homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 48)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Cattyish! [Overused]

I can't actually find most of the kitchen at the new Château Piglet yet as it's buried in boxes, but I will eventually get there.

I'm not yet sure how I'm going to organise things; being somewhat vertically challenged, I rather like the idea of the crockery being in the lower cupboards (specifically the ones closest to the dishwasher), but the upper ones will have to be used for something. I put some wine glasses into one of the upper cupboards the other day (mainly to get the box they were in out of the way), but I'm not sure whether they'll stay there - most of them are ones we don't use all that often, so they may be relegated to the really inaccessible top shelves.

I may need to get one of those little step thingies ... [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would do this. Contemplate where you would store it when it's not being used. They sell ones that collapse flat.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My two step stools were commandeered by various cats over the years. Patchy liked the one wher the steps flipped out so the padded top was the last step, but as they get older they aren't as stable as the ones where you flip the top up to use the steps.

I have both kinds, neither of which were new when I got then, and I don't feel really safe on them so I now use a stepladder which I bought second hand. It has obviously been owned by a painter. [Biased] The advantage of this is I don't need to climb on the top step, which is a bit more dangerous and it is totally solid being recommended for weights up to 150kg (which gives me a considerable margin) [Razz]

My next project, more for sorting rather than decluttering, is my needlework cottons [Help]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I continue to decluttered the landing - it's a very slow job, but I think I'll be there by April. Another bag went to the charity shop today.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would suggest the sort that have a handle that projects well above the top step, for future proofing.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I would suggest the sort that have a handle that projects well above the top step, for future proofing.

Yes, you can stabilize yourself by pressing your shins against the handle.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the advice about step thingies - TBH I was only half-serious. D. is just short of 6 foot, so he can get things from high places. There's a pair of cupboards over the corner of the counter-top to which he's laid claim ("those'll be my cupboards, as you can't reach them"). [Big Grin]

With any luck our Major Declutterment (a bed, sofa, chest-of-drawers and one of those cupboard units that stand over the lavatory cistern) will happen soon; we had an e-mail from the lady who does the Cathedral drop-in and she's found someone who would find them useful. [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[brick wall]

On Wednesday afternoon I realised that my Fitbit One was no longer clipped to the waistband of my trousers. I figured it had to have fallen off in either my study, the hallway, the bathroom or the kitchen and would be lying in plain view somewhere.

On Thursday, I figured that it must have fallen off and been kicked under a piece of furniture, so I checked.

On Friday I started looking inside shoes, in the fridge etc.

Today the North East Loon downloaded an app which identifies nearby bluetooth items. According to it, there is a Fitbit One in either the bathroom, the dining room, or my study. The best signal is in the study. We have spent hours searching for it today. We have moved furniture. I have emptied drawers. Bob2 the Roomba has had to be emptied three times as it hoovers up the dust from behind and from under furniture. [Hot and Hormonal] We have tried moving boxes into a different room to see if the signal changes. I have decluttered an impressive amount of paperwork. But the Fitbit One remains elusive.

[brick wall]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you tried food? Sacrifice? Have you asked your cat?

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I sound like a besotted Cat Lady, (because I am [Hot and Hormonal] ) but sometimes when I'm searching for things Georgie-Porgy seems to go and sit right next to the object of my search.

She hasn't found my favourite glasses yet though [Waterworks]

Good luck with the fitbit.

Huia

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm told that if you walk around the house calling "Here, Fitbit! Heeeeeeeeerrreee, Fitbit!" you will find it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ--

Do you have any kind of vents near the floor? Might it have fallen in? Do you have pets? Sometimes, they hide things. Any visitation by mice? Is there any place where a creature might be able to put something in the walls? Do you have a basement? Maybe the FitBit is there, directly beneath the strong signal place.

And then there are St. Anthony and St. Jude. One prayer for St. Anthony is "Dear St. Anthony, please come round. / Something's lost, and can't be found".

YMMV. Good luck!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my fitbits was found under the sofa, many months after I'd lost it, and two days after I lost the replacement.

The replacement turned up months later, down a crack in the car... I, too, worked out its location on the house but didn't think it could be outside the house in the car...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our only pet is a cockateil, which is confined to one room.

No vents. Pretty sure no mice. No basement.

It's remotely possible that Bob2, the Roomba, could have nudged it some distance, but he wasn't in the study at all (as the amount of dust he's now picking up confirms) and we have checked under all the furniture in the rooms he was in.

I was quite relaxed when I realisaed it had come off because I'd spent the previous couple of hours in the study, only venturing out to the kitchen for coffee, and to the bathroom. As I thought it copuldn't be far away, I didn't look straight away. I'm now regretting that!

I've now dug out the flat duster for dusting behing radiators and can confirm it's not there. Bob2 is dealing with the resultant fresh influx of dust bunnies. [Hot and Hormonal]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I definitely wasn't in the car, and I don't think I left the house, but I've just checked the path which runs behind bathroom / dining room / study and I can't see it there.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely anything called aFitbit is off the Devil and shouldn't be found under any circumstances!

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

You may have a point, WW!

The North East loon suggested I might have dropped the fitbit while taking a book from my bookcase, then pushed it in when replacing the book.

So, make absolutely sure, I've worked my way down my bookcase, shelf by shelf, removing books, dusting, polishing and replacing. I've found two misshelved books I'd been looking for, and a lot of dust, but no fitbit.

Bob2 is back on duty, hoovering up more dust.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Ferigen!! Thank you! The North East Loon went out to scan the garden and he found it! It was in mud next to our green cone. I must have popped out to put something in it, and forgotten I'd done so. I was sure I hadn't been out of the house.

Despite being muddy, and having been out in quite heavy rain, it seems to be ok!

And my study is much cleaner!

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Very good!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have been very busy decluttering prior to a move to a much smaller property. It's just amazing how much stuff one amasses - of course it spreads to fill the space available. Despite our son having collected all his stuff, oodles of stuff going to charity shops, furniture being prepared to go to the local Furniture Project, and many trips to the dump, there STILL seems to be too much stuff!

Where on earth did it all come from??? And when did it breed?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

We have seen in our church family too many people wresting with their stuff, when they have to move or downsize. Often this is for age or health-related reasons, making it doubly and trebly more difficult to do the work. Every time we help an aged couple move a desk that weighs as much as a small car my husband comes home and find something in our house to throw or give away. Get ahead of the wave now, because you can't hold back the tide.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, could it all have been an evil plan on the part of the Fitbit to increase your step count?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Surely anything called aFitbit is off the Devil and shouldn't be found under any circumstances!

She looked under all the circumstances. It wasn't there. [Big Grin]

Major declutterment chez Piglet accomplished! [Yipee]

The lady who's relieving us of our furniture turned up today with a friend, an estate car and a trailer and the bed (complete with hideous pink padded head-board), sofa, chest-of-drawers and over-cistern-thingy have all gone, so arrangement of remaining Stuff can proceed.

happy piglet [Yipee]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hooray, Piglet.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've managed to give away five big boxes of books!

In my part of the world 'Save the Children' holds several large sales of second-hand books each year. Over the last few years I have bought rather more books than I have read, and my collection of unread books has grown and grown, until I was regarding it not with anticipation and pleasure but with alarm and dread.

Far too many books were of the sort that I "will enjoy reading some day". But I realised that I will keep finding other books I want to read more, and that 'some day' will never come. So I went through the unread books, at first with grim-faced determination, and then with increasing pleasure: those that stirred up joyful anticipation were kept, the others were boxed up and given away. It felt wonderfully liberating.

I have given the unwanted books to 'Save the Children', so I will probably see them again when I go to the next book sale. But I don't think I'll be buying them all back again. I was pleased to notice that, once I had made up my mind to part with each one, it had lost its hold - it was just a thing, something to be fitted into a box, and better off with someone who will appreciate it more than I do.

I hope that the experience has also taught me to be more discriminating - I think it has. Is there really any danger that I will run out of reading matter because I haven't stock-piled it?

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tobias:
Over the last few years I have bought rather more books than I have read, and my collection of unread books has grown and grown, until I was regarding it not with anticipation and pleasure but with alarm and dread.

Far too many books were of the sort that I "will enjoy reading some day". But I realised that I will keep finding other books I want to read more, and that 'some day' will never come. So I went through the unread books, at first with grim-faced determination, and then with increasing pleasure: those that stirred up joyful anticipation were kept, the others were boxed up and given away. It felt wonderfully liberating...snip...

once I had made up my mind to part with each one, it had lost its hold - it was just a thing, something to be fitted into a box, and better off with someone who will appreciate it more than I do.

I hope that the experience has also taught me to be more discriminating - I think it has. Is there really any danger that I will run out of reading matter because I haven't stock-piled it?

This is so helpful. I have been putting off dealing with a quantity of books that I feel I should read but probably never will. I will tackle them now.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A suggestion, Thyme - when realising I'd got to that stage, I started to jot down interesting titles in a notebook instead of buying the actual book. So, whenever someone gives me a Book Token as a present, I have a list of books I'd like to buy. But otherwise, they don't actually get bought until I have time to read them.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
A suggestion, Thyme - when realising I'd got to that stage, I started to jot down interesting titles in a notebook instead of buying the actual book. So, whenever someone gives me a Book Token as a present, I have a list of books I'd like to buy. But otherwise, they don't actually get bought until I have time to read them.

I have an amazon.com Wishlist that's about a mile long. When I need something to read, or have an amazon.com credit, I go through the list. Sometimes a book is deleted from the list when I realize it's something I'll probably never read after all.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Goodreads is also good for this. You can list books in a To Read shelf, and when you've read them move them over to Books Read. There is also a provision for you to review them, which I actually use to remind myself of what I have read. This keeps me from forgetting, and accidentally buying or checking out a book I've already read.

The other superb thing about Goodreads is that, at the bottom of each entry for a book, there are tabs that you can click to buy the book, or to see if it's in libraries near you. Never buy a book if you can borrow it.

[ 07. March 2017, 19:32: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D. said that he'd done a modicum of book declutterment when he was packing up the stuff at the former Château Piglet, but we've still taken a heck of a lot with us.

Having said that, I rather enjoyed arranging the bookshelves in the sitting-room with big coffee-table-type books and other sundry non-fiction.

I'd forgotten just how much I loved my holiday job working in a library when I was a student ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

The other superb thing about Goodreads is that, at the bottom of each entry for a book, there are tabs that you can click to buy the book, or to see if it's in libraries near you. Never buy a book if you can borrow it.

That's why I bought a tablet. In NZ only the most expensive kindle can be used to borrow library books, besides the exchange rate is horrendous.

I decluttered a lot of books after the Feb 2011 quake here as access to my front door was blocked by books, and, in a triumph of culture over crass commercialism, another bookcase took out the TV [Biased] . Now both my large bookcases are bolted to walls.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My next major project will be my bedroom closet. My handyman is going to be repairing the doors, which will create much dust, so all contents must be removed. My plan is to take things down, cull out what I don't wear (to donate), and then dump what I'm keeping on my guest room bed. When the closet is ready, everything will have to pass muster once more before being put back into the closet. This will involve clothes, shoes, and handbags.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This might also be the moment to add more shelving, rods, hooks etc to the closet so as to maximize its space.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

That would be a good idea, Brenda -- if I had the space to add more space. I have two rows of shelves at the top, and shelving for shoes at one end. There's not room for more shelves or another rod. Basically, it all just needs to be thinned out. (I do want to try to figure out if there's a way to add a light and need to talk to my handyman about that.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I have seen battery powered lights that can be hung ( by a hook) in wardrobes or other cupboards and was thinking of getting a couple as they would be cheaper than re-wiring.

There were 2 styles, one like a bulkhead light and the other like shaped like a lightbulb at a 45 degree angle.

I must say I like the idea of screening clothes to keep twice, it gives you a chance to be more ruthless.

Huia

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have seen even better ones -- LEDs that are flat (taking up no space) and motion-sensitive. The light goes on when you open the door, and shuts off when you leave. They have to be wired in, however, so you should indeed ask the handyman. The best place for this sort of light is directly above the door on the inside of the closet -- a space you are unlikely to use for storage. The light cast from there will illuminate all the contents.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Thanks for the suggestions, Brenda and Huia. The people who lived here before me a had self-adhesive battery-operated light in a place where it shed no useful light. It was dead before I moved in, and while it might just need a battery, it's worthless where they put it. I need to do some thinking and experimenting... and of course once I've cleared out some clothes, it will be easier for the light to penetrate.
[Smile]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I tried one of those sticky-on LED lights, but it was rather more fally-off, and in the end I just left it on a shelf beside the wardrobe and used it like a torch if I needed to.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It's better (particularly if the workman is there anyway) to wire it in. Then it never falls off, with luck, and you never have to wrestle with batteries. Nowadays they make the LEDs with bulbs with a lifetime guarantee, so if you do it right you will =never= have to do it again, from now until when Christ returns in glory. Think about it, the Risen Lord stepping up to your closet and opening the door and bing! the light still goes on!

[ 09. March 2017, 23:04: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shudder to think what the Lord would find to wear in my closet.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

The wiring would probably be very easy to reach since it's not far from my ceiling light/fan. Then again, he installed a ceiling light in my living room that was not near anything else electrical, and then put in a wall switch for it that, again, was near no other wiring. He'll have some good ideas, I'm sure. I just have to face the emptying, decluttering, and replacing stuff in the closet. Compared to that, his part of the job is a piece of cake!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, lovely fellow de-clutterers. All this talk of maximising closet space has given me an idea for storage of files I really need to keep, until I need to shred the contents, but don't necessarily want on view in my bedroom, where I've got slightly more storage possibilities.

Will report back later.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've started on the household paperwork - hurrah!

I've bought a lot of box files and folders to put in them.

So far I've sorted -

Tax
Pensions
Payslips
Utilities
Certificates
Car stuff

Now to wade into the banking and finance documents.

Getting there!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Boogie [Overused]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I managed to persuade D. (after mentioning it only once) that it would be a good idea to have a basket at his side of the sofa for storage of magazines. He has a collection of musical periodicals of one sort or another going back to the year dot which he flatly refuses to ditch, but at least this way they won't be making the place look a mess.

eta: this is obviously only for the ones he's reading at any given time; the vast majority of the collection is in the room we've designated as the library, where at the moment they are making the place look a mess ... [Roll Eyes]

[ 11. April 2017, 21:38: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We possibly have too much space such that, when a friend came to see me a week or three ago, he took one look in the Upper Hall and asked if it was a warehouse!

[Eek!]

We also have a floor tile problem in there AND I want to convert it into a new bedroom/bathroom for me so I am planning to hang fire with the floor tile problem until I have the cash for stud and dry wall stuff and then get it all done together then Himself will HAVE to clear it! I'll also buy him a couple of big steel cupboards to hide things in, tidy or not it will be his problem!

[Snigger]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
We possibly have too much space ...

What do you mean, too much space? [Confused] Is there really such a thing?

We're still working out the most sensible use of the space in the new house; there's a lot of cupboard space, but how we use it is still at the "work in progress" stage.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By devious methods, the contents of two whole bookshelves have been relocated to other appropriate places.
This leaves JUST enough room for the contents of a very ugly plastic box that contained sentimental family stuff (...that is gradually being claimed by Various members of our extended family.
In turn, that has freed up enough space to seriously consider shifting LOTS of furniture around. Thus providing the possibility of what has been a furniture-jammed-room for years...turning into merely a slightly cluttered room.
I cannot explain what this would mean to me, were we to be able to pull this off.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Banking and finance documents weeded and filed.

Now for the 'sentimental' papers - boat plans dog stuff etc.

I'm not even looking at the two huge boxes of photos yet!

We are both 60 in July and hosting a big party for 100 people at the cricket club, a nice venue, with Mr Boogs cover band playing. Six are coming from Germany and staying here, so I want the upstairs sorted.

Help - a deadline, I don't do well with deadlines!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Mind you, at least if you have a deadline, it's an incentive; I feel as if we could do with one to get D. to sort out the study and get the computer set up!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016