homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  27  28  29 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the mugginess and humidity that gets me when the temperatures start to soar; when we moved to Fredericton people told us that the winters would be much colder and the summers much hotter than they were in St. John's, and in absolute temperature terms they were right, but in the summer, while it was certainly very hot, it didn't seem quite as moist, which definitely made a difference.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19776 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Weirdest freaky squall just hit. At 1pm the temp was 29, by 2pm it was 39 with hot gusty winds blowing twigs off trees and empty bins off kerbs. Then at 4pm the wind began howling hard and the huge trees around us were bent almost double. Every firies nightmare - suddenly changing to a rain squall with very warm water falling out of the sky. But within 2 minutes the temp was back to 29. Power is out across Canberra and the damage is only just beginning to be noted. At the northside markets heavy glass doors were blown off their hinges and shattered.

Our house obviously still has power but up the hill where my daughter and mum live, it is off and it is out across the street too. Hoping no more wind is on its way, as this would be a linesman's nightmare. Prayers for all the emergency services people who will be having a long night.

Indeed, they're still working this morning round here. Knowing it was going to be hot yesterday I retreated to the Big Library (hi, MM!), then emerged at 5 to find branches strewn all over the place, and my bus then delayed by a tree down across the road. Power still on at home however. A bit sad for the guys clearing leaves and minor debris along Commonwealth Avenue at 9 am yesterday - by 5pm their work was completely redundant.
Posts: 896 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For more than fifty years I've been driving from time to time past the house where my mother was born in 1903, and wishing I could just step inside. Finally I turned off the motorway last year, found no one home but left a note in the letterbox, and was invited to visit, which I did today.

My hostess had done quite a lot of research on the house, and had among other things a description of its solid construction in totara, rimu and matai in 1868, much more substantial than the cottages being built at that time for most of the immigrants. It's kept its, I think, original colours, and been well looked after, with some obvious changes inside.

My grandfather moved often for his health, and I don't know exactly how long they lived there, but I printed a photo for her of the family as they would have been when they moved there or a year or so before, ie the baby in the photo is the one before Mum.

That was a long awaited treat!

Here the weather is comfortable, if with some quite violent wind at times, while son and his family are swimming twice a day at Matarangi (since I have to mention the weather).

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2608 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last gig at my former gig place tomoorrow. Weirder than a weird thing. I hope I get outa there alive as I have one or two things to say. I won't be back. [Mad]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18791 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2968 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

What he said, Zaps.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20431 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the best, Zappa. [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 19776 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't need me to say don't say them. But prayers that all goes well.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6775 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cooler weather but still no rain, went out and looked at the patch of dust that was grass a few months ago. I save water from my shower but that goes on stoep pots and planters. Regulations against using hosepipes, water restrictions with serious fines in place.

Hope everything went well, Zappa.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 522 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Returning home from the relative cool of the Snowy Mountains to another hot coupla days in Sydee. This have been our extended family's 9th biennial Christmas/New Year holiday here, and could well be the last in its current form - the senior generation are struggling with the stairs and the terrain.

Back to work tomorrow, and university offers out tomorrow evening. If Biggest was any more laid back about this he'd fall off his chair.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2638 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bushfires reported near Vulpior's abode. Hope all are safe.
Posts: 358 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
Bushfires reported near Vulpior's abode. Hope all are safe.

We drove close enough to see the substantial smoke from the fire.
Likewise, hope all are safe.

mr curly

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have friends with 100 acres and a few "temporary" sheds at Tarago. Hope they also are ok with fire there. Just watching ABC news and there is a lot. of smoke and aerial photo shows a big area burning.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9520 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
King's Highway has now been blocked and fire heading towards Bungendore where B3 resides. Hope those we know on Vulpior's mountain have found safe refuge. It doesn't sound good and will be an uncomfortable night for all in these parts.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7048 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
19:20 and 39.4 degrees. I love Albury. [Roll Eyes]

Hello all. Back again. Hopefully I'll stay. Good to see familiar faces here.

Hope all went well Zappa.

[Votive] Vulpior and all dealing with fire, and our brave firies.

Posts: 7578 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello lovely Ian, good to see your iconic face again!

Lake George Hotel is taking in those displaced by fire, God bless 'em.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Ian. Albury was not the only hot place. My suburb was 39.8

When son was at uni at ALbury he swam in the river on a similar hot day but said it was icy.

RFS update on Tarago fire. Now downgraded to Watch and Act although RFS volunteers will be working on it through the night. 7:48 pm update.

[ 17. January 2017, 07:51: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Hi Ian! Great to have you back.

mr curly

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for the good wishes. We didn't get back from work in time to get through the roadblock so were stuck in Bungendore for a while. Mum came down with the pets and documents, but we've since been able to return. There's even been some rain!

We're probably a good 2km from the southern edge of the fire.

I suspect the phone and Internet will be out for a while.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 945 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good to hear from you, Vulpior. I think RFS want to get on top of things as tomorrow is supposed to be very hot again before a gusty change.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin says he's pretty safe, and if he is, then Vulpior should also be - but then there are wind changes. Even greater heat forecast for tomorrow.

--------------------

Posts: 6775 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear you're safe, Vulpior - long may it continue.

Good to see you back, IC! [Smile]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crazy summer weather. Yesterday I did some grocery shopping at 7pm and afterwards had to lie down with my feet up feeling dizzy with the heat. Today I am battening the hatches as 100 kp/h winds are forecast. In Wellington the forecast is 150 -160kp/h. I'm not sure how much rain we will get, but it's been heavy in the Alps and on the West Coast.

Hold tight GG and Arabella.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10169 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

32 when I went to bed. At 3:00 am, it was 25, at 7:00 am it was back to 32. I am about to close everything up. Forecast says change and storms in middle of day with a further wind change later in afternoon,

Bad fire weather.

[ 17. January 2017, 19:43: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That's a strong wind even at 100. Keep indoors.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Such a hot and weary night - even for those of us safe from fire - so I can imagine the stress of the country dwellers nearby. And summer only half over. Today is the anniversary of the 2003 fires in Canberra where 500 homes burnt down and people and their pets died. It will be a tough day for many.

TP and I are heading to the cool of the movie theatre this morning for some relief in a galaxy far far away.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Now 36 and it is not even 9:00 am. However forecast says change in morning. Allowing for inaccuracies in forecast, hopefully that means by lunchtime. I will have four grandchildren here today. My apartment is not small, quite roomy and well deigned really,but everything is closed and with four children here it will be noisy and warm. I usually send them upstairs to roof garden to run off some energy, but that will be like a branch of Sahara up there at the moment and almost no shade.

Vulpior, your district even scored a mention by name in today's SMH. Glad you are ok, but it seems as if at least one house burnt.

[ 17. January 2017, 21:00: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was one of our extremely rare hot days here yesterday, in the lower Victorian Alps. 36.
So, I went up to the top of my local Alps bit, and visited some folks. 26. Much better.
19 today at home

[ 17. January 2017, 21:37: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4895 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Lucky you. Over 38 here now before 10:00 am. I went to check something from freezer and tray of ice blocks smashed on floor. Cubes everywhere and corner of tray obliterated. There is another small tray still in freezer which won't go far armong four grandchildren. I have one more tray but it is cracked and unstable. Have just asked son to get me more in Coles etc on his way down here. The all broken or cracked trays will be pitched out.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
40 here and a bushfire has just flared on the edge of town a few hundred metres from us. Southerly change is getting closer, which will blow it back on itself. A few cool days and some rain would go well right about now.
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

Looks like we might have a firebug. Three fires in quick succession in bush on town borders. Brigades coming from all directions.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Prayers ascending for your safety, and that of all affected. Scary times. [Eek!]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I'd say you're right. Not good news at all.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Firefighters are diminished to skeleton crews because of the number and length of containments going on. Exhaustion is beginning to be a factor. They are publicly calling for assistance from those living on the outskirts of towns in the Monaro region.

Loved the interview with the man who was helplessly watching fire race towards his homestead, wondering what he and his family could possibly do to avoid it. Suddenly a huge machine appeared overhead, dumped its water and the fire was entirely extinguished. Can only happen like that when there is no wind, so he was feeling very blessed.

The wind this avo is ferocious. But at least a cool change and some rain is forecast for the next two days.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

That went to hell very quickly. Within minutes of my last post, the fire was raging along the road at the rear of our house. We started hosing the house down. Back neighbour's pool pergola roof caught fire, then embers set fire to next door's palm tree. As I turned from helping extinguish that, ferns on the far side of our house went up. Thankfully, the town brigade and a couple of RFS trucks were able to save the house, but we have lost our fernery and the workshop/storage area adjacent, which had much of my late mother-in-law's sewing and other gear in it. We have power but no lights, so just waiting for the electrician to see if he can get here. This is the scariest day of my life - I now understand what people say about the noise of a firestorm. The southerly change arrived about 20 minutes too late for us, but that has put others under threat as the fire changed path.
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers and best wishes, Barnabas Aus.

Fire remains away from us. The nearest through road is open again. And the internet is back, thanks to some quick repairs by our great local ISP.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 945 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds freakily terrifying - prayers for all in these situations.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That does sound terrifying BarnabasAus. [Votive]

Much cooler day here... Humid though.

And thanks for the welcomes back.

Posts: 7578 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waves at Ian Climacus! Lovely to see you again.

Adding my prayers for all those in fire stricken areas.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 1992 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I meant to add my voice to the Welcome Back lobby but my attention span some days is rather less than that of a gnat!

Good to see you Ian C.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Barnabas Aus, That is terrible news indeed. Preyers for you and your family.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Barnabas - way too close a shave. Thank God you had help so close at hand. And sparing a thought for all who are out in the heat cleaning up the mess a fire leaves in its wake. That is no picnic either. Hope you have some hands to help you out, BA.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

Thanks everyone for thoughts and prayers. We have many offers of local help. My wife spent much of the time while the brigade was here up the road at a friend's house keeping an eye on our 92 year old next door neighbour who has very severe dementia.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Barnabas Aus and everyone affected by the fires.

I hope the person lighting them is found quickly.

In my small corner of the world the threatened storm has yet to make an impact. I woke to clear skies and a wind that barely stirs the leaves of the cabbage trees. People living on the Canterbury Plains, and the Alpine areas were not so lucky, and in Wellington the wind reached 160k/per hour with flights and ferry services cancelled and roads closed due to either wind or
flooding.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10169 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big fire near Whitianga, our shopping/worshipping centre for Matarangi. Four (five?) homes and Wilderlands commune wiped out. In the City, yes cancellations, and noisy winds round the house, but we're relatively sheltered here.
I had to take a bus in to the city yesterday and promised myself that if the gusts that blow old women over had started and I had to cross the street I'd ask s sturdy pedestrian if I could hang on to their arm.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2608 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
...I'd ask a sturdy pedestrian if I could hang on to their arm.

GG

Reminds me of my first year in Wellington, doing postgrad library and info science. We had a lovely guy on the course who was around about the size of a medium sized car. He and I were walking down Lambton Quay one windy afternoon, when we saw a little old lady struggling to stay upright.

My friend walked over to her and said, "Walk behind me, the wind won't reach you, and my friend can give you an arm." The three of us proceeded to her destination, with him walking in front like a stately barge.

Sadly, he died later that year, of heart failure - which was just the wrongest diagnosis, because he surely had the biggest heart of anyone I knew. Thank you for bringing him to mind again.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3698 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Barnabas, today is very grey but not wet yet and a good deal cooler. I hope you have a cooler day too. Take care, both of you as you wind down from yesterday.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a lovely story, Arabella Purity Winterbottom.
[Tear]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9550 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Crazy summer weather ... In Wellington the forecast is 150 -160kp/h

150 kph last night. The house creaked like a ship at sea.

Twelve hours later it is relatively calm and gloriously sunny with blue sky, red pohutakawa and lush greenery. The latter owing to the fact that we have yet to have days consistently above 20 degrees.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1195 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Arabella, my first secretary was around 60, very slight, and an arthritis sufferer - very severe arthritis with quarterly gold injections and so forth. She would have trouble with even a stiff breeze, having to hang onto street posts and so forth. A pity she did not know your friend or his twin.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  27  28  29 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016