Today I binned a pencil case and the contents of working pens, pencils and rulers, plus some other stuff because it reeked. There's another bag I hoped to take tonight full of clean good enough stuff for tombola prizes and/or lucky dips for the next fundraising, but we postponed that meeting.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
... the house doesn't look less cluttered at all. Though some of my drawers are pretty clear.

How about putting some of the remaining clutter into the drawers?

And the prize for Stating the Bleedin' Obvious goes to ...

... Piglet! [Devil]

I'll see myself out.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Laundry room decluttered - hurrah!

This job has been hanging over me for months.

Where does the junk come from? Two huge bag fulls to recycling/rehoming/tip [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have 4 plastic carrier bags of paper recycling in my study (from when the paper recycling bis was full). The plan was to take then to the recycling centre ourselves. Hasn't happened yet...I am still stepping over them every time I want to get near my desk. Maybe confessing all to you might make me do something about this...

However, I did make a start on my "jumper drawer" on Tuesday. It is now a thing of beauty, with all the jumpers neatly folded and rolled. I actually wore a wooly jacket I had forgotten I had yesterday. And he unkept items have already been taken to Oxfam, where I hope they will be found by someone for whom they will be treasure.
(I still have a massive ironing pile, though...and still nowhere to put said items once they have been ironed. So still a work in progress.)

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a smaller scale, I decluttered the church Christmas tree decorations this morning [Yipee] If I've thrown out something very dear to someone's heart, I shan't be here when they find out it's gone [Two face]

And whoever thought two-inch high glass Christmas trees might be a good plan for decorations in church - you were wrong.

Mrs. S, feeling smug again [Smile]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
On a smaller scale, I decluttered the church Christmas tree decorations this morning [Yipee] If I've thrown out something very dear to someone's heart, I shan't be here when they find out it's gone [Two face]

And whoever thought two-inch high glass Christmas trees might be a good plan for decorations in church - you were wrong.

Mrs. S, feeling smug again [Smile]

I too have decluttered ornaments! At my office the boss decreed the office tree was too sad-looking, and went and bought two big boxes of matching shiny red balls with glitter on. To make room for them a number of the shabbier balls have to go, and I set them aside to give to Goodwill. But now I have a new idea. I am going to make pussyhats for them, and they shall enjoy a new life in this American election year. If I sew them out of pink tee shirt material it won't take a jiffy.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I think I will investigate the scanning, but will do it when I move on to sorting the photos and family stuff cleared from my family home. I'm planning on making cards from some of them to send to my brother with Parkinson's (I send a card a week to keep in touch and these are memory joggers he can discuss when our youngest brother visits him).

Today however is a declutter free day and I am stitching my card as a reward for what I have achieved so far. [Yipee]

Edited to add - Mrs S - love the 'declutter and run approach.

Huia

[ 04. January 2018, 20:10: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Laundry room decluttered - hurrah!

We're rather lucky: our laundry isn't a room, it's more a cupboard. It looks like a built-in wardrobe in the hall, and you open it to reveal the washer and dryer.

This means that apart from the shelves above the appliances, which contain detergent, boxes of Christmas decorations (currently still empty), spare light-bulbs and a few otherwise unallocated teddy-bears, there isn't actually any space to put clutter, so there isn't any.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016