homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Want to lose some weight? (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Want to lose some weight?
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still 6Kg to go to target - Christmas intervened [Roll Eyes]

Back on it now - very low carb and no sugar, no fruit drinks, no dried fruit. Courgetti instead of pasta etc etc.

I'm enjoying my meals better and feeling healthier already after three days. I'm going to stick with it for a month, then have a weekend off as we are going to Heidelberg, then back to it. Even when the spare tyre eventually disappears I want to stick with it as I feel so much better - and my skin (psoriasis) is far, far calmer when I'm on it.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting, Boogie, about the psoriasis. I have noticed mine is better too. Still there, but much less a problem than at other times. Skin on face looks much better too.

Nenya, I like G&Ts. However I have switched to mixing with soda water rather than tonic which has quite a bit of sugar in it. I have even used sparkling mineral water when my housekeeping went astray and I found I had used all soda water.

I know there is diet tonic but not for me for two reasons. I dislike the idea of messing with food by making it supposedly diet friendly. Have never bought low fat yoghurt etc because of that. Unfortunately, whatever is used to produce diet drinks gives me an almost instant migraine after a couple of mouthfuls. I now work around that.

Son who is eating the same uses no carb maple syrup which he says tastes good. Not for me, nor the no carb beer available down here. I had no reaction to that and it tastes good, but philosophically opposed to the idea.

[ 07. January 2017, 21:27: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... trousers fell down as I walked ...

[Eek!] [Eek!]

I know it's probably the sort of problem you want, but still ... [Eek!]

Is your regime a variant of the Atkins diet - low carbs, but plenty of nearly everything else? It sounds rather good, except I've developed a liking for home-made bread ... [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out here the 'Banting' diet of LCHP (Low Carbohydrates High Protein) is very much in vogue. I'm trying to cut down on pasta as well as rice, potatoes and bread. Pasta is my great weakness.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ate Atkins for each of my three pregnancies. I guess it is a form of that which was successful then. Tis does not involve messing around with things and is easy. I do miss good bread but like the results I see.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lost 2lb this week. [Smile]

I confess I had hoped it would be a bit more, given the drastic changes I've made, but if I can average a loss of one or two pounds every week this year I will have achieved target by next Christmas. Here's hoping.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I already think I need to start over again. I've realised that I will need to seriously rethink my weekly shop. Because our church service is at 11 and we have coffee afterwards, Sunday lunch tends to be something quick, like pizza. I was appalled to find out how many sins there are in a couple of slices of pizza. From now on, it'll be soup Sunday lunch time. Thankfully, Darllenwr is supportive on that.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
... From now on, it'll be soup Sunday lunch time ...

That's all very well, but soup isn't the same without some nice bread to go with it. [Frown]

I suppose if you make really good, healthy soup with lots of veggies and pulses in it, you might be allowed a slice of bread ... maybe. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm horrified how many syns even ordinary things have - I'm going to have to rethink my usual shopping list this week. I had been doing quite well today until Darllenwr used the last of the Christmas mince pies for pudding this evening.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Son who is eating the same uses no carb maple syrup which he says tastes good.

I agree. It does taste good. But many no-carb equivalents of normal foods, including maple syrup, are sweetened with sorbitol or maltitol, or both -- the so-called "alcohol sugars", which are neither sugar nor alcohol.

They work because they are digested extremely slowly -- in fact, they are for the most part excreted via the bowels before they've had a chance to be absorbed. For that reason they really do a number on the bowels, as your son may have noticed. [Ultra confused]

I was at the doctor yesterday for my annual physical. My weight has remained steady although it's higher than I want it to be. My cholesterol and other blood numbers are all good, with the exception that I am pre-diabetic. I've been told that before. It's enough to get me back on the Atkins regimen, which has always worked for me if I stick to it religiously.

My weakness is ice cream. I can't go a day without it. All the commercial no-sugar-added ice creams are sweetened with alcohol sugars. In the past I've churned my own ice cream using sucralose (Splenda).

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back on the work fat club. Who can lose the biggest % of their starting body weight by the end of the month? One week in and I'm down 2.1%. No idea what others have lost as yet.

Breakfast is now a single boiled egg rather than 2 buttered crumpets. No sweets in the office drawer. Dinner is now mostly cooked veg and some mackerel fillets, rather than a massive curry. Seems to do the trick.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I've lost 4lb! I've lost 4lb!
I couldn't believe it when I was weighed this morning, and burst into tears, as it's not been that great a week, slimming-wise.
I'm setting myself very small targets - I weighed 11st 7 last week! so 11st 3 now, and my interim target is 11st. If I can consistently lose 1lb a week, I'll be content - ish. Ideally, I'd like to get to, or below, 10 and a half stone.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, St. G. - keep it up! [Smile]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good on you St Gladys - someone, somewhere will probably find it.

I hope it's not me.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done St. G that is a good loss for just one week.
After a few weeks of indulgence over Christmas I am now trying to eat healthily again and do more exercise. I've started adding what I eat to my fitbit app. I don't exactly think it is an accurate to the last calorie representation of how many calories I eat or use up, but it does give me a rough idea if I'm going in the right direction. I'm hoping its going to train me to eat sensibly.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, St Gwladys.

Have lost a little weight, staying away from bread, pasta, rice potatoes and sticking with salads. Smaller portions of everything and no chocolate allowed in the house.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Weighed this morning - I've put on a lb. and I thought I'd kept to the plan well [Confused] Ah well, it'll be interesting to see what I weigh next week.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went to New York City last weekend and ate a vast number of very delicious things. I am proud to say that I only gained 2 pounds, probably because of all the walking.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps tomorrow's march will help, too!

(BTW, if Trumpolini ever feels he needs to lose some weight, he could cut his head off. That would work nicely.)

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I calculate I will be on my feet for roughly 9 hours, so yes, it should be physically taxing!

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having remained, as my diabetic nurse cheerfully described it, "beautifully stable" on all counts for the last six months, I'm on the "Let's see if we can do this last half stone or so". My scales hadn't shifted for some weeks, and there wasn't as much of an official loss on the surgery scales as I thought there might be.

So, new far more precise food scales have been purchased and in daily use, strict portion control is in, and daily walking distance increased slightly.

I didn't get around to weighing myself when I first woke up this morning after a week of this regime, but the weight after breakfast indicates it's begun to shift again. I've written a note to myself to weigh first thing on Sundays!

Gulps - it will mean more new clothes....

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Currently 2nd place in the workplace fat club. Have lost 7.4 pounds since the start of the month.

Final weigh in is next week. Think I might go for a sneaky haircut on Saturday.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sipech, what about an all-over body shave?
[Two face]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have never been a member of weight Watchers but used to eat their forum back in the days when it was worth reading. Members used to speak of emptying pockets, making sure they did not wear a watch, visiting bathroom just before weigh in, and more such ploys. All really artificial, as things even out over weeks.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
I have never been a member of weight Watchers but used to eat their forum ...

Blimey - you must have been hungry! Nomination for Typo of the Week. [Killing me]

Sorry Loth - couldn't resist! [Devil]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Oh dear [Hot and Hormonal]

I checked that too. Will blame it on the heat. 39 forecast for today and it is almost that now.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lost a further 3lb. That's 5 since I started at the beginning of January. [Smile]

I am pleased. Still surprised it's not coming off more quickly given the changes I've made, but it's going in the right direction.

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went shopping, intending to buy new trousers. Tried some on in the size I thought I was (my 'bigger' size) but couldn't do them up! Refuse to go up another size so have now rejoined Weight Watchers online. Week 1 and I've gone over my points every single day however have still lost weight as doing it makes me think about what I am eating and cut down on the carbs, which always helps a lot for me.
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Lost a little weight, able to get back into favourite pants, etc. Craving pasta (the influence of MasterChef Australia on TV)) and trying to hide the pasta-making machine from myself.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also lost a (very) little wieght this week. i find recording what i eat on my fitbit helps me keep track much better. The main problem isn't that I overeat, but that i don't rack up a lot of calories even if I do do well over 10,000 steps a day.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I've lost another 3lb, so 6lb over three weeks. If I can lose 2lb next week, that's half a stone, and puts me in a new stone category, as I will then be under 11st.
However, we are going to a reunion on Saturday, and the diet will be going out of the window for the day. Two of our friends have 60th birthdays coming up, and there will be cupcakes made by a friend. The book of words reckons cupcakes are 15 syns each! And lunch will be bread and cheeses, and we're having a meal out in the evening.
I think I will be lucky if I lose any weight at all!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "syn"?

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Not sure how to describe "syns". Some foods are "free", so you can eat as much as you want. Other foods have a "syn" count, and you are supposed to stay within 15 per day or 105 per week. (Men are allowed 25 syns per day)
Potatoes are a free food, so you could eat a sack full of potatoes, but one praline chocolate is 3 syns.
I reckon I probably got through 50 syns yesterday, so if I lose anything this week, I'll be very pleased indeed.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am proud to say that I finally saw a 4 in the numbers on my scale, which has not appeared since well before the holidays. 149 lbs, go me! I immediately gained that one pound back again, but My goal is to get below 150 and stay there, instead of bouncing back up again.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
... Potatoes are a free food ...

Really??? It seems to me that in most diet plans these days, anything with even the merest smattering of carbohydrates is not only a sin, but probably one of the seven deadly ones ... [Big Grin]

What about bread?

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I've lost half a stone in the first month of the new eating plan. [Smile] I was a pound heavier the day before official weigh-in day, but shaving my legs and cutting my nails seemed to do the trick.

I'm still surprised it's not coming off more quickly as I really have made some big changes, but if it continues at this steady rate I won't complain.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well done, Nenya. Don't forget to have a haircut, empty your pockets and wear the lightest pair of shoes you have. Take off a watch, put phone elsewhere and check you are not wearing jewellery.

Jokes aside, well done.

[ 02. February 2017, 20:28: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well done indeed, Nenya - and remember the old adage that the more quickly it comes off, the more quickly it's likely to go back on. Slow and steady wins the race. [Smile]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Don't forget to have a haircut, empty your pockets and wear the lightest pair of shoes you have. Take off a watch, put phone elsewhere and check you are not wearing jewellery.

Official weigh-ins take place in the privacy of my own home first thing in the morning. Who said anything about pockets and shoes and watches? [Biased]

Thanks to you and Piglet for the encouragement.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

2lb on [Frown] . Pain au raisin and cupcakes and the best part of 50 syns last Saturday probably didn't help.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That was just one day, St. G. - you'll do better next week. [Smile]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

So far:
-4lb, +1lb, - 3lb, +2lb, -2.5lb.
Overall,-6.5lb so far. put like that, it's not too bad!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had to put a small tuck in the waist of my jeans (I hate belts).

It's a step forward but my - what a slow process! I'm beginning to think I've got a mildly underactive thyroid 🤔🤔

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well done, ladies! [Smile]

St. G. - it's great to see your "plusses" are all smaller numbers than your "minuses".

[Overused]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

If I don't get my act together in the next 3 months I'm going to have to go on some really scary medication, so 1 hr 5 mins walking today.

Tomorrow I'm going to have to get up early as the temperature is forecast to reach 30c and walking in that kind of heat is not a good idea.

I think I might go walking in the Botanic Gardens where it's shady and the korimako (bellbird) sits on its branch and sings sweetly (its actually saying Go Away but it sounds better than that.)

Huia

[ 20. February 2017, 07:24: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I had an obese friend whose doctor was blunt: lose weight or we'll attend your funeral next year. So he did, and shed 200 lbs. An encouragement to us all.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine is having a knee replacement soon. Several months ago the doctor doubted she could lose enough weight (and apparently was somewhat snarky about it). She took that as a challenge and has been losing it very successfully. That'll show the doctor!
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I've lost 11lb since the beginning of January. [Smile] I was stuck on the same weight for about a fortnight, which was discouraging, but then a couple of pounds seemed to come off within the space of a few days.

Feeling encouraged and motivated and not particularly deprived apart from not having a second glass of wine with my meal on Sunday. [Biased]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Nenya, [Yipee] . I know it hasn't always moved as quickly as you wanted it to, but when you look at your weightloss over time it's great.

An hour's walking today. I am finding a siesta around 3pm then a second walk after tea works well.

Huia

[ 21. February 2017, 06:48: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

A better week than last week when I put on 4lb - 3 1/2lb off, so 6lb off so far.
I'm not 100% about the results, as I have to sit on the scales. I suppose I'll believe it when I get under 11st.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016