homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Want to lose some weight? (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Want to lose some weight?
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I suppose I'll believe it when I get under 11st.

I'm envious - I'm looking forward to the day when I'm 11st something.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week I have walked every day for at least an hour [Yipee] . I find I have more energy and I'm waking up feeling positive about the day. A big difference from most of February. I am not weighting myself for a couple of weeks as I don't want to start obsessing about it (I've done that in the past, and it detracts from my achievement).

This isn't a criticism of anyone else because I know different approaches work for different people and I know my own weaknesses.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've maintained my weight loss over the past fortnight. Which is good because I've been away on a work conference and tried to make good choices with the - very tasty - food on offer but it wasn't always easy. Having said all that it would have been nice to lose even just a pound.

Nen - hoping for a sudden and dramatic loss sometime very soon.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had lost 4 1/2 lb when I weighed today, taking me down to 10st 11. It's probably not an accurate figure, as I have to sit on the scales, but it's quite encouraging and the general trend is DOWN!
This week's not going to be good, diet-wise, as we are going to our ex-vicar's induction in his new parish, so eating out 4 days this week.
My next target is 10st 7lb, which means I will have lost a stone.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news in different ways so far on this thread.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I hit the "first stone lost" target this morning. [Yipee]

Two more to go.
[Help]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

Marvellous!! [Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Nenya! [Yipee] [Overused] [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

Two more to go.
[Help]

Lovely news. Well done.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nenya [Overused]

Time to reward yourself. I always give myself a bubble bath when I achieve a milestone like this. Bribery, works well for me. [Hot and Hormonal]

I had stopped my hour a day walking and am now back onto it. Today I am considering the Coastal pathway, a section of the 360 walk around Christchurch which encompasses the city and suburbs.

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Nenya!

My weight has stayed the same (too heavy) despite my low carb diet and it may be due to insufficient exercise in this heat. On the other hand, I haven't put on more weight.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have not weighed myself for several weeks. However one DIL asked the other day if I had lost more weight as she could see it in my face. I had not seen her for a couple of months as they have had a fairly torrid time with family upsets.

Then this morning I took out a dress which I had bought some months ago when I absolutely had to buy some things which did not fall off me. It was a bit tight then.

Today, I removed the sales tag from it and put it on.. Success. Fits well feels and looks good. A comfortable soft, denim blue fabric,shirt maker style.

I have been a bit undisciplined this week but this is a boost. Grocery order sends samples from time to time and a pack of. Wraps turned up at beginning of the weekl. I have had no bread I. The house for almost a year. I enjoyed them but threw out the second pack which was also sent.

[ 16. March 2017, 20:40: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Loth, I always think clothes that barely fit before now feeling more comfortable feels really satisfying - well done.

I have just done one and a half hours walking, the first half hour of which was down a fairly steep hill. It's about 26c, but the wind was blowing off the sea which made it bearable. I hadn't planned to go that far, but the bus didn't come along at a convenient time, so I kept on striding it out.

Huia

I am pooped.

I'm going to have a rest, a bubble bath, then a small venison steak with salad. Wish I had a chef to grill it for me.

Huia

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

Been stuck on the same weight for a couple of weeks now and trying not to play mind games on the scales (not pleased with scales... have a wee... hop back on... still not pleased... weigh again when hair is dry...) so haven't weighed for a bit. Still sure I'm maintaining, and probably losing very slowly, but a bit discouraged. [Frown]

Mr Nen casually announced recently that with the change of eating habits (we eat pretty much the same things as I won't cook separate meals) he is back to the weight and waist measurement he was when we got married. So that's nice. I'm thrilled for him, naturally.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Nenya, it is absolutely a very well known fact that men lose weight more quickly and often more easily than women. [Biased]

Give yourself some space. Mine has been doing the same here so I will not look at scales for a while. Up a bit, down a bit. Not even anything I can find any trace of a cause for. Am past being able to say hormonal, but it sounds good. [Razz]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heheheheh. If you can be thrilled for a spouse who announces his ability to do very little and gain the goal you're stressing out to reach, you're a better woman than I am. [Snigger] Mr. Lamb does this too--"Oh dear! Since I gave up eating icecream for a week, I've lost 50 pounds!"

Grrrrrrrr. And the worst of it is, he's telling the truth (bloody metabolism).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've given in and started going to Slimming World.

I go on Wednesday mornings and take the puppy as part of her training, so I don't feel the time is wasted. I hate going out in the evenings! I've got a stone to lose (as usual [Roll Eyes] ) and have lost 3lb in the last two weeks, which I'm pleased with.

I'm going to keep going week on week, even after reaching target and hope that 'group therapy' is the key.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Boogie, I hope this works for you. My sister feels that she does not try unless she has paid for membership of somewhere, possibly even just the gym. It makes her feel accountable. As a fairly definite introvert, the thought makes me cringe.

However, even the walk there is extra exercise. Congrats on achievements already.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you need to lose weight when the breakfast conversation goes as follows:

North East Man: My PJs feel unusually comfy; have you done something to them?
Me: Those aren't your navy PJ trousers: they're my navy PJ trousers.
North East Man: That explains it. I thought they felt looser than normal.

[Waterworks]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm now under 11st. After a long weekend visiting Lord P on the Isle of Wight, I couldn't believe the Slimming World scales which reckoned I'd lost 4lb. Weighed on Saturday evening on our glass scales, and found I'd lost 3lb and was 10st 13.
Lord P dropped a bit of a bombshell by telling us that the wedding is going to be 14th October THIS YEAR, so I've got to keep focuses. Problem's going to be a fortnight in Cornwall and a week on the Isle before then.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NO CREAM TEAS!!! [Devil]

Keep up the good work, St. G. - now you've got an extra incentive! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When Master Plummer got married a few years ago I bought a very smart suit, but it was a bit tight round the tummy. Not enough time to lose the weight so I improved the appearance with some shapewear (I think that's what the young gels call it these days). But it was so hot that I had to take my jacket off, revealing a short-sleeved top and fat arms which appear in all the photos!
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lost some weight in summer and felt very low-carby and happy. Now it is autumn here and all I can think about is lamb tagines and tarte tatin. Weight climbing back up, so I must do something.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been hovering about five pounds above my target weight for so long, I think I should just accept this as the New Normal.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An uncle in his 70s was told to lose weight ahead of a knee replacement operation. He did the 5:2 diet, with great success. He has urged us to try it and has given us the books. This is week two, and it's gone well so far; we've enjoyed the recipes we've tried and not found it too difficult.

The science behind it appeals to both of us; we're finding it interesting.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I did that a few years ago and was just getting into the swing of it when son moved in with me. He has no problem, being a bean pole like my father and I gave up trying to balance meals for two of us. It is good the two of you can do it together, some encouragement and much easier for meals when both do the same.

I have gone down another kilo although Mothers'Day saw a bit of a carb blowout. I ate away from home for every meal last weekend except breakfast! It does not seem to have caught upwith me yet, so I am hoping an occasional mess is just one of those things that happen in life.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

[Yipee] At the end of the second week, the North East Man and I have lost 4lbs each. So that works out at 1lb down for each fast day.

It's been easy so far, though yesterday's main meal "Chorizo and Butterbean hotpot" should be called "Butterbean, more butterbean, and a smidgen of chorizo hotpot"

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

At the end of the third week I have lost - nothing. But the 2 low-calorie days were not difficult, the new recipes have been interesting and I sleep well after a low-calorie day, which is a plus point in itself.
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I've come to a halt with the losing as well, which is discouraging. [Frown] I clearly need to up my game somehow - I set myself a target for the year and if things don't start to shift again soon I won't make it.

Mr Nen, meanwhile, observed to me only this morning how big a particular pair of trousers were on him now, demonstrating the gap between his stomach and waist band. I had a few Very Honest Words to say, to the effect that while I'm thrilled for him (Truly. Thrilled. Naturally.) that sort of conversation really isn't helpful when I'm trying so hard and not getting very far. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Nenya, I had been wondering how you were going. I
It's unfair, but generally men do tend to lose weight more easily.

I hope you can find a way of doing something differently that will make a difference for you.

I have caught myself eating more chips (fries) than is good for me. Actually none at all would be best for me, so I am going to take soup in a thermos so I have something hot that is healthy.

Sigh - Huia

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Having lost nothing last week, I am delighted to have lost 3lbs this week. The North East Man and I have lost 7lbs each in four weeks. [Yipee]

Today, however, is the Taste of Grampian Festival, and we fully intend to put at least some of that weight loss straight back on!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

But you'll be walking around the show-ground, which is bound to expend a calorie or three, and the food will be of such good quality it'll actually be good for you! [Smile]

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the end of Week One (and a bit - the Bank Holiday put the kibosh on my weekly weigh-in at Weight Watchers), I am pleased to say that I have shed 4 lbs.

Of course, this week only being 5 days long instead of 7, I will probably have gained some. Still, it is a Start. Again.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

At the end of week 5, I've lost another 3lbs! I've come down from 16 stone 4lbs (228lbs) to 15 stone 8lbs (218lbs). This week, instead of getting increasingly grumpy in the evenings of my fast days, I've been going to bed early with a book. This seems to be a win-win situation!

Even better than the figures, this week I sewed the button back onto a pair of black jeans which had been languishing in the mending pile for several months after the button, ahem, pinged off under the strain. I'm delighted to be wearing them again. [Yipee]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Lots of encouragemnet foir you thereNEQ.

I have been somewhat out of the loop lately and not altogether with it as to food. No scales for around two months but I braved them this morning, fully expecting a substantial gain of 2-3 kilos.I had lost, just 500 gm but a loss. So am getting back on track

Fridge is well stacked with vegetables, cheese and meat, so hopefully another loss soon.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, NEQ! [Smile]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I have dug out a pair of dungarees I bought ages ago, but have never worn because they're a bit too small. They are purple with a pink swirly pattern and I really like them.

They fit so long as I am standing up and breathing in, so I don't think it would take much of a weight loss for them to fit comfortably. I have hung them on the outside of my wardrobe as an incentive to lose enough weight to wear them this summer.

I posted that on the 19 April 2016. They hung on the outside of my wardrobe for a couple of months, then got put back inside.

I wore them yesterday!! Fourteen months after that post and about two years after I bought them. Some might suggest that purple and pink dungarees aren't a good look on a 53 year old obese woman but I felt awesome!!

Another two pounds off this week. 15 stone 6lbs this morning. [Big Grin]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

That's brilliant North East Quine!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
That's brilliant North East Quine!

[Yipee]

Totally agree - [Yipee]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those dungarees sound great NEQ.
Havign looked at my holiday photos I think I'd better start dieting now!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw myself in the mirrors of a clothes shop recently.

[Waterworks]
[Hot and Hormonal]
[Projectile]

I need to lose quite a lot; whether I want to enough to change is a different question.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I went back to Slimming World after two weeks off and I'd only put a pound on. I am very pleased as we ate out every evening when visiting my son at glorious restaurants, I enjoyed the meals but was careful at the same time to keep off the cream, puddings etc.

Back on the plan now - onwards and downwards!

Lunch is planned - a huge ratatouille with lean beef, followed by frozen raspberries mixed with quark (a fabulous 'free' pud, tastes like ice cream),

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spent six months waiting to see an obesity specialist--not someone who runs a program; rather he appears to be a Mad Scientist™ and tailors his approach to each patient based on evidence and experiment, which is refreshingly rare. After taking a full account of--well, everything!--he leaned across the table and said the equivalent of "If anybody ever tells you this is your fault, tell them to go to hell. [pause] Or send them here, and I will tell them to go to hell."

[Killing me]

Apparently in my case it's a combo of genetics, two-three endocrine disorders and four freaking drugs I've been given (see disorders) which cause weight gain.

I've been sent off with my world rocked to:
a) get a liver scan,
b) get a sleep study,
c) eat something that bears a close relationship to no-carb diet,
and d) study my little heart out.

He is also muttering about microbiomes. Oh, and my EKG, which is mildly disturbing, and I hope it's nothing serious.

He's also one of only two doctors I have ever dealt with who recognized Ehlers Danlos syndrome without having to go look it up in the back room.

I think I'm going to like my Mad Scientist.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is good news. Meanwhile, my doctor said I needed to lose some weight (the exact amount sounds less scary if you say it in kilos). She recommended Slimming World.

Had a look at their website. Low-carb diet with added body-shaming for £20 per month? No thanks (wonders briefly if the NHS Chief Executive has shares in Slimming World).

So I am doing the 5:2 diet like NEQ (with added exercise if I can ever find the time) and so far have lost about 4 kilos. Finding the fast days much easier now I'm doing the updated version of the diet (in this one, fast days are 800 calories with a 14-hour period of no calories at all either before or afterwards).

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

There is no body shaming in Slimming World Jane R.

I'm going every week and not once has there been a hint of it. I find it really helpful. Your weight is never mentioned, nor are any gains. But losses are celebrated and we share how we did it.

I tend to lose one or half a pound a week, which is very s l o w but I intend to keep going week-on-week once my target has been met, as I so easily put it back on. About five of the group do this and they remain slim and fit.

I've started going to Legs, Bums and Tums at the gym [Eek!]

Everyone was much fitter than me but I'll get there! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I've been losing half to a pound each week on the Slimmers world diet. I can't do it wholeheartedly as I can't really excercise (though I've found some chair excercises), preparing slimming world meals is difficult as Darllenwr has to do all the cooking, and he is an insulin dependant diabetic who has to have carbs., so baked potatoes and rice which are syn free have become more frequent.
We have amended our diet a bit - Frylight instead of oil (Darllenwr used to use far too much cooking oil), more fruit and veg for me, chips are now air fried, and I have yoghurt when he has a more decadent pudding!
It's going to be interesting to see how we cope as Lord P is going to be home. His fiancée has PKU and so can't eat protein. When she eats with us, we often have a veg stir fry with rice noodles - syn free.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Last week and this week ended up being 6:1 weeks rather than 5:2 weeks, and I've remained at 15 stone 6. I've been getting stomach cramps which I think are hormonal, but part of the joy of being a 53 year old female is having no idea what's happening hormonally. To be on the safe side, I've been self medicating with chocolate, so I am well pleased that my weight hasn't gone up!!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... self medicating with chocolate ...

[Killing me]

Do you need any help finishing it up? [Snigger]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Our scales showed 10st 4 on Sunday, Slimming World showed 10st 2 this morning, a loss of 8lb over 4 weeks including too many Cornish pasties!
It'll be interesting to see what the scales show next week. If the figures are accurate, I've lost more than 10% of my body weight.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well done on those weeks and the loss.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016