homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Want to lose some weight? (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Want to lose some weight?
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Protein and complex carbohydrates? Sounds like fish'n chips. On top of chocolate, the results could act as aversion therapy

You could do a variation on the Mexican theme and have Fish'n'Chips with a Chocolate sauce!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Professionally he is expected to get to the point and problem-solve decisively. He is very good at this. Hence his crisp analysis of the problem - NEQ is fat - and his solution - NEQ needs to lose weight. He's not trying to guilt me.

NEQ, we all need to remember that losing weight isn't easy. If it were easy, everyone would do it and we'd all be fighting over the last size 10 crop top in (insert clothes store of choice).

It demands utter and long-term commitment, and that's even supposing that there *are* no underlying metabolic issues. It isn't even as simple as 'eat less, move around more'. So the last thing you should do is feel guilty that you aren't able to take one deep breath, utter a quick prayer and Become Miraculously Thin. Does not happen, as the late great Sir Terry put it.

None of this is to deter you from making every effort, but please, don't feel you're missing something obvious here. You aren't (but if by chance you find the magic elixir, promise you'll share [Yipee] )

Yours in solidarity, Mrs. S

PS it can happen. My last manager but one lost 4 stone by the 'eat less, move around more' method, then she had to go to Slimming World to shift the rest. Great result, though.

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After 4 months of consistently losing weight, I have stalled for the last month. Maintaining discipline is not easy indeeed.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I failed to do that Caissa and taking it off now is a lot harder than it was 8 years ago.

Hang in there.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I dipped below 150 lbs. Hurray! Alas, that is a benchmark I frequently pass, going up and then going down. My goal is to get far enough down below 150 that I have some cushion for minor day to day wavering. In other words, to actually weigh less than 150 lbs! Hasn't happened in 20 years.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So May saw me say goodbye to half a stone, although getting lots of day to day variance...

Hello June. Which includes a summer holiday...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Ferijen. I can sympathise about the variation. It was March 5th when I decided it was past time to do something. In other words a few days over three months. In that time I have lost ten kilos bar a couple of hundred grams. I am very happy with that and have been dragging things out of wardrobe to see if I can wear them yet. many times the answer is yes. On the other side, I have thrown out some things that were just far too big and falling off me. Not worth keeping, I hope not to return to that size and they were several years old and well worn.

So ten kilos, over twenty pounds, a stone and a half, however you measure. Several sizes down in long pants. Very happy.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With Himself and Herself being away since Saturday I have noticed that I am eating far less than usual and surely this has to be A Good Thing. Certainly I feel peckish [esurient] at times but I find that if I do something like read or come online it passes. I think it is too early to see any difference but it does show me that I am eating more than I need.

Now I need to remember that and convince the others, too.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do people find filling, which is low in calories ? I am trying to have periodic days with under 1000 calories but unlike Welease Woderwick I can't distract myself from feeling hungry.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
What do people find filling, which is low in calories ? I am trying to have periodic days with under 1000 calories but unlike Welease Woderwick I can't distract myself from feeling hungry.

Plain yogurt mixed with a little prepared salad dressing on a salad. It has staying power. If you are making a sandwich, use very basic pita bread and put your salad into that. It is tasty and very filling without being high in calories or artificial stuff.

If you eat meat, consider having just the meat with some mustard to dip it into as a snack or a meal. It takes longer to process so you feel more full.

Home made popcorn - plain or with a little Parmesan sprinkled on it - for when you have the munchies. Carrot sticks and other vegetable sticks should be prepared twice a week and always in the fridge.

A cup of low fat milk made into cocoa is very satisfying. Use cocoa powder and sugar or sugar substitute.

Soups that have lots of meat or lentils and vegetables in them are great for a meal. They take some time to eat too. Alternatively, a simple broth eaten with a spoon, is very low calorie for those times when you have to have something.

If you like fruit, always cut it up into lots of pieces before eating it and savour each piece.

Sometimes a hard candy and a deliberate change of activity is enough to distract me from the urge to want to have something that isn't healthy or that is between meals. I keep a dish of hard candies in the cupboard with the things I really shouldn't have much of. Often, I open it to scan what's there and choose the candy.

Good luck with it! Remember, no one ever really figures out how to lose weight easily. Even people who have all sorts of resources and those who go to extreme lengths and have surgery still have to figure out a reasonable way of controlling a tendency to overeat.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quark mixed with frozen raspberries is like a lovely ice cream - honest, I love it!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The MD says my blood sugars have returned to normal range. He also says I would benefit more from dropping another 5 to 10 lbs in addition to the 20 I have already lost.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
11.6 kg gone in just under four months. Am happy with that and am very happy with iPad from eldest son as a reward for 10 kg. MY original iPad has seen a great deal of use and was rather tired and temperamental.This is the smaller one with 64G of storage instead of 32 I had. It also came with a keyboard. New to me, but not brand new. DIL upgraded and I have hers.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

An encouragement to those on this road and a reminder to myself to keep me honest about this journey, When my sons badgered me into this back at the beginning of March, I was asked for a goal. 15 kg seemed impossible then, but it is now so close I can almost feel it. Another kilo down today, making it 13.4 kg gone. I will keep going, I am not hungry or tempted to snack. I am wearing clothes I was ready to throw out as I had not worn them for years. They are several dress sizes down from what I was wearing in February and are now too big.

I have not exerciised as a very dodgy hip made much movement impossible. I have addressed that too. Weight loss has been a help in itself, but I have sought help from a young physiotherapist who is very good and encouraging. She is encouraging but makes me do things which I do not want to do and will not take my protests as an excuse. Who knows? Next week perhaps I will go for a gentle walk after my thrice daily exercises. [Yipee]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

With himself and Herself being away for several weeks I was eating less and feeling better and found I had lost several kilos...

...then I discovered Carrot and Date Pudding Cake - it goes surprisingly well with a scoop of ice cream!

[Hot and Hormonal]

Tomorrow when I see the Dr discussing my weight will NOT be on the agenda!

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going with a nonsurgical beriatric program. I lost 60 lbs over a year ago and have kept it off. I just completed surgery. Doctor says for next series I should continue to lose more. Goal is another 50 lbs.

Basically the diet is portion control plus low carbohydrates and high protein. Fruit very big

I am ready to do this.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I'm a bit rubbish at low-carbohydrate - I love pasta and rice, and since we discovered the Joys of Breadmaking™, I've eaten a considerably larger amount of carbs than I probably should. [Hot and Hormonal]

Still, good on you for keeping at it. Once we get settled into the new (temporary) Château Piglet, and get into the way of going to the Fredericton Farmers' Market, we might find ourselves eating lots more fruit and veggies.

Maybe ... [Biased]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Piglet, I love pasta too and miss it, but think that is more in my mind than anything else. Certainly, with eating proteins and a reasonable amount of oils and other fats, I am never hungry so they do not call my name.

About two months ago I turned up the hem of several pairs of trousers which were too long as they were loose. One pair of pants was a good pair I had not worn for ages, no elastic in waist but buttons and zip. The band was tight so I put them aside. I am having a sort of birthday lunch for one son and family who cannot be here on my birthday next week. I put the trousers on and discovered they were loose now when done up, so loose I do not need the opening. I have had to find a belt to stop them falling down.

[ 14. August 2016, 00:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For one brief shining moment this past week I hit my target weight, 145 lbs. Immediately went up again, of course. Now to force it down there some more...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I have sinned, grievously have I sinned!

Yesterday I was in another city,briefly, and went to a favourite eatery to see if it was as good as I remember...

...and it was...

...and I ate too much - no surprises there then.

I will be passing back through the same city next week and arrive just before lunch...

Bless me for I fully intend to sin again.

In mitigation I have only had breakfast so far today and will probably not have much more.

When I find an exceptional place and exceptional food I think it is okay to indulge a bit but I try to compensate later by being sensible.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
11.6 kg gone in just under four months. Am happy with that and am very happy with iPad from eldest son as a reward for 10 kg. MY original iPad has seen a great deal of use and was rather tired and temperamental.This is the smaller one with 64G of storage instead of 32 I had. It also came with a keyboard. New to me, but not brand new. DIL upgraded and I have hers.

Absolutely marvellous!

I still have (the same) seven kilos to lose [Roll Eyes]

But I am back on it and very determined!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... Bless me for I fully intend to sin again.

Good food is never sinful. Anyway, if it's somewhere you can only get to once in a while, you should enjoy it whenever you get the chance.

We're going over to Blighty next week, and do you think we're going to miss any opportunity to enjoy the delights of Cafe Rouge or Côte?

Not bl**dy likely! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks]

jogscotland advertised a new class for "absolute beginners" in a nearby park. I pulled on my elasticated waist joggers and an old maternity T-shirt, that being what I thought "absolute beginners" wore to jog. Every one else was in lycra and racer back tops. I think I was the second oldest there. I was twice the age and double the weight of some of the "absolute beginners."

Meh.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing is North East Quine is that is what the experience runners wear.

You go out to a park in an evening and watch the joggers. The one in all the lycra gear in snazzy colours will be no match for the guy in an old t-shirt and faded pair of running shorts. There is some reason to this. Firstly money goes first on shoes when you have run a while, clothes are there for comfort so old and comfortable are good. Secondly, the serious guys were running before the modern tech stuff came out, why change what works.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, all the lycra clad slim "beginners" were lapping me. I did ask one woman, whom I know, if she was a beginner and she said she was a beginner at running on grass, but had been running on the treadmill at the gym for the past year.

It's a good thing it was just laps, because I could not keep up at all. If it had been a start-to-finish jog I'd have seen everyone else speeding off over the horizon.

Realistically, I'm going to have to train to achieve "absolute beginner" level.

[Hot and Hormonal]

[ 22. August 2016, 19:30: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, that reminds me of the evening I went out with a bike group. It was claimed to be for all levels of ability, but when they sped away from me after 500 metres I chucked it in and went home.
I'm sort of still doing the 5:2 but have decided to weigh myself everyday, it's interesting how my weight goes up and down. I could do with losing at least another half a stone, but at least all my clothes fit.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, I'd really recommend the NHS Couch 2 5k podcast for absolute beginners. You might need to go at a slower rate but it really really is for those starting from scratch. And wear what you want...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. S has been doing that, or something like it - it really worked for him and he now goes out and does 5k at least 3 times a week.

NEQ, wear what you like, but at least make sure you have a good bra! [Eek!]

Mrs. S, wishing all runners well

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The North East Man suggested I treat myself to some lycra so that I can look the part next Monday. A moment's reflection on what I would look like in day-glo lycra has convinced me that I should stick to the baggy joggers and aged T-shirt.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many hundreds of years ago, when I had a spell at running, I found this worked - get one of those cheap stopwatches on a string. Run for 10 seconds, walk for 10 seconds. Increase the intervals gradually. As you gain stamina, stretch the running times as against the resting. But never start to run again before your breathing/heartrate have returned to normal.

(I got to the point of being able to run continuously for about 30" - but unfortunately I have a digestion deeply suspicious of exercise and never made it through Runner's Runs).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I tried Day 1 of the Couch to 5k today and struggled, but it was easier than the "absolute beginners" class on Monday.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

One buys fancy lycra gear in hopes of inspiring lazy self to stick with it. "I have to go to Pilates, I spent $48 on a leotard!" It is the last refuge before you drop out. (I speak as a person who could not tolerate Christian aerobics.)

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Christian aerobics??

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It was aerobics, to Christian pop rock. Horrible.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That still begs the question about attaching the word christian to other things like music, writing, art etc. However, that is not an All Saints discussion at all.. Thanks for the reply.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ - you shamed me into downloading the app and trying the first session of Couch to 5K last night - which was *interesting*.

I normally get a lot more exercise than I am currently and I'm in the meh camp too, so I am finding it difficult to psych myself up into doing more/anything. Couch to 5K is something at least.

I signed up for Walk 1000 miles at the beginning of the year but fell out of that one when I got flu in February which took me out for a couple of weeks entirely and then was on mad catch up of everything else for ages. If I went back it's still achievable, as I do walk a few miles each week just getting to work, but it is not to the level that I need. Booking walking holidays is getting harder as my daughter, who I normally go with, is doing too much damage to her joints and we're having to take it easy, no more 20 mile packed up hikes in rough country, I'm lucky if I get 5 or 6 miles in on a smooth surface.

I love swimming but I have had to give up because I am so allergic to the chlorine used in pools that it takes at least a couple of days to recover.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also signed up for the Walk 1000 miles - but only a couple of months ago after a colleague told me about it when she realised I'd set myself that challenge anyway as she'd heard me say I was planning on completing that over the summer break. (I'm now aiming for 1500 by Christmas.)

I only took walking up after a totally horrid spell of eating really healthily but my blood sugar levels creeping up and up with increased medication not helping. I discovered walking for an hour or so helped a lot. So more of my walking is actually in response to that (Probably the first 500 miles were stomped muttering dark and dreadful thoughts) but I've begun to enjoy walking for its own sake now not just because it has helped my health in other ways.

I'm not ever likely to be a rough country walker, a lot of my walking is part of my current commute, but I've enjoyed walking more on this holiday in Scotland on forest trails in Argyll as well as having done some much longer walks exploring my city in ways I've never really done before.

It has all contributed to the four stone lost since this time last year (and the eight and a bit since I weighed my worst). I am within a few pounds of no longer being technically overweight which will be the first time since I was about 4 in 1969 I reckon!

[ 25. August 2016, 07:24: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I still go to the gym most days.

I quite like it and love the air conditioning and posh machines 'tho Ihave to force myself to go - but I do feel much better for it.

I do a weird regime -

7.5 minutes cycle
2.5 minutes lateral trainer (murder, can't manage any longer at a time)
2.5 mins arm weight machines of various kinds
7.5 minutes row
2.5 mins lateral trainer
2.5 mins arm weights
7.5 mins row
2.5 mins lateral trainer
2.5 mins arm weights
7.5 mins treadmill (walking 6.5 km/h)
2.5 lateral trainer
2.5 arm weights
7.5 cross trainer
2.5 lateral trainer
Cool down stretches

Which adds up to an hour. Why all the changes? Because I'm very easily bored!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Japes, I am seriously in awe [Overused] - the distance, weight loss, health benefits and determination.

Of course if I did it it would be 1000 km [Biased]

I need to get back to Nordic walking. After a combination of injuring my knee and plantar fasciitis I have become more lazy, but as summer is coming I need to set myself a walking/healthy eating programme. Thanks for the inspiration.

Boogie, just keeping the timings straight would do my head in. I'd collapse under the weight of numbers.

Christian aerobics??? (shudders in a genteel fashion).

Huia

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Boogie, just keeping the timings straight would do my head in. I'd collapse under the weight of numbers.

Oh, they are posh machines, they do it for you.

There's a screen with each machine and you can choose a course. I was peddling down a canyon in New Zealand today.
[Cool]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My new phone has a step counter and I am gradually increasing the number of steps I expect myself to take each day, nothing too drastic mind! Today, with a nearly 7 kilometre walk at 06.00, I passed 10,000 steps before breakfast - and my calf muscles are hot happy! I have a lot of walking round town later so shall leave the counter counting, it's still exercise.

[eta: to and too are different words with different meanings - DUH!]

[ 26. August 2016, 03:55: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the important thing with excerise is doing things you actually like, which would rule out running for me, and which you can fit in with the rest of your life.
After Huia enthusiasm for it I've taken up nordic walking. I have Richmond Park on my doorstep and a very nice instructor who has walks at various times - all I need to do now is settle on a time for a walk and stick to it.
I also do zumba, because I like dance and areobics and yesterday tried out a local table tennis club. I really enjoyed it, and hope to join when they have space - it's very popular.
As for losing weight I'm finding weighing myself veryday is given me a much better idea about how much I can eat and still lose weight gradually.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Curiosity killed...
[/b]I signed up for Walk 1000 miles at the beginning of the yea...[/b]

Do you use one of these step counter thingies to keep track of mileage or do you do work out how long your walk is going to be off a map (I mean or more hike type walks)?
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I need to get back to Nordic walking. After a combination of injuring my knee and plantar fasciitis I have become more lazy, but as summer is coming I need to set myself a walking/healthy eating programme. Thanks for the inspiration.

Huia, just in case you are not already aware of this, the correct insoles can help enormously with the fasciitis. I have ridiculously badly put together feet, and need industrial grade ones, but I have pointed other friends with plantar fasciitis in the direction of less esoteric insoles and they have been delighted.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Huia:
[qb]

Oh, they are posh machines, they do it for you.

There's a screen with each machine and you can choose a course. I was peddling down a canyon in New Zealand today.
[Cool]

If that was based on Skipper's Canyon, reputedly the most dangerous road in NZ, then doing it virtually would be the safest way by far. Most rental car contracts forbid driving there and doing so voids insurance. [Eek!]

Thunderbunk, I too have industrial grade orthotics, made using a an imprint of my feet, and shoes prescribed by a podiatrist. The combination cost equalled the GDP of a small country - but in terms of an investment, one of the best I could have made [Axe murder]

Huia

[ 26. August 2016, 18:57: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

Thunderbunk, I too have industrial grade orthotics, made using a an imprint of my feet, and shoes prescribed by a podiatrist. The combination cost equalled the GDP of a small country - but in terms of an investment, one of the best I could have made [Axe murder]

Huia

Thank God for the NHS - just ordered my annual pair, which I reckon costs them about 20% of my annual tax bill.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

originally posted by North East Quine

The North East Man suggested I treat myself to some lycra so that I can look the part next Monday. A moment's reflection on what I would look like in day-glo lycra has convinced me that I should stick to the baggy joggers and aged T-shirt.

On the subject of what to wear for running, I would say first of all it's important to wear running shoes, not trainers. Running puts a fair bit of strain of various joints, especially for the heavier person.

Tracksuit trousers / jogging bottom are very hot to run in.In the summer I would always wear shorts but in the winter if you wear shorts, when you have a shower afterwards your legs will turn the colour of a lobster, so these running tights are a good idea. From sports direct they are only about a tenner usually, though tight is the operative word for them.

Ordinary cotton tee shirts can absorb a huge amount of sweat, leaving you a shirt that you can wrong water out of at the end, so I do sometimes wear a so called running tee shirt which is less absorbent.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Japes, I am seriously in awe [Overused] - the distance, weight loss, health benefits and determination.

Of course if I did it it would be 1000 km [Biased]

Thank you Huia, you are kind!

I did ponder 1000km as a start, but I think in miles, and there is that great Proclaimers song!

kingsfold, I do use a pedometer now, but my early walking was all recorded by consulting on-line maps and working it out. I think it's helped having the pedometer as I can be a bit more spontaneous about going off on short-cuts I know but the maps may not cover. I am not using a very complicated one, but it's not a basic mechanical one either. I started with one and the clicking was very annoying. It also stopped working well in a few weeks.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite often plot the walk I've done on something like walkrunjog and get it to do the sums

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure whether to post this here or in the geek thread. I'm thinking I want to be able to know how far I walk, and also what altitude I do, also whatever I get needs to tell the time. Smart watch worth it? Fit bit? Anyone recommend anything else. (Also want to use whatever even when I'm not carrying my smartphone.)
Any advice would be great. Thanks.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016